Hapag-Lloyd MS Europa.

English Voyager

Vistaman, you have now almost certainly embarked on MS Europa in Nice today 9/21, on a most beautiful day, great for sailaway, I wish you as wonderful a trip as I had! On the way to the Nice airport today with others from the cruise on a HL bus, to catch a Munich flight, we did a 1.5 hour panorama tour of Nice, even more beautiful than I remember from 2 years ago.

Unfortunately after my perfect cruise with MS Europa, my Nice Lufthansa (LH) plane scheduled to Munich had a mechanical problem with much resultant chaos and confusion at the not so nice Nice airport. There were either birds in the engine on the flight coming in, or lightning had hit it, (explanation kept changing) or LH just made things up as they went along to explain the delay and 3 times gate changes, including loading and then unloading of disability pax. Needless to say the orderly HL Germans heading to Munich were NOT pleased with the disorganization, lack of proper announcements by the oblivious French gate agents, and lack of seating. Anyway as a result we left very late and as I only had a planned 1.25 hour layover in Munich to connect to my US flight to California, and Nice LH personnel had refused to do anything out of Nice to help me rebook home in advance, I missed the flight and there were no others to the U.S. today.

So I am now ensconced on a LH voucher in the not so great Hotel Moewenpick Munich airport, courtesy LH, overnight, with just my carryon backpack. Will be getting home almost 24 hours later than planned, assuming no more delays. HL had personnel at the airport in Nice and MUC to try and help make sure people would be able to get home after missed flights (though most were only heading to other parts of Germany), that was nice.

The Moevenpick is quite a striking change back to reality from the MS Europa. I had to remind myself when I went down to dinner that I did not need to worry about pre-tidying the room before turndown service came, as there would be no MS Europa style turndown, much less a decent wine to drink with dinner, or a chocolate with a wise saying on my pillow pile, or a terry wrap robe. But I do have a yellow rubber duckie at my bathtub, which MS Europa did not :)

We hope to hear about your cruise when it is completed.

• 1 month later...

I recently returned from a 13 night cruise on MS Europa from Nice to Barcelona (9/21 - 10/4). It was part of the first leg of the 337 night world cruise. BTW 7 cruisers are on for the whole world cruise. Our ports of call were Monaco, Portofino, Portoferraio, Civitavecchia, Capri, Lipari, Messina (replacement for Syracus), Palermo, Ibiza and Palma de Mallorca where we stayed overnight.

On the only sea day we celebrated the 17th birthday of MS Europa. On the first day in Palma de Mallorca the gourmet event Europas Beste 2016 took place onboard - 12 chefs combining 18 Michelin stars, 9 vineyards and more food experts presenting their products.

Of course the main language onboard is German and especially some of the evening entertainment did require German language skills. But we also had a group of Mexicans onboard who spoke - of course - Spanish and English.

I wrote a lenghty review about this trip with more than 1,600 photos. The text is in German but usually google translate works pretty well. And of course there are more photos than text ;-). So enjoy!

My personal highlight was anchoring at Capri - my favorite island - and passing by the island in the morning during sunrise (of course with Champagne being served on the outer deck and music playing).

steamboats

Catlover54,

We came in from Munich with LH2272 on 9/21. They had to stop service and we flew through a thunderstorm area prior to landing.

That thunderstorm cell hit me later... I "drowned" on the way from the check-in tent to the ship. We had umbrellas but way too much water coming down. We should have waited in the tent. :D

steamboats

Wonderful pictures, Steamie, I miss the MS Europa!

me as well - i am just back from a one week Queen Victoria

and i NEVER intend to go on a Cunard anymore

i was in a queens grill degree and i was not happy despite very friendly service especially from butler and stewardess .

and very expensive wine list

we endured the ":mad:pleasure " that we had to pay 10 % spanisch IVA ( VAT - sales tax ) during the entire cruise on drinks sailing from barcelona to Civitavecchia

and even 21 % on gifts and photos

steamboats ,

i was on that particular cruise Nizza - Barcelona as well - but i am listed as "german speaking"

yes - the day in Capri was beautiful as was the birthday party with the Moet rosé and of course the gastronomical event Europa's Beste

on the other hand i found it too risky to go to sorrento what i do prefer above Capri ( one of the best restaurants in Italy is 8 km outside Sorrento )

vistaman,

But we had plenty of time going to Sorrento. I prefer Capri over Sorrento (o.k., haven´t been there for about 20 years now). It´s still my favorite island - maybe because it´s been my first island ever.

The VAT thing is bad and not understandable for a European who is used that the VAT is included in the price tag. It´s valid for all cruises which start in an EU port and don´t have a non-EU port in the itinerary. We paid it on the Europa too but there it was included in the "price tag". The US cruise lines add it to the advertised price as the Americans do with their state tax in a shop.

steamboats

me as well - i am just back from a one week Queen Victoria

and i NEVER intend to go on a Cunard anymore

i was in a queens grill degree and i was not happy despite very friendly service especially from butler and stewardess .

and very expensive wine list

we endured the ":mad:pleasure " that we had to pay 10 % spanisch IVA ( VAT - sales tax ) during the entire cruise on drinks sailing from barcelona to Civitavecchia

and even 21 % on gifts and photos

Given Cunard's extremely high mark up on alcoholic drinks, and their compulsory 15% service charge, charging the Spanish VAT should have been waived.

