5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

Love those balconies!! Added a last minute traveler to my first cruise and got upgraded to a back-of-the-ship balcony. The following year cruised as a chaperone on a high school trip - and got stuck with an inside cabin. In my opinion, it's always worth the cost of the balcony upgrade. There is only one way to sit on the balcony with your feet up, in the middle of the ocean, in the middle of the caribbean, at 1:00 in the morning. Being there but having an inside cabin just doesn't measure up!!

Napalady- Very nice post! I have written what you said many times and on my other threads on balconies ( "Thanks, cruise ship balcony, a commentary"..) several of the ICB's ( inside cabin bullies) tried bashing me for being a "balcony snob", but some of these people don't understand that this was a BALCONY THREAD- notice that NO ONE starts a "how great an inside cabin is " thread, right?.I ,too, love being out there late at night, especially when the moon light is out shining on the white cap waves...Thanks again!!

Big Al

question in regards to balconies are they able to lock them during the night ?? i was able to go out in the middle of the night a few times but one night i could not not sure if i was just that tired i could not open the door or if the wind stopped it from moving somehow i had the first cabin deck 10 on the golden just had me thinking or i also could have done what i did first night not locked it myself and when i went to open later on i locked it ?? woke up and found it was unlocked but had not opened during the night

Hawka- The cruise line does not ever shut the balcony doors, but I have had instances when the door knob or handle gets stuck & it seems like the door won't open, but it is usually the person who is trying, not the ship..also, some balconies have safety "clips" or notches to open/ lock the doors, so check those as well...

Big Al

Hawka- The cruise line does not ever shut the balcony doors, but I have had instances when the door knob or handle gets stuck & it seems like the door won't open, but it is usually the person who is trying, not the ship..also, some balconies have safety "clips" or notches to open/ lock the doors, so check those as well...

Big Al

Cool sounds like it was me lol

Great postings and interesting reading. Our first cruise was a 7 day Southern Caribbean, from San Juan, PR in Nov 2012. It was kind of a last minute decision as my DH gets seasick even on a short ferry and every time I mentioned a cruise he had every excuse for not going on one. So a balcony cabin was the only way I could get him to embark a ship. He still doesn't like cruising but will humor me if I choose great ports. I love cruising and I wanted to become 'elite' as soon as I can. So my strategy is...when he is traveling with me a balcony is the minimum, because 'happy husband, happy travel life'. But that Platinum and elite levels would be too difficult to achieve and would take 8 to 15 cruises and at 1 cruise a year and the work involved in convincing DH to give up golf and cruise instead is draining, and takes forever. So I cruise 'solo' in an inside cabin, because the solo price is normally 200% of the cabin price. I'm ok with that, because traveling solo gives me the cabin all-to-myself, and I get twice the points at the cheapest price. I am currently Platinum and with 3 more solo cruises I will be Elite. That's when I get my DH back on a cruise ship so that he can enjoy all the perks of sharing a cabin with an elite. Having said all this, he has said ok to a Baltic cruise this summer....and with the European ports, a balcony is must, regardless of cost. I do love traveling in a balcony cabin if I have my DH to share the experience, sit and watch/listen to the waves, leaving the door ajar to listen to the waves even at 2am, feel the beautiful fresh breeze coming into the room, seeing the views as we pull up to the various ports (in our bathrobes), even see how the tug and pilot boats maneuver. On my first cruise, it opened a whole new world to me! Thank you balcony.

Great postings and interesting reading. Our first cruise was a 7 day Southern Caribbean, from San Juan, PR in Nov 2012. It was kind of a last minute decision as my DH gets seasick even on a short ferry and every time I mentioned a cruise he had every excuse for not going on one. So a balcony cabin was the only way I could get him to embark a ship. He still doesn't like cruising but will humor me if I choose great ports. I love cruising and I wanted to become 'elite' as soon as I can. So my strategy is...when he is traveling with me a balcony is the minimum, because 'happy husband, happy travel life'. But that Platinum and elite levels would be too difficult to achieve and would take 8 to 15 cruises and at 1 cruise a year and the work involved in convincing DH to give up golf and cruise instead is draining, and takes forever. So I cruise 'solo' in an inside cabin, because the solo price is normally 200% of the cabin price. I'm ok with that, because traveling solo gives me the cabin all-to-myself, and I get twice the points at the cheapest price. I am currently Platinum and with 3 more solo cruises I will be Elite. That's when I get my DH back on a cruise ship so that he can enjoy all the perks of sharing a cabin with an elite. Having said all this, he has said ok to a Baltic cruise this summer....and with the European ports, a balcony is must, regardless of cost. I do love traveling in a balcony cabin if I have my DH to share the experience, sit and watch/listen to the waves, leaving the door ajar to listen to the waves even at 2am, feel the beautiful fresh breeze coming into the room, seeing the views as we pull up to the various ports (in our bathrobes), even see how the tug and pilot boats maneuver. On my first cruise, it opened a whole new world to me! Thank you balcony.

