Early Del Rio Legacy vs the Sheehan Legacy

mianmike

The changes have not been that major. Plus there have been some positive changes, bringing the epic back to Florida is a huge plus.

Epic is coming back to Florida because it did not do well in Europe. It is not a positive change.

Edited by jmele999

I can't believe I'm saying this, but my cruise for 2017 is booked thru Carnival.

We left Carnival because we felt that NCL was more concerned about a quality cruise for a decent price. Now I feel that NCL could care less about its cruisers. We are not tightwads and I don't expect to get everything for nothing. We always book either Havens, or suites. We just felt that NCL

was giving the customer more bang for the buck. We are on our 3rd NCL cruise and would still be loyal if things had not changed.

Sadly there a fair number of people who feel exactly as you do.

Rochelle

I didn't ask for links !!!!

Unlike you, I'm not pulling pretend numbers and make-believe info out of a unicorn's tush when it comes to finances of NCL (or any cruise line, for that matter). You just want to see massive negative problem when through they're resolving Prestige debt while making a profit on top even with the changes.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Ι am sailing on the epic this january total price for 2 people balcony cabin for ten nights canary cruise is 1300usd with free ubp and udp plus obc...as you can see the epic is not doing well here in europe during the winter months...if it did well i would never have found that bargain from ncl!!!the spirit will be perfect fit for europe...on the other hand spirit would be a huge fail at port canaveral having to compete against oasis of the seas and disney dream fantasy...the epic can compete way better with these ships since she is just so wonderful...moving the epic to usa was needed at the moment i think

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm curious. What are you basing that comment on? That's the first time I've heard that the Epic didn't "do well" in Europe.

Thanks.

I won't speak for the person you're quoting, but the average PP / PD pricing has been lower on Epic than on other lines sailing in the same region this year and the US market is heating up.

I do think NCL should have done more to price/perk protect those cancelled out, but on the flip side the prudent move was to get a ship with a lot of capacity back to the Florida market where prices have been heating up. I think Epic is a good for Port Canaveral market.

I'm curious. What are you basing that comment on? That's the first time I've heard that the Epic didn't "do well" in Europe.

Thanks.

It was on conference call when they giving the 2nd quarter results that Epic was returning due 1) weak Euro, 2) implication that Europeans don't pay DSC, so it ate into profits, 3) lowering fares to fill berths. So that's why the Epic was switch with Spirit - less staff to eat into the profits and less berths/more high fares to make for currency rates as well.

Europeand didnt pay dsc so it ate to the profits...but wait dsc goes to the crew right???it goes to the profits???maybe is it true that crews never see this dsc on their pockets and mostly probable just corporate sees that money to their pocket???very strange this dsc thing...confusing..

Unlike you, I'm not pulling pretend numbers and make-believe info out of a unicorn's tush when it comes to finances of NCL (or any cruise line, for that matter). You just want to see massive negative problem when through they're resolving Prestige debt while making a profit on top even with the changes.

And still no facts.

Europeand didnt pay dsc so it ate to the profits...but wait dsc goes to the crew right???it goes to the profits???maybe is it true that crews never see this dsc on their pockets and mostly probable just corporate sees that money to their pocket???very strange this dsc thing...confusing..

They have to pay the crew one way or the other. Because there is no DSC the crew does not work for free.

The DSC pays the crew that is cover by it and judging by way Del Rio sounded regarding Epic & Europe - Guess Europeans are lucky to even have a year-round ship out there, because that crew pay from DSC-removing came out of NCL's bottom line. NCL didn't like that, so they gave Europe the proverbial middle finger by switching ships - Hey, at least you're not port of Houston. ...

Edited by maywell

Yep thats my point so by cutting dsc ncl MUST pay their crew their wages...so dsc is just a way for reducing cost labour..i am sorry ncl you are not going to reduce cost labour from me...no dsc for me..i will just Tip CASH the crew that i want

I respect your right to your opinion and you certainly have the right to post on the NCL board - whether you have sailed on NCL or not. However, our experience on Regent is quite different than yours.

