Hapag-Lloyd MS Europa.

English Voyager

Found your +/-/Neutral review helpful and interesting. The categories you chose to "score" were the same as those that affect our enjoyment of a cruise. Your concise, clearly articulated rationale for your scores allows readers to effectively come to their own conclusions. Again, thanks for the well written concise review.

Greg

My impression of the Europa (after 4 cruises) is pretty much the same.

A few notes though:

- Wearing jeans is no problem in the Lido since the dress code doesn't apply there.

- Ice tea is free all the time. And with the free water in the fitness center, the included mini bar, all the events that include alcohol as well as the the afternoon tea, we have had a $0 beverage bill without going 'without' (hubby loves expensive dessert wines though, so we usually don't manage :D).

- I haven't noticed the 'not-my-job'-attitude but I can see it happening - it is a German ship after all ;)

True (we usually don't).

If you don't mind booking through a German TA though (they speak English), you can use Kreuzfahrtberater.de which will give you a nice on-board credit. Sometimes they even have a 'double' promotion which can easily give you more than 400 Euros in credits.

Also, Hapag Lloyd has an Adventskalender every December on their website, which often gives on-board credits to use on any cruise (you have to book in the following few months though). You can even use the Adventskalender vouchers when booking through a TA instead of HL.

Thank you, English Voyager, for posting the link to my review on this board as well. We will be sailing on Regent next week for a short cruise (10 days Istanbul->Istanbul), so will be getting another chance for comparisons. As my 'nom de plume' implies, a good wine selection is important :-)

Cathaana, I will give Kreuzfahrtberater a try if we ever decide to book again. When I asked about on-board credits (which we are accustomed to receiving from US TAs), most of the passengers we spoke to didn't have credits from TAs but had paid the annual Hapag Lloyd membership fee and had quite a bit of credit to use towards beverages, shore excursions, etc.

Thank you, English Voyager, for posting the link to my review on this board as well. We will be sailing on Regent next week for a short cruise (10 days Istanbul->Istanbul), so will be getting another chance for comparisons. As my 'nom de plume' implies, a good wine selection is important :-)

Cathaana, I will give Kreuzfahrtberater a try if we ever decide to book again. When I asked about on-board credits (which we are accustomed to receiving from US TAs), most of the passengers we spoke to didn't have credits from TAs but had paid the annual Hapag Lloyd membership fee and had quite a bit of credit to use towards beverages, shore excursions, etc.

MsSommelier,

My pleasure.

Have you considered a cruise on the more informal Europa 2?

You will probably deduce from the specific thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1822494

it is now my preferred choice of luxury cruise ship.

I booked my imminent cruise on the Europa 2 in 2014 when Hapag-Lloyd had a special 'Beverage Credit' Promotion.

My UK Cruise Agent does not offer an on-board credit, but does appear to offer a discount on the published cruise price.

most of the passengers we spoke to didn't have credits from TAs but had paid the annual Hapag Lloyd membership fee and had quite a bit of credit to use towards beverages, shore excursions, etc.

You start collecting these credits per day/night on your first cruise and can apply them on your second and all future cruises. I found out that we can use our credits on the second leg of our b2b cruise and we will then have more credits than the initial cost of membership.

The way I understand it, the days/nights of the second leg accumulate, but the credit would have to be applied on a third cruise. Some passengers seem to accumulate without spending and prefer to save for more valuable privileges. The line must have a lot of loyal customers. We met one on our Ponant cruise.

You start collecting these credits per day/night on your first cruise and can apply them on your second and all future cruises. I found out that we can use our credits on the second leg of our b2b cruise and we will then have more credits than the initial cost of membership.

The way I understand it, the days/nights of the second leg accumulate, but the credit would have to be applied on a third cruise. Some passengers seem to accumulate without spending and prefer to save for more valuable privileges. The line must have a lot of loyal customers. We met one on our Ponant cruise.