Great post!!! FYI- Some of the new ships ( RCI Quantum class, NCL Breakaway class, Breakaway Plus & Epic) have SOLO cabins & you don't have to pay 150-200% more...you should consider that next time cruising solo...no doubt about it, as I have said over & over- a balcony gives you a COMPLETELY different view of cruising than an inside cabin, and you are one of those who have experienced both ( as I )...you are welcome cruise ship balcony mytravellove!!

Big Al

So first cruise was a balcony which is definitely necessary if you have more than two people. My upcoming in December is an inside on ovation with the virtual balconies. That was mainly due to cost as at the time there was a big price difference like twice as much for trip. I'm hoping the virtual balcony lives up to the reviews as honestly I would have preferred a balcony. But hey I'll let you know after if it was worth it...

So first cruise was a balcony which is definitely necessary if you have more than two people. My upcoming in December is an inside on ovation with the virtual balconies. That was mainly due to cost as at the time there was a big price difference like twice as much for trip. I'm hoping the virtual balcony lives up to the reviews as honestly I would have preferred a balcony. But hey I'll let you know after if it was worth it...

You do what you can or must..I simply won't cruise if I can't afford a balcony..and BTW, no matter what the reviews say about virtual balconies, you still can't FEEL the wind, salt air, sunshine, moonlit skies ( like last night) , seeing those white caps, cruise ships going by, etc...again, that CONNECTION to the sea & nature is special...have a great cruise and I will be looking forward to your impressions of both the Ovation & the virtual balcony!!

Big Al

We're poor 20 somethings that have worked super hard to take a nice vacation before we have another baby. So we booked an inside because we knew that we would just sleep in our cabin, we weren't sad. But we got an amazing deal for a upsell to a balcony, it was a steal and we just couldn't pass it up! We know that of course we will spend more time in our cabin ! I think that I would be really sad not to have a balcony again, but I'd rather be up on deck with a sex on the beach and a nice breeze. I truly believe that your vacation is what you make it :)

We're poor 20 somethings that have worked super hard to take a nice vacation before we have another baby. So we booked an inside because we knew that we would just sleep in our cabin, we weren't sad. But we got an amazing deal for a upsell to a balcony, it was a steal and we just couldn't pass it up! We know that of course we will spend more time in our cabin ! I think that I would be really sad not to have a balcony again, but I'd rather be up on deck with a sex on the beach and a nice breeze. I truly believe that your vacation is what you make it :)

Congrats on getting the upsell! And I disagree with you about being up on the pool deck sipping a drink- I ( and most others I have spoken to) would rather be on my private balcony with no loud music, and no hundreds ( sometimes thousands) of loud people, gazing at the wonders of the sea and feeling the tropical breezes without noise from others...and yes, we LOVE spending some down time relaxing in our cabin on the balcony...we would NEVER do that in an inside cabin..I hated that - tried to avoid going back there at all costs...if you search & go at off peak times, you can almost find a decent balcony on a decent ship 90% of the time..it just takes patience & flexibility...what ship are you going on?

Big Al

Congrats on getting the upsell! And I disagree with you about being up on the pool deck sipping a drink- I ( and most others I have spoken to) would rather be on my private balcony with no loud music, and no hundreds ( sometimes thousands) of loud people, gazing at the wonders of the sea and feeling the tropical breezes without noise from others...and yes, we LOVE spending some down time relaxing in our cabin on the balcony...we would NEVER do that in an inside cabin..I hated that - tried to avoid going back there at all costs...if you search & go at off peak times, you can almost find a decent balcony on a decent ship 90% of the time..it just takes patience & flexibility...what ship are you going on?

