Hapag-Lloyd MS Europa.

English Voyager

Catlover54,

You may have already seen it, but Hapag-Lloyd's German language website gives details of the musicians on your cruise.

There is even an orchestral concert ashore in Seville.

https://www.hl-cruises.de/schiffe/ms-europa/reisen/ocean-sun-festival

You are in for a treat.

Edited by English Voyager

Catlover 54 ,

Congratulations for your courage to go on ms Europa - it is wonderful but i am just referring to the language.

Do not miss the "gourmet" breakfast on sea days in the MDR.

Unfortunately i am joining in Nice - so a gathering is not possible

I decided not to go back to SB anymore despite the complimentary drinks including house champagne i i hate cutbacks in the F& B depoartment!

you must compare the cheeses on both ships ....

I am very glad that i had the courage to go on a "German" ship in 2007

Please note that you can make table reservations in the Lido for dinner

on ms Europa

Vistaman: I am confident my German, though non-native and requiring daily dictionary use on the E2 to look stuff up, will be good enough. I do not have a a drop of German blood but have a complicated family history and upbringing that involved developing an interest in Germans and German ( both parents were refugees from two different parts of Eastern Europe occupied by Germans, mother spoke six languages including occupation-learned German, father spent three years in a German forced labor camp and learned German there and later in displaced person camps in the Heidelberg/Mannheim area, and I "did time" there off and on when I was very young when we moved around a lot and I landed up playing hide and seek and ball with post-WW2 German kids in Allied bombing ruins. Plus, I have some native German friends I occasionally see who help me practice. On the E2 I was pleasantly surprized how much German had stuck in the recesses of my brain after so many decades in America and I felt comfortable, as I practiced with German menus next to English menus, compared overhead and waiter translations, and my iphone dictionary. I am a big fan of German classical composers as well, having studied classical piano when I was very young.

The language is thus less an issue than the personality issue ( e.g., general German reservedness) , but between the focus on the music and the food and the ocean and my general comfort traveling solo ( which is great for people-watching, observing, contemplation, and reflection) and the confidence gained in my German comprehension on the E2 I am confident I will be fine. If I meet someone sociable who does not mind a relatively Germanophilic American older lady traveling solo that would be nice ( I will go to any solo cocktail party they have, and I might also meet someone friendly at dinner) and if not, I will be fine alone, the music will make it worthwhile.

DH understands and speaks no German at all, and is generally bad with languages ( his strengths lie in technical areas, electrical engineering, cars, motorbikes, cameras, fixing things etc) and also has no interest in learning German, even though he is 3/4 German-blooded, from Minnesota where many Germans had settled over a century ago . I am confident he will be comfortable on the SB Quest with me this summer in Norway, where we will be joining group tables for English socialization, and of course taking more awesome pictures.

It is debatable if one would wish to fly such long distances in Economy Class, but, only listed on Hapag-Lloyd's German language website, is an Easter offer of free Economy Class flights , allegedly worth 3080 Euros per person, on Cruise EUR 1703 departing 05.02.2017.

http://www.hl-cruises.de/reise-finden/EUR1703/#overview

if i have to fly those distances in economy , i think they have me to bring to hospital

i even have problems flying - paid - business or upgraded first from the US back to Europe ( not caused by the free wines and drinks... )

if somebody does reach a certain age flying economy on such a long distance is quite heavy

for the moment i hope i will be able to reach Dubai on 6 th April for Europa 2

however my thoughts are going to the innocent people - killed on Brussels airport - a crime against humanity - it is a very big question when the airport will re open.

latest news is : closed until after easter.

Catlover54,

Re your cruise on the Europa.

According to the following, German language, video, the Europa's two week dry dock in late 2015 included the incorporation of new features, one of which is a new entertainment bar called Gatsbys'.

I am not sure if a Juke Box accords with the Europa's reputation for formality.

