Impact of new luxury ships?

OctoberKat

I'm waiting for a cruise line to build a medium sized two type of accommodation cruise ship (preferably under 1,000 passengers) in which all accommodations [other than where a Veranda or Ocean View suite is located within the ship] are identical with all guests enjoying the same level of service and amenities.

The Veranda or Ocean View suites located it what are considered the less desirable way forward, way aft or restricted view locations could be offered at a lower cruise fare and offer a price advantage to passengers that don't mind those locations - especially when those passengers know that their accommodation, other than location, is equal to any on the ship. Such a ship would have no need for tacky multi colored cruise cards that tend to symbolize a supposed class or status difference. A premium experience ship like this would also enforce a minimum casual dress code befitting an upscale resort?

Interesting fantasy.

Putting aside accommodations for a moment, the four major luxury cruise lines (not counting foreign cruise lines discussed a lot on this board) enjoy "the same level of service and amenities". There are no "cards" to show on board except when getting on or off of the ship (and , in the case of Regent, those cards are color coded based on how many nights you have sailed - not what level suite you are in). There are some differences between these cruise lines (note: we have only sailed on Regent and Silversea - my comments about Seabourn and Crystal come from their websites and/or customers posting on Cruise Critic.

1. Regent - passenger load is from 490 to 750. Three of the soon to be four Regent ships (one is debuting July) are all suite - all balcony ships. The smallest ship is about 90% balconies. With the exception of the new ship, the majority of the suites are the same size and are priced based upon location. Whether you are in the many "regular" suites or in a Penthouse, Grand or Master Suite, you are treated the same once you walk outside the door.

2, Silversea has many ships - different sizes and types but all under 600 passengers. As with Regent, everyone is treated the same.

3. Crystal, under new ownership, is building a whole lot of ships i- from yachts to river boats and ocean ships. Their current fleet is only two ships (unless the first yacht has debuted - not sure) and they accommodate approximately 1,000 passengers.

4. Seabourn has the newest fleet (it sold off their older ships).

I really cannot see any cruise line building a ship with only two types of cabins/suites but, as mentioned, you can have the luxury experience that you are seeking. In addition to not having a class system or needing to show your "card", the inclusivity of the different cruise lines make it easy to know exactly how much will you pay for your cruise. All four luxury lines include alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, specialty restaurants (exception Silversea which has a charge for one restaurant) and tips are included. Some of the luxury lines include air fare, transportation to and from the ship and may also include excursions.

There is a lot out there. Suggest you check out the websites for these cruise lines and also check our the individual Cruise Critic message boards to get a feel for each line.

Edited by Travelcat2

Mein Schiff 4 is rated 4+* by Douglas Ward.

The following video may be of interest:

I looked at this videos and a few more, interesting. It looks like a nice, modern, but big ship and overall from the video impressions, I would not call it luxury. Although it is described as inclusive on tips and basic drinks, ( not excursions) there are 2500 berths, and it has 1:2.5 service ratio. It is family-oriented with a mix of pricing on cabins, including some very cheap inside cabins. The cabins on video are mostly cute and efficient (i.e., a welcome huge number of charging plugs, and hammocks) but I think too small to be called luxury. Base little balcony cabins have a nice coffee machine ( but extra charge if you use more than one capsule) but no mini-bar, no bathtub, only a small shower, and no 24/7 room service.

There is a separate part of the ship with nice Junior Suites that are more the size of base SS and Regent and SB, plus a little extra, that have minibars, and where the area requires special access cards, and where you have special services and special lounging and breakfast area and get priority special access on the rest of the ship to specialty restaurants, which I read can be hard to get into ( not that the food elsewhere is bad, they have artisan breads and Italian ices for all). So it is two-class, for whatever that connotes to people . The junior suite would appeal to DH to be able to have bigger space, and sit and eat snacks away from the many kids on board, e.g., there were 500 out of 2500 pax per one reviewer, and (unlike on Europa 2 ) they were not well-behaved. There are two pools, one is a long 25 meters, the other is covered, and there are tennis courts, so good for swimmers, but I did not see special pool time access for adults and kids, like the Europa 2 has.

