Going to Amsterdam.........

Lois R

I'd be very interested in this. Anyone have a restaurant recommendation?

Someone in one of the groups here recommended this one - The Pancake Bakery - Prinsengracht 191

It has some good reviews on TripAdvisor and it's close to our hotel!

Thanks for sharing your research. We have enjoyed all our visits to Amsterdam. On our last visit, we did the Museum Van Loon. It was o.k., doesn't take much time, but we did not ooh or ahh & don't plan to take our family there on our next visit.

Well - as I said, those are several we're considering. Thanks for the feedback, perhaps I'll move it further down on the priority list. I don't need ohh & ahh but I was hoping for interesting - architecture-wise.

Hi again,:) ...this is a bit different and I haven't been able to get a confirmation

yet, but I found a culinary tour that sounds fantastic.....I actually signed

up for it but haven't heard back so I emailed the company again today.

It is called "HUNGRY BIRDS"......

They require a minimum of 4 people.......anyway, if they don't get that

amount, I will change my plans......there seems to be alot of free walking

tours so I may do one of those but I love food tours:D

Hi again,:) ...this is a bit different and I haven't been able to get a confirmation

yet, but I found a culinary tour that sounds fantastic.....I actually signed

up for it but haven't heard back so I emailed the company again today.

It is called "HUNGRY BIRDS"......

They require a minimum of 4 people.......anyway, if they don't get that

amount, I will change my plans......there seems to be alot of free walking

tours so I may do one of those but I love food tours:D

Has anyone done either of the Jordaan Food tours?

http://www.eatingamsterdamtours.com/jordaan-food-canal-tour/

Gets great reviews on Trip Advisor.

We have been looking at both of these food tours for our trip in July. I'm leaning towards the Eating Amsterdam tour because it includes the canal boat. Both have great reviews on TripAdvisor.

BTW- I received the same email from Hungry Birds, Lois. And we're going to be 3 of us, so I figured they would definitely get one more person. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!

We have been looking at both of these food tours for our trip in July. I'm leaning towards the Eating Amsterdam tour because it includes the canal boat. Both have great reviews on TripAdvisor.

BTW- I received the same email from Hungry Birds, Lois. And we're going to be 3 of us, so I figured they would definitely get one more person. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!

Hi Lisa:), hope you are doing well. I emailed them again and received

a reply. Right now there are 3 people for the day I am wanting too;)

They think they will get the minimum and said they are fully booked through

this month. I will wait another week or 10 days and hopefully they will

get another person:D

Lisa - just realized you are the couple we met on the Caribbean Princess over NYE! You have some great trips coming up!

The Tuesday/Thursday Jordaan Food Tours also include a canal ride and Thursday is the day we would be going. I am going to give the tour a try!

Edited by Kylie

Lisa - just realized you are the couple we met on the Caribbean Princess over NYE! You have some great trips coming up!

The Tuesday/Thursday Jordaan Food Tours also include a canal ride and Thursday is the day we would be going. I am going to give the tour a try!

Hi! I didn't realize it either!! I think we'll book the Jordaan Food Tour for the Thursday we're there too. Let me know how your trip is!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a super thread with really helpful info. I've bookmarked it for my Aug 23, 2017 cruise out of Amsterdam. I am still in the early planning stages, checking out the hotels mentioned on the thread. I'd love to hear more opinions about the Movenpick. I know it is right at the cruise terminal and not close to city center.

Has anyone on this thread stayed there and walked into city? Also wondering about the metro or train stop being nearby.

For me, time is precious when traveling. I don't like waste it. Any thoughts will be so appreciated. Thanks. :)

Edited by Chelly

This is a super thread with really helpful info. I've bookmarked it for my Aug 23, 2017 cruise out of Amsterdam. I am still in the early planning stages, checking out the hotels mentioned on the thread. I'd love to hear more opinions about the Movenpick. I know it is right at the cruise terminal and not close to city center.

Has anyone on this thread stayed there and walked into city? Also wondering about the metro or train stop being nearby.

