LGBTQ in Rome

shainky84

My fiance and I are sailing on an Italy and Greek Isles cruise next summer for our honeymoon. The ship departs from Rome, so we were looking for some info about the gay culture in the city...

I know that public opinion on same-sex marriage is changing for the better at rapid pace, but what else should we know. Obviously we want to be aware of our surroundings, i.e. no PDAs at the Vatican, but what holding hands or a quick kiss on a random street or at a romantic dinner? This will be our honeymoon after all.

If want to check it out, what part of town has the gay scene?

And does anyone have any recommendations for a gay-friendly hotel?

Last time I was in Rome was in 2007, but I'm scheduled to return next year for a Celebrity cruise. I can tell you that in 2007, I was there on my honeymoon and found that the city in general was very laid back and accepting. We had some difficulty finding gay bars/clubs as our guide books appeared to be out of date. But I suspect by now, finding up to date info is much easier, not least because of the advent of the iphone and the ability to search for businesses in your area via internet/GPS.

With the exception of 1 bar, we never went anywhere just b/c it was gay. Despite that we never got a sideways look, from waitstaff, hoteliers, etc., even with our open affection.

Edited by Vivere LaDolceVita

And does anyone have any recommendations for a gay-friendly hotel?

Again, we didn't specifically look for a gay-friendly hotel, but found ours was just fine. We stayed at the Boscolo Exedra on Piazza della Repubblica. It was amazing but pricey -- we got a great rate thanks to a happy mix-up on Expedia's part, and it really set a nice tone for the start of our trip. Other commenters have suggested Hotel Barocco near the Spanish steps. I've checked it out on tripadvisor and it has stellar reviews. Think we'll be staying there next year.

Vivere,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. If things were good in 2007, I'm sure they are even better know, especially, with the most progressive pope in generations living nearby. Glad to hear that everyone you encountered didn't seem to give your affections a second thought. Sounds like things should be wonderful when we are there.

Enjoy your trip as well!

Thanks.

Vivere,

Both hotels look lovely. I'll put them on our list and we'll take a closer look. Thanks for the recommendations....Sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about finding a gay-friendly hotel.

Thanks.

Vivere,

Both hotels look lovely. I'll put them on our list and we'll take a closer look. Thanks for the recommendations....Sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about finding a gay-friendly hotel.

Thanks.

You're welcome. No, I wouldn't worry. I never consider that a high priority in Western countries. I'd rather focus on getting the best/most authentic experience, rather than simply the "gayest" one. In places like some corners of South America or Asia/Africa, I would definitely seek a gay-friendly place out, but you're good to go in most of Europe. :)