Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Ah... Jeff, lunch looked tasty.

Almost ready to head in to work. Chris is already there so my job was to get dinner ready for when I come home, and also to bring in lunch. She has it quite good when I work evenings/nights.

Lunch today is "Panini" sandwiches. Prosciutto, roasted red peppers, and cheese which was heated on the grill until the cheese melted. They look good with the grill marks, and they smell really good. Unfortunately I have to wait until I get to work to eat one!

Mary,

They are astonishingly good. Of course nothing has been thrown around in a shop. Everything has long dates. They can stock low volume things. Customer service is exceptional. Until last week they had a wrinkle which gave flash sale prices for forward orders, but they found out ....

Wonderful.

Jeff

We had the Tandoori Chicken in The Taj Mahal Indian Cooly Restaurant today! It had been a happy corn-fed organic chicken marinaded and massaged in lovely spices for three days and we were reassured that it was a happy chucky before it was cooked and plated.

Jeff

11109E7D-7039-4435-86B7-6F0A669A9F35.jpg

Yum! That looks delicious!

Dinner will be light tonight as there is an employee appreciation barbecue for lunch at work today. In past years the food has been pretty yucky, but last year they really did a nice job with it. The menu sounds equally nice this year, so we are expecting to eat a larger than usual lunch. When I get home from work, a little Dover sole in a lemon beurre blanc, along with Jasmine rice.

This doesn't look like much - hope Chris leaves some for me!

tHbOCX-tW8P6iVTORIXK45nQQ3g1LRpQPzVkju_oRCU6=s800-no

The heat and humidity are miserable again today. Time to see if I can get a little exercise in before it gets unbearable.

So instead of going out for a run, I'm looking at flights for Christmas weekend. Much more fun I think!

Chris just had the idea of spending the weekend in Prague. What do all of you think vs. Barcelona? The disadvantage that I see off the bat is that the flights are longer to Prague which matters when you're talking about just a weekend trip.

We would arrive around 3PM Christmas Day in Prague (Friday) and have Sat/Sun to explore, then return somewhat early on Monday morning. This is as opposed to Barcelona, where we could be there by 9AM Christmas Day and have pretty much 3 full days before leaving late Monday morning (late morning). It's almost a full day's difference on the ground at our destination. The price for either set of flights is similar. Decisions, decisions!

So instead of going out for a run, I'm looking at flights for Christmas weekend. Much more fun I think!

Chris just had the idea of spending the weekend in Prague. What do all of you think vs. Barcelona? The disadvantage that I see off the bat is that the flights are longer to Prague which matters when you're talking about just a weekend trip.

We would arrive around 3PM Christmas Day in Prague (Friday) and have Sat/Sun to explore, then return somewhat early on Monday morning. This is as opposed to Barcelona, where we could be there by 9AM Christmas Day and have pretty much 3 full days before leaving late Monday morning (late morning). It's almost a full day's difference on the ground at our destination. The price for either set of flights is similar. Decisions, decisions!

Hi JP.

What are you seeking exactly? A magical European romantic Christmas experience? If so, I think your first bit of research might be what is closed by the time you arrive ....

For example ... most Christmas markets close in Europe by the 23rd so that stall holders can spend Christmas at home and in most places everything will be dead and shut by the time you arrive. Most cities are dead'ish over Christmas.

I suggest a reboot and unless I have misunderstood the parameters I'd start thinking about of what might be open in Europe firrst that is worthwhile traveling all that way to, to arrive on Christmas day. Unless you start with that rather pragmatic and practical approach I fear you might end up with less than you imagine. I won't repeat anything already said about Barcelona. :)

If you start along those lines and then want a few further less obvious suggestions then I'm happy to put up some off-central ideas for you to mull over.

Jeff

xx

I spent a magical time in Firenze over Christmas.

I have a friend who has an agency with properties all over Europe.

In Firenze we stayed at a palazzo right on the Arno and lived in the city like Florentines. Went to the duomo on Christmas Eve which was fun as many natives arrive dressed to the teeth in all their finery.

We had purchased some fresh pasta and other stuff and cooked in on Christmas Day and went for long walks in the environs.

Since you didn't mention Florence, I thought I would toss it out there.

JP - I vote for BCN - my favorite city in the WORLD! Been there about 10 times, years ago rented an efficiency apartment and spent almost 2 weeks living like locals. You can take a big bite in 3 days - and I'll bet you'll want to return again and again. If you decide, I will share some little gems.:)

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Jeff, spinnaker2, and Mary Ann - thanks.

What are we looking for? Well, part of it is the idea of spending Christmas somewhere different or exotic. It hasn't been a big Holiday for our family in many years so we don't have big traditions to stay home for. It was kind of a rush last year to pick up and go to Paris last year for the heck of it, just because we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to do so.

We had a great time, so we thought it would be fun to try somewhere else this year. We don't need this to be the definitive visit to a particularly city, where we see every attraction there is to see and tick it off our bucket list. We do know that the Christmas markets are closed before Christmas itself and that some attractions will be closed as well. That doesn't make a huge difference to us.

