Beware of the 4 day free cruise offer to Mexico

oskidunker

I usually win a free cruise almost every week. Get a phone call and tell me I've won. I don't know how many people fall for these scams but they keep calling so a few must take the bait. These people are on par with the computer guys that call and say there from micro soft and my computer has a virus and they can fix it. I just say F off and hang up.

I usually win a free cruise almost every week. Get a phone call and tell me I've won. I don't know how many people fall for these scams but they keep calling so a few must take the bait. These people are on par with the computer guys that call and say there from micro soft and my computer has a virus and they can fix it. I just say F off and hang up.

I get both of these on an all to regular basis. I have a similar response. :eek:

Despite being on the "do not call" list we regularly get calls from solicitors. Some of the area codes and exchanges they are coming in from on the caller ID appear to be local, but they are not. Very annoying.

We also got the postcard for the "Free Carnival cruise', of course tossed it!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Some of the people I end up working with blow my mind. They believe almost anything. It's scary.

The most recent amount of money lost to the IRS back tax scam is estimated at $20 million dollars. Those scammed come for all backgrounds including highly educated & wealthy people who give thousands of dollars. Somehow they believe the police will at their door in a few minutes to arrest them unless they immediately purchase cash cards to give to the "IRS"! :eek:

It's amazing to me how gullible people can be to believe such scams or those that randomly give away things for free. It's pretty simple...if it's too good to be true them it's most likely a scam.

It's funny the number of postcards I get saying we've won a free cruise...usually with the same info but an incomplete return address. Fodder for our recycling bin.

We usually don't have the bell on for our landline but if we do because we're expecting a call, we almost always get several sales calls and often an announcement that we've won a free cruise. We're on the DNC list for all of our phones, but I don't think it really does anything. The violators know there's nothing that will happen to the.

Somehow they believe the police will at their door in a few minutes to arrest them unless they immediately purchase cash cards to give to the "IRS"!

Makes one think that some of those scammed must have done something to feel guilty about.

We're on the DNC list for all of our phones, but I don't think it really does anything. The violators know there's nothing that will happen to them.

Most of these calls are "spoofed"...your phone shows it as coming from a Washington DC number but it is most likely from some faraway country where there is no real law.

Edited by skf

If nomorobo is available in your area, I highly recommend it. Visit nomorobo.com to check. They automatically block robocalls after the first or second ring. It's amazing how many fewer calls we get now. Yes, it also must work when there's a live person calling, because we get hardly any of those too.

Kathy

If nomorobo is available in your area, I highly recommend it. Visit nomorobo.com to check. They automatically block robocalls after the first or second ring. It's amazing how many fewer calls we get now. Yes, it also must work when there's a live person calling, because we get hardly any of those too.

Kathy

It has worked great for us & many times it only shows on my phone's caller ID and never rings. :) I report to them calls that do not get blocked & also block those numbers on my phone. Using these things my robo calls that ring in my house have been greatly reduced. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Kathy

Will check that out.

We're on the DNC list for all of our phones, but I don't think it really does anything. The violators know there's nothing that will happen to them...Most of these calls are "spoofed"...your phone shows it as coming from a Washington DC number but it is most likely from some faraway country where there is no real law.

We are on the DNC list also, and I'm not sure it does any good, either. Many calls do come from out of the country, but some calls are US-based and say they are "exempt" from the DNC list as they are a charity or political party or whatever :(.

We are on the DNC list also, and I'm not sure it does any good, either. Many calls do come from out of the country, but some calls are US-based and say they are "exempt" from the DNC list as they are a charity or political party or whatever :(.

I was reluctant to put my name on the DNC list to give to telemarketers telling them to not call me without real enforcement if they did call me. Eventually I added my name to the list & then got more telemarking & robo calls.

Thankfully Nomorobo blocks nearly all of my robo & telemarketer calls and does something the phone companies & the government have been unable to accomplish.

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/guy-found-way-block-robocalls-phone-companies-wouldnt/

Edited by Astro Flyer

...Thankfully Nomorobo blocks nearly all of my robo & telemarketer calls and does something the phone companies & the government have been unable to accomplish.

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/guy-found-way-block-robocalls-phone-companies-wouldnt/

I'll check it out, too. Mahalo nui loa!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Kathy

The best thing I ever did was sign up for Nomorobo! We were getting so many robo calls I was getting ready to get rid of our landline. Now they just ring once and my husband and I just smile at each other.

The best thing I ever did was sign up for Nomorobo! We were getting so many robo calls I was getting ready to get rid of our landline. Now they just ring once and my husband and I just smile at each other.

My house phone has an option to ignore the first ring so we never hear anything & only learn of robo calls when looking at our phone's call ID. :)

...These people are on par with the computer guys that call and say there from micro soft and my computer has a virus and they can fix it. I just say F off and hang up.

I got one of those the other day. I intended to string her along, pretending to do everything she said, then tell her I have an Apple computer. I ended up laughing, though, and telling her while laughing "You're a liar! You are SUCH a liar!".

She hung up on me. Ah well.

When I was a child, when a telephone solicitor called, my mother would tell me I got a phone call and hand the phone to me. They usually hung up on me :(.

I will probably jinx this by saying it, but I got rid of my landline and got OOMA (one of those internet phones). They have a community black list. I've had them for about 6 months, and I've yet to get a single telephone solicitor call.