Pricing is accordingly lower than on true luxury lines, e.g., 250 Euro a day per person for the small base balcony cabin, 200 for an inside cabin ( some of which appear located across from junior suites, perhaps for the kids of higher spending parents) and 350 plus for a junior suite ( these are examples from a 10-day Bremerhaven to London cruise late next year ).

Unless my budget weakens, I would only consider a junior suite here, as I like my in room fridge, room service, and a calmer environment for lounging than a 2500 person ship provides, though absence of an in room tub would be missed. Pax ratings are high, however, likely due to a nice balance of offered affordable modern cruising product with decent varied food you can take enjoy with your in-laws and grandkids, swim, see shows, and not bust the bank.

It is also a German ship, of course, but crew speak English.

Personally I don't see why it matters to anyone how many types of cabin categories there are as long as the service onboard is pretty much equal for all. Anyone who's waiting for that type of ship should look into alternative travel plans cause it ain't gonna happen. Would you expect a hotel to have only one or two room categories? Why a ship?

Personally I don't see why it matters to anyone how many types of cabin categories there are as long as the service onboard is pretty much equal for all. Anyone who's waiting for that type of ship should look into alternative travel plans cause it ain't gonna happen. Would you expect a hotel to have only one or two room categories? Why a ship?

Wipro: I am not sure if this is addressed to me, or more generally to prior posts. I actually *like* having more choices on pricing, style and cabin location, for ships, just like on hotels, and airlines, and just like in restaurants. Abundance of choice, and competition, and offerings of varied products, for profit, is the basis of our capitalist economies! Depending on with whom and for how long I am traveling, I may wish to spend more or less money depending on what I value, so I am glad there are choices.

And of course if one pays more, one should generally expect more on the same ship at some level, maybe even beyond the suite, if that is made clear in advance.

I think the concern some people have who wish to travel in the cheapest cabin on luxury lines (which is still luxury) is that they may be treated second class in public areas by waiters, reception, the excursion desk, and others, when that hidden second class status in public areas is not explicitly advertised by the cruiseline (especially if their lower level cabin or loyalty status is clear on a card, or they are not on a special VIP list, which certainly exists on some cruise lines).

There is also some concern if dining is separate (especially if there is assigned and limited seating) then you can't just easily have dinner with someone you meet on the ship. I don't think these are insurmountable barriers, just factors one takes into account, and I like open dining. If everyone in a base cabin is treated well and as they expect in the public areas they are entitled to utilize, *as represented by the line*, then there should be no problem.

On my last Europa 2 and SB cruises, which I ranked 5/5, I had a higher level suite (upgraded for free on E2, paid for a PH on SB) and was treated very well, so it will be interesting to see if I am treated equally well on SB in a base suite on an upcoming cruise, as DH and I have no status there.

Wipro:

I think the concern some people have who wish to travel in the cheapest cabin on luxury lines (which is still luxury) is that they may be treated second class in public areas by waiters, reception, the excursion desk, and others, when that hidden second class status in public areas is not explicitly advertised by the cruiseline (especially if their lower level cabin or loyalty status is clear on a card, or they are not on a special VIP list, which certainly exists on some cruise lines).

I can tell you from personal experience that this is not the case on Crystal (at least on their existing ocean ships) -- I was treated wonderfully even a) in a low category cabin, b) being new to Crystal and c) traveling solo. Were those with 50 previous Crystal cruises treated to something extra special? I don't know, but it didn't impact my experience and if it happened, it was very quiet.

I personally prefer traditional dining, which is one of the reasons I'm so happy with Crystal.

I cruise 'entry level' on Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2, and have never felt that I was receiving less attention, or lower quality of service, from staff.

In fact, as I have mentioned before, on my last cruise I was the only native English speaker on board, and the Captain still repeated his daily announcements from the Bridge in English.

Edited by English Voyager

Catalover,

I think the problem on this board is that they do not differentiate here between real luxury lines and non luxury lines like Oceania which they insist on calling luxury. On true luxury lines like Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Crystal you are treated the same no matter which cabin you are in. There may be small exceptions for the largest suites where a couple of extras are included but in general everyone gets treated the same.

It is only on Oceania or perhaps Azamara which are not luxury lines where you have different colored key cards, different embarkation times and different treatment according to your accommodations.

I know many say these other lines are luxurious enough for them but that is a personal decision, not a qualitative one. Hyatt hotels are luxurious enough for many but they are no Four Seasons and should not be included in the same category.