What we would do, wherever we go, is to spend most of the time wandering the streets, enjoying the sights, especially parks, architecture, and soaking up the local ambience. If there are a few tourist attractions open so much the better, but we can always come back for those another time. We would grab some simple breakfast and lunch foods from street vendors or cafes, sit somewhere with a view, and enjoy. One of my favorite snacks from Christmas in Paris was a whole wheat (Breton) crepe with ham and cheese, which we bought from a guy with a pushcart in the street, and devoured while taking in the view of Notre-Dame cathedral lit up for Christmas. That's what we're looking for.

We'd want to have some nice meals, nothing too fancy, but good food with local flavor. Exploring food markets counts as experiencing the local flavor. If we visit a museum or two to learn some local history, that's a plus. And of course, there better be a church tower to climb!

Do those random thoughts help you Jeff? Spinnaker2, I think we could have a great time in Firenze as well, though the flights at first glance aren't as easy for us. But your description of your trip matches exactly with what we'd like to do for a weekend there. And we've only been there for part of a day, probably almost 10 years ago, and a return trip is definitely in the cards - some day! Dusababy - Chris is pulling out her notes from our last visit to Barcelona, so more suggestions will be welcomed, if we decide on that destination.

JP,

Yes, that is extremely helpful in that it licences to suggest from a much much wider portfolio of ideas of varying degrees of whackyness than otherwise. So my suggestions are made ignoring what is and is not practical from a travel viewpoint .... to a degree ... because so much depends on (a) the time a flight leaves your airport and (b) the TOTAL time until you arrive and only you can guage that from knowledge based on what is suggested. It is total time not just faff about time. Also ... and this is really important to me based on your earlier comment. Two days in a really great place is better than two and a half in place that isn't. That is an alogrythm that only you and Chris can square. Time on the ground divided by ounce of pleasure sort of thing.

Another consideration ignored completely is places you may have already been to and may therefore not be on the possible list. I'm pretending therefore that you haven't been anywhere or if you have you want to return if you get my drift.

One thing out of the way. In the choice betwen Prague and Barcelona ... then on the basis of depth and atmospghere ..... and BEER ... well need I say more. Na Zdravi!

I also have a couple of fixations. Firstly I think that most of Europes gems are in second or third or lesser tier cities and towns. The rest are for torursits not travellers. So with these things in mind ......:)

Can I get a suggestion out of the way straight away because it has been on my mind for Chris and you for a while and I think it is a trip made in heaven. I cannot get it out of my mind. Ask me why .. I cannot say. I just think you must. It involves a flight to Brussels and then a train to town a change of platform and then into Bruges. But once there the station is right in the middle and I know you would both love it .... Bruges. BRUGES!

Secondly, this may be impractical but as I said I am not judging that. Ravenna in Italy. I think Chris and you would love Ravenna.

I also feel ... and I can say why on this one .... Amsterdam would be a decent third choice because so much of Amsterdam is really young and therefore everything is open. And you will be joining a city that is more open than shut over Christmas as a result. I would make the highlight of that trip a Risjstafel that I'd pre-book and I'd take home some Leyden cheese.

Although we are out-Viennered .... I think Vienna would be a city worthy of consideration for a return trip for you two because it is magical all year and much will be open and it is so walkable and full of winter food. And 365 day bratty kiosks. As you know I am a sossy safari person.

On the basis of the previous I also feel that Saltzburg might be an option but might mean going via VIE.

From a food viewpoint then Lyon is a possibly the current food capital of the whole wide world.

Can we start with these ... and when you say why or why not we can home in more on a nugget or two and others?

Jeff

JP - I vote for BCN - my favorite city in the WORLD! Been there about 10 times, years ago rented an efficiency apartment and spent almost 2 weeks living like locals. You can take a big bite in 3 days - and I'll bet you'll want to return again and again. If you decide, I will share some little gems.:)

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Welcome back Mary Ann,

In your previous note you felt the need to state that some of the rest of us plebs were being "ignored".

In the distinct spirit of the fact that the sole purpose of this thread is to be friendly and inclusive, would you like to reconsider that - as you do seem to like the thread. Will you engage with the rest of us? You will get more, and clearly have a contribution to make.

I know we might not be good enough for you, but if we promise to really try harder to reach an acceptable level ... how about it?

I for one would like to hear of your extensive Barcelona experience.

Jeff

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Um, Jeff, in case you are one of the ones being blocked (no insult intended here!), it might be helpful to have someone who clearly isn't blocked (no names mentioned but his initials are JP :)) respond to your post and reply. Just a thought!

Um, Jeff, in case you are one of the ones being blocked (no insult intended here!), it might be helpful to have someone who clearly isn't blocked (no names mentioned but his initials are JP :)) respond to your post and reply. Just a thought!

Leave poor JP out of it! :D

You could have responded ..... and thus it would have been read! :eek:

Did you enjoy my tandoori?

Jeff

I would have responded if I thought I was not one of the ones being blocked. :) I absolutely did enjoy your tandoori! I tasted it with my eyes and found it scrumptious! I took Sonny for a late lunch at our local pub. We had some lovely mother-son time. :) It is gruelsomely hot here and we walked there as Myster has the car at work. Now we both need showers. :(

Oh ... that's much better, I presumed it was just me!

:D

When you say "presumed it was just me" are you talking about belonging to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Gentlewomen or are you talking about needing a shower? :)