Civil War Cruise: Booking tips? Contacts? Deals?

gold1959

I am seriously interested in booking the spring 2016 American Queen "Civil War Cruise", as it's my US Army Ret. history-buff hubby's dream cruise! I am trying to find a travel agent who may have a "deal" or some perks- Something to offer above and beyond what AQ offers... They are ferociously expensive, and the reviews online are quite mixed, so that is one serious concern I have... The other is that when I called AQ, they were very cold, snooty, & and almost sarcastic when I spoke with them, and made it clear that they do not have to offer any deals and don't... Any info, advice, or help would be deeply appreciated! He's US Army Retired, & over 65, & I'm a FEMA Disaster Response Manager & Official Artist for the USCG, & we're in the hospitality business (we own an historic inn in WV, and I write our travel blog), if any of that helps! :D

River voyaging on the American Queen is fair-priced, as it should be for the lido (spa) quality received in payment. You are seeking a "fair price," right?? Accept the fact that American crews require a greater investment to employ than would be required if you were voyaging elsewhere. But be patient, not pushy, the American Queen publishes discounts regularly, and most of us take advantage of them. The secret bargain (if such a thing exists) is the inside cabin. Same scrupulous service, and the Front Porch is only steps away. :D

We have a fabulous travel agent for AQ, one who is close to the cruise line, knows everyone and can be na great help in decisions about cabin choice, etc. But, she gets us no deals or perks that aren't available to everyone.

There have been good deals on slow selling cruises, but the Civil War cruises are very popular and they really don't need to offer any incentives. You can call it snooty, but they are just offering facts.

The cruises are pricey, but they reflect the costs of doing business on an American-built, American flagged boat with all American staff, meeting American guidelines regarding wages, vacations, work hours etc., as required by law on vessels that sail only American ports.

• 3 weeks later...
We have a fabulous travel agent for AQ, one who is close to the cruise line, knows everyone and can be na great help in decisions about cabin choice, etc. But, she gets us no deals or perks that aren't available to everyone.

There have been good deals on slow selling cruises, but the Civil War cruises are very popular and they really don't need to offer any incentives. You can call it snooty, but they are just offering facts.

The cruises are pricey, but they reflect the costs of doing business on an American-built, American flagged boat with all American staff, meeting American guidelines regarding wages, vacations, work hours etc., as required by law on vessels that sail only American ports.

Hondorner,

You are quite right about what an American River Cruise commands in price..Although we are saving for this cruise, IMHO, The representatives I have spoken too, :eek: are nasty, rude and extremely disrespectful.

I sincerely hope that the attendants on board are nothing like their land based co-workers.:eek:

Our experience (several voyages on American Queen) has been positive from beginning to end. I hope that folk considering an American Queen voyage won't take the carping at this forum site to be the last word. We aren't "high-end travelers" and we piled up hard-earned cash to make these voyages. But the value we received was well worth it, and the company handled our bookings in an exemplary fashion, very professional, courteous, sympathetic, understanding and impeccably thorough. Please, allow for some grace...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your comments. We did book the Civil War Cruise for March! :D (For that same money we could have gone to China- one of my "bucket list trips"-, or had a 2-week Caribbean cruise with cash left over, but, whatever... LOL) I found a travel agent who was able to give us $325 in on-board credit, which was The best deal I could find. I've never worked with this agent before, but I did some research on the company and it looks reputable. Now I've gotta plan a road trip from WV to Memphis! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We must be the only two couples on the ship! Very quite thread here.

We have our flights and pre and post hotels booked...looking forward to this adventure....

Hoping Vicksburg is not still underwater...yikes

Dolores

Edited by hillslife

We hope Vicksburg's okay, too! I'm actually a FEMA Disaster Response Manager, and I have been following several disaster operations, as friends have been deployed to them, but I wasn't aware Vicksburg had a serious mess, too... :eek:

I booked the Vicksburg excursion (it's free, but you have to register for it on the website and pick which time you want- we took the one at noon), and the excursion in Natchez to the cotton plantation, which sounded interesting to us. I will probably also book us the one in Greenville, MS to the BB King Museum and Jazz Club, as, from my research, there doesn't seem to be anything to do in Greenville, and the music sounds good...

