Favorite cruise line and why?

saltydoge

LGBT family: What is your favorite cruise line?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. LGBT family: What is your favorite cruise line?

• Azamara
    • Carnival
    • Celebrity
    • Costa
    • Cunard
    • Disney
    • Holland America
    • Norwegian
    • Princess
    • Royal Caribbean
    • Other

• 3 months later...

Our favorite is HAL, but Celebrity is a pretty close second. We've been on a LOT of cruises on just about every line. As far as specifically serving the GLBT community, we don't fine one line excelling over any other. We prefer HAL because of outstanding service, good food, beautiful ships, a higher standard of overall "fit and finish" of the ships, VERY comfortable bedding, and a back open air pool on most of their ships where you can spend quiet relaxing time without noise, pool games, and bands playing. For us, the most important criteria as to what makes a "good" cruise is the fellow passengers we end up meeting and befriending while aboard, many of whom we maintain contact with and travel with later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi john.. I have been on celebrity and find the servive excellent but as for openess to gay people i find norweigan Epic the meet friends of Dorothy on deck 7 piano bar brillant.. I travel solo at the moment and find it easy to make good friends

hope we meet some time,,Gerald

• 3 weeks later...
Hi john.. I have been on celebrity and find the servive excellent but as for openess to gay people i find norweigan Epic the meet friends of Dorothy on deck 7 piano bar brillant.. I travel solo at the moment and find it easy to make good friends

hope we meet some time,,Gerald

I have found Norwegian's LGBT meetings to be the best, well attended in a good location.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's cliche to say on here, but our favorite cruise line is whichever one we're on at the moment. Granted, most of our cruises have been with Celebrity on the Solstice Class ships, which are some of the most beautiful ships afloat. But we really enjoy variety and sail primarily for the itinerary. We used to do NCL quite often, but found the overall product a little too lowbrow for us (too much cigarette smoke and cheap people); however, the gay meet and greets were always fantastic. We have done Crystal a couple of times, which has unbeatable food and service, but the crowd was a bit too senile for us. Lately, we are leaning towards Azamara which has an almost perfect mix of everything we enjoy. But as you can see from my upcoming cruises, we like to keep things interesting and try different ships. We don't do Transatlantics or anything with too many sea days, so the ship / cruise line is secondary for us.

Michael

I prefer Cunard. The service is good, the food is quite good, and there is usually a more diverse/international passenger group. As I board, I feel at home - less glitzy than Celebrity and others, but comfortable. There is usually a well attended FOD group almost every day that is catered with free appetizers is a more quiet bar where you get a chance to talk and meet people.

Cunard tends to be a bit more expensive, so you need to shop for deals. The best prices seem to be about 6-9 weeks before departure.

• 2 months later...

Right now it's Celebrity, a bit more than Princess. A few years ago we would have pledged allegiance to =X=, but the past few cruises left us with wanting a better experience for our money...so we're branching out and trying more.

Celebrity has been a good run, but hopefully Azamara in October will swing our vote over!

My Husband and I love Crystal Cruises. Only two mid size ships. I know it is pricy but it is pretty much all inclusive. They stock your cabins with what you like for drinks. Very nice upscale passengers and crew that are very gay friendly. Been on Crystal 11 times over the last few years. Also like Celebrity for more main stream cruising. Princess is next in line but only like mini suites and above on princess. Their balcony and below cabins do not have any sitting area other than a small chair.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey LGBT Cruisers💃🕺, Seasoned HAL cruisers here.  Love it!  Old school, classy yet affordable, friendly, accepting, and always a good time (My huz and me as well as the cruise line).  Our TransPacific cruise last April, had a great time with a large group of guys. . . . . . . . .apparently repo-cruises are the way to go LOL. . . . . almost 200 days at sea with HAL, and then we branch out.  

NCL, the ONLY time I have ever been accosted on a cruise for being gay. . .  will never sail with them again.  😫

Disney is not as "accepting" as they want you to think, multiple issues on the Wonder a few years ago. . . . so much for being all warm and fuzzy (and I like warm and fuzzy) 🙄

But never an issue with HAL, always been a good experience.  Can't wait to try Cunard though, and Seaborne, Azamara and Crystal. . . .  and again HAL. . . . 💚💚💚

On my very first cruise I was seated at dinner with a couple who had been on 60 some cruises and I ask them what their favorite cruise line was.. I loved their answer "What ever cruise line and ship we are on"..

Dennis

Jacksonville ,fl

732 days at sea

86 cruises

14 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska, Panama Canal

• 2 weeks later...

What I like about Cunard is their dedicated daily get togethers for LGBT cruisers in their nicest bar, even if it's a tad early at 5pm. It makes it so much easier to meet other gay travellers this way. Does anyone know what other cruise ships offer daily meets?

I've always found it very comfortable being a solo Gay traveller on Cunard...the passengers are generally pretty sophisticated and no-one gives a dam and you don't have to explain to fellow passengers why you're travelling alone.