For me, time is precious when traveling. I don't like waste it. Any thoughts will be so appreciated. Thanks. :)

I am glad I started the thread and happy it helped you:). I cannot give

you any information about the Movenpick though. This is my first visit

to Amsterdam and I fly out 1 week from Tuesday:D. I see Ine answered your

hotel question:)

Edited by Lois R

Movenpick is walkable, about 15 minutes from Centraal station, but I wouldnot do it at night.. But tramnr. 26 stops near hotel and goes to CS too. From there plenty of choices in other trams or walks.

Hi Lisa, I emailed Hungry Birds again and they still need one more person

to make a tour minimum:eek::(. I fly out a week from Tuesday. I am going

to give it a few more days and if they don't have the amount of people

needed I am going to do something else.

Thank you Ine and Lois R.

Lois R. Have a wonderful trip. Hope you will check back here when you return.

Hi Chelly,:) thanks and yes I will check back upon my return.

The Movenpick is about 1.5 km from Dam square. Despite it's not inside the so called canal belt it's still a great location especially on embarkation day:

Tram 26 to Centraal Station every 6 minutes during the day (a 3 minute ride, 26 terminates at the CS so going further into town requires an transfer). No metro nearby.

Walking times (by Google Maps):

PTA - Bloemenmarkt 33 minutes

PTA - Rijks Museum 42 minutes

PTA - Anne Frank House 33 minutes

Public transport planner: http://9292.nl/en

Another hotel close by is the Doubletree which is a bit more closer to CS. But their disadvantage is that's there no tram stop in front of the hotel so it's either dragging your luggage back to CS and taking tram 26 or dragging your luggage a minute longer and do the entire journey by foot to PTA when embarking. Most taxi's would probably decline such a short ride or rip you off. ;) So any advantage of being a three minutes faster into town is lost on your last day. ;)

The Movenpick view towards CS (tram stop lower left corner, at the pedestrian crossing). In the new build "high rise" block in the center of the picture, looking at the last building in that block just above the orange roof on the opposite side of the rail tracks, is the Doubletree. The arched building to the right is the Centraal Station.

I am glad I started the thread and happy it helped you:). I cannot give

you any information about the Movenpick though. This is my first visit

to Amsterdam and I fly out 1 week from Tuesday:D. I see Ine answered your

hotel question:)

I've stayed at the Movenpick - our rooms were on the 18th floor and we had a wonderful view overlooking the IJ. Rooms are beautifully appointed and service is top notch. We disembarked from a TA cruise and it was so convenient! We stayed 5 days in Amsterdam & then took the overnight train to Prague (the Movenpick is very convenient to Centraal train station & the hotel offers a free shuttle service to Centraal train station - perfect).

We usually took the tram (#26 - across the street from the hotel - it was faster than walking) from the hotel to the train station - saved our feet for walking around the city. We purchased tram passes (good on both the trams & metro) and used these to get further afield (such as the Rijksmuseum).

I booked our rooms on Priceline's NYOP and got a great deal - much less than the hotel's (or Booking.com) advertised price. If I remember correctly, our rooms were about $100 per night versus the advertised price of about $230 per night. :D

Amsterdam is a lovely city - enjoy your stay.

Edited by dogs4fun

Ine, if you are still reading this thread......I was wanting to do the Culinary

excursion I mentioned earlier but it looks like that may not happen.

So, Instead of doing a tour, do you know if the Van Gogh Museum, The

Jewish Museum and Portuguese Synagogue are within walking distance

of The Banks Mansion? I may just decide to find somewhere to eat

lunch, see these 3 places and then find somewhere to eat dinner near

the hotel too.

Wow. This thread keeps getting better. Full of first-hand knowledge and good info. Thanks again for helping me make a decision. While I think Movenpick is a great choice, as a first time visiter to Amsterdam, one of the suggested hotels closer to city central will work better for me. I often walk around alone in the evening.

I'll be back again soon with more questions. :D