Best way to book 1st Steamboat Cruise ?

After many, many cruises on various "mega ships" we are starting to look into one of the Columbia/Snake River Cruises. (1st experience on a Steamboat Cruise !)

For all previous cruises we have used a popular "on-line discount" cruise broker to book our trip.

I know you cannot "name names" - however, can anyone advise recommended best method for booking (receive best deal):

Local TA

American Queen Direct (on-line or via phone ?)

Or ??

Also - really like the idea of a "private veranda" - so looking into Category "B" on the Empress - any comments/suggestions on this ?

Thank You !

The American Queen Company does not low-ball its voyages or do bucket discounting like the volume shops. Think about it: the steamboat has a relatively small capacity compared to jumbo ocean liners. However, the company does publish discounts on specific voyages as the season progresses. Snag one of these when it pops up. Discounts aside, steamboating is a travel culture in the grand old style. Why would you expect a low-ball?? Don't deny yourself this luxury.

Search the web and get quotes from different TAs, especially ones that specialize in American river cruising.

There are also websites that take your info (ie, what cruise, date, stateroom category) regarding what you want and then send it out to numerous TAs for quotes/bids - we've gotten some very good quotes using this since all the TAs know you are getting quotes from others. Search for compete and cruise.

We are on the American Queen next month (St Louis-Nashville) and booked through a TA. We received $100 past passenger discount (which would not apply if you're not a past passenger), an OBC of $200pp and $300 discount for paying in full (we booked this cruise last year). We booked category D.

So there are perks if you check around.

PS: I just saw the American Empress yesterday docked at the pier in Vancouver, WA. It docks here every two weeks.

This is tough to answer on Cruise Critic due to the restrictions. However, in general, I think one does better with a knowledgeable agent rather than direct with the cruise line; recall the several reports from folks who received rude or unreliable service from the main office.

The trick is in finding a "knowledgeable" agent. I was fortunate; I met mine on board in 2012, She is actually responsible for many of the themed voyages, special lectures and presentations, etc., as well as being a travel agent. I just returned from the "Mark Twain" themed AQ cruise where she was responsible for booking the curator of the Mark Twain museum in Hannibal and the director of the Mark Twain museum in Hartford, CT as lecturers, as well as sponsoring a group of about 30.

Few financial incentives except a small discount for group cruises. This is the sort of agent you'd like, but the only way I know to discover her is to cruise on AQ when she's aboard, and run into her like I did,

AQ are offering some discounts for early booking just sign up for their emails or view promotions online

I wish I could remember the lady I booked with at AQ she was so nice no question was too much trouble for her & we did get a $100 OBC for 1st timers

http://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/promotions/2016-early-booking-discount/#2016-early-booking-discount

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure I have experienced the problem in the lido. We were on the oosterdam in july. There were plenty of available seats for breakfast and lunch. Did not remember one time where we spent more than a minute looking for a table. There were enough tables that a few taken by card players would not be a problem

I am not sure I have experienced the problem in the lido. We were on the oosterdam in july. There were plenty of available seats for breakfast and lunch. Did not remember one time where we spent more than a minute looking for a table. There were enough tables that a few taken by card players would not be a problem

If you manage to find this post again, you'll probably realize you posted on the wrong forum. This is not Holland America.