• 1 month later...

my next cruise is on the Europa 2 from Civitavecchia to Monaco 31st May

and in July i 'll be for 4 days on ms Europa for an event cruise "Sansibar"

that is with a party on open deck , a fancy buffet around the Lido

in all the restaurants the suggested wines are offered as are the drinks in the bars . There is also a firework.

my next cruise is on the Europa 2 from Civitavecchia to Monaco 31st May

and in July i 'll be for 4 days on ms Europa for an event cruise "Sansibar"

that is with a party on open deck , a fancy buffet around the Lido

in all the restaurants the suggested wines are offered as are the drinks in the bars . There is also a firework.

The Europa cruise has an overnight in Sylt.

I understand that it has a reputation for gourmet dining.

Will you be tempted to forsake eating on board?

i am very rarely leaving the ms Europa or the ms Europa 2 for lunch , maybe once in South France or in Italy. Last year i was intending to go out for lunch in Viareggio but it was 37 ° ...

On other lines i did it more frequently - last year when SB once again did close the MDR every day for lunch ( and i had enough of the buffets overthere ) i had a few lunches ashore.

Yes : on Sylt there are a few excellent but pricey restaurants - i even think there are 6 restaurants with Michelin stars (even with 2 )

however a lot of starred restaurants are not open for lunch - that is common sense in Germany.

In Hamburg I am always going to Hummerstand ( an informal seafood bar ) in Hanseviertel and to the Champagne bars in Alsterhaus - the department store - and the cheese monger where you can eat a cheese plate.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it is due to non German Artists being on board for the Ocean Sun Music Festival, but in respect of the 2017 cruise Hapag-Lloyd has today confirmed that:

An International Hostess is on board.

The Daily Programme is in English.

Menus will be available in English.

A summary of the Artists' programme will be in English.

Security Announcements will be in English.

All other Announcements will be in German.

Catlover54,

I presume the same will apply to your cruise this year.

I am getting excited about the music cruise, and just picked my advance excursions too, nothing too strenuous due to musculoskeletal problems. aone concert will be on land,

Hope the bed is softer on the MS Europa than on the E2 but I will bring the Thermarest just in case and maybe they even ask for a topper if it is hard

But first I must cruise with DH on SB to Norway, picked those excursions as well!

DH can discover his one-quarter Norwegian and try out his new Nikon D 500 camera

Two cruises so close together with just a month or so in between might be too much of a good thing or it may be so good I might decide to think about retiring and cruising even more! DH could keep working to pay for it all :) ( plus he just loves his work), so we could alternate, me solo or with a friend on the Europas, then us both together on non-German ships.

I am getting excited about the music cruise, and just picked my advance excursions too, nothing too strenuous due to musculoskeletal problems. aone concert will be on land,

Hope the bed is softer on the MS Europa than on the E2 but I will bring the Thermarest just in case and maybe they even ask for a topper if it is hard

But first I must cruise with DH on SB to Norway, picked those excursions as well!

DH can discover his one-quarter Norwegian and try out his new Nikon D 500 camera

Two cruises so close together with just a month or so in between might be too much of a good thing or it may be so good I might decide to think about retiring and cruising even more! DH could keep working to pay for it all :) ( plus he just loves his work), so we could alternate, me solo or with a friend on the Europas, then us both together on non-German ships.

Catlover54,

Have you been to Norway before?

It is a great favourite of mine, hence my growing excitement at my cruise on the Europa 2 next month.

As an ex-avid photographer- I now concentrate on video- your husband has certainly treated himself to a fine camera.

Does your Seabourn Quest cruise disembark in Dover?

With regard to your MS Europa cruise, have you been advised of the number of formal nights during the 13 days?

Has there been any advice on the dress code for the land based concert in Seville?

One of the artists due to perform on your cruise is Simone Kermes.

• 2 months later...

Catlover54,

As it is not long now until your 'Ocean Sun Music Festival' cruise, have you received any pre-cruise documentation?

If so, despite the Europa being a German language ship, am I correct in presuming that all documentation is in English?

Catlover54,

As it is not long now until your 'Ocean Sun Music Festival' cruise, have you received any pre-cruise documentation?

If so, despite the Europa being a German language ship, am I correct in presuming that all documentation is in English?

