Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

That retirement plan sounds really sensible for both of you. It gives you interest, time together, and solo time. It also gives income.

I hate few things passionately but golf is up there at the top. You dress up in strange garish clothing like an absolute prat, and walk around a lot but without too much change of scenery. But the worst thing of all, is just when you think you are heading towards the place with all the drinks and all the food .... you get closer and closer .... and then turn around and walk away again. It is a daft tortuous thing to do and totally pointless.

And the thing that most irritates me in the world is those idiots who insist on taking pretend golf swings with pretend golf clubs and pretend golf balls on a pretend golf course towards a pretend hole ... in their office. They jiggle their silly hips about and look at a spot on the wall and take their pretend swing and watch their pretend ball as it "flies". They all deserve certifying as insane.

:)

Jeff

Your description of the golf loons is hilarious and more so because it is so very accurate! Fortunately for me, Myster enjoys the game but does not get nutty about it. He is very patient and supportive and funny so discounting the pain involved in contorting my body to approximate the correct golf stance and swing, our time together on this game is fun!

Rupert the Bear is adorable but grown men wearing togs like that look a wee bit silly in my view. I think that might be a UK thing though Jeff! Myster wears shorts and a collared golf shirt. And the only pro golfer I remember who dressed outside the norm was Payne Stewart who typically sported patterned pants that were a cross between plus fours and knickerbockers. Maybe you should try the game again. You might enjoy it this time around and you don't need to dress like the Bear! :)

I have absolutely no desire to take up any sport other than walking. God never intended otherwise and I agree with him totally. Or her if I must.

When I was working for a living, during a lunch following an agreement for a new client and therefore a new budget for our (my) advice my new client asked me if I played golf and he was shocked when I said not only that I didn't play golf but that I hated it passionately. He told me that he thought it would be more proitable for me if I learned and played golf. I told him I disagreed. He asked me what I did with clients instead of golf. I told them that I invited them around to HQ for lunch, expected them to arrive at 11:00 or so when I would cook them lunch and ply them with lot's of wine. I told him that this normally resulted in me getting lot's of cash out of them. I told him that a by product of lunch was lots of great ideas and cunning plans, and that it was sometimes necessary to write things down otherwise he would forget. He looked doubtful.

Two years later he had become our largest spending client and over a lunch approved a budget for the following year in excess of £1m which changed our lives a bit. He told me that he thought that lunch with me was much better than golf would ever likely be and in my view the customer is always right.

And I didn't look like Rupert Bear. And I didn't break anything. I owe everything to lunch. Not golf.

:)

Jeff

What a great story Jeff! I doubt you could ever even remotely resemble Rupert! And your approach to gathering clients was perfect for you and how you roll! I have no doubt that lunch with you would be much more fun than a game of golf! Bravo for marching to the beat of your own drum!

I told him that a by product of lunch was lots of great ideas and cunning plans, and that it was sometimes necessary to write things down otherwise he would forget. Two years later he had become our largest spending client and over a lunch approved a budget for the following year in excess of £1m which changed our lives a bit. He told me that he thought that lunch with me was much better than golf would ever likely be and in my view the customer is always right. Jeff

YES!! Super love this story. Very fun and interesting. I don't play golf, either. Takes too much time and not sure that I would ever get that good or decent in trying to being do it. Did a little golf 20 or so years ago. Can be fun and interesting to walk along on nice courses. BUT, the total time required is a little too much for my needs.

Lots to catch up with this busy boards. Been busy, busy much of this week with my projects, work, etc. BUT, getting caught up a little now. More to come and be posted over the weekend. Lots of very good food and travel pictures have been posted. Much appreciate!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,478 views for this posting.

Jeff, didn't realise that next weeked is a bank holiday!!:rolleyes: I did look at London for a couple of days but Virgin trains are disrupting services during that period so it's a no no!

I'd like to take a short break in Alicante...lovely City with great food and loads of shoe shops....:D airfares were very expensive though and that was the cheapies!

Guess I'll just have to wait out the six weeks until the cruise! Hope we make Istanbul too but l really don't worry too much these days although l doubt I shall venture out from the hotel due to the ongoing problems, l am staying at the Kempinski so fingers crossed!

The offspring are in London today shopping....DD has her bank card on my account so I'm having a glass of wine to soften the blow l fear may come later ;)

Happy Weekend Everyone....

S:)

Thank you Mysty....I'm sure it will all work out! My SIL is a huge Chelsea fan so they've been down to the club this morning to see some cup and get shirts...DD puts up with all that jazz so she can do her shopping this afternoon!

Forgive me if l have missed it but where in Canada are you? My late hubby lived in northern Quebec as a young boy and for his 60th birthday l planned a trip back for him which he loved...and so did l, a beautiful country.

Thanks S! It is a beautiful country! :) We are just outside the nation's capital, Ottawa. Winters are getting a little much for me. Not a fan of cold and snow! However, in the grand scheme of things, it is an awesome place to hang your hat! :)

UK Jeff,

You are on. When and where? Just add 30min to two hours to your schedule, the usual :eek: delay for BA into SZG...

