Disney changes alcohol policy and raises corkage fee

ryano

Reading through this thread there seems to be some confussion (either that or I'm confused :o) .

Yes that would be nice if RCI would do that. However, it is nice that RCI no longer charges the corkage fee.
No corkage fee ? " passengers who want to drink their wine in public spaces such as bars or restaurants must pay a $25 corkage fee " says CC .

AND then there is the issue of "restocking" at ports

I swore the new policy said they would hold wine carried on at ports of call until the end of the cruise. Might want to recheck that one.

Direct from the DCL website:

Q: May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

A: Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

That's how I read it Schmoo .

Disney made certain decisions long ago to set themselves apart from the other mass market cruise lines . Changing their liquor policy brings them closer to the others yet they have decided to retain their "apartness" in terms of pricing .;)

Reading through this thread there seems to be some confussion (either that or I'm confused :o) .No corkage fee ? " passengers who want to drink their wine in public spaces such as bars or restaurants must pay a $25 corkage fee " says CC .

Then CC doesn't have the most up to date information posted, RCL removed their corkage fee.

They did it again.

You don't log in for a few days and they announce this!

I guess they finally decided all of the abuse of the perks and lower bar sales was enough. All of those comments about only one glass taken to the MDR's or a show or the pool deck..... To bad some had to spoil it for others.

It does seem DCL have been just so slightly more lenient than last time with a little more notice, but shame on them for not giving it with a minimum notice period allowing those who wish to cancel the opportunity. Customer service fail.

I find the two bottles of wine or 6 beers strange. Surely you could down two bottles of wine and be absolutely trashed, but on only 6 beers probably just drunk for a few hours. Seems like a money grab opportunity to me.

Also no variance in the allowance dependent on the cruise length? Dumb.

ill thought out and illogical. Standard for DCL these days.

ex techie

This thread got me to rethinking our Jan 22, 2016 Dream cruise (3 day) - we have an aft balcony we paid $540ish for. Enchantment is $640, so for this weekend, we'll stay put.

Dream to Enchantment is no contest in my mind and I'm an RC fan! Totally recognize this is probably an anomaly, so at the end of the day, you always have to look at all the options that would work best for you.

John

They did it again.

You don't log in for a few days and they announce this!

I guess they finally decided all of the abuse of the perks and lower bar sales was enough. All of those comments about only one glass taken to the MDR's or a show or the pool deck..... To bad some had to spoil it for others.

It does seem DCL have been just so slightly more lenient than last time with a little more notice, but shame on them for not giving it with a minimum notice period allowing those who wish to cancel the opportunity. Customer service fail.

I find the two bottles of wine or 6 beers strange. Surely you could down two bottles of wine and be absolutely trashed, but on only 6 beers probably just drunk for a few hours. Seems like a money grab opportunity to me.

Also no variance in the allowance dependent on the cruise length? Dumb.

ill thought out and illogical. Standard for DCL these days.

ex techie

You would probably be sick before you could down two bottles of wine.

I agree 100% that they should have taken the length of the cruise into consideration as well as given more notice.

We have spoken about taking a TA on DCL in a concierge level suite at some point. We would want a bottle of wine per day. If we brought our own it would save them the "free" wine we could get in the lounge. But if we can bring four bottles for a two week cruise, nah. We'd rather take a different line.

I agree 100% that they should have taken the length of the cruise into consideration as well as given more notice.

We have spoken about taking a TA on DCL in a concierge level suite at some point. We would want a bottle of wine per day. If we brought our own it would save them the "free" wine we could get in the lounge. But if we can bring four bottles for a two week cruise, nah. We'd rather take a different line.

Since you haven't cruised with them in years and if I recall correctly, you didn't have much good to say about the trip, I doubt they are worried about you not returning because of this policy change.

Since you haven't cruised with them in years and if I recall correctly, you didn't have much good to say about the trip, I doubt they are worried about you not returning because of this policy change.

You recall very incorrectly. We have taken two DCL cruises and enjoyed both very much. The second one was a bit of a wash out due to bad weather, but we certainly don't blame DCL for that and we're glad that the Captain steered us out of the storm and into calmer waters. We thought that they did a great job of adding additional events in board when we couldn't dock at CC. You must be thinking of someone else. Or just trying to stir the pot by making it up as you go along.

Unfortunately if you start doing that, besides being harder on training (firm rules are easier than 'how many bottles this cruise') you will start having issues with people doing back to backs, etc. Assuming the rule is enforced, it would really slow onboarding.

Unfortunately if you start doing that, besides being harder on training (firm rules are easier than 'how many bottles this cruise') you will start having issues with people doing back to backs, etc. Assuming the rule is enforced, it would really slow onboarding.

I'm not disagreeing with you, although I do believe there must be a way to manage it that isn't ridiculously cumbersome.

It really is unfortunate that the few seem to have spoiled it for the many.

Honestly, given the almost paranoid sensibility towards liability, I am surprised it took so long for some limits. If the ships were US Flagged I think this would have happened years ago.

