Newbie question: inclusion of the "BT" part of LGBT?

Red_Ruby

Hi all

I'm a somewhat experienced cruiser, but new to Cruise Critic - and to this forum.

So I have a newbie question -- I am an "LGBT" individual. But I'm neither a "gay" cruiser nor a "lesbian" one. I identify as "bisexual", as does my girlfriend. Another of my potential travel companions identifies as a transgendered woman.

I'm guessing this is still the right place to discuss my questions, and curiosities, about gender and sexual orientation-related cruise topics.

I have other questions but want to start "in the right place" -- so I'll wait for responses before diving in. :)

-Bee, in Toronto Canada

We've always been lumped in the same category so I'm sure any issue you think you might fact onboard an G or L has already faced. T's might be a little stickier of an issue but again this is probably your safest bet to put your questions out there.

Hi all

I'm a somewhat experienced cruiser, but new to Cruise Critic - and to this forum.

So I have a newbie question -- I am an "LGBT" individual. But I'm neither a "gay" cruiser nor a "lesbian" one. I identify as "bisexual", as does my girlfriend. Another of my potential travel companions identifies as a transgendered woman.

I'm guessing this is still the right place to discuss my questions, and curiosities, about gender and sexual orientation-related cruise topics.

I have other questions but want to start "in the right place" -- so I'll wait for responses before diving in. :)

-Bee, in Toronto Canada

I am sorry for you that you even have to ask this question. You are very welcome and I am sure that many LGB..PT or what ever letter we want to put are happy to answer your questions. WELKOM!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6 met Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been on a few cruises but always as the straight nice girl next door type, from being a teen on aa Epirotki ship, to ahoneymooner, to mother of some mini-travellers. This is my first as "the bi girlfriend"!

We are sailing out of San Juan so need a hotel. I'll search this forum for the most recent discussion of SJ hotels/hostels/B&Bs, and of the general LGBT friendliness of the various ports Sometimes same sex female couples have it easier,since holding hands, hugging and kisses on the cheek(s) are sometimes just a " thing women do", making our orientation less obvious.

On board (Celebrity Summit)/ it will be obvious for anyone paying attention. We willbe acting like any romantic couple/group would. I've heard that mainstream cruises are fairly safe, welcoming spaces. I hope so. I've had a rough time with my extended family lately, socially, so being accepted while on vacation would be very nice!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been on a few cruises but always as the straight nice girl next door type, from being a teen on aa Epirotki ship, to ahoneymooner, to mother of some mini-travellers. This is my first as "the bi girlfriend"!

We are sailing out of San Juan so need a hotel. I'll search this forum for the most recent discussion of SJ hotels/hostels/B&Bs, and of the general LGBT friendliness of the various ports Sometimes same sex female couples have it easier,since holding hands, hugging and kisses on the cheek(s) are sometimes just a " thing women do", making our orientation less obvious.

On board (Celebrity Summit)/ it will be obvious for anyone paying attention. We willbe acting like any romantic couple/group would. I've heard that mainstream cruises are fairly safe, welcoming spaces. I hope so. I've had a rough time with my extended family lately, socially, so being accepted while on vacation would be very nice!

This is a topic that opinion will certainly vary regardless of your sexuality. I understand your desire to express yourself with your partner. It's natural and normal for us all, especially while on vacation. It is however also important to remember the taste level, your surroundings and the local culture. It's a bit arrogant to think that because it's your vacation you have the right to act however your please wherever you go. The caribbean is quite conservative generally regarding GLBT rights. You are a visitor for a very limited number of hours, I would suggest you show respect to the local culture and not go too very overboard or obvious with the PDA. That's just my feeling on the subject.

As far as on the ship, I frankly don't want to see anyone obscenely making out (unless I'm on THAT kind of charter). You have a room, use it. If you want to take an evening stroll up on deck and hold hands sure, enjoy yourself, share a kiss under the stars and a warm embrace but please don't do it in the Atrium bar. No one wants to be part of it outside of the two of you.