We have an inn in WV, and got our inn-and-pet-sitter set up (YAY!), and so I'm now planning our "road trip" from WV to Memphis. We are taking a week, going first to Gatlinberg for a couple of days, as everyone raves about it (I am secretly hoping the ski resort there might finally be open & I can spend a day skiing...), then Nashville (taking a private tour of battlefields in that area with a guide from toursbylocals.com which we have used before- it's a great way to find local guides all over the world...), and then going to the Shiloh Battlefield site and cemetery, as that is where my husband's great-great grandfather is buried- he died fighting for the Union at the beginning of that battle... Then we're spending 2 nights in Memphis; splurging on a stay at the Peabody (I have to see the ducks! LOL) and hubs wants to go to Graceland... & we Have to do the BBQ Foodie Tour! :D We're staying for several days in NOLA on the return- doing the "foodie" thing (hubs is a chef- he's my excuse LOL) and taking a cooking class, and staying for the St. Pats Day parades on 3/17, before taking Amtrak back to Memphis to pick up our car and drive home... Due to having an inn, we can only ever get away in the winter, and it is EVIL cold right now in so. WV: snow yesterday, & a snowstorm possibly to hit again tomorrow :eek:, and I am wearing 3 layers of clothing and heated gloves LOL, so I am REALLY looking forward to this trip & cruise! :D Right now I'm reading "Shiloh" by Shelby Foote, and I read Safire's book "Freedom" on Lincoln and the war in preparation- my Army hubs is the history guy, and I'm playing catch-up- and it's fun!

I think for me planning our trips is 1/3 the joy- I get to do research & learn about places to go and things to see and eat and do and drink! :)

Elisse

We must be the only two couples on the ship! Very quite thread here.

We have our flights and pre and post hotels booked...looking forward to this adventure....

Hoping Vicksburg is not still underwater...yikes

Dolores

Hi Elisse...sounds like you are very organized and have a great plan.

We are flying into Memphis 3 nights early..lots to see there, including the Peabody ducks..congrats on your hotel choice. I wanna see the ducks, but didn't book the hotel...$$$$. We are doing Graceland also, probably Friday, March 4th.

We did book the Vicksburg free tour online..we are doing the early one so we can explore the port/town area when we get back.

Haven't booked any other excursions..probably just do the hoho bus they offer and go back to whatever interests us ...haven't travelled to this area.

Looking forward to this adventure...

Dolores

Got an email about very discounted prices on this Civil War cruise on March 6th...but when I called, they said new bookings only...so no adjustment to price made:mad: Frustrating when you book ahead and then see a much lower $$$$.....

So obviously he ship is not sold out......

Edited by hillslife

I did NOT get that email. :-( PLEASE forward it to our travel agent- he got you guys through me.) Please use my name, too, and tell him that we are NOT happy campers, and that I, like you, want the difference refunded to our credit cards. Grrrr...

I just emailed our agent with your info. This ought to be interesting... LOL

(quote=hillslife;48896314]Got an email about very discounted prices on this Civil War cruise on March 6th...but when I called, they said new bookings only...so no adjustment to price made:mad: Frustrating when you book ahead and then see a much lower $$$$.....

So obviously he ship is not sold out......

Just looking through my email trash...must have deleted it already so I don't have it. If I get another, I will post it here. I did not book with the same agent you did...booked directly with the company, so think you got a better deal with OBC , but it was last minute for there New Years sale and I didn't want to miss it entirely or the last of the lowest price veranda cabins...rolleyes:

Dolores

Edited by hillslife

It was in their website too.....here is the deal......but small print says "new bookings only" so they wouldn't help me. Said I could cancel and rebook, but $1500 cancel fee...so that would cost more....

2016 American Queen March Savings

Special flat rate fares from $1,999 per person on 2016 American Queen March voyages!

