How many of you feel as I do about Aruba?

Arizdee

Thanks for the post. I'll check out radio left when I'm done doing drugs with Rush Limbaugh. In the meantime, I support a boycott of Aruba by all true Southerners and Conservatives; may you save Aruba for the rest of the world.

Just back from Carnival Destiny this past Sunday; We were in Aruba on Friday, Oct 21st. Had a great day here. The people are friendly and the island is beautiful. So much to explore. We rented a car and drove all over the island. Stopped many times and enjoyed talking with the people of Aruba. Sorry for the cliche, but "one bad apple doesn't ruin the whole bunch" We even felt very safe walking around town after the sun set. Of the 4 islands we visited, we enjoyed Aruba the most. And they were all beautiful islands; St Thomas USVI, Dominica (see the rainforest), Barbados (a very close 2nd to being our favorite).

Thanks for the post. I'll check out radio left when I'm done doing drugs with Rush Limbaugh. In the meantime, I support a boycott of Aruba by all true Southerners and Conservatives; may you save Aruba for the rest of the world.

Tee Hee!!!

Very silly to boycott an island because it has crime. I have a dear friend who lives and works for CBS in Isreal, people ask him if he's scared there and he says the scariest places he's been have been in the USA. Crime is everywhere, so please do not send your teenage daughters off to party in foreign countries. I hear of people sending their kids off to Cancun and I think: are you nuts?

Two from Columbus,

Thanks for posting some of your experience while in Aruba... Good to hear.. I am hoping to go in March for a medical conference and do some diving too....

While I can see both sides of some of these posts, I'm really surprised to see this thread has gone on considering how angry the posters have become...

I cannot believe how one persons opinion has turned this thread into "who has the best Country!" Australia...Kudos to you for getting an "arrogant" American riled up like that. Of course, you must be proud of this soap box you hopped up on to tell us ALL about our shortcomings. As if you(or your nation) have none. CC should pull this thread and you need to run for office so that you can effect a change for the better of world peace. Let's get back to the topic that SHOULD be here....namely, cruising and how much we all enjoy it. As for me........I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy by birth and proud of it!:D

I saw Beth (Natalee's mom) on TV last night . . . can't remember which show but think it was Greta. She said that she was headed back to Aruba but the people who were going to do more searching had decided not to go. Sorry, I was talking on the phone and didn't catch what she said. Don't know whether it's because they've run out of money (don't think that was the case), whether there was no where else to search that hasn't already been searched or whether maybe everyone but Beth has come to the conclusion that her daughter, like so many others, will never be found.

Don't mean to sound cold and don't mean to put any blame on Natalee but I still can't help but thinking . . . as someone else said in another related thread . . . I think a lot of Beth's quest is born out of guilt. When one sends their underage child to a place where drinking booze is a "given" and one of the highlights of a trip to the island (where kids are concerned . . . it's usually college kids . . . not high school kids) . . . bad things happen. Adults don't even act as they do when not under the influence . . . with a child . . . all good sense is swept away.

Natalee should never have been in Aruba without her parents or someone to make sure she wasn't drinking and . . . Heaven forbid . . . going off with three strangers. Were I Beth . . . my guilt for letting my daughter go to Aruba alone would be so great . . . I too would do anything in the world to pass that blame on to others. Those adults that were on that trip to watch over those kids, in my opinion, did not do their "job." Did those three boys last seen with her have anything to do with her disappearance? I don't know . . . no one will probably ever know. What I do know is that Beth should get on with her life and take care of her son. And Heaven help us . . . I hope she doesn't let him go to an island or foreign country on his own when he graduates from high school . . . without proper supervision.

I cannot believe how one persons opinion has turned this thread into "who has the best Country!" Australia...Kudos to you for getting an "arrogant" American riled up like that. Of course, you must be proud of this soap box you hopped up on to tell us ALL about our shortcomings. As if you(or your nation) have none. CC should pull this thread and you need to run for office so that you can effect a change for the better of world peace. Let's get back to the topic that SHOULD be here....namely, cruising and how much we all enjoy it. As for me........I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy by birth and proud of it!:D

By the way . . . loved your "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" . . . all I could think of was "stick a feather in his cap and call it macaroni" . . . I'm sure that's probably not the way the song goes but that's what I thought of when I read your post. Loved Jimmy Cagney and that movie was one of my former husband's favorite.

