Going to Amsterdam.........

Lois R

I had a quick look at your cruise itinerary. AMA have a very good reputation and I am sure you will be well looked after. Canal cruising is very different to being at sea.. No waves for a start, but you do get the occasional bump going through the locks - those boats only just fit.

If you are thinking about excursions, the inclusive walking tours are usually excellent, and on our trip, they divided us up according to ability so that the energetic were not held back by the dodderers :)

For optional excursions, the only one I think you should consider is the trip to Bruges. This is a very pretty place and chocolate heaven if you like that. Just don't buy the lace which is mostly imported.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply:)...actually my TA recommended AMA.

She and her husband have cruised with them several times and I am

am sure I will have a great time:)

Like LoisR we are also going to Amsterdam. We will be there for 2 days (actually 2 half days and one whole day) prior to going on the Viking RHine Getaway in August of 2016.

My first hotel choice is The Toren, followed by the Hotel Estheria, the Ambassade and the Banks Mansion. I keep checking, but it seems like the hotels are all 10 months out for booking, so I'll probably have to wait until October or so. We want to stay in a charming Dutch feeling hotel, rather than one we would find in any city.

We were in the Netherlands and Amsterdam back in the 70's. We had no reservations except for the ferry from England and a rental car. When we were in Amsterdam, we went to the tourism board and they booked us into the Sir Winston Hotel - a little strange, but charming in it's own way. I haven't been able to find anything about it online so I assume it's long gone.

It was an old Dutch house on a canal, family run. No elevator - lots of stairs - narrow steep stairs. We asked for a room with a bath. When we walked into the room, the first thing we saw was a metal shower stall - in the middle of the room. The bathroom with the toilet was down the hall.

We went to the Rijksmuseum. Wanted to go to the Heineken Brewery, but it was closed that day for some reason - I forget. We went to some gardens. I can't recall the name, but I thought it was like Floriade. The thing we spent the most time doing, was going to bakeries looking for Speculaas. Now my husband knew the Dutch word - he's Dutch on his father's side, but he kept on asking for spice cookies. It took a while and many pastries :) before someone figured out what he wanted and told us they were Christmas cookies and it was June.

So this time we won't be looking for Speculaas - but I'm sure we will visit a few bakeries, We did manage a canal boat tour and that was fun.

I'm consider getting the Hop On Hop Off canal boat/bus pass. I looked at the routes and it seems to go to most of the places we'd like to see. We're also considering the I Amsterdam card, but I'm not sure we'll need it if we get the canal boat/bus pass. Can anyone comment on that? Have you used either one.

We're considering the Heineken Experience since we missed it the last time, the Dutch Resistance Museum, the Canal museum and possibly the Maritime museum. Oh and possible getting tickets for a concert at the Concertgebouw. I've read you can get them online before hand.

So this time we won't be looking for Speculaas - but I'm sure we will visit a few bakeries,

Nooo! You can buy speculaas year round at one of the many Albert Heijn (or any other brand) supermarkets. :D

What kind did you like? The crunchy cookie one or the softer filled one?

1.ah.png.png&size=testresult_list

25-11-2013-15-45-bild1487.jpg

We even have Speculoos spread, think Nutella but with speculaas taste instead! Hmmm!

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Nooo! You can buy speculaas year round at one of the many Albert Heijn (or any other brand) supermarkets. :D

What kind did you like? The crunchy cookie one or the softer filled one?

1.ah.png.png&size=testresult_list

25-11-2013-15-45-bild1487.jpg

We even have Speculoos spread, think Nutella but with speculaas taste instead! Hmmm!

Thanks! I hope this doesn't result in a search for the Albert Heijn markets :)

We like the crunchy ones, but the filled ones do look yummy.

Thanks! I hope this doesn't result in a search for the Albert Heijn markets :)

We like the crunchy ones, but the filled ones do look yummy.

There are some 60-70 AH's in Amsterdam I think, even the smaller AH To Go (at railway stations etc) sells the regular speculaas so get ready for some food craving. :D Schiphol Airport has several To Go's and one large AH at arrivals level/Plaza so you probably won't be running low on speculaas.. :)

Big plus is that speculaas is one of the cheaper cookies, just one Euro/ca. one dollar for a pack of 33 pieces (400gr)! Sealed in pairs of 11 cookies says the AH site so you will be good through your vacation. ;)

(btw any Dutch supermarket sells them, AH is just the most widespread brand in Amsterdam)

Cyber Kat, you may want to check out Hotel Brouwer also, a lovely little B&B on the Singel Canal. Its 5 minutes form dam square and we walked everywhere, we stayed there in June and again earlier this month. BTW, they even have an elevator:D

There are some 60-70 AH's in Amsterdam I think, even the smaller AH To Go (at railway stations etc) sells the regular speculaas so get ready for some food craving. :D Schiphol Airport has several To Go's and one large AH at arrivals level/Plaza so you probably won't be running low on speculaas.. :)

Big plus is that speculaas is one of the cheaper cookies, just one Euro/ca. one dollar for a pack of 33 pieces (400gr)! Sealed in pairs of 11 cookies says the AH site so you will be good through your vacation. ;)

(btw any Dutch supermarket sells them, AH is just the most widespread brand in Amsterdam)

I guess that's where we made our mistake - we were looking in bakeries. Never thought to look in a market. My husband's grandmother used to make them and I think he was looking to get closer to that homemade feeling. But he'll take packaged ones - he loves them! I like them too!

I guess that's where we made our mistake - we were looking in bakeries. Never thought to look in a market. My husband's grandmother used to make them and I think he was looking to get closer to that homemade feeling. But he'll take packaged ones - he loves them! I like them too!

Ah, yes, bakeries probably only stock up on speculaas and similar for a national holiday, called Sinterklaas, on the 5th of December.