The one-off sign-up Fee to 'The Club' is 150 Euros per person, with an annual Club Fee of 50 Euros per person with effect from the second calendar year of membership.

In respect of the Europa, and Europa 2, amongst other benefits, one collects 360 bonus miles per night.

The acquired bonus miles remain valid for five years.

Bonus miles can be converted into credit:

Bonus miles --Credit

700 --50 €

1.400--100 €

2.100--150 €

2.800--200 €

3.500--250 €

... and so on in corresponding increments. Bonus mile credits are not limited.

It's not cheap to join the club. Unless you cruise with them lots I do not think it's worth it.

One recoups the sign-up fee after six nights.

On a back to back cruise the accumulated benefit would be applied to the second cruise.

Or a follow up cruise within five years.

Edited by English Voyager

• 5 months later...

1. The MS Europa catalogue I have goes through July 2017, with pricing. However, the present Europa 2 catalogue goes through March 2018, so it would help my decision on which HL cruises to put deposits on after July 2017 if I had them side by side.

Anyone have any idea when the new Europa catalogue will come out, e.g., for beyond July 2017? I want to try and get a potential jump on classical music special event routings, in particular, as they seem to sell out early (actually all the HL cruises sell out very early, but especially those).

The last set of cruises in the catalogue from April 27 to July 28, 2017, are closer to the U.S. and Canada, ranging from Honolulu EUR1708 to Vancouver/AlaskaEUR1709, to the Panama Canal and then finally EUR1712 is New York to Hamburg, via Quebec/Canada, July 7-July 28.

It is always a struggle for those of us on the west coast of the U.S. to deal with the high cost (despite declining oil prices)of advance business class non-refundable airfare getting to/from Europa, Asia, Africa etc., so closer embarkation points are welcome.

2. For those who have been on this ship: does the Europa have Nespresso machines in the base rooms, like the Europa 2 has, or any other in-suite coffee besides room service? The suite descriptions do not mention it. I really liked that feature on the E2.

3. I should have joined the club while on board the Europa 2 recently, as right now my post-cruise, delayed invitation to join is telling me I cannot pay with a credit card securely on-line, instead I am supposed to arrange a wire transfer to HL's German bank, which is a headache for me for various reasons!

4. It sounds like if you are traveling solo or as a couple, given the shortage of two-tops, you will have to sit at the same table with the same people every night in the main dining room at an assigned time in the MS Europa's MDR. I imagine trying to change tables could be challenging with a full ship.

Edited by Catlover54

3. I should have joined the club while on board the Europa 2 recently, as right now my post-cruise, delayed invitation to join is telling me I cannot pay with a credit card securely on-line, instead I am supposed to arrange a wire transfer to HL's German bank, which is a headache for me for various reasons!

Though you aren't specifically asking for advice on this topic, I wanted to share I paid for cruise fares in € (native currency is $) and paid both deposit and final payment both directly to H-L via wire transfer.

I used xe.com for the deposit and my local US based bank for the final payment.

Both were fine.

The xe.com transaction was easier due to everything done on my home computer. Only thing of which to beware is it is not "same day" as was the bank wire transfer.

As long as one plans ahead ~ 5 days lead time, the xe.com transaction was great.

It also allows one to "time" the transaction based on a specified exchange rate - like a conditional "buy" offer for stocks.

I don't remember any Nespresso machines but then we don't drink coffee. ;)

I have found the best and cheapest way to transfer money internationally is via transferwise.

You can always ask for you own table. If it isn't completely full, they will most likely accommodate you on a night by night basis.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the limited services available in English, I have taken the plunge and booked the 2017 Ocean Sun Festival cruise (EUR 1721).

With a highly favourable Euro/ £ exchange rate struck by Hapag-Lloyd, and a single supplement of less than 25%, it is a very attractive opportunity to sample the ship with the added bonus of a very high quality series of classical music concerts.

Does anyone have personal experience of the Festival?