Edited by michaelmouse1

Of the ones we have tried so far I'd rank them this way...I'm 40, and hubby is 44.

HAL (peaceful, relaxing and great service - suits us well)

Celebrity (similar to HAL in service standard but ships have more bells and whistles if you actually use them which we don't generally!)

RCL (good value, no complaints)

Crystal (my first cruise - no complaints but at that time it was more formal that we would prefer now)

Carnival (good value for the experience/pricing but generally too "loud" for us)

MSC (terrible - will never book again)

It is so nice if you can mix it up a bit with different lines and ships. They are are a bit different and have their strengths and weakness.  After cruising over 80 times  over the last 35 years (I am 65) I can truly say I have seen the cruise industry and ships grow and change.  I will say this. Based on what you had to pay way back when cruising today can be a bargain.  Most people were happy with 140 sq foot cabin with a bathroom half the size of a standard bath of today and just one little port hole.  Of course you have to had been around as long as I have to know what I am talking about.  I hope I am around to see and experience what ships will be like in 20 or 30 years from now. It is all good too me.

36 minutes ago, Kosh III said:

What made MSC so bad?  We're booked for MSC next year, first time. Usually do Royal and Celebrity.

We were on the older MSC Orchestra in the Mediterranean so if you're on one of the new ships the experience may be quite different.  The itinerary was great but we were really disappointed by almost everything on the ship except maybe the entertainment but even that was a hit/miss.  The food was the worst we have experienced at sea....no flavor, limited selection and repetitive.  The dining room service was slow, atrocious, the staff were either aggressive/confrontational or just ignored you. The ship was quite full so the public areas including the buffet were often so crowded we had to wait to be seated for breakfast and lunch. The reception staff were no better.  We ask for very little when we travel but courteous service we expect. The smell of the cigarette smoke was throughout the ship.   The stateroom was never cleaned properly - always felt like you were living in someone else's hotel room.  The poor cabin stewards never seemed to have enough time, always rushing about which likely meant they had too many cabins to look after.  

A friend of mine took an MSC cruise out of Miami and had a similar experience but she didn't have anything to compare it too (her first cruise) so that may have spoiled it for us.  She also commented on the service, tiresome food and unhelpful staff.  Be prepared for announcements in multiple languages (which we actually thought was fun until you are bombarded with them when you are trying to relax) and the international clientele can also totally change your experience - some nationalities were much louder and pushier than others and although we have traveled extensively, North Americans were in the minority on our cruise, probably 5% or less.  

We tried very hard to keep an open mind but by the 5th day of the 11 nights onboard, we were ready to get off.  We stuck it out for the amazing ports (Rome, Florence, Genoa, Marseille, Barcelona, Valetta, Olympia (couldn't dock due to rough seas), Corfu, Crete and Athens. 

I hope your experience is much better than ours was.  We had read extensively about how the experience would be different than the other lines we were used too but it was still an eye-opener.  I'm still glad we tried MSC but definitely not for us.

Edited by RoyalVisit

I have cruised with HAL, Princess and Cunard. Cunard is my favorite, I am doing my 17th and 18th voyage with them this year. Why. I am an older guy, not on the 'hunt' any more so I enjoy being around people my age gay or not.  I prefer Trans Atlantic voyages to jump on jump off cruises to the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Eight days at sea, well taken care of will leave you feeling terrific. 

There is so much to do. lectures, classes, shows, a great library. The FOD meeting have been well attended on all of my voyages, and I have made some lasting friendships at them. Being a gay couple, we never encountered even the slightest issue, and found that the service on Cunard is second to none.

I only travel on Queen Mary 2 now, because she goes to the places I want to go. And she is a grand ship, not flashy, but very grand. The ship is as big as any of the mega ships, but with one half the number of passengers so there is a feeling of spaciousness. She is also the only Atlantic Liner left and can handle the north Atlantic like it was a pond. 

The accommodations are spectacular especially in the Queen's Grill class with your own butler and bar stocked with your choice of wines or spirits. Being upgraded to a 2000 square foot duplex suite was a real treat. And finally there is the food. Wonderful, well executed, well served and in the Queens Grill you can order off menu. With enough time and with the provisions aboard, you can have what you want. Caviar, yes, Lobster, yes, Chateaubriand for two, yes. 

Expensive yes, but well worth every buck spent. And with a good travel agent you can get wonderful benefits. On my next voyage $800 o.b.c. an included drinks package (any drink $12. or less, including coffee and soft drinks.) and pre-paid gratuities. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've always loved Azamara for the friendliness of passengers and staff.  It has become extremely gay-friendly with LGBT parties organized by the Cruise Director and attended by the Captain!  But now we find Seabourn to be our favorite as we like the small-ship ambience and all the extra cool features we find there.  Very friendly passengers.  Lots of little touches that add to our comfort.

Edited by tv24