Disney changes alcohol policy and raises corkage fee

ryano

Stupid rule. We haven't been on DCL for a few years, and weren't planning on sailing them again in the near future but never ruled it out. We have an extensive cellar (close to 1000 bottles) of nicely aged wines. We like what we like. Our last cruise with DCL we drank wine of our own we carried on, as well as having a $600 bar bill--two bottles of wine and a couple beers.

On a seven day cruise we would probably drink 12 bottles of wine between us--half sparkling for apperitifs and to make a mimosa in the morning, and half wines with dinner.

No, we aren't drunks. A bottle has five glasses. The average adult can process about a glass an hour. So one could ostensibly consume 2 bottles a day and never blow more than a .02 on a breathalizer--ie perfectly legal to drive a car.

This new rule pretty much rules sailing with DCL again.

Oh, and it screws people who are within the cancellation period.

Yes, it really would be nice if all new policies were announced to begin at the farthest out penalty date from the announcement...basically 120 days. That would make it possible for people who didn't like the policy to back out. Of course, then they would complain that they didn't have enough notice to think it thru before the penalty would start. No matter what DCL does, some will be unhappy.

That's a bummer about the policy. It was a selling point for the line.

I suppose that they calculated that the increase in bar bills offsets the decrease in bookings. Not that they were having trouble filling the ships.

It would also not surprise me if insurance was a factor in this. Yes, most of the cruise lines self-insure and then re-insure but it still can be an issue. We won't know for sure because these things are never announced but it could be one of several factors, especially if they changed insurers or had a re-assessment.

I'm not saying that is the only reason, not that there was not a financial impetus, but the reduction of coverage costs can be equally as lucrative as increasing revenue. I've seen insurance driven decisions on other lines.

IMHO if its a revenue thing I would like to see the cost spread around. How about a one time fee of 50.00 to a 100.00 to register a child at the kids clubs. As a senior who loves DISNEY and this will be sixth DISNEY cruise, tired of paying full boat for other peoples children, again will probably get ripped but IMHO.

IMHO if its a revenue thing I would like to see the cost spread around. How about a one time fee of 50.00 to a 100.00 to register a child at the kids clubs. As a senior who loves DISNEY and this will be sixth DISNEY cruise, tired of paying full boat for other peoples children, again will probably get ripped but IMHO.

I won't rip you, but I think that's a bad idea

Ugh. This was one of the pros for me to try disney. I could have gone on 3 royal Caribbean cruises with the drink package for the price I'm paying. Looks like this will be my only disney cruise since I can't justify the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh My. :rolleyes:

There may be a line at the bar now, .... 4 pax deep. :D

DCL just tripled the time to garner a beverage. :eek:

I have a suspicion Disney pax will squeak by.

They sure will save fuel. A lot less weight. ;)

Sober sailing and calm winds to all.

DCL just added 3% revenue, at least.

ETA; Although I do feel they should grandfather existing bookings.

What's up will all the lines changing the rules after booking. :eek: Not Cool.

Edited by bear3412

This won't ever happen, but I agree that the first two passengers in the cabin subsidize the kid's programming. I could see a more equitable rate for the 3rd and up passengers. Currently there is a surcharge if numbers 3, 4, and 5 are over 12. Sure, they eat more, but again, 1 and 2 have already paid for programming. If 3 is an adult....no programming used, but charged.

However, since I've always been hit by the "ultimate rip off" of cruising as a single mom (paying full adult fare for a kid from 4 years old and up), the alcohol issue is small. WDW and DCL have no sort of single parent package. Some other lines do--it isn't a very large savings, but it does help.

I actually had to look up powdered alcohol because I have never heard of it. I can't find much on it other than it is being banned as fast as states can do it.

It would be nice if RCI would allow passengers to bring wine on board at every port and be able to keep it.

Yes that would be nice if RCI would do that. However, it is nice that RCI no longer charges the corkage fee.

It is no surprise this happened' date=' but it really should have had enough lead time so guests could change or cancel cruises before PIF.

AKK[/quote']

This.

The last time they made this change it was 2-3 weeks before we were to set sail. We were beyond annoyed. Fortunately they changed it back a few days before we sailed. We probably wouldn't have spent a dime at the bar if they hadn't.

If they want to make a change like this, that is their prerogative. However they need to understand that it will make those within the cancellation period very, very angry. Loss of an angry guest due to an ill-timed management decision based on an arbitrary date is not a good way to run a business.

Edited by ducklite

I wonder if DCL is planning on selling an alcohol drink package once this policy goes into effect.

That would be nice...we loved the drink package on RCI....our January cruise with DCL will probably be our last with DCL.

It has been my experience that with cases like this, in the event someone is persistent, they will allow a 'courtesy' cancellation.... I supposed it depends how many people ask.

This.

The last time they made this change it was 2-3 weeks before we were to set sail. We were beyond annoyed. Fortunately they changed it back a few days before we sailed. We probably wouldn't have spent a dime at the bar if they hadn't.

If they want to make a change like this, that is their prerogative. However they need to understand that it will make those within the cancellation period very, very angry. Loss of an angry guest due to an ill-timed management decision based on an arbitrary date is not a good way to run a business.

Please excuse my total ignorance - what was the policy, in a nutshell, before the change? Were you allowed to carry on hard liquor as well?

The fact that you can still bring two bottles of wine PER PERSON onboard is pretty darn good, especially if it's a 6-day cruise or shorter. Plus, you can get around that corkage fee by pouring yourselves a glass of wine in your stateroom right before dinner then carrying it into the MDR.

Edited by RiotAct

Please excuse my total ignorance - what was the policy, in a nutshell, before the change? Were you allowed to carry on hard liquor as well?

The fact that you can still bring two bottles of wine PER PERSON onboard is pretty darn good, especially if it's a 6-day cruise or shorter. Plus, you can get around that corkage fee by pouring yourselves a glass of wine in your stateroom right before dinner then carrying it into the MDR.

The policy before let you carry on any type of achohol including

Hard liquor as long as you carry it onboard. No limits.

You are not allowed by DCL to drink any liquor you brought onboard outside of your cabin, unless you bring your bottle of wine to a dining room.

That's... that's amazing. I'm not suprised they ended up changing it.

One of the reasons speculated for the change has to do with just this "getting around" mindset. DCL has always said that alcohol brought onboard is not for consumption in public areas, except for bringing a bottle of wine/champagne to the MDRs (subject to corkage fee).

People pouring drinks in their rooms, and then carrying them around the ship, and to the dining rooms was disregarding DCLs requested policy.

Edited by Shmoo here