Hi,

That is lovely ... we'll look forward to it. I guess it is going to be tough organising anything specific as we're on the ground for a lot less than 24 hours.

If you happen to be out that evening wifey will look like this when drinking punch mit schuss in a christmas market ...

DSC00019_zps6ade52b2.jpg

................ We'll be at one of the stalls ... close to the Cathedral steps (probably) and the secret password is "Are you Wifey" and the magic answer will be "Yes but only for today ...". She will possibly be under arrest for smacking one of those idiots who where masks and beat people on those days. You know what I mean. :D

Are you Austrian and born and brought up there?

Jeff

Jeff, didn't realise that next weeked is a bank holiday!!:rolleyes: I did look at London for a couple of days but Virgin trains are disrupting services during that period so it's a no no!

I'd like to take a short break in Alicante...lovely City with great food and loads of shoe shops....:D airfares were very expensive though and that was the cheapies!

Guess I'll just have to wait out the six weeks until the cruise! Hope we make Istanbul too but l really don't worry too much these days although l doubt I shall venture out from the hotel due to the ongoing problems, l am staying at the Kempinski so fingers crossed!

The offspring are in London today shopping....DD has her bank card on my account so I'm having a glass of wine to soften the blow l fear may come later ;)

Happy Weekend Everyone....

Alicante is a lovely city ... in a way it is in my mind as a sort of Spanish Nice ...

Have you thought of Palma for a day or two? Cheap as chips with tapas but elegant and walkable, not far from the airport and I can suggest a place or three? Use to be a joke but now posh for heatherns like you and me Soapy gal.

Today was a salad at La Bistro. We had some wasps and one landed in wife's wine. It made me wonder. Is a wasps death floating around in my wine better than anything we get? We need some Greek philosphers. Or Jeffrey Barnard in a state of unwlellness.

It has been a lubberly jubberly lunch today with lovely wife being happy and me doing food for her which she liked ... irrespective of the wasp.

Jeff

501422EC-019B-4A62-BD5D-5237D83D510A.jpg

17AD34A4-A1DE-4447-9614-3B6C82C395B0.jpg

If you happen to be out that evening wifey will look like this when drinking punch mit schuss in a christmas market ... Jeff

Appreciate the lovely picture of your wife. Plus, am super enjoying the lunch pictures and the colorful table cover. Great postings.

Have never been to Alicante or Palma. Lots still to see and do in Spain. Plus, have Lisbon and Portugal on our to-do lists for the future.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,160 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

And now back to Florence. Look at fiesole...a wonderful walk above Florence.

YES, Florence can be wonderful. The history and culture there are super amazing. And, it is so close to the charming sights of Tuscany. Below are a few of my notes and visual samples from being there.

With approximately 382,000 resident and in the middle of a metro area with over 1,520,000 people, Florence is famous for its history and art. During the medieval European period, their trade and finance made Florence one of the wealthiest cities of the time. Most important, Florence is considered the birthplace of the Renaissance. It has also been called "the Athens of the Middle Ages". Its political history includes periods of rule by the powerful Medici family, plus numerous religious and republican revolutions. Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982, Florence is noted for its culture, Renaissance art, architecture and monuments. Its museums include the Uffizi Gallery, Galleria dell'Accademia and Palazzo Pitti. The Galleria dell'Accademia has Michelangelo's famed David, maybe the most well-known work of art anywhere. Forbes Magazine calls Florence one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I agree!! Florence is also an important city in Italian fashion. Lots of classy shops, business locations, etc.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 53,631 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Florence boasts of being the "art capital of Italy" with its numerous museums and being the enlightenment center that sparked the Renaissance with its architecture treasures and great history. Here's a view of its historic river bridge, Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge), with many shops on it and the tower of the Palazzo Vecchio or town hall.

It-FlorRiverBridge.jpg

Tuscany is so wonderful with its beautiful countrysides, plus you can go to great cities like Siena with its spectacular horse-racing town square and 12th Century Duomo Cathedral. So much to do, so little time.

It-TuscCtryFlowers.jpg

Florence’s Duomo or Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style and completed structurally in 1436 with the famed dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi. The exterior is faced with polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white. The cathedral complex includes the Baptistery and Campanile. The three buildings are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The basilica is one of Italy's largest churches and until the modern era, the dome was the largest in the world. It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.:

FlorenceRoofsDuomoCath.jpg

FlorenceCathAtNightVertical.jpg

The Uffizi Gallery is one of the oldest and most famous art museums in the western world. Here is one of its famous painting of Botticelli's Venus. It depicts this goddess Venus emerging from the sea as a full grown woman. Booking ahead your tickets to this great museum can avoid wasted time waiting in line during the busy times.

FlorenceFamedPainting.jpg

FlorenceMuseumInterCeiling.jpg

I think Vienna would be a city worthy of consideration for a return trip for you two because it is magical all year and much will be open and it is so walkable and full of winter food. On the basis of the previous I also feel that Saltzburg might be an option but might mean going via VIE. Jeff

Yes, Vienna is super wonderful and so charming!! We forget that up till the end of World War I that the Austria-Hungary EMPIRE was very big and super powerful. Vienna has so much interesting and unique. Below are a few of my sample visuals of its character and history. Plus, love Salzburg. First visited these two cities in December 1970 while in college.

