No More First Lunch Aboard at an MDR?

Smokeyham

On the Star Princess in October, 2014 my friends were turned away from the Main Dining Room (MDR) which was serving lunch. They were told that the only people who could have lunch there were either suite passengers, or those participating in the Bon Voyage Experience. They were told that all non-suite passengers had to go to the buffet.

I also checked the Patter for that day, and there was no MDR listed for the embarkation lunch.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this on other cruises? For us having the first on lunch on board in a MDR is something we very much look forward to, and I would hate to see that not be an option.

I'd be interested in hearing of your recent experiences.

Thanks.

We were just on the Ruby in May (2015) and one of the MDRs was open for lunch. Last November on the Emerald we eat in a MDR with our daughter who was on a BVE.:)

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

I am hoping this was a one-time issue, and that lunches on the first day in the MDR will still be provided.

ChiefBoats.... If you have friends doing the BVE, then you can eat lunch with them in the MDR. I did that awhile back with friends who were going to Hawaii and I did a BVE with them.

Maybe that was a one-time thing on the Star that day. :confused: I always manage to get lunch in the MDR. They do what they can to direct you to the buffet, but I just show up at the DR and get seated.

We were just on the Ruby in May (2015) and one of the MDRs was open for lunch. Last November on the Emerald we eat in a MDR with our daughter who was on a BVE.:)

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

May have had a lot to do with the BVE on board that day. They might have wanted to keep the crowd small to make an impression on those doing the BVE.

That said, regardless of why this happened, be prepared for the crew to try to push you to the buffet. We boarded Regal in March and as soon as we stepped on board various crew members tried to push us to the buffet. I'm sure they were trying to be helpful thinking that most new passengers were eager to go to the buffet. We just smiled, said thank you, and stepped around them continuing on our way to Alfredos. It was very obvious that these crew members had been told to send everyone to the buffet.

One of the benefits of being involved with CruiseCritic is learning cruising "secrets" such as this one! :)

May have had a lot to do with the BVE on board that day. They might have wanted to keep the crowd small to make an impression on those doing the BVE.

That said, regardless of why this happened, be prepared for the crew to try to push you to the buffet. We boarded Regal in March and as soon as we stepped on board various crew members tried to push us to the buffet. I'm sure they were trying to be helpful thinking that most new passengers were eager to go to the buffet. We just smiled, said thank you, and stepped around them continuing on our way to Alfredos. It was very obvious that these crew members had been told to send everyone to the buffet.

It seems to be a problem on the Star. They have tried to turn us away on two cruises. They also do not post anything in the Patter. Believe me I looked. We did finally get admitted to the MDR after we went through several lines of command!

Cheers, Denise

It seems to be a problem on the Star. They have tried to turn us away on two cruises. They also do not post anything in the Patter. Believe me I looked. We did finally get admitted to the MDR after we went through several lines of command!

Cheers, Denise

Who did you talk with to finally get the OK to have lunch in the MDR?

The Head Waiter went and got permission from someone. The Maitre D. Maybe?

Our cruises on the Star have had some of the best times :D and truly the worst :eek: we have ever experienced on a cruise!

Cheers, Denise.

I always manage to get lunch in the MDR. They do what they can to direct you to the buffet, but I just show up at the DR and get seated.

We always manage to get lunch in the MDR also, but staff insist that it isn't open and try to direct us to the buffet. On our recent cruise we were having a quick word with the Cruise Director and said we were "off to the Dining Room for lunch." He insisted that in all his years of cruising the dining room hasn't ever been open for lunch on embarkation day. He was wrong.:D This seems to be one of the best-kept secrets on Princess ships. We usually find fewer than 10 or a dozen people there.

We had lunch in the MDR in late June.

I just doesn't feel like a cruise if we don't start with a lovely lunch in the MDR>

If you chose to eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, is there a dress code that is suggested? I have never eaten lunch in there but would like to. I would want to board the ship appropriately dressed.

If you chose to eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, is there a dress code that is suggested?

We have lunched in the MDR a few times (not on embarkation day.) It's just the same as the buffet...shorts and t-shirts.

I don't see the big deal of eating lunch in the MDR the first day. It is just like a port day - it should not be open. We board early afternoon after we have had lunch at our hotel's restaurant. Hate crowds and like to just walk on board after the rush is gone. I feel sorry for the poor crew - give some of them one meal that they don't have to work so hard.