OFFER DETAILS

Sale Dates Days Itinerary Theme

March 6, 2016 9 Memphis to New Orleans Civil War

March 13, 2016 9 New Orleans to Memphis Antebellum South

March 20, 2016 9 Memphis to New Orleans Antebellum South

Category Double Occupancy Flat Rate* Single Occupancy Flat Rate*

AAA, AA, A $5,049 - $4,499 Now $2,499 pp $10,098 - $8,998 Now $3,199

B, C $4,699 - $3,699 Now $2,249 pp $9,398 - $7,398 Now $2,849

D, E, F, G $3,599 - $2,249 Now $1,999 pp $7,198 - $4,498 Now $2,499

Terms & Conditions:

*Pay flat rate of $2,499 per person ($4,998 per stateroom) on double occupancy cruise fare for American Queen cabin categories AAA, AA, A or Solo travelers pay flat rate of $3,199. Pay flat rate of $2,249 per person ($$4,498 per stateroom) on double occupancy cruise fare for American Queen cabin categories B, C or Solo travelers pay flat rate of $2,849. Pay flat rate of $1,999 per person ($3,998 per stateroom) on double occupancy cruise fare for American Queen cabin categories D, E, F, G or Solo travelers pay flat rate of $2,499. Offers are only valid on these American Queen 2016 voyage dates: 3/06, 3/13 and 3/20.

Offers expire when no qualifying cabins are available. Offers are not valid on American Queen 2016 voyage date: 3/27. Offers are only valid on new, paid-in-full bookings. Full payment at time of booking is required to redeem these offers and cabins will not be held without full payment. Offers open to U.S. and Canada residents only. Not valid on Group bookings or existing reservations; cannot be combined with other promotions or discounts. Promotional fares and amenities are capacity controlled, may vary by sailing and may be withdrawn without notice. Cruise fare does not include government taxes and fees, port charges, gratuities, airfare, insurance, personal expenditures, and transportation costs incurred while traveling to and from embarkation ports. Not responsible for errors or omissions. Additional terms and conditions may apply - call for details.

Edited by hillslife

I have been in close email touch with our Travel Agent about this, and after he contacted AQ and got nowhere, he "escalated" it, and is fighting for us.

I thought you had booked with him, too...

He contacted AQ and they were adamant about doing nothing. He told me that they actually told him there is a $2200 difference :eek: between what we paid and the new prices, and he was Very angry; he told them that the agency will not recommend them unless they fix this, and that, as I stated, it is Crazy to make your first-time cruisers angry and feel cheated before they have even set foot on board! And also that, obviously, our online reviews will reflect this issue... Our insurance will not cover canceling for this reason, and we have our road-trip booked as well, so we're stuck... Waiting to see what he can do. He has been a Great agent...

What is odd to me is that I followed this cruise for a couple of years and the Civil War cruise Never turned up on their "Last Minute Deals"- it was always sold out...

I want this cruise and trip to be Wonderful, so whatever it is, it is!

Elisse

It was in their website too.....here is the deal......but small print says "new bookings only" so they wouldn't help me. Said I could cancel and rebook, but $1500 cancel fee...so that would cost more....

2016 American Queen March Savings

Special flat rate fares from $1,999 per person on 2016 American Queen March voyages!

OFFER DETAILS

Sale Dates Days Itinerary Theme

March 6, 2016 9 Memphis to New Orleans Civil War

March 13, 2016 9 New Orleans to Memphis Antebellum South

March 20, 2016 9 Memphis to New Orleans Antebellum South

Category Double Occupancy Flat Rate* Single Occupancy Flat Rate*

AAA, AA, A $5,049 - $4,499 Now $2,499 pp $10,098 - $8,998 Now $3,199

B, C $4,699 - $3,699 Now $2,249 pp $9,398 - $7,398 Now $2,849

D, E, F, G $3,599 - $2,249 Now $1,999 pp $7,198 - $4,498 Now $2,499

Terms & Conditions:

*Pay flat rate of $2,499 per person ($4,998 per stateroom) on double occupancy cruise fare for American Queen cabin categories AAA, AA, A or Solo travelers pay flat rate of $3,199. Pay flat rate of $2,249 per person ($$4,498 per stateroom) on double occupancy cruise fare for American Queen cabin categories B, C or Solo travelers pay flat rate of $2,849. Pay flat rate of $1,999 per person ($3,998 per stateroom) on double occupancy cruise fare for American Queen cabin categories D, E, F, G or Solo travelers pay flat rate of $2,499. Offers are only valid on these American Queen 2016 voyage dates: 3/06, 3/13 and 3/20.