But! The supermarkets also sell the speculaas kruiden, spices to bake your own speculaas. Perhaps a nice souvenir to try at home, with a wooden speculaasvorm (baking tin, utensil?) to surprise him. ;)

Cyber Kat, you may want to check out Hotel Brouwer also, a lovely little B&B on the Singel Canal. Its 5 minutes form dam square and we walked everywhere, we stayed there in June and again earlier this month. BTW, they even have an elevator:D

Thanks for this suggestion! I just reserved it for 3 nights in May. The owner has been super fast in responding to my emails. I am a little concerned, though, about some of the reviews indicating it was very noisy. What was your experience? Any other tidbits about this place, I'd love to hear about them. My email is dfp 324 at atmc dot net.

Flo

Ah, yes, bakeries probably only stock up on speculaas and similar for a national holiday, called Sinterklaas, on the 5th of December.

But! The supermarkets also sell the speculaas kruiden, spices to bake your own speculaas. Perhaps a nice souvenir to try at home, with a wooden speculaasvorm (baking tin, utensil?) to surprise him. ;)

That's a great idea! I'll have to be on the look for one of those!

As with Floinnc, I was interested in your recommendation of Hotel Brouwer, but was concerned about the noise issue, especially if the weather is warm and we have to keep the windows open. We will be there in mid-June 2016 and know that the weather can be quite variable, so open windows may be a necessity. We are a party of 5 and would love a small hotel or a b&b, but have had difficulty finding a suitable place with availability. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for this suggestion! I just reserved it for 3 nights in May. The owner has been super fast in responding to my emails. I am a little concerned, though, about some of the reviews indicating it was very noisy. What was your experience? Any other tidbits about this place, I'd love to hear about them. My email is dfp 324 at atmc dot net.

Flo

Flo and doglover, we were there June 2nd week and again August 1st week and noise really wasn't an issue. We did need to keep the windows open on our second visit and while you do hear people talking as they walk back home late evenings it wasn't anything which kept us awake.

We loved the location and quirky old building, dates back to the 17th century, all rooms have a canal view. The owner Boegem is a super nice guy and makes one feel immediately at home. Breakfast is eggs, cheese, rolls and croissants with coffee/tea/juice, not a lot of variety but filling. Lots of small places to eat around, the tram stop is a couple of minutes away, though you can walk almost everywhere from the Brouwer.

Doglover, they have a family suite above the living area, can't remember what the room was called but you can ask Boegem, I think it sleeps up to 5. This isn't accessible by the elevator though, you climb up one flight of spiral staircase, then again a few steps steps between the bathroom, bedroom and living area. The latter has a big bed and a smaller single, apart from a dining table and TV. We were a family group of eight and this was one of our rooms, great place to get-together for a drink in the evenings between outings:D

Edited by prish

Flo and doglover, we were there June 2nd week and again August 1st week and noise really wasn't an issue. We did need to keep the windows open on our second visit and while you do hear people talking as they walk back home late evenings it wasn't anything which kept us awake.

We loved the location and quirky old building, dates back to the 17th century, all rooms have a canal view. The owner Boegem is a super nice guy and makes one feel immediately at home. Breakfast is eggs, cheese, rolls and croissants with coffee/tea/juice, not a lot of variety but filling. Lots of small places to eat around, the tram stop is a couple of minutes away, though you can walk almost everywhere from the Brouwer.

Doglover, they have a family suite above the living area, can't remember what the room was called but you can ask Boegem, I think it sleeps up to 5. This isn't accessible by the elevator though, you climb up one flight of spiral staircase, then again a few steps steps between the bathroom, bedroom and living area. The latter has a big bed and a smaller single, apart from a dining table and TV. We were a family group of eight and this was one of our rooms, great place to get-together for a drink in the evenings between outings:D

Thanks for all the great information, prish. I'll have to talk it over with the rest of the family. My mom will be almost 88 and I don't think a spiral staircase will work for us. We also have a number of very light sleepers, so may need something a bit more quiet. We'll be sure to bring earplugs, regardless of where we end up!

Thanks for all the great information, prish. I'll have to talk it over with the rest of the family. My mom will be almost 88 and I don't think a spiral staircase will work for us. We also have a number of very light sleepers, so may need something a bit more quiet. We'll be sure to bring earplugs, regardless of where we end up!

You might be interested in this hotel. It is city center, has a lift and some family rooms (many of them with kitchen). http://www.lecoin.nl/en/

I have been reading all of the posts on this thread and tried booking a many of the recommended hotels that have been mentioned but ran into issues as we need a room for three. Many of the hotels do not have room for three and the ones that do (at a rate under $400/night) were sold out for our dates. I did find a room at this hotel (Amsterdam Wiechmann) and am hoping that someone can tell me its a good choice (or at least not a bad choice). Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Penny

Edited by acctgtogo

We checked Le Coin and they do not have a room available for three on our dates - August 4 - 6 2016 (two nights). I would have never guessed that so many people book this far ahead that things are sold out already.

A Google search shows that those dates coincide with Amsterdam Gay Pride, which is a huge festival attracting many thousands of visitors, so that may be a factor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ine...

I have a couple of questions for you.

I'm booked for a 5 night stay at the Hotel Estherea in Amsterdam...April 16/16 to April 21/16 before my April 21/16 AMA Waterways riverboat cruise.

How far is this hotel from the major "Not To Miss" sites in Amsterdam?

I'm looking at booking some Viator tours...do you know where this company has their meeting point for their tours?

Do you know any private tour guides that do "small group" tours?

Airport to Hotel...are taxi's easy to find?

Amsterdam Airport...Arrival procedure...how easy is this airport to find your luggage and depart to your hotel?

Thank You in advance for any information you can share with me.

Pat

Edited by 2Canucks