That's understandable given that you seem to be "newer" (using that term very loosely) to the line and don't quite have the history pre-price explosion/service/quality/ cuts. Hence how my experience with what hes done is vastly different from yours. It further doesn't help that my experiences on his pet line Oceania were, outside of the Wine Spectator restaurant mostly abhorrent. Just comparing world cruises year to year there were fairly obvious and massive cuts. You're his new bread and butter cruiser.

That comment about sailing NCL or not was unnecessary.

The main reason I am responding to your post is your allegation that Titanium members were suppose to be "free on the first new ship". While I am not Titanium yet, I have close friends that are.

It seems a lot of your information for how things used to be is second or third hand. The offer by Conroy on a world cruise was that all Titaniums would be invited to the shakedown cruise of the new ship. Generally when one is invited the party doing the inviting is paying. I could see some wiggle room there I suppose. Signing up for the shakedown was a cluster and their policies for that are very much not friendly or appreciative of long term customers.

NCL didn't like that, so they gave Europe the proverbial middle finger by switching ships - Hey, at least you're not port of Houston. ...

No, they jumped to a hot market with a higher per diem. large multi-nationals don't tend to make emotional decisions or move assets around as a "middle finger". that's a very wrong and very unsophisticated analysis.

I've known this to be the case for a long time. Still the cheerleaders (aka investors) tell us we are stiffing the crew if we remove the DSC. They tell us that employees must turn over all tips from non DSC paying pax. They relish in their own self-righteousness because they increase it. When the bottom line is that DSC is revenue and that is why investors love it and bully people into paying it.

It is all non-sense. The DSC is revenue meant to offset labour costs - nothing more.

But how could that possibly be?

DSC-Cover crew are going to paid wages in one form (usually DSC) or another (by company).The way Del Rio sounded, it seem too many Europeans removed it plus the currency rate didn't translate back to better profits to cover the loss. So they switch ships - small crew to pay when removing happens than a larger crew.

At least they get a ship sailing year-round instead of just seasonally or none at all.

I've known this to be the case for a long time. Still the cheerleaders (aka investors) tell us we are stiffing the crew if we remove the DSC. They tell us that employees must turn over all tips from non DSC paying pax. They relish in their own self-righteousness because they increase it. When the bottom line is that DSC is revenue and that is why investors love it and bully people into paying it.

It is all non-sense. The DSC is revenue meant to offset labour costs - nothing more.

Or would prefer having to pay DSC by final payment along with the fare? I know the answer to that - You're not going to like paying $100 per person more on top and can't adjust when there's a service failure onboard. Let's be honest....

Or would prefer having to pay DSC by final payment along with the fare? I know the answer to that - You're not going to like paying $100 per person more on top and can't adjust when there's a service failure onboard. Let's be honest....

I tip the crew at least $10 per day pp. I do it in cash to the people who serve me, including youth workers. I treat the crew well. I think the DSC is deceitful and haven't paid it in years. If service is poor (only once when a room steward felt the need to comment on how single parenting is wrong daily) I reduce the amount or do not tip that person. The crew likes me more. I guarantee it.

What's more important slight ahead & down the road is the legacy of the NCL brand, not NCLH the stock company traded on Wall Street - not so much a debate about Sheehan vs. FDR (with little to no positive impressions to speak of, IMO) YMMV.

NCL fans can start booking 2007 to sail the "Pearl" to join Capt. Kirk on the made belief "Enterprise" theme cruise - about $1,000 p/p for an inside, details - TBA, etc. http://finance.yahoo.com/video/starship-cruise-ship-capt-kirk-120000964.html

On the subject of investment - we all have our own goals & objectives but I would not speculate on stocks that will appreciate and not paid out dividends to holders, others do & that's fine. We brought shares in CCL a while ago but not NCLH when it went public = consistent dividends (actually, additional "change" declared last quarter) when it was in the low $30's - nice gains, but not as good as NCLH :p But, what do you know - we've earned quite a bit from dividends received to pay for some cruises, that's like getting tons of OBC, unrestricted - and, when we sailed them in 2013 & next time - we get extra OBC on top of other promo's, not just a dinner or having to choose one or the other. When investment grow on a steady basis and issued nice quarterely dividends - it can really add up after some years ... one can hope & continue to wait on NCLH. We are going to do another mobile deposit & cash in ours again :D