Offers expire when no qualifying cabins are available. Offers are not valid on American Queen 2016 voyage date: 3/27. Offers are only valid on new, paid-in-full bookings. Full payment at time of booking is required to redeem these offers and cabins will not be held without full payment. Offers open to U.S. and Canada residents only. Not valid on Group bookings or existing reservations; cannot be combined with other promotions or discounts. Promotional fares and amenities are capacity controlled, may vary by sailing and may be withdrawn without notice. Cruise fare does not include government taxes and fees, port charges, gratuities, airfare, insurance, personal expenditures, and transportation costs incurred while traveling to and from embarkation ports. Not responsible for errors or omissions. Additional terms and conditions may apply - call for details.

Good luck....hope you get good news. They were very adamant when I talked to them that there was nothing we could do....sooooo, we will move forward and enjoy the trip...we are all planned too! But does leave a bad taste:rolleyes:

Dolores

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elisse/gold1959... Any news from your TA? Trip is coming up fast. We got an email yesterday that we have a package coming from AQSC...not sure what it is, but should be here Thursday....will keep you posted. But no price reduction that I know if:(

Dolores

We just got our "package" from our TA- our cruise documents. That is probably what AQ has sent you.

I emailed him this morning- haven't heard back yet, but it doesn't look like they got anywhere, even though they "escalated" it, or I would have heard from him. At least we got the little bit of OBC which paid for 2 excursions. The agency apparently made it very clear to AQ that this was a very short-sighted and, frankly, stupid way for them to treat their early-booking cruisers, esp. first-time cruisers; a $2200 difference is HUGE. We're in the hospitality business, and I have a travel blog, as well as posting many reviews on TripAdvisor, CruiseCritic, etc., so this issue won't go unreported... I pride myself on doing a LOT of travel research and always getting "the" best deals, so this Really ticked me off! LOL

But what can I say? "Whatever it is, it is"! Hoping for a wonderful, fun cruise! I can't make myself crazy over this, or let it spoil our holiday!

Elisse

Hi Elisse/gold1959... Any news from your TA? Trip is coming up fast. We got an email yesterday that we have a package coming from AQSC...not sure what it is, but should be here Thursday....will keep you posted. But no price reduction that I know if:(

Dolores

You are right..package arrived yesterday..it is luggage tags,shore excursion info, etc. didn't know anyone actually used snail mail for that any more.

I'm going to put the price thing away too, it is what it is, but like you, I always search for the best deal and don't like to feel used:(. Looking forward to meeting you soon...safe travels.

Dolores

• 3 months later...

Sorry we never got to meet you!

We had a wonderful time- SO hope you did, too! For us it was a GREAT cruise and we'd do it again in a heartbeat- we'd LOVE to do their entire cruise down the Mississippi from Minnesota! I blogged about it on my blog- "We Live In The Country": http://www.southernwestvirginia.blogspot.com - and also about our History/Food/Music road trip through TN & LA. We really LOVED the calliope concerts, and the live, period music, the "Riverlorian", the original 1926 steam engine, the authentic, period decor, dancing almost every night, the little towns we got to enjoy, the Civil War sites- all of it! We had a great foodie-Civil War history-music road trip through TN on the way down, & then spent almost a week in NOLA for food and music after the cruise- SO hope you had a great cruise, too!

We've just booked the Caribbean Princess for their 2 week Caribbean cruise RT Ft. Lauderdale, Feb 19- and you???

Elisse & Dan

You are right..package arrived yesterday..it is luggage tags,shore excursion info, etc. didn't know anyone actually used snail mail for that any more.

I'm going to put the price thing away too, it is what it is, but like you, I always search for the best deal and don't like to feel used:(. Looking forward to meeting you soon...safe travels.

Dolores