How was the quality of the cuisine in the Queens Grill Restaurant?

During my cruise last January, I found the quality in the Britannia Restaurant to be very good.

Given Cunard's extremely high mark up on alcoholic drinks, and their compulsory 15% service charge, charging the Spanish VAT should have been waived.

They can´t! It´s a European law. Been on the Harmony of the Seas in August (Western Med out of Barcelona). There you pay 18% Service Charge on drinks plus 10% Spanish VAT - so actually 28% added to the price in the bar menu. So a cocktail marked 12 USD on the bar menu is a total of 15.36 USD including Service Charge and VAT.

Funny thing is that NCL even charges the US state tax on every single drink you order even for those who have a prepaid all inclusive beverage package! I haven´t heard yet whether they do this in Europe too.

steamboats

i do not think it is an European law , but a Spanish application of the European sales tax called VAT ( IVA ) as the rate is different in each EC country ( to fill up the poor Spanish "treasury" )

how can a Spanish IVA tax be appropriate in France or Italy.:confused:

i think no cruise company found the courage to go to the European court so far ... probably to avoid further problems

on the other side all supplies to cruiseships in Spain are done under the system "FOB " free on board

i think Spain can require the tax for sure when in a Spanish port but not in international seas or in other countries.

englishvoyager,

i was lucky the 7 days Barcelona - Civitavecchia was at a stupid low price.

i was not very happy at all : example i bought some nice items in marseille to eat those in my cabin ;)

comparing the ingredients with Hapag Lloyd ... Harrods vs Tesco?

on the first dinner the fillet steak was rather "leathery" - extremely poor quality of cheeses on the trolley !!

in the Queens Grill ( i do remember my 4 cruises on QE2 very well ) there is still a lot of show especially those flambé items

caviar is taken away from the à la carte menu , so it is a special to be granted by maitre d'h or his assistant - and served on a plate

the choice for lunch is limited - i had 2 lunches in the Lido and 2 dinners because it was possible to eat fresh pasta made to order in Lido aside in the pizzeria ( very slow drinks service overthere!! )

the wine service was good in QG - in view of the not so friendly prices + service + tax i took a 4 bottle package

i did see very few upper( 80$ ) medium and quasi non (+100$) top wines being served ( last day 1 great Burgundy in white )

i will not go back to Cunard , not even for a similat "stupid "price

vistaman,

Yes, of course we had VAT in Europe "forever". But that the VAT applies on cruise ships is based on an EU directive of 2006 (so it´s not direct EU law but the countries have to transfer it into local law). It´s very complicated. The VAT rate depends on the port of embarkation.

I´ve been on a cruise to nowwhere out of Southampton and bought a magnet. Had to pay 20% British VAT on that magnet.

steamboats

vistaman,

Yes, of course we had VAT in Europe "forever". But that the VAT applies on cruise ships is based on an EU directive of 2006 (so it´s not direct EU law but the countries have to transfer it into local law). It´s very complicated. The VAT rate depends on the port of embarkation.

I´ve been on a cruise to nowwhere out of Southampton and bought a magnet. Had to pay 20% British VAT on that magnet.

steamboats

And yet two years ago on the Europa 2, calling at Spanish ports, and Lisbon, there was no levying of the Spanish VAT on alcoholic drinks.

English Voyager and vistaman,

Hapag-Lloyd does not add the VAT to the price listed in the menus. Anyway they have to pay it to the Spanish government as well.

Other German cruise companies like AIDA or TUI Cruises don´t add this either.

That´s mainly because we Europeans are used to prices which include the VAT. In the US it is common that the price tag is not what you pay but a sales or state tax is added at the cashier. It´s just different common practise.

steamboats

my next cruise is in february on board mein schiff 2

i noticed the extra wines and luxury level spirits are also at extremely friendly prices ...

it is obviously Spain that is imposing it

last year i had twice a departure ex France and the VAT was not calculated on my special wines on SB or on Crystal

so we must look carefully for the departures ex Spain not calling in Gibraltar or so :cool:

suppose an Oceania : already very expensive drinks + 18 % service "for your convenience:mad:" + 10 % tax :eek:

English Voyager and vistaman,

Hapag-Lloyd does not add the VAT to the price listed in the menus. Anyway they have to pay it to the Spanish government as well.

Other German cruise companies like AIDA or TUI Cruises don´t add this either.

That´s mainly because we Europeans are used to prices which include the VAT. In the US it is common that the price tag is not what you pay but a sales or state tax is added at the cashier. It´s just different common practise.

steamboats

So, there is nothing preventing Cunard, as I suggested in my earlier post, waiving an additional charge to passengers in respect of Spanish VAT.

I am due to cruise next February from Barcelona to Rome with Viking, so I will enquire on it's Forum as to that Line's policy.

So, there is nothing preventing Cunard, as I suggested in my earlier post, waiving an additional charge to passengers in respect of Spanish VAT.

The magic word is "revenue" ;)! They still would have to pay it but then it´s all out of their pocket (or they just charge a higher price by giving out a menu with VAT included).

steamboats