Disney changes alcohol policy and raises corkage fee

ryano

Yes, I know this is NOT RC related and I know it will probably be moved. I just know that some RC cruisers here cruise Disney as well.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2015/08/disney-cruise-lines-revising-alcohol-policy-corkage-fee-effective-9302015/

It was only a matter of time… Today, Disney Cruise Line made a big announcement and not the one many were hoping to hear. Disney’s generous alcohol policy is changing. The revised alcohol policy will be effective for all new sailings embarking on or after September 30, 2015. The key change in the policy is the limiting of the qualities of wine or champagne and beer as well as prohibiting liquors and spirits. The first bullet point below indicates you can restock at each port of call as long as you board within the limits.

Each Guest 21 years and older may bring two bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) or six beers (no larger than 12oz) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

All alcoholic beverages packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the completion of the cruise.

Wine or champagne in excess of the two allowable bottles or beer in excess of the six beers will be stored and Guests may retrieve them at the end of the voyage.

All liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) are prohibited and will be stored until the completion of the cruise.

Guests must retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Uncollected alcohol will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Disney Cruise Line Corkage Fee Increase

September 30th will also serve as the date for the new corkage fee charged to Guests who bring their own wine or champagne into one of our restaurants will be $25 per bottle, up from $20.

I'm glad that my cruise is departing on Sept 26, 2015. This change in policy will impact my decision to cruise DCL again - or not. Their prices are so high, the fact that we could bring booze was a determining factor (for me). Disney has leveled that playing field while continuing to charge higher prices that most lines.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/beverage-policy/alcohol-policy-onboard/

P.S. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by Got2GoGo

From Disney Cruise Line's FAQs:

Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle. Please note:

These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.

Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.

Bringing liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.

Guest MUST retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed, and no compensation will be offered.

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Please note that the Disney Cruise Line alcohol policy is subject to change without notice.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

Well, I guess it was bound to change eventually. However, it is still not nearly as restrictive as other cruise lines.

Two bottles of wine/champagne or 6 beers per person, not per stateroom. So with two adults per stateroom, you're really getting four bottles or 12 beers... not so bad.

Note it also says "on board at the beginning of each voyage and at each port of call". I am interpreting that as you can replenish your stash throughout the week, bringing 2 bottles of wine/champagne or 6 beers back on the ship at each port. So if your cruise has three ports of call.... you could have up to 12 bottles of wine/champagne or 24 beers per person brought on board during the entire duration of the cruise. That's still a lot of booze!

....that's O.K. with me......two bottles each at each port such as an European cruise would be delightful. We have sailed Disney on it's European cruises and it was a highlight having wine and local cheeses and foods on our balcony during the sailings. As most tings (such as handicapped parking, guide dogs, etc) people exploit it to such a point that it is opened to regulation.

September 30th will also serve as the date for the new corkage fee charged to Guests who bring their own wine or champagne into one of our restaurants will be $25 per bottle, up from $20.

I love this part. Because it takes more effort now to spend the 3 seconds to open a bottle of wine than it did in the past. :rolleyes:

This policy would be reasonable if DCL cruises were in the same price point as other similar lines (RCL, NCL, Celebrity). But they are NOT. We are getting ready to go on DCL cruise Number 17 - so clearly we are fans, but this is one more perk being taken away that may make us at least try some other lines. We have always justified the higher prices of a DCL cruise with the onboard wine/liquor policy. In all the years we have been cruising DCL, we have never seen drunken disorderly people milling about in the public spaces - Disney just doesn't draw that kind of crowd.

The service, food and quality on DCL is amazing, but this is not sitting well with me. Feels like a money grab when they are already charging significantly more.

Kathi

I love this part. Because it takes more effort now to spend the 3 seconds to open a bottle of wine than it did in the past. :rolleyes:

Maybe the screw top bottles now have child proof lids, this is Disney afterall. :p

They changed the policy once before....due to guest outcry, the "change" lasted less than 6 weeks.

Wonder what caused this one. The last policy change came right after a group of young adults had a major "drunk and disorderly" by the Quiet Cove pool. DCL finds it easier to change "policy" than to deal specifically with inappropriate behavior. To me, this sounds like a financial move rather than a behavioral one though.

I love Disney and not happy with this change, however, I have a cruise booked on Royal and they have raised their drink prices...to make you buy a drink package..$12.50 for a mixed drink. So, you may be paying a little less for the cruise but it adds up when you have to either buy a drink package or pay the high prices for their drinks. I will be back to sailing with Disney after this Royal cruise.... I am going on a 11 day cruise with royal, If I want the Premiun package to get the mixed drinks, along with the speciality coffee's and soda it will cost me around $56.00 per day plus they tack on 18% for tip. :mad: Lookinig forward to booking my next Disney cruise after Royal.

DCL instituted a policy change on liquor once before after a major "drunk and disorderly" group at the Quiet Cove pool area. Mind you, that group had plenty of policy violations already--a cooler, consuming alcohol brought on board in a public area, etc. But DCL found it easier to restrict policy than to deal with the behavior of a small group of young adults. That policy change lasted only a few weeks due to public outcry.