I'm not disagreeing with you, although I do believe there must be a way to manage it that isn't ridiculously cumbersome.

It really is unfortunate that the few seem to have spoiled it for the many.

Just in case Disney is reading, I want to be another user name to add to their list of people who are royally angry over the new policy.

They held my deposit for 15 months, and we paid off our cruise in June. Now they change the rules 50 days before our cruise. It's a scumbag move. We would be eager to cancel if we could, but Disney is offering no recourse. They have our $$; that's all they want.

All I can say is THIS IS DEFINITELY GOING IN THE COMMENT CARD, since I've received nothing but those stupid stock responses that are all over social media.

#Disney'sRaceToBeLikeEveryOtherCruiseline

#RIPDisneyDifference

#BadBlood

To be very clear about this, as with most lines, for the most part Disney doesn't care if people sail with them again.

They have NO problem filling their ships, and as a rule, first time cruisers spend a lot more than repeat ones. Repeat ones are just easier to market to.

If they have identified a policy that makes financial or legal sense to them, more so than the cost of having to recruit a few new cruisers, that's where they are going.

That said, I doubt they did this to screw people over, given the timing, as I noted about, I strongly suspect that the timing was tied to an external event, such as a change in regulation or insurance, otherwise they probably would have spread things out more.

To be very clear about this, as with most lines, for the most part Disney doesn't care if people sail with them again.

They have NO problem filling their ships, and as a rule, first time cruisers spend a lot more than repeat ones. Repeat ones are just easier to market to.

If they have identified a policy that makes financial or legal sense to them, more so than the cost of having to recruit a few new cruisers, that's where they are going.

That said, I doubt they did this to screw people over, given the timing, as I noted about, I strongly suspect that the timing was tied to an external event, such as a change in regulation or insurance, otherwise they probably would have spread things out more.

With every respect to you Loonbeam,

If they, DCL, did not know about about a change in regulation or insurance, then Russel Daya, Director of Marine and Security Operations, and Bert Swets, Vice President of Marine and Technical Operations, along with Ozer Balli, Vice President of Hotel Operations, should all resign.

Karl.... I bet he is laughing is ass off no doubt.

If they had less than 75 days notice to themselves before they would have to implement a policy from their insurers or regulatory body, that changes a DCL policy affecting their paying customers that have paid in full, as per DCL terms and conditions, and in good faith, then they should resign as they are obviously incompetent at managing their contracts with their insurers and communicating with the regulatory bodies that control what they can and cannot do.

ex techie

Sorry, but this sounds disingenuous to me. The currently lowest priced concierge suite on a TA is $10K (fall 2016, 11 nights). Spring 2016 will cost you $15K for 14 nights. And as you noted, you'll soon have the concierge lounge. For those prices, the cost of the premium wine package is small potatoes, and you can get some in the lounge as well. Why would you go to the effort of hauling your own? But the premium package is only a good deal if you choose one of the most expensive wines on the list each night. Perhaps wait and see how much you want to purchase in addition to what you can get in the lounge.

Why are you even concerned about saving DCL the "free" wine in the lounge? Go to the reception in the lounge. Drink a glass there, and get a refill "to go" at the end of the time. 2 receptions per day = 4 glasses per person per day. From there, maybe split a bottle over dinner...and take any leftovers back to your room or have it recorked for the next night.

I just don't see people who pay $15K for a 14 night cruise hauling a case of wine on board.

I do think its sad that DCL have introduced such a strict policy. I agree that there unlimited policy was excessive but they could have simply limited the amount of liquour to 1 bottle per room if they were concerned. Personally I am less likely to buy drinks now as I would have if they still allowed alcohol onboard. There drinks are watery and they don't have the brand of rum I like anyway but usually I would buy one at the pool. Now I'll be making sure I don't give them any extra money as it just seems that this is what they want out of people. I am sure that soon they will start with soft drinks too and then those who are moaning that we shouldn't be upset about this change will be in uproar. Its just another sign of DCL trying to grab more money when their cruises aren't comparable rates to other cruiselines.

If it were a change in regulation or insurance, all lines would have the same policy. They do not.

Sorry' date=' but this sounds disingenuous to me. The currently lowest priced concierge suite on a TA is $10K (fall 2016, 11 nights). Spring 2016 will cost you $15K for 14 nights. And as you noted, you'll soon have the concierge lounge. For those prices, the cost of the premium wine package is small potatoes, and you can get some in the lounge as well. Why would you go to the effort of hauling your own? But the premium package is only a good deal if you choose one of the most expensive wines on the list each night. Perhaps wait and see how much you want to purchase in addition to what you can get in the lounge.

Why are you even concerned about saving DCL the "free" wine in the lounge? Go to the reception in the lounge. Drink a glass there, and get a refill "to go" at the end of the time. 2 receptions per day = 4 glasses per person per day. From there, maybe split a bottle over dinner...and take any leftovers back to your room or have it recorked for the next night.

