So confused about Hurtigruten

linderbelle

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great thread for me, as I am considering Hurtigruten. A main concern is that I cannot eat any fish or seafood (it nauseates me (and I grew up on the coast of New England, so, no, it's not a question of freshness)). Is there always a meal option or two that would work for me?

Also - have any of you taken the Expedition voyages? If so, what is different about those?

Thanks!

Edited by azevedan

This is a great thread for me, as I am considering Hurtigruten. A main concern is that I cannot eat any fish or seafood (it nauseates me (and I grew up on the coast of New England, so, no, it's not a question of freshness)). Is there always a meal option or two that would work for me?

I don't eat fish and I have been fine. There has always been 'something else' or the staff have found me something if I have asked.

Also - have any of you taken the Expedition voyages? If so, what is different about those?

Thanks!

Fram carries a maximum of around 225 and works the Arctic and Antarctic in their summers. The expedition team and crew are excellent and work hard to provide interesting landings and lectures. Her itineraries are much more energetic than those of the coastal ships and they're also to some of the most amazing places on the planet!

Fram carries a maximum of around 225 and works the Arctic and Antarctic in their summers. The expedition team and crew are excellent and work hard to provide interesting landings and lectures. Her itineraries are much more energetic than those of the coastal ships and they're also to some of the most amazing places on the planet!

Sorry - I meant the expedition version of the coastal cruise.

Thanks for the menu reassurance!

• 3 weeks later...

Three years ago right now I was on the Polarlys. Reading this thread brings back memories of the most beautiful scenery I ever imagined seeing, biting cold wind, especially at the North Cape, great and interesting food, the most relaxing atmosphere ever on a boat of any kind, conversations with the Norwegian staff, walking around in ports and so much more including the Northern Lights.

I went with a friend who had already booked and allowed me to tag along as the voyage had been on my bucket list for years. She'd booked through a private tour company which is, therefore, what I did as well. The downside was that we paid more than had we only booked the voyage itself. The upside was that we had private excursions for the 30 of us who were part of the "tour" plus many sessions on board having to do with Norwegian culture, food, education/political/social/governmental systems and geography, too. I would not book with the private company again, but it did add to the experience so am glad that's what we did.

Now, having gone in the winter, I'd like to go at midsummer. Maybe one day.

Edited by ILoveScotland

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When ship is in port for only 30 mins, what do passengers do? Hang out on the decks and watch loading/unloading of cargo. Any comments on food, weather, February, shipboard experiences would be welcomed. It just seems do different to conventional cruising. Thanks in advance for any replies,

Yes, for shorter port times (15-30 minutes) most people stay on board. There are often nice views from the ship. Many people were quite entertained by watching the crew on shore handle the lines, load/unload cargo, and direct cars on/off the ship...in fact at a few ports there there was only one person doing all of this, they got a rousing cheer and clapping from the passengers when we pulled out of port. In many of these ports there is a small shop selling groceries, etc. near the port and some people would walk over to them to pick up water or sodas to take back on the ship.

I found the food surprisingly good. You are not going to have the huge amounts of food found on a traditional ship with 8 or more meals a day, nor free snack bars, but the buffet breakfast and lunch was always varied and plentiful, often with fresh locally sourced foods such as cheeses and fish. Dinner was well done. 3 courses, and I never felt hungry at the end of the meal. Water is not free at meals, just keep that in mind.

I always went to the daily briefing held in one of the bars at the end of the day. It was good to hear about where we were headed the next day, and also get answers for any questions about what we had seen.

I found it invaluable to have the official Hurtigruten guidebook with me, even though it was heavy, as I was able to follow along and identify sights seen from the ship, and get names for things like towns, lighthouses, and other landmarks along the way. It also has a lot of cultural and history information about the areas along the route.

Can't comment on the weather as I went in May, but others here have been in the winter and can do so.

Edited by Splinter

When ship is in port for only 30 mins, what do passengers do? Hang out on the decks and watch loading/unloading of cargo.

Just that! Or take a 14 minute walk away from the ship and then the 14 minute walk back, allowing two minutes for contingencies...

Just that! Or take a 14 minute walk away from the ship and then the 14 minute walk back, allowing two minutes for contingencies...

As usual, I agree with digital! When we had only a short time in port, I would go ashore and there were often families with young children and we would chat. My Norwegian is not great, but all adults speak English and the youngsters loved to shyly practice their English. Fun, short encounters .....but I just noted you will be there in winter...Not sure that would be an option due to cold and dark...but it is always nice to step off the ship briefly and watch the action from the shore.

Edited by janetcbl