Frankly, I find this policy reasonable and it won't affect my decisions. It does seem to be financial rather than a response to an incident. However, they do listen to public opinion. If you don't like it, let them know!

Well, I guess it was bound to change eventually. However, it is still not nearly as restrictive as other cruise lines.

Two bottles of wine/champagne or 6 beers per person, not per stateroom. So with two adults per stateroom, you're really getting four bottles or 12 beers... not so bad.

Note it also says "on board at the beginning of each voyage and at each port of call". I am interpreting that as you can replenish your stash throughout the week, bringing 2 bottles of wine/champagne or 6 beers back on the ship at each port. So if your cruise has three ports of call.... you could have up to 12 bottles of wine/champagne or 24 beers per person brought on board during the entire duration of the cruise. That's still a lot of booze!

Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

It is wine or beer not both.

We are going on our first Disney cruise in a few months. We have been on RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, and Princess, and we were looking forward to the more relaxed alcohol policy on Disney. My mother has very discriminating tastes when it comes to tequila (she will only drink resposado or certain anejo), and she was so looking forward to bringing aboard her drink of choice (that they probably will not carry onboard). It's not a deal breaker; just makes the other cruise lines look more comparable.

This policy would be reasonable if DCL cruises were in the same price point as other similar lines (RCL, NCL, Celebrity). But they are NOT. We are getting ready to go on DCL cruise Number 17 - so clearly we are fans, but this is one more perk being taken away that may make us at least try some other lines. We have always justified the higher prices of a DCL cruise with the onboard wine/liquor policy. In all the years we have been cruising DCL, we have never seen drunken disorderly people milling about in the public spaces - Disney just doesn't draw that kind of crowd.

The service, food and quality on DCL is amazing, but this is not sitting well with me. Feels like a money grab when they are already charging significantly more.

Kathi

My thoughts exactly! I've cruised another line and purchased their drink program. When added up, DCL was comparably priced since passengers could BYOB. However, the higher fares coupled with this change in alcohol policy makes a DCL cruise MUCH more expensive. I'm glad I squeaked by on this change, but I will NOT be booking another cruise while onboard, as I'd planned.

I have noticed that the adults only clubs and bars on DCL have fairly low attendance, so perhaps this change is an attempt to drive people into those areas (The District, etc.)? As stated above, I have never seen anyone behaving badly due to too much imbibing. The worst behavior I've witnessed on a Disney cruise is parents screaming at their children....but that's another topic.

They changed the policy once before....due to guest outcry' date=' the "change" lasted less than 6 weeks.

Wonder what caused this one. The last policy change came right after a group of young adults had a major "drunk and disorderly" by the Quiet Cove pool. DCL finds it easier to change "policy" than to deal specifically with inappropriate behavior. To me, this sounds like a financial move rather than a behavioral one though.[/quote']

Excellent points, moki'smommy! I wasn't cruising DCL when the policy was changed and then reversed before. I agree that this seems financially motivated. Perhaps an attempt to drive people into the adults only bars?

I'm just glad that I'll be squeaking by on the cutoff! I feel badly for people who will be affected by this change, but DCL does say that any policy can be changed at anytime. Pity about this one.

I don't think this will change much in terms of the nightclub and lounge attendance. Most people on DCL are traveling with children and they need to go TO BED since the kids will be up early (and need to go to sleep also). We always have late dining and will go to a lounge (usually Meridian or Oh La La) prior to dinner and then maybe for one drink after dinner, but by then it's 10:30/11:00 and we need to pick up our daughter and get her to bed!

Kathi

I agree with you on this, after 15 cruises with DCL we've decided they aren't worth the price and this move just solidifies that feeling. So glad we canceled our October cruise on the Fantasy for NCL Getaway.

I actually had to look up powdered alcohol because I have never heard of it. I can't find much on it other than it is being banned as fast as states can do it.

It would be nice if RCI would allow passengers to bring wine on board at every port and be able to keep it.

My wife and I are craft beer snobs (yes, we know we are) and have always struggled to find beers we like on cruises. One reason (and there are many) that we've stuck with Disney the last few cruises was their terrific carry on alcohol policy. We could pick up a few six packs of India Pale Ales and a couple bottles of wine near the port and know we didn't need to worry about the on-board selection. In fact, on our last cruise in April, the bartender at Quiet Cove even encouraged us to bring our beer (in cans) to the pool and keep it in a DCL cooler he sold us!

We also find that wine tastes better when it's not 5 times the store price! Sometimes we buy wine in advance and hold it for a while in anticipation of bringing it on board. I've found several $40 bottles that would easily have been over $200 from DCL... if they were even available. We find it interesting to discuss the bottle we brought with the sommelier at Palo/Remi and compare to glasses of wine he recommends. But a $25 corkage fee... and having to balance wine and beer... and then running out of both half way through a 7 night cruise? It will be harder to justify the higher fare for sure.