I honestly think some people just don't want to shell out the money for lunch. I know they say that day is the first day of their cruise and they paid for lunch so they want to eat it on the ship.

Just my opinion.

We always manage to get lunch in the MDR also, but staff insist that it isn't open and try to direct us to the buffet. On our recent cruise we were having a quick word with the Cruise Director and said we were "off to the Dining Room for lunch." He insisted that in all his years of cruising the dining room hasn't ever been open for lunch on embarkation day. He was wrong.:D This seems to be one of the best-kept secrets on Princess ships. We usually find fewer than 10 or a dozen people there.

Agree totally. I made it my mission to get on board by 12.30pm on embarkation day during my recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

Staff directed me to the buffet,and the cafe. They all insisted no MDR's were open. Staff in elevators insisting you go to deck 15 to the buffet. There were approx. 6 tables occupied in the Midship Deck 5 MDR during the lunch period. All those occupied were tucked around corners or by windows away from anyone who looked in or stuck their head through the door!

Ironically the cafe was full to overflowing with people eating sandwiches and sweets just a few feet from the entrance. :)

Last year April sometime, we boarded the Diamond in Yokohama for a 27 day adventure. We decided to check out the MDR for lunch rather late (don't remember the time) but we were the ONLY diners they served that day.

Now, this was probably due to the fact that there were many other nationalities onboard who were new to Princess cruising. But I must say, although they were actually eager to serve us, we almost felt as if we were putting them out.

I don't see the big deal of eating lunch in the MDR the first day. It is just like a port day - it should not be open. We board early afternoon after we have had lunch at our hotel's restaurant. Hate crowds and like to just walk on board after the rush is gone. I feel sorry for the poor crew - give some of them one meal that they don't have to work so hard.

I honestly think some people just don't want to shell out the money for lunch. I know they say that day is the first day of their cruise and they paid for lunch so they want to eat it on the ship.

Just my opinion.

I'm pretty much in the same line of thinking as you are on this.

Denying entrance to the embarkation day MDR lunch happened more often a couple of years ago despite Princess inviting us to it. At that time they said it was due to uninformed crew & has run smoothly during our recent cruises.

Maybe it's time on some ship's to retrain the crew again to prevent denying entrance to the embarkation day MDR lunch. It is not important to all passengers but since Princess invites us then crew needs to admit all passengers who want to begin their cruise with a relaxing MDR lunch.

If you chose to eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, is there a dress code that is suggested? I have never eaten lunch in there but would like to. I would want to board the ship appropriately dressed.

No, there isn't a dress code for the first lunch aboard.

I wonder why?

Just my opinion.

Well, we respectfully disagree (in a big way) with your opinion. Have been cruising for more then forty years (on more cruises and lines then we care to admit) and our norm is to be on board as early as possible on embarkation day. Once aboard we do lunch, and take advantage of various options depending on the cruise line. Yes, we could go out to lunch in the embarkation city and arrive at the ship after 2. But why? We try to use the embarkation day as a cruise day and work it similar to a sea day. This means being aboard early, enjoying lunch, relaxing on deck (in swim wear if the weather is appropriate) and enjoying the entire afternoon. If embarking out of Florida we will have swim wear in our carry-ons so we can change as soon as we get access to our cabin. If embarking in Europe, Asia, South America, .....then we adjust to the local situation.

And there are other advantages to being among the first to board a ship. For example there is the Chefs Table (first come first serve with reservations) and the Sanctuary (first come first serve). And if one wants to change their dining situation it is usually advantageous to be among the first to speak with the Maitre'd.

And it is not about "shelling out money" for lunch :). It is about trying to maximize our time on a cruise :). In fact, we will often be among the last to leave a cruise (on disembarkation day) preferring to enjoy our breakfast and relax on deck while other passengers are standing in long lines trying to crowd off the vessel. Usually by 9:30 or 10 the crowds are gone and we simply walk off the ship, pick up our luggage, and grab a taxi to the airport or wherever we are going. No stress, no lines, no hassles.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The Head Waiter went and got permission from someone. The Maitre D. Maybe?

Our cruises on the Star have had some of the best times :D and truly the worst :eek: we have ever experienced on a cruise!

Cheers, Denise.

How long ago did you have problems? I had the worst cruise experience EVER on the Star in 2002 (took me 6 years to try Princess again) & have booked for a 4 day in November, very apprehensively.