Lots of great options to consider. Agree that my top priority for a short holiday visit would be much based on how the airline logistics would work and make that trip over and back to be more manageable and reasonable.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 29,781 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here are some highlights and potentials in Vienna. First, from spectacular Vienna, this great “Imperial” city has a nice pedestrian-only area that runs from St. Stephen’s Cathedral towards the main Hofburg Palace area. Second is an example of the main live music/dance programs offered. Third is an example inside their main art museum with great treasures. Finally, are two views from the “country/summer”, 1,441-room Schonbrunn Palace. This includes the back view of the garden and upper areas and then approaching a gate with the main building in the background.:

ViennaMainSquarePeopleFount.jpg

ViennaDancerMusicProgram.jpg

ViennaStairsArtMuseumView.jpg

ViennaSchPalaceGardensBack.jpg

ViennaSchPalGatesPeople.jpg

Salzburg is like a fine “jewel box”! Here is a view from one of its church palaces and gardens up towards the Castle that stands watch over this special city of only about 145,000 residents. Lots of interesting history, churches and style here. This includes areas where the “Sound of Music” made it famous. It has internationally-renowned baroque architecture and is one of the best-preserved city centers north of the Alps. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997, it is noted for its Alpine setting. You can tour the birthplace and early home of 18th-century composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.:

SalzburgGarden2CastleView.jpg

I love the misty mysty shots of Lake Louise!

Being a lazy old toad, I had not bothered to look Barcelona tourism on the internet, which I have no doubt jp or Chris will have done. I am even more amazed at the multitude of things to do and see, and continue to press my suggestion that you would indeed both find lots to see and do - and there are some really nice unusual hotels too. With all the advice coming in, you will have enough places to do short visits to to last you for years!

I love the misty mysty shots of Lake Louise!!

YES, appreciate that wonderful view of of Lake Louise. Have it on our future "to-do" list. That's a long list, but working away at those challenges. Just need more time AND money!!

Weather? Below from AccuWeather, done both in F and C for folks on both sides of the pond, here is what things look like here in Central Ohio today and for the next two weeks. Nice August period??!!

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 24,570 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

From AccuWeather this morning, here is how things look here in Central Ohio for the next 15 days. Done with two different temperature versions!! Like?:

Aug2015PixsA10_zpsnmsouphz.jpg

Aug2015PixsA11_zpsmtkarnet.jpg

Looking for more interesting locations to add to your "to-do" wish list> From the CNN on Thursday afternoon, they have this headline: "Lonely Planet reveals its 'ultimate' travel destinations".

This includes their picks for "the definitive guide to the world's top tourism attractions." Lonely Planet is publishing this fall a large coffee-table book by their team of travel authors and experts to have "mega-sights and hidden gems in a definitive wish list of the 500 best places to visit on earth."

The good news for those interested in travel to New Zealand and Australia is that there are four picks from these two great countries among the "World Top Twenty". Australia's Great Barrier Reef is ranked number two. The Temples of Angkor (Siem Reap, Cambodia) is ranked number one. For the Great Barrier Reef, Lonely Planet says: "Stretching more than 1,860 miles up the northeastern coast of Australia, it's home to the world's largest network of coral reefs and thousands of species of fish and marine life."

Here are their top picks from around the world:

1. Temples of Angkor (Siem Reap, Cambodia)

Lonely Planet says: "The world's greatest temple to the Hindu god Vishnu, the magnificent monument of Angkor Wat is the crowning glory in a complex of more than 1000 temples, shrines and tombs that forms a virtual city of spires in the jungles of northern Cambodia."

2. Great Barrier Reef (Australia)

3. Machu Picchu (Peru)

4. Great Wall (China)

5. Taj Mahal (Agra, India)

6. Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona)

7. Colosseum (Rome)

8. Iguazu Falls (Argentina/Brazil)

9. Alhambra (Granada, Spain)

10. Aya Sofya (Istanbul)

11. Fez Medina (Morocco)

12. Australia's 12 Apostles.

13. Petra (Jordan)

14. Tikal (Guatemala)

15. British Museum (London)

16. Sagrada Familia Cathedral (Barcelona)

17. NZ's Fjordland National Park

18. Santorini (Greece)

19. Galapagos Island (Ecuador)

20. Hobart/Tazmania's Museum of Old and New Art

We were fortunate to see three of the four locations during our Australia/NZ adventure early last year, plus many other wonderful options we enjoyed during our trip to these two countries. There are five other key places that we have visited on this list. That leaves just thirteen more for us to be visiting. Better get busy.

Few will agree for exactly the same top twenty listing. What major locations are missing from this list? How many have done more or others on this key listing?

Full story, including pictures from their top locations around the world, is at:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/17/travel/lonely-planet-ultimate-travelist/index.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,592 views for this posting.