5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

Being in my rookie state, what is a "hump cabin"?

Good question!! A "hump" cabin is a cabin that "sticks out" a bit over the others..if you look at the newer ships today, you will notice the lines on each deck are not straight across..some "stick out" over the sea just a bit- kinda like a "bump" or "hump"..these are VERY desirable because the views are unobstructed since you are a little further out over the sea.. always try & get one of those, as well as "aft corner" balconies- these are in the back, often with wrap around balconies and are usually spectacular for views....hope this helps...

Big Al

• 1 month later...
I'm not big on obstructed views, sorry..I feel if you are going to get a balcony, get a balcony..I had an obstructed view once, and it just was soooo frustrating NOT to be able to see the whole sea & view...never again...BUT, if that's the only way you will get a balcony, then do it- but you won't get that "real" balcony experience IMO...it is your vacation...do it in style, if you can, don't worry so much about the $$, it's not that big a difference, usually..

Big Al

Our obstructed view on the Brilliance did not obscure anything at all. We were above the lifeboats. We saw beautiful sunsets, sunrises, sat outside in the early hours while we slowly cruised into our target ports. Nothing was marred.. My only regrets as not being able to afford a bigger cabin, as being a group of three females, we needed more space than we had lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably asking the wrong folks (enablers!) but DH told me today that I could switch to a balcony cabin on our Carnival Liberty sailing 12/17/16 if I really wanted to. I'm struggling to pull the trigger since it's an additional $370, bringing our 6 day Western Caribbean sailing to $2450 including taxes and tips. We only booked last week so I expect that we aren't getting a fantastic deal. However, this would move us from an OV on deck 2 to a balcony on the Lido, deck 9. Worth it?

This is our first cruise, 5 years after we cancelled a planned family cruise because of serious pregnancy complications. That baby is now 5 and we are finally getting away without our 3 kids for the first time, other than a few long weekends.

I'm probably asking the wrong folks (enablers!) but DH told me today that I could switch to a balcony cabin on our Carnival Liberty sailing 12/17/16 if I really wanted to. I'm struggling to pull the trigger since it's an additional $370, bringing our 6 day Western Caribbean sailing to $2450 including taxes and tips. We only booked last week so I expect that we aren't getting a fantastic deal. However, this would move us from an OV on deck 2 to a balcony on the Lido, deck 9. Worth it?

This is our first cruise, 5 years after we cancelled a planned family cruise because of serious pregnancy complications. That baby is now 5 and we are finally getting away without our 3 kids for the first time, other than a few long weekends.

If you break it down, $370 divided by 2 people is $53 a day or $26.50 pp..I think if it's a vacation you really are looking forward to, then do it. I have cruised in all catagories ...$2450 near Xmas is not bad...plus you have a much better view on deck 9.....I would do it...

Big Al

If you break it down, $370 divided by 2 people is $53 a day or $26.50 pp..I think if it's a vacation you really are looking forward to, then do it. I have cruised in all catagories ...$2450 near Xmas is not bad...plus you have a much better view on deck 9.....I would do it...

Big Al

The way I look at it, is that the $370 extra would pay for tips and few bottles of wine at dinner. We do 3-4 cruises a year and that adds up. I started getting balconies years back, and now only get obstructed oceanviews on Celebrity to get perks , or inside cabins on other lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our first two cruises were in OV, the first one having a port hole on deck 2. The third was a balcony and it was everything I could have wanted.

* Coffee on the balcony in the morning

* Unobstructed views

* Wine in the evening, with my feet up

* Stayed in our stateroom while the ship was in port, watched the people, other ships, and enjoyed room service on the balcony

Alas, Majesty does not offer balcony staterooms, so we have a Superior Ocean View, and I'm checking every few days for the JS to come down, there are still 15 available!

Well Big Al...as you said...it's just your opinion. We've done every cabin category and love every one of them, however, MY OPINION that people can also bash is that your 5 reasons to have a balcony are very weak reasons. There are more reasons not to get a balcony that have validity versus weak reasons you mentioned that are more personal preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

my first time here, The two fo us are planning a May Alaskan cruise and I just read you can pick a cabin ? never heard of that, we know we want a balcony but other than that I'm not sure how to go about picking, Maybe a travel agent is the way to go, but which one will have any experience with picking a cabin.

Glad to be part of the group :)

can you pick which side of the ship when you book ?