Also, don't think the post by the person from Australia was trying to "rile" up anyone . . . just think he/she was pointing out the obvious . . . we Americans sometimes sound to others as if we feel that we are without fault. As proud as all of us are to be Americans . . . we are but a blimp on the map of the world. As perfect as some Americans think we are . . . we do have our faults and other countries take note. Just read something in the Wall Street Journal . . . an interview with a man who lives in Israel was asked if he lived in fear . . . his answer was rather interesting . . . "no, not really . . . there are more deaths in the United States . . . I would live in fear if I lived there."

I'm sure the people of Aruba are really nice, however, it's not about that for me. I saw the guy from Equusearch on tv last night, and he said the police chief blew him off when they (Equuesearch) requested permission to look for Natalee in deeper water. He refused to call or request permission for Equuesearch to do this. Up until this point, Dompig, the police chief, had been quite cooperative. Someone got to him. Once again, the Aruban authorities have shut down the search. They don't want Natalee found. Period.

Go to Aruba, have a ball...it is a beautiful country, but remember you are in a foreign country, and do not have the rights which we are afforded here in the USA. And pray to God that you never find yourself in Natalee Holloway's situation, because your're just not going to get justice from the Aruban authorities. :(

This is only my opinion.

I think you're right. Interesting that when the media attention dies . . . so goes all the talk about boycotts.

Except when thar idiot Donny Douche (sp) show is on. Normally I don't flip channels often, but boy howdy when heis show comes on.

Wonder what his connection to Beth is? Hmmmmm.

Just back from Aruba, and I'm not just sure that the people of Aruba are very nice. I know that they are!!!! Unlike others who speak without knowing anything.

No one, on the island, that we met anyway believes that the girl is even there. If she is out in deep water somewhere, after this time period, there would be nothing left to find. For those of you that haven't been to Aruba, there arn't alot of boats just lying around unattended that someone having just commited a crime might have access. Stealing one( at least a good one with power) would reguire in most cases a "key" to turn it on, and the time between say 3 in the morning and daybreak doesn't allow a big window to do much.

Anyway, I still don't think that there exists any evidence, and despite the lunitic fringe in this country believing of a cover-up, there is a greater chance that one exists within the top levels of our own government over the invasion of Iraq.

She may or may not be on the island, but the family deserves to have their child back...to bury her. I'd want my child back. I'd want to know. Obviously, you've never dealt with a violent crime where a loved one was missing. You just don't toddle along with your life. Even if it's just a skeleton, her parents need to have her back.

The evidence is the multitude of lies those boys have told. It's call "inconsistant" statements, and many people have gone to prison over less. It's how they catch the bad guys...but the Arubans don't seem to want to catch the bad guys. Well, if those two unfortunate black guards had really been guilty, yes, they would have been sent away a long time ago, but the "rich" connected kids once again seem to be unreachable. I do predict that this case will be resolved due to Beth Holloway Twitty.

Chances are nothing will happen to you when you visit, but God forbid if you find yourself in Natalee's shoes. You are hosed in Aruba! They proven that.

I do find the "lunatic fringe" comment offensive. You can go to Aruba. Whatever. But try to put yourself in Beth's shoes. Her daughter is missing, and the government is not cooperating. Some of the posters seem more concerned about their vacation, than a murder...and their safety.

She may or may not be on the island, but the family deserves to have their child back...to bury her. I'd want my child back. I'd want to know. Obviously, you've never dealt with a violent crime where a loved one was missing. You just don't toddle along with your life. Even if it's just a skeleton, her parents need to have her back.

The evidence is the multitude of lies those boys have told. It's call "inconsistant" statements, and many people have gone to prison over less. It's how they catch the bad guys...but the Arubans don't seem to want to catch the bad guys. Well, if those two unfortunate black guards had really been guilty, yes, they would have been sent away a long time ago, but the "rich" connected kids once again seem to be unreachable. I do predict that this case will be resolved due to Beth Holloway Twitty.

Chances are nothing will happen to you when you visit, but God forbid if you find yourself in Natalee's shoes. You are hosed in Aruba! They proven that.

I do find the "lunatic fringe" comment offensive. You can go to Aruba. Whatever. But try to put yourself in Beth's shoes. Her daughter is missing, and the government is not cooperating. Some of the posters seem more concerned about their vacation, than a murder...and their safety.