Big Al

We on the Ruby Princess to Mexico on the 2/7! Its getting so close! I should say that after we have this balcony I will want to retract my statement on not minding being on deck with a drink. Well, I will still want the drink just not with everyone and their grandma

Edited by mrswallace2012
had more thoughts

We on the Ruby Princess to Mexico on the 2/7! Its getting so close! I should say that after we have this balcony I will want to retract my statement on not minding being on deck with a drink. Well, I will still want the drink just not with everyone and their grandma

Ruby Princess is very nice...for a special night, try the Crown Grill for dinner..$25 pp ALL you can eat & great steaks & lobster tails..love the Wheelhouse Bar also...a GREAT time to have a drink is when the ship sails from the port at like 5 pm..also, don't forget to have breakfast on the balcony on a SEA DAY, not in port...order the night before in your cabin & leave order form on your door handle..have the waiter bring the food outside & give him/ her $5 tip IN CASH...great experience! Have a great time & have a Sex On The Beach for Big Al!!

Big Al

Ruby Princess is very nice...for a special night, try the Crown Grill for dinner..$25 pp ALL you can eat & great steaks & lobster tails..love the Wheelhouse Bar also...a GREAT time to have a drink is when the ship sails from the port at like 5 pm..also, don't forget to have breakfast on the balcony on a SEA DAY, not in port...order the night before in your cabin & leave order form on your door handle..have the waiter bring the food outside & give him/ her $5 tip IN CASH...great experience! Have a great time & have a Sex On The Beach for Big Al!!

Big Al

Thank you so much!!!

Cheers !!

Thank you so much!!!

Cheers !!

You are welcome! FYI- You must make a reservation for the Crown Grill when you get on board..go to deck 7 & do it there...also, make sure you don't go on LOBSTER TAILS night in the MDR..if you like lobster, you don't want to book a specialty venue on the night they are serving tails in the dining room, so ASK the maitre D at the Crown Grill what night might be lobster tails night & book it from there...have a great cruise!!

Big Al

• 1 month later...
Hi, I am pleased to see so many positive comments about a balcony cabin. It has made me feel better about paying the extra! I'm intreagued though, what is a hump cabin and should I be getting one??

good question now i am intrigued

Hi, I am pleased to see so many positive comments about a balcony cabin. It has made me feel better about paying the extra! I'm intreagued though, what is a hump cabin and should I be getting one??

good question now i am intrigued

A "Hump" cabin is a cabin that sort of "sticks out" from the others on a deck..you can see these easily on RCI's Quantum, Oasis, Freedom & Voyager class ships..also Celebrity Solstice class, Royal & Regal Princess, NCL Getaway, Escape, etc....they offer a slightly better & unobstructed view of the aft & bow because the balconies are sticking out a bit- I LOVE them & try & get them whenever possible...any specific cruise ship cabin questions, let me know & congratulations on your 1st ( I think) balcony! Don't forget to either print out my suggestions , or write them down....

Big Al

A "Hump" cabin is a cabin that sort of "sticks out" from the others on a deck..you can see these easily on RCI's Quantum, Oasis, Freedom & Voyager class ships..also Celebrity Solstice class, Royal & Regal Princess, NCL Getaway, Escape, etc....they offer a slightly better & unobstructed view of the aft & bow because the balconies are sticking out a bit- I LOVE them & try & get them whenever possible...any specific cruise ship cabin questions, let me know & congratulations on your 1st ( I think) balcony! Don't forget to either print out my suggestions , or write them down....

Big Al

Thank you for your your response. I have booked on the Thomson Discovery (previously the Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas)

I have chosen a balcony cabin, but not picked a particular cabin number yet - any advice gratefully received!!

Thank you for your your response. I have booked on the Thomson Discovery (previously the Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas)

I have chosen a balcony cabin, but not picked a particular cabin number yet - any advice gratefully received!!

If you have purchased a "regular" balcony, I would go with a cabin on Deck 7..there are cabins above & below, which is what you want- deck 8 has the pool deck above & that can be noisy..deck 6 has the main deck below, which also can be noisy..there are NO hump cabins on this ship, sorry...hope this helps...try & stay center of the ship- less motion...

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

We have done two cruises. 14 days on Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona and 10 days on Holland America Veendam to Canada. We were given a guaranteed balcony on the Equinox and selected an Ocean View on the Veendam. Both cruises were superb.

We both agreed, although the balcony was nice, that we rarely utilized it except when entering ports. The Ocean View we found was somewhat quieter and we really did not miss the balcony. The difference in price between an Ocean View and a Balcony is sometimes considerable. At times it's double the price of an Ocean View. With the money saved we can go to specialty restaurants, have a few drinks we would not normally spend for, and not have to worry on excursions.