Edited by English Voyager

so far i never did the festival but i found the classical music on board the 2 ships always very good

minor point on that particular cruise is the overnight in Rouen : despite the very pleasant approach to the town on Seine river , on a sunday there is simply nothing open - like in most French towns.

You will find meals, pastries and drinks and souvenirs - the other shops are closed.

also on a monday morning a lot remains closed as well .

however close to the place where the ships are docking - 15 min walking the shopping mall was open on monday morning.

obviously the Hapag Lloyd people here on CC remains a very "small cercle " ;)

after 17 years i will do a Cunard as well this year as late in fall the Hapag destinations are "too warm and too exotic " for me ...

I was finally successful in joining the club but am struggling with finding an appropriate cruise that isn't sold out ( like Vistaman, I cannot tolerate places that are too hot and humid, and there are other barriers). I am confident persistence will pay off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the best and cheapest way to transfer money internationally is via transferwise.

Cathaana,

Just wanted to thank you for posting this suggestion.

Used TransferWise to make 3 recent deposits.

Compared to xe.com it was cheaper by $50 to $200.

And the ability to do an ACH draft same day directly from my iPad was great!

I did the entire transaction for each deposit in about 5 minutes.

Easy peasy.

Regards,

ededmd

Cathaana,

Just wanted to thank you for posting this suggestion.

Used TransferWise to make 3 recent deposits.

Compared to xe.com it was cheaper by $50 to $200.

And the ability to do an ACH draft same day directly from my iPad was great!

I did the entire transaction for each deposit in about 5 minutes.

Easy peasy.

Regards,

ededmd

You're welcome. :)

Despite the limited services available in English, I have taken the plunge and booked the 2017 Ocean Sun Festival cruise (EUR 1721).

With a highly favourable Euro/ £ exchange rate struck by Hapag-Lloyd, and a single supplement of less than 25%, it is a very attractive opportunity to sample the ship with the added bonus of a very high quality series of classical music concerts.

Does anyone have personal experience of the Festival?

I will hopefully soon have some experience to share, as I just signed up for the September 8-21 2016 Lisbon to Nice Ocean Sun Festival cruise!

I really enjoyed the quality classical music with such easy accessibility on

the E2 recently and was keen to do another music cruise with even more.

I lost track of how many dozens of hours I have spent reviewing potential future cruises on the E2, the Europa, vs. non-classical focus trips with Seabourn or other lines squeezed in between other commitments such as other already booked cruises with DH and solo, vs. contemplating health issues and weather considerations, spending more time at our Sonoma Coast vacation home, overseas land trips on my bucket list, and of course working to earn money for more cruising! I had a week-long history land trip booked (solo) with the WWII Museum to tour the Normandy beaches mid-September which conflicted with the Ocean Sun Festival Europa option, plus I will already be with DH in Norway on SB Copenhagen- Dover July to early August, and have a big group one-week cruise committment in November on HA. So I had not initially considered the 2016 Ocean Festival cruise but finally decided to cancel the Normandy tour and go for it!

I will be solo, as DH will be doing a couple long group motorcycle tours as he typically does in September ( beautiful weather in California that time of year), he is not as obsessed with classical music as I am, and, as I mentioned in my E2 review, he prefers having more English speakers around him, and would hate having fixed dinner times. We will still probably do another E2 cruise together in late 2017 or early 2018,depending on how his first contrasting experience on SB goes this summer.

Unfortunately my solo supplement is 50% and not 25%. I am paying in Euros. I booked a veranda suite as I really like to drink wine, read, and dream on a private balcony. I am happy the supplement is not 100% like it is for solos on most SB cruises. The weather that time of year in that area should be good for balcony sitting, and for dining al fresco in the more casual restaurant on the Europa.

Assuming all goes well and nothing intervenes preventing me from going, I will post a review, though unfortunately without any accompanying wonderful DH photos like I posted from our E2 Africa cruise as I only photograph with an iphone.