Obviously your heart is in the right place and I don't think anyone denies the sorrow and frustration Beth feels over her daughter's disappearance. Were it my son . . . I can't even imagine the grief, sadness, frustration and helplessness I would feel. Any parent would. However, as a criminal defense attorney (and former district attorney) . . . I can tell you for a fact that without physical evidence . . . no one . . . in Aruba or anywhere in the United States would be indicted . . . much less found guilty of a crime. No, you don't need a body to prove someone was murdered but you do need physical evidence. The only lead the police have is that one of the brothers claimed that all three young men had sex with Natalee the night she disappeared. And . . . there is nothing that even substantiates that other than his statement.

What angers me . . . or angered me . . . is all the media attention this case got. For every Natalee, there are hundreds upon hundreds of other young girls (and boys) that have disappeared and many even found murdered in the United States. If half the media attention or investigation went into finding them . . . or who murdered them (in the cases where bodies have been found) . . . a lot of cases here in our country would possibly have been solved.

Yes, this was a very sad thing that happened to the Holloway/Twitty family, but just because it didn't happen on US soil doesn't make it any more news worthy (after a few weeks) than any other young person who has met a similar fate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . Natalee's mother, after over six months, needs to grieve the loss of her daughter, take care of her teen-age son and get on with her life.

I can tell you for a fact that without physical evidence . . . no one . . . in Aruba or anywhere in the United States would be indicted . . . much less found guilty of a crime. No, you don't need a body to prove someone was murdered but you do need physical evidence.

What angers me . . . or angered me . . . is all the media attention this case got. For every Natalee, there are hundreds upon hundreds of other young girls (and boys) that have disappeared and many even found murdered in the United States.

It was interesting watching the guy from Equuesearch the other night (on TV). It was the first time I've heard him make any type of comment on the case (other than trying to help locate Natalee). He was furious with the police chief who seems to have gone from "willing to help" to throwing up roadblocks. Too bad Dompig wouldn't assist Equuesearch and maybe they would have found Natalee. Then at least they would have had what's left of her and found possible evidence (which would incriminate the killer).

I remember the problems they were having trying to search the dump. The permits...and a few other problems. It just seems like they are doing everything in their power to stall or stop the investigation. I do know that money talks, and I believe that if you are well-connected, you can get away with about anything (even in this country).

The media is another story...they do seem to pick a story and ride with it until something better comes along.

As for Beth moving on, it's easier said than done. I do believe Natalee's body will be found, and eventually this case will be solved.

I think what angers me the most is how some people (usually woman) blame the victim. It's like the rape victim who was wearing the hot skirt deserved what she got (because she was showing it off). Being a former DA and now a criminal defense attorney, I'm sure you've seen it all.

Perhaps it is time for us to take our foreign aid, our troops and our generousity home. We are the last of the Free Super Powers. Maybe the rest of you would like to fend for yourselves for awhile. Right now we have enough disasters at home, without supporting the rest of you.

Frankly, I don't believe we are the ones doing the "supporting", given that our DEBT to other countries is the HIGHEST that it has EVER been! :eek:

I saw something on the "news" Friday night with Beth and Dr. Phil . . . something about the possibility of Natalee being sold into some sort of a sex slavery ring? Anyone heard anything about this?

I did catch a bit of this. I keep going back to the comments from the one Kalpoe brother saying Natalee was dead. I personally think Phil's news is for publicity purposes. I'm not a fan of his at all, so my take on what he has to say, is a bit biased. On the other hand, if this were true, and he had credible sources, why go on national tv and say so? If she is being held, her captors probably would kill her. Why not keep it quiet and investigate, rather than blab it to the world? Early on, this was one of the possible scenarios. Then the "boys" started talking and their stories changed daily. I think the truth lies somewhere with the 3 boys. However, the one is pretty well-connected, and we all know that justice isn't for all...especially if you have a lot of $$$.

I'm more concerned about the lack of cooperation the Aruban officials are providing. Sending Equusearch packing because the Police Chief (Dompig) wouldn't make the request which would allow Equusearch to check deeper water is unbelieveable. In the begining (after Dompig was brought on the case), he was quite outspoken in his support in solving this case. It seems someone sat on him. Wonder who? Wonder why? Why don't they want Natalee found? What will they find? So many questions...

The way the authorities are handling this case is what really bothers me. I'm sure many people travel there and have no problems, but God fobid if you end up in a situation like this. You're not going to get much help from the Aruban authorities, nor will the US be able to help you.