It's not just some Europeans don't like paying DSC, especially at 18% (relatives in France felt that way) ... those wealthy Chinese prospects are not in the habit or custom of paying DSC or gratuities, 10% is plenty generous for them - good luck selling cabins there, their foreign currency exchange just lost about 5% in value (more to come) ... luxury brands like LV and Audi's are already taking the hits. Who really knows what will happen for those potential 2017 bookings :D

What's more important slight ahead & down the road is the legacy of the NCL brand, not NCLH the stock company traded on Wall Street - not so much a debate about Sheehan vs. FDR (with little to no positive impressions to speak of, IMO) YMMV.

NCL fans can start booking 2007 to sail the "Pearl" to join Capt. Kirk on the made belief "Enterprise" theme cruise - about $1,000 p/p for an inside, details - TBA, etc. http://finance.yahoo.com/video/starship-cruise-ship-capt-kirk-120000964.html

On the subject of investment - we all have our own goals & objectives but I would not speculate on stocks that will appreciate and not paid out dividends to holders, others do & that's fine. We brought shares in CCL a while ago but not NCLH when it went public = consistent dividends (actually, additional "change" declared last quarter) when it was in the low $30's - nice gains, but not as good as NCLH :p But, what do you know - we've earned quite a bit from dividends received to pay for some cruises, that's like getting tons of OBC, unrestricted - and, when we sailed them in 2013 & next time - we get extra OBC on top of other promo's, not just a dinner or having to choose one or the other. When investment grow on a steady basis and issued nice quarterely dividends - it can really add up after some years ... one can hope & continue to wait on NCLH. We are going to do another mobile deposit & cash in ours again :D

It's not just some Europeans don't like paying DSC, especially at 18% (relatives in France felt that way) ... those wealthy Chinese prospects are not in the habit or custom of paying DSC or gratuities, 10% is plenty generous for them - good luck selling cabins there, their foreign currency exchange just lost about 5% in value (more to come) ... luxury brands like LV and Audi's are already taking the hits. Who really knows what will happen for those potential 2017 bookings :D

Considering Kirks luck the last time he took a maiden voyage on a ship people might be a bit wary of this;)

I tip the crew at least $10 per day pp. I do it in cash to the people who serve me, including youth workers. I treat the crew well. I think the DSC is deceitful and haven't paid it in years. If service is poor (only once when a room steward felt the need to comment on how single parenting is wrong daily) I reduce the amount or do not tip that person. The crew likes me more. I guarantee it.

Again - if it was automatically included on top of the fare, YOU WOULD HAVE NO RECOURSE! And if NCL ever made it mandatory and successful made people pay it before final payment - You don't think the other cruise lines are going to follow? Heck, they're probably watching like hawks now regarding the room service fee and the a la carte pricing. Why? Because they too want to max out their profit margin - they copy each other in various degrees and make it seem like they were the 1st to do when some other line did it before them.

Regarding the DSC - I prepay before going on my trip, less hard cash to keep track off. Plus I already consider it part of cost of going on a cruise anyway, so its not a surprise expense to me. So if you like tossing out 10s like Richie Rich - more power to you because truth be told, I really don't give a damn what you do or spend on your vacation as long as you're not being a complete nuisance on mine. Believe me, chronic complainers while one is vacationing is downright annoying - so the actual NCL cruise experience is completely different from moaning & groaning that goes on in this forum. So you enjoy your vacation however miserable you want to be and I will definitely enjoy my relaxing 12 days this year and 3 weeks next year.

Considering Kirks luck the last time he took a maiden voyage on a ship people might be a bit wary of this;)

Would that be the reboot or the Original? Because either way, the crew was just screwed one form or the other.....