I have not received final documents yet, but got some preliminary documents a few weeks ago and they were indeed in English. My TA told me HL did not even process final payment on my credit card until 2 days ago though I had authorized it a month ago (maybe they were waiting for the Euro to go up v. dollar). TA has been pursuing the NY office of HL to get the final docs airmailed to her so I can meet her and get them, hopefully I will have them in hand this coming week.

Unlike DH who always packs the night before a trip (and stays up most of the night to finish), I am an advance planner (suitcase is sitting half-packed already, though I do not leave for Lisbon until 9/2) and I do not like last-minute, unnecessary anxiety, given I already have enough anxiety each trip worrying about something going wrong with my flights last minute as not uncommonly happens. I always check and double check my online flight confirmations, am on Lufthansa again.

I am very excited to go and hear the classical music up close, and also explore this unique ship, its food, and some ports that will be new for me. There may be a battle for me to keep cool in public areas, as on the E2 and its excursions the Germans did not like to keep the rooms and spaces as cool as I would like because they believe it is unhealthy, or quickly say "es zieht" (there is a draft) if you open a window in a van or bus. I plan to gleefully have my AC on high in my cabin and cool the room to an "unhealthy" 72 degrees F, and will also let the sea breezes of the lovely Med cool me, e.g., on my balcony and other outdoor areas (in the shade), as often as I can. Am loading up with short-sleeved clothing, hand fans, and moist cooling wipes to better endure the anticipated heat.

The preliminary documents indicate there will be two "gala" evenings on this length of a cruise, and I have no "gala" clothing as the kind of clothing I could acceptably wear for a gala night without looking ridiculous would be too warm to tolerate (I just have the kind of clothing that passes for formal nights on SB and SS which isn't bad but is definitely not an evening gown). Apparently the Lido is casual every night, however, so that could be my escape (reservations allowed) if it looks like people expect evening gowns in the MDR on those nights.

I will need to see what the internet is like in speed and cost on board before deciding if I will post about the trip live, or opt to just write a review after the cruise. I like what CC member Emperor Norton did with his recent Regent cruise on that forum (he posted a little bit at a time, with pictures, after the cruise when internet was good, rather than live, but you as a reader can follow along as if it is live). Unfortunately I will only have my iPhone 6plus for pictures to keep life simple and weight of my carryons down, and there will be no DH with me on this trip with his many lenses and photo skills, not to mention ability to help me lift things.

I am at a two week countdown now and the anticipation grows!

do not forget to make reservations for the dinner in the Lido!

and on those formal evenings - if you like it - do not hesitate to ask for a caviar upstairs :)

But I have to wait until I am on board for Lido reservations, or Dieter Mueller, right? No advance booking.

A few questions for vistaman and others who have been on-board:

1. Is there a retractable clothesline over the tub, like on SS and SB?

2. On the cabin balcony, are the chairs upright patio chairs, or does at least one of them recline a bit, or is there one chaise?

3. Is Lido open seating, where you look around trying to find a place to sit ( like on E2 Yacht Club), or do hostesses help you find a spot? If a free for all, is it crowded and hard to find a spot?

Are there trays for pax to carry food?

4. is the suite equipped with some silverware and a couple little dishes in the drawers, like on E2, and are you allowed to bring in a plate of food from Lido to your suite if Lido is crowded, or just allowed room service offerings?

If you order room service coffee in the morning, does it take long to arrive?

5. Are the hot tub jacuzzis hot, meaning above body temperature, or just lukewarm?

6. Can you use the pool 24/7 or only at designated daytime hours?

I am going no matter what, obviously, but I could plan a few extra things to bring, or not bring, depending on answers. I have a generous luggage allowance on my booked flights so if need be could bring an extra suitcase ( am trying the new premium economy product on LH outbound which I hope not to regret, and business on return from Nice via Munich).