There has never been a credible statement by anyone saying this girl is dead, but there certainly are more half-truths and myths that keep getting repeated that they now have a life their own. I totally believe that everything in Aruba is above board and that no body will ever be found in Aruba. No proof exists of a crime, and without proof there will never be a conviction. In the Scott Peterson case, while a body was found about three months after the disappearence, the time in much colder water still destroyed any evidence that existed. In Aruba, after 7 months, only bones would exist, probably destroying any chance of providing information. Personally, I don't believe these 3 were involved, beyond what sex "may" have occurred. I don't believe that they are even remotely intelligent enough to commit this crime and then leave not one shread of evidence at a crime scene, in a car, on a boat or anything for that matter, anywhere. They're so dumb that they can't even get a story together that didn't leave questions immediately unanswered. IMHO, they probably did have very willing sex with a very willing participant and once she turned up missing that they strung together the stories that constantly changed out of fear of becoming, exactly what has happened. They became the prime suspects. Stupid, certainly; but guilty not. Nor, after hundreds of hours of questioning did anyone crack, or blame one or the other, which would be likely to happen, if one or more of them actually commited an initial crime.

While they are those on this board that will disagree. I'm not about to lose any sleep over her disappearence. Bad things happen, and hundreds of crimes go unsolved every year. There was a young lady, who disappearred off a cruise ship in the same general area about 8 years ago without a trace. In fact, if this wasn't so prevelant across the country, we wouldn't have great Thursday night tv, (ie "Without A Trace"). So, if that is viewed as, who cares. Then, who cares, because I certainly don't anymore.

Those of you, who don't want to go to Aruba. Don't go. I love it there, just bought some property, glad I won't have to share the warmth of the sun and the people with you.

Those of you, who don't want to go to Aruba. Don't go. I love it there, just bought some property, glad I won't have to share the warmth of the sun and the people with you.

No need to get your pants in a wad. Go. Have a great time.

What a rude comment...about not sharing the warmth of the sun and all. If things aren't resolved pretty soon, you're going to have the whole beach to yourself!

Why is it that those that say they don't want to go to Aruba can be civil, but the ones that think everything is hunky-dory seem to have to get all bent out of shape? I don't get it. You want to go there. Go there. I don't. I am not going to call you names or say what I think about you going there...much less buying property. It's up to you.

And after that post...I do really believe you won't lose any sleep over Natalee. :(

IMHO, they probably did have very willing sex with a very willing participant.

Now how on earth do you know that? Let's blame the victim! Do you have a daughter? You'd probably change your tune if she were raped and killed. :(

Did she deserve to die? Was her skirt too short? Was she so drunk she deserved this? Who knows what happened, but to blame Natalee for any part of this, is sickening. Willing sex my arse...those boys have yet to make a statement that's not in conflict with a prior statement. The Kalpoe boy (one of them) admitted having sex with her while she was unconscious (and said the others did to). That's called rape. The dad said..no body, no case. I don't think any of those guys are smart, but the dad is very well-connected. Anything is possible. I could go on and on and on. I would be living in fear the entire time I was on that island. If something happened to me or a loved one, you can't count on the Aruban authorities to do a thing...nada. Yes, bad things happen everywhere, but the Aruban authorities have proven that they can't find their rears with both hands. Dompig was willing to get to the bottom of this, but someone shut him up. They sat on him. Why? Why don't they want Natalee found?

And if there is only bones, there are plenty of things they can tell by the condition of the body. How she died? Maybe the killer strangled her with his belt? Who knows what they will find, but they can't find her when the authorities shut down the search. The landfill joke...remember that? Had to get all sorts of special permits...or whatever. Remember when that guy killed his wife in Utah, the police searched the dump and found her. They spent hours and hours and had lots of manpower, but they found her. The Aruban's want this to go away. If I owned a business I would be screaming!

A boycott is what is happening. Many people aren't setting foot there...me included. I know that there are those who think nothing is wrong. Whatever. Go there have fun. If something horrible happens, then I will certainly have you in my prayers. Because you're going to need a lot of prayers.

There's no point in bantering this back and forth. I don't agree with some of the posters, and some don't agree with me. That's life.

Too bad TT has never been to Aruba, but I had a great nights sleep last night. Tourism from the red-neck south may not ever happen, but from the rest of the country you can't keep them away. Tourism is up about 10%, the hotel was full. El Gaucho steakhouse, all 412 seats, were full with happy people, who came to Aruba to enjoy the sunshine. Most people that we met were easterners from Boston, New York, Philadelphia and many mid-western cities. While those radical few would have you believe that everyone cares and won't return to ruba, the opposite is true. everyone felt safe, happy and didn't care to even talk about that unfortuate incident, which happens on a daily basis in the good old USA.

So, TT, don't worry be happy, come down, enjoy the good life!

Archived