That being said, most of the cabins on ships are balconies for an obvious reason. They are the most popular and that's why they build ships with more of them. However, I wonder how many people book balconies and actually don't like them for one reason or another. I know that. on some ships, you can smoke on balconies. Also, late night parties sometimes filter onto balconies and is annoying.

So, we are planning a transatlantic this April and will be booking an Ocean View once again. Looking to get the forward looking OV on the bow. MY understanding is that they have pretty large windows. ;)

First, cruises are great! Our first few cruises were w/RC, however the last few have been w/NCL. My daughter & her family now enjoy cruising but prefer the free style dinning. Getting back to choice of balcony or interior, balcony. I enjoy the freedom of looking at the ocean, reading a book, watching ships go past, not to mention arriving into port. We're leaving for the Western Carribean, 27 Mar-3Apr out of Tampa. Unfortunately we are on deck 11 & my daughter is on 9. Unfortunate, because we normally have them side by side. My sister is traveling w/us, so we opted for a min-suite, w/a larger balcony. Regardless, I think you'll enjoy the balcony.

Enjoy Your Trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky. My first cruise wad to Alaska, and everyone else in my party was experienced cruisers who swore by insides and insisted that rooms are only for sleeping anyways. But I'd heard that balconies are especially nice for Alaska and other scenic cruises and, thinking I might never cruise again, I splurged for the only balcony in our group. And that was lucky because I'm certain that if I'd had an inside that would have been my first last and only cruise.

I love making little fruit and cheese plates from the buffet and having them with wine on the balcony at night. I love having the ocean be the first thing I see in the morning. I love being able to have that first cup of coffee without getting dressed and going up on deck. And I loved being able to see the glaciers without fighting for a spot at the rail!

If you have a larger family, you can get one balcony and then the inside across the hall if you want some access.

I would rather go every other year with a balcony than every year without because to me, the balcony and "private ocean" is a big part of the cruise. It's like asking me if I'd rather go to the California coast or shopping in Chicago - they are two entirely different trips to me, not different versions of the same trip.

We have done two cruises. 14 days on Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona and 10 days on Holland America Veendam to Canada. We were given a guaranteed balcony on the Equinox and selected an Ocean View on the Veendam. Both cruises were superb.

We both agreed, although the balcony was nice, that we rarely utilized it except when entering ports. The Ocean View we found was somewhat quieter and we really did not miss the balcony. The difference in price between an Ocean View and a Balcony is sometimes considerable. At times it's double the price of an Ocean View. With the money saved we can go to specialty restaurants, have a few drinks we would not normally spend for, and not have to worry on excursions.

That being said, most of the cabins on ships are balconies for an obvious reason. They are the most popular and that's why they build ships with more of them. However, I wonder how many people book balconies and actually don't like them for one reason or another. I know that. on some ships, you can smoke on balconies. Also, late night parties sometimes filter onto balconies and is annoying.

So, we are planning a transatlantic this April and will be booking an Ocean View once again. Looking to get the forward looking OV on the bow. MY understanding is that they have pretty large windows. ;)

What didn't you use it 4-5x every day?? That is YOUR fault, not the balcony's...you should be out there: 1) first thing when you get up...2) Every time you came back to your cabin...3) At Sunset ( amazing)..4) when you get back from an island or excursion..5) at night before bed & check out how serene the sea can be with the moonlight & seeing the white caps...

Not to mention just chillin' out there admiring the wonders of the sea relaxing...and BTW, few don't like their balconies, a recent survey said that 92% would book a balcony again...again, WHERE you book the balcony is also important- never book near or under the pool area..music & dancing are often played up there and can be heard..also choose a cruise line where there is no smoking even on balconies if that bothers you so much...

First, cruises are great! Our first few cruises were w/RC, however the last few have been w/NCL. My daughter & her family now enjoy cruising but prefer the free style dinning. Getting back to choice of balcony or interior, balcony. I enjoy the freedom of looking at the ocean, reading a book, watching ships go past, not to mention arriving into port. We're leaving for the Western Carribean, 27 Mar-3Apr out of Tampa. Unfortunately we are on deck 11 & my daughter is on 9. Unfortunate, because we normally have them side by side. My sister is traveling w/us, so we opted for a min-suite, w/a larger balcony. Regardless, I think you'll enjoy the balcony.

Enjoy Your Trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well said..I love what you said about the "freedom of looking at the ocean, reading a book, watching ships go past ( LOVE that!!), and arriving in port"...thanks for your imput!!

Big Al