My inflatable Thermarest is definitely coming with me , in case my hotel or ship bed is rocklike and too "healthy".

i 'll do my very utmost to reply :

yes there is a clothesline and you can change position of one chair for sure and there is a small table

Lido is open seating - only for dinner you can make reservations - there is also a theme on nearly every meal in the Lido : oysters , salmon, French , pizza , curry - one is "rustikalish" with steack tartar

it can be very crowdy if due to the weather the open space cannot used or only part of it

especially with the Bavarian Lunch on a seaday i do recommend to go and sit some 20 minutes before the opening ( despite there is plenty & plenty of food )

yes in one of the drawers there are plates and cutlery - and i never had problems taking a plate to my cabin

there are no trays on the Lido but waiters and waitresses are very willing to bring your plate to the table - usually 2 pair of cutlery on table

very willing to bring additional if you take first entree and cheese :)

all kind of coffees are free in all the bars - never had coffee in my cabin - if you want ice just ask it to stewardess on daily base also if you do not want beer but you want 4 cokes every day in mini bar : say it the first day - most Germans do not want ice at all.

breakfast in cabin : you can order at a specific time of course

Dieter Mueller : open for late breakfast on seadays for lunch and dinner by reservation

Venezia : italian VERY popular : reservations taken for lunch as well :cool:

jacuzzi : do not know and pool times are announced in daily programm

not open 24 hours

there is a sheet in your cabin on first day with all the culinary events in each restaurant

do not feel offended it they ask you your number when ordering a drink - it is simply part of the sytem on HL as you know from the "2"

on seadays : gourmet breakfast with complimentary champagne Duval

other highlights : pasta with truffes , steack tartare , crepes suzettes and the one and real wiener snitzel

i start my diet for 20 th sept as from tomorrow :eek:

The preliminary documents indicate there will be two "gala" evenings on this length of a cruise, and I have no "gala" clothing as the kind of clothing I could acceptably wear for a gala night without looking ridiculous would be too warm to tolerate (I just have the kind of clothing that passes for formal nights on SB and SS which isn't bad but is definitely not an evening gown). Apparently the Lido is casual every night, however, so that could be my escape (reservations allowed) if it looks like people expect evening gowns in the MDR on those nights.

I always need to bring an extra jacket when dining as the temperature is generally too cold for me on the Europa. :D

There is no need for evening gowns on gala nights. Yes, quite a few women do wear formal gowns but there are also always more than a few who just wear a nice combination (observed on four Europa cruises in the last few years).

But I have to wait until I am on board for Lido reservations, or Dieter Mueller, right? No advance booking.

Correct.

2. On the cabin balcony, are the chairs upright patio chairs, or does at least one of them recline a bit, or is there one chaise?

They do recline. We have also asked for additional furniture which was no problem (but the cruise was not fully booked).

3. Is Lido open seating, where you look around trying to find a place to sit ( like on E2 Yacht Club), or do hostesses help you find a spot? If a free for all, is it crowded and hard to find a spot?

It's always open seating but on some of the specialty nights it might be hard to find a non-reserved table. You can look around yourself but there is usually also a host around to help you find a spot. As to the crowds, it really depends as vistaman said. If you have a favourite spot, be early and make reservations for the evening. We actually started having breakfast at the main restaurant because it was much quieter and seating was no problem at all.

4. are you allowed to bring in a plate of food from Lido to your suite if Lido is crowded, or just allowed room service offerings?

We often brought back food from the Lido to our room, usually ice cream or some pralines. I would assume you could to it with a main as well though.

5. Are the hot tub jacuzzis hot, meaning above body temperature, or just lukewarm? Definitely not 37 degrees ©. I would say a bit better than lukewarm.

Edited by cathaana

• 3 weeks later...

Vistaman, I just realised I never replied to your question about Nice. Unfortunately I must go straight to the airport from the ship after disembarking to catch my flight so I can get home on time for resuming work so I will not be going to the holding lounge in Nice. But the stellar way the cruise is going I will likely be a repeat MS Europa customer so we might meet in the future!

Edited by Catlover54

well, you never know

the security on Nice airport became more strictly - if you do fly business there is a rather small lounge

one glass of champagne is free by request - other drinks are self service

i started on ms europa in 2008 and i did it every year until Crystal became all inclusive and took away a lot of nice items - :mad:

so i change between ms Europa and the europa 2 with very occasional others at a very special price - no more seabourn for sure

i did visit Azamara last week and i found it very "soso" despite drinks were partially free and not as expensive as on Oceania.

lunch buffet not so great looking - 2 cheeses supermarket style.

enjoy the rest of your cruise and the music.