Edited by Cruisegoer

Hi all

-Bee, in Toronto Canada

Bee, my wife is bi, I'm all Male, ask away! :D

You will love Summit and should have no problems onboard being romantic, as any other couple would publicly behave. We've sailed on Summit three times and been to the Captain's table all three times, invited to the bridge, once for a special party when one half of a gay couple became a "Zenith" (highest loyalty level) and he was celebrated by all of the shipboard officers. I've never felt anything but warmth onboard Summit.

I'm also happy to answer more questions privately if that would be easier and maybe give you some shipboard contacts if you do encounter any issues. I doubt they would be with any staff, but just as any establishment can't control it's customers, the same is true for cruise ship. If you do have an issue, just report it immediately, and if not satisfied, escalate to the guest relations manager.

Finally, I agree with the more conservative nature of the Caribbean, so just use a little street sense and you should be fine.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You will love Summit and should have no problems onboard being romantic, as any other couple would publicly behave. We've sailed on Summit three times and been to the Captain's table all three times, invited to the bridge, once for a special party when one half of a gay couple became a "Zenith" (highest loyalty level) and he was celebrated by all of the shipboard officers. I've never felt anything but warmth onboard Summit.

I'm also happy to answer more questions privately if that would be easier and maybe give you some shipboard contacts if you do encounter any issues. I doubt they would be with any staff, but just as any establishment can't control it's customers, the same is true for cruise ship. If you do have an issue, just report it immediately, and if not satisfied, escalate to the guest relations manager.

Finally, I agree with the more conservative nature of the Caribbean, so just use a little street sense and you should be fine.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for your thoughts, Jenna. It's good to hear. I can't think of any other specific questions about the ship or crew, I'll let you know if I do!

In the meantime, yes, I am likely to speak up - I self-identify as a human rights lawyer :) Today, I have been researching legal restrictions for LGBT persons on the islands we're visiting. I had forgotten how deep the homophobia runs in some Caribbean legal regimes and cultures. I also have a hard time wrapping my head around those (not exclusive to the Americas, I know) who allow female same sex activity but ban male same sex activity -- even to the point of very serious legal penalties.

The only possibly questionable place on our itinerary is Dominica. Everywhere else is legally fine (if not socially/culturally) for us as a female same sex couple. We don't intend on having sex on our balcony while in port ;) nor engage in any serious PDA anyway. My concern is more whether it is worth our while to stay in the closet onshore that day (as "friends") or just act ourselves (hold hands, peck on the cheek kind stuff).

Thoughts?

-Barbara

Thanks for your thoughts, Jenna. It's good to hear. I can't think of any other specific questions about the ship or crew, I'll let you know if I do!

In the meantime, yes, I am likely to speak up - I self-identify as a human rights lawyer :) Today, I have been researching legal restrictions for LGBT persons on the islands we're visiting. I had forgotten how deep the homophobia runs in some Caribbean legal regimes and cultures. I also have a hard time wrapping my head around those (not exclusive to the Americas, I know) who allow female same sex activity but ban male same sex activity -- even to the point of very serious legal penalties.

The only possibly questionable place on our itinerary is Dominica. Everywhere else is legally fine (if not socially/culturally) for us as a female same sex couple. We don't intend on having sex on our balcony while in port ;) nor engage in any serious PDA anyway. My concern is more whether it is worth our while to stay in the closet onshore that day (as "friends") or just act ourselves (hold hands, peck on the cheek kind stuff).

Thoughts?

-Barbara

I've been to most if not all of the cruise port islands, and most people, especially in the hospitality / tourist areas are fine, and won't have any issues. Don't tell Dee I said this, but we're occasionally asked if she is my mother. We either answer, "no we're partners" or "no, she is my wife". We sometimes get a bit of surprise, but always sure if it is the age difference or because we're two women. The further you remove yourself from tourist areas, the more likely you could be to encounter an issue. Additionally, just as in the U.S. or Canada levels of acceptance vary. Just look at the embarrassing circus in Kentucky and the violence we still have here. We have long way to go.

As far as your trans traveling companion goes, unfortunately, it may depend on how well she blends and her own comfort level in public, at least when she is off the ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna