Alaska land/sea recommendations

Webbbiera

Just checking -maybe too early now, and too early in the season of 2016-being late May but just wondering if the Eielson shuttle will actually be operating when we travel (May 30th) as it doesnt appear as available on the calendar.

Nope- starts June 1

The shuttle reservations open on December 1 for 2016.

The dates for 2015 are Shuttle Bus Service start dates are as follows (weather dependent): Maybe call them re 2016?

Toklat - May 20

Eielson Visitor Center - June 1

Wonder Lake and Kantishna - June 8

All services conclude on the second Wednesday after Labor Day

No need to call anyone, these dates have been fixed for years.

No need to reserve in December either. Can even wait until 2 days prior when they release their held back seats at 7am. By calling, I've always gotten the buses I want, especially useful, for repeat trips in and extended Denali Park stays.

Ok. Looks like the Tundra one is the only one available then.

The TWT goes to Toklat, milepost 53, $130

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

The Toklat shuttle goes to Toklat, milepost 53, $30 .

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

Since you're just beginning your research I recommend the Alaska forum of tripadvisor for more information. Under Top Questions is a resource page with lots of useful links for trip planning, as well as trip reports from past years. It's amazing how many folks from Australia, Philippines, India, UK manage to develop nice itineraries for DIY trips. (DIY with a rental car, RV, ferry, float plane, or train and bus)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

Edited by mapleleaves

The TWT goes to Toklat, milepost 53, $130

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

The Toklat shuttle goes to Toklat, milepost 53, $30 .

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

Since you're just beginning your research I recommend the Alaska forum of tripadvisor for more information. Under Top Questions is a resource page with lots of useful links for trip planning, as well as trip reports from past years. It's amazing how many folks from Australia, Philippines, India, UK manage to develop nice itineraries for DIY trips. (DIY with a rental car, RV, ferry, float plane, or train and bus)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

Thanks Mapleleaves. Yes, I absolutely agree that it is better to do a DIY itinerary but this trip is very different from our other os trips and is about letting someone else take care of the major structure and I am just filling in the bits. We still work full time, so letting someone else worry about luggage, trains, major transport etc and not worrying about driving or organising transport will be bliss. Have driven in LA and Florida before but looking forward to just scenery watching this time. I'm also sorting out Hawaii for a week pre and post.

I am on trip advisor too but find their search function awful. I always use TA for working out hotels. And yesterday looked at reviews for a glacier landing at Talkeetna for that afternoon. That will be our 'one flight' glacier experience this trip. Weather permitting.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks Mapleleaves. Yes, I absolutely agree that it is better to do a DIY itinerary but this trip is very different from our other os trips and is about letting someone else take care of the major structure and I am just filling in the bits. We still work full time, so letting someone else worry about luggage, trains, major transport etc and not worrying about driving or organising transport will be bliss. Have driven in LA and Florida before but looking forward to just scenery watching this time. I'm also sorting out Hawaii for a week pre and post.

I am on trip advisor too but find their search function awful. I always use TA for working out hotels. And yesterday looked at reviews for a glacier landing at Talkeetna for that afternoon. That will be our 'one flight' glacier experience this trip. Weather permitting.

Your thinking is all over the place. :) And you are making it MUCH more difficult. Since you want a cruisetour- WHAT you need to look at is TIME, and making sure you are going where you want to enjoy activities. This "problem" you have with Denali- is unnecessary. It is pretty simple to decide what you want to do. It is ALL about getting IN to the park, and how far you want to go- there are only 2 choices, an INCLUDED tour bus or shuttle buses. Princess is the only cruise that refunds the Denali tours- so only line you need to determine- if you want a refund or not.

You say you want simple- then book a cruisetour- everything is arranged and done for you, real easy and enjoyed by many. it also seems, it may not be of that much interest to you- what it includes, since you may be open to just a look, and going where they take you- with no preference?

You are giving a lot of reasons, why the research is not going all that well for you. :) So, then forget it perhaps? Pick a cruise tour that sounds good to you, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your Alaska trip.

Edited by Budget Queen

funny ... I find the search function on TA far superior to CC. :)

I just need to remember to put the quotation marks around the words I'm searching on.

I'm sure you'll have a great visit to Alaska. But DO look at the RESOURCE page on TA .... lots of links with useful info, like the port and town sites, alaska101, Alaska.org and Alaska.gov. A great way to learn about the sites and activities available at each destination.

Have fun planning and enjoy your trip.

Edited by mapleleaves