What Time to Schedule my NY TA Pickup?

MarkBearSF

Curious how schedules have been recently for TA arrivals in NY.

We're doing the first post-world cruise crossing next May. We're spending a few days in NY and really will be in no hurry to debark - yet it gets increasingly uncomfortable as each color and hour passes.

This will be our first NY arrival as CWC Platinum, which I believe allows us access to a debarkation lounge.

I'll need to schedule a car to pick us up (thinking Dial7) - what would be a good time to schedule that's after the big rush, but isn't when we'll be "getting the bum's rush?"

Also, after the aforementioned rush, is 30 minutes a reasonable estimate for customs & immigration? (Although I'm sure they don't have kiosks, we've got Global Entry numbers)

Edited by MarkBearSF

Being Platinum should get you into Todd English (this is QM2, yes?) to wait. This means your color/number tag will let you leave the ship any time from near the beginning of disembarkation or the end. We arranged for a car to pick us up at 10:00, which is pretty late, but we didn't want to have to go through rush-hour traffic to get home.

Around 9:15, we were told that everyone was cleared to leave. The announcement in TE was "We were so pleased to have you with us. And if you'd like to stay, cabins are available for he return crossing." So a thank-you, sales pitch and bum's rush all in one. :rolleyes:

We did leave around 9:15. There was no queue at the gangway, no trouble getting a porter (we had a lot of luggage), and no queue to hand in Customs forms. We had done Immigration inspection onboard in Boston, so that was already done. But even when we've done Immigration ashore, we've cued for 10-15 minutes. So we were out in the pickup area well before our car arrived.

We used Dial-7 and they were great. I booked the car online, possibly early that morning or maybe the day before.

One warning. If you're running late or want to contact your car service, the US does not allow use of phones or cameras in the areas before you pass through Immigration points. People sometimes do it, and I have seen people told (quite firmly) to get off the phone. So check arrangements before you leave the ship.

We are not yet in Platinum status, but we have had success in disembarking late in Brooklyn twice. We have scheduled a pick-up at 10:30 from Dial 7 (the sevens), and asked the purser for a late check-out at 10:00. We got new luggage tags for our bags so all was coordinated. Leaving at 10:00 gave us enough time to get through the terminal to meet our car on time. We avoided the crush of folks leaving early and were able to meet our car for our ride into Manhattan. Will do this next time.