If this board would not include those ersatz luxury lines there would be less confusion. jmo.

The list of Cruise Lines at the head of this Section is very specific.

Actually, not really -- it says included by not limited too. Regardless, even here they list Oceania, but elsewhere they call it luxury lite: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1468

Edited by calliopecruiser

The list of Cruise Lines at the head of this Section is very specific.

And that is the problem. There include lines on their kist which clearly are not luxury, like Oceania. that is where the confusion about different color key cards and other things comes in. Just because Cruise Critic includes these lines does not make them luxury.

And that is the problem. There include lines on their kist which clearly are not luxury, like Oceania. that is where the confusion about different color key cards and other things comes in. Just because Cruise Critic includes these lines does not make them luxury.

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder.

Oceania is as luxurious as we want to get. Who really cares if those who pay more get more, it's the way of the world. I have some Gold cards for sale if you want them!

Oceania is as luxurious as we want to get. Who really cares if those who pay more get more, it's the way of the world. I have some Gold cards for sale if you want them!

I agree. We use other cruise lines due to itinerary and timing in the event Oceania is not available for those dates. If not, O is just perfect for us and looking forward to our month in S. America this October on Insignia :).

And a Toyota may be as luxurious as you want to get in a car but that does not make it a luxury car.

Why would I want your old gold cards?

Have to agree with wripro - even the CEO of Oceania does not classify Oceania as a luxury cruise line. Cruise Critic seems to have their own definition and since this is their website they can use whatever classifications they wish to.

It is generally accepted that the majority of people in North America consider the major luxury cruise lines (in alphabetical order - not in order of luxury) Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. SeaDream and Paul Gauguin Cruises are also luxury but I would not consider them to be in the top four.

Luxury-lite or premium plus include Azamara, Oceania and Viking Ocean (it is odd that it is not listed above).

IMO, luxury river cruises are a different category than Ocean going ships.

Cunard is, IMO, a mainstream cruise line with a section of the ship being luxury.

Foreign luxury lines appear to be Compagnie du Ponant and Hapag-Lloyd (cruise lines that I believe should have their own CC board).

I personally find that lumping all of these cruise lines together to be confusing to some posters.

catlover,

i am afraid to inform you SB does not have a system at all concerning upgrades - as a first timer you have far more chance to receive one ( to make you happy - they call that a commercial upgrade )

SB simply does not verify your history

last year i did my 16 th on SB and they dropped me in the worsest cabin on board after quite some complaining and interventions finally a V1

people doing a second were on V5 ...???

together with some other items as daily closing down of MDR and quality of food on that particular cruise i had it with SB

same history on Crystal - doing 18 th i had to stay in my booked cabin

2 people doing number 3 on "guarantee" were in the most expensive degree of "normal cabins" so no PH on deck 10 and that was not the only heavy upgrade.

for cruise companies it is obviously - in a time of IT - too much work to give priority to loyal customers

i never did notice a lot of upgrades on Silversea

i noticed quite some favouritism especially on SB and on one of the Crystal sisters concerning reservations for the speciality restaurants

on ms Europa 2 the only difference seems to be the 2 owners suites can ask for a reserved table on the Yacht Club.

Who gets an upgrade is not the determining factor for what makes luxury cruise line.

I agree with Travelcat2 completely.

The inclusion of so many non luxury lines on this board makes it useless imo.

Who gets an upgrade is not the determining factor for what makes luxury cruise line.

I agree with Travelcat2 completely.

The inclusion of so many non luxury lines on this board makes it useless imo.

and i agree with you as well

unfortunately on cruise ships in the "luxury" segment a lot of items changed the same as travelling on planes long distance in first or business

my very first long distance business class in 1993 was a lot better as most of the first today...

i agree immediately the price of good ( iranian or russian ) caviar reached outrageous levels but it is not the only item

however there are other items : no fresh orange juice, poor cheeses , sparkling wines presented as real Champagne , changing Perrier and san pellegrino by "something in a bottle", cancelling buffets on expensive cruises , daily closing down of the MDR for breakfast and lunch, extra charges for speciality restaurants , canned fruits

i cannot qualify those items as "luxury" at all

i am very curious if the luxury degree on Cunard is still luxurious - after 17 years of absence on that company.