I just don't see people who pay $15K for a 14 night cruise hauling a case of wine on board.[/quote']

Why bring our own? Simple. We strongly prefer wines with age on them and varietals not carried by DCL.

You obviously don't have knowledge of wine. Split a bottle and take what's left back to the room? LOL! There are five glasses to a bottle. We finish a bottle at dinner.

Sorry' date=' but this sounds disingenuous to me. The currently lowest priced concierge suite on a TA is $10K (fall 2016, 11 nights). Spring 2016 will cost you $15K for 14 nights. And as you noted, you'll soon have the concierge lounge. For those prices, the cost of the premium wine package is small potatoes, and you can get some in the lounge as well. Why would you go to the effort of hauling your own? But the premium package is only a good deal if you choose one of the most expensive wines on the list each night. Perhaps wait and see how much you want to purchase in addition to what you can get in the lounge.

I just don't see people who pay $15K for a 14 night cruise hauling a case of wine on board.[/quote']

By the way, what they serve in the lounge is cheap crap. The MS who manages the wine program for the "Signature" restaurants at Disney World cringes about what they serve, as there are so many better options at the same price point.

Because she believes a quality wine has to be expensive and served in a specific glass.

Because she believes a quality wine has to be expensive and served in a specific glass.

Actually I don't believe that at all. Quality wines come at all price points. Some of the best Gruner on the market will run around $25. A very good Mendoza Malbec is typically $30-40. Fantastic Assyrtiko can be found for $35 or so. A Figeac is around $50 in a good year, less in an off year, more in a best of the decade year.

Proper stemware does increase the enjoyment of the wine. That is a fact and there have been numerous blind tests done to prove it. If I am drinking a $10 bottle I don't really care. But if I open a bottle of world-class wine--regardless of the price point--then it would be foolish to drink it in standard barware when a varietal specific glass would enhance it.

Not what I meant. It's possible hey may have had even longer notice but for various reasons chose not to give an extended implementation time, even knowing it would annoy current cruisers.

Or they may not have had as much time as you think.

Changes to insurance policies can take effect in as little as 30 days under commercial contracts if there is a causative factor such as a significant claim. The following is not an uncommon scenario..

Incident X happens resulting in a large claim on June 1.

Claim settled July 30

Insurer contacts client and says measures must be taken to mitigate risk or rates will increase or coverage dropped on August 1, corrections to be taken by September 30. The most common example is a hazard trip and fall where the insured is given a window to fix the hazard or it is no longer covered.

If you think cruise contracts favor the line, take a good read of your insurance docs and see how unbalanced it is to the buyer, this holds true. Usually in commercial insurance there is a 60 or 90 day mitigation clause triggered by claims representing more than X percent of the policy value being closed with a payment.

I'm oversimplifying but its entire possible an external deadline was applied.

It is n

With every respect to you Loonbeam,

If they, DCL, did not know about about a change in regulation or insurance, then Russel Daya, Director of Marine and Security Operations, and Bert Swets, Vice President of Marine and Technical Operations, along with Ozer Balli, Vice President of Hotel Operations, should all resign.

Karl.... I bet he is laughing is ass off no doubt.

If they had less than 75 days notice to themselves before they would have to implement a policy from their insurers or regulatory body, that changes a DCL policy affecting their paying customers that have paid in full, as per DCL terms and conditions, and in good faith, then they should resign as they are obviously incompetent at managing their contracts with their insurers and communicating with the regulatory bodies that control what they can and cannot do.

ex techie

Actually I don't believe that at all. Quality wines come at all price points. Some of the best Gruner on the market will run around $25. A very good Mendoza Malbec is typically $30-40. Fantastic Assyrtiko can be found for $35 or so. A Figeac is around $50 in a good year, less in an off year, more in a best of the decade year.

Proper stemware does increase the enjoyment of the wine. That is a fact and there have been numerous blind tests done to prove it. If I am drinking a $10 bottle I don't really care. But if I open a bottle of world-class wine--regardless of the price point--then it would be foolish to drink it in standard barware when a varietal specific glass would enhance it.

Reidel crystal, isn't that what you want to send to the ship so you can enjoy your more expensive wines? Pretty sure you don't drink the $10 stuff as I remember you telling people a few years ago how that isn't worth the money.

Reidel crystal, isn't that what you want to send to the ship so you can enjoy your more expensive wines? Pretty sure you don't drink the $10 stuff as I remember you telling people a few years ago how that isn't worth the money.

Send to the ship? Um no, I have never sent anything to the ship.

There are a number of good brands of wine glasses. Riedel, Zaltos, and Spiegelau are all great names, however there are some others as well.

I actually just bought a case for $120 from a great little wine shop that specializes in little known wines from around the world that offer a great expression of terroir. Some are good, some are fantastic. So yes, I do drink $10 wines--but not the $10 from the grocery store. Why would I spend $10 on mediocre wine when I can get good to great wine for the same price? Why would anyone?