We just came back from our third Alaska cruise in August. It's an awesome experience that we never get bored with.

Yes, you can pick your stateroom and also pick the location on the ship you prefer as long as it's available. The best way to do choose is look at the deck plans of the ship you want to sail on.

Make sure you pick a stateroom that located on a deck that has a deck of staterooms above and below it. If you pick a cabin that is located below a deck that contains a buffet, swimming pool, or gym, you will hear the noise in your cabin.

My wife has made all the arrangements herself all through the cruise lines website several times, and a few times we have used our travel agent.

If you have already picked a ship and cruise line, you can also post your questions on the board for that particular cruise line. Most people are very helpful.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Yes, you can pick your stateroom and also the location you prefer. The best way to do this is look at the deck plans of the ship you want to sail on. Make sure you pick a stateroom that located on a deck that has a deck of staterooms above and below it. If you pick a cabin that is located below a deck that contains a buffet, swimming pool, or gym, you will hear the noise in your cabin.

My wife has made all the arrangements herself all through the cruise lines website several times, and a few times we have used our travel agent.

good to know, thanks for the info

Woof, as others have said, look at the deck plans for the ship you are planning to cruise on. I know RCL and Norwegian both have deck plans of their ships on their website, and I would be very surprised if the other lines don't. First look at the stateroom types (and prices, if price is an issue as it is for most of us). Decide what type you want and what type(s) you can live with. Then look at the deck plans and see where those types of room are located. You will have to learn to read the legend to tell which little box on the deck plan is what class of room. Also pay attention to other items in the legend key, such as indicating how many people can sleep in that room (if you are thinking about bringing along other family members) and whether a room is accessible or not (please don't take an accessible room unless you need it, so someone who does need one can get it). Also note where the elevators are and think about whether you need to be close to elevators/kids club/whatever. For instance, I'm disabled but I will have a scooter, so closeness to elevators isn't an issue for me. Only you and your travel mate(s) can decide what room features matter to you and what don't. Take your time studying the deck plans and look at the room photos. Check YouTube to see if anyone has posted a video of the room(s) you are considering on your ship or ships of the same class (which will be laid out the same). You may be surprised by differences between rooms that show up on the deck plan. For instance, getting ready to book our first cruise, I noticed that there were 4 accessible cabins right in a row, but 2 of them had significantly larger balconies than the other 2 in the same class. I noted the room numbers of the larger ones and was able to reserve one for us. I write down the room numbers I want, in my preferred order, so when I get through to the cruise line, if my first choice isn't available, I have others to check that I would be happy with as well. I book with the cruise line directly to make sure I get the room I want - there are many good travel agents out there but there are also a lot who don't care about you once they have booked you on something so they get their commission. If you have time, ask on the fora here about the ship and rooms you are considering - there are a LOT of cruisers here and you can get valuable information that will really help you get the most from your trip.

Not bashing anyone's choice, but my only cruise experience was a balcony stateroom on an Eastern Caribbean cruise, and frankly, it was wasted. It was too hot for me to sit on the balcony for more than a few minutes, and I never tried to eat a meal out there. I loved the big glass wall but didn't even use that enough to justify (for us) the extra expense. I decided the next cruise I would just go for an oceanview.

Next cruise turned out to be Alaska, and when I discovered we could bring our kids along for a minimal extra charge, plans changed. I need an accessible cabin anyway, and knowing that we would be cramming 4 people into whatever I bought, I splurged on an aft balcony mini-suite, both for the extra room and for being able to watch the spectacular Alaska scenery from the comfort of my room. My BIL and SIL have an inside cabin around the corner, but I expect (and will welcome) them hanging in our room as well to enjoy the view.

I still think an OV would be the best choice for just me and DH - but not for this upcoming cruise.

Bottom line, that hopefully everyone can agree with: different strokes for different folks ;)

• 1 month later...

Big Al - thank you for all the great comments about balconies. My first cruise was a corner aft and I feel spoiled. Taking my second cruise soon with my sister who has never cruised. Currently booked on Navigator in a balcony cabin side aft (could not get full aft) 7378. Thought since I loved aft the first time I should try to go as far back in the ship as possible. There is a room on the "hump" available right in the middle, but near elevators/stairs? Which is better? Is the noise level worse near the elevators and stairs? Thank for any insight!

Big Al - thank you for all the great comments about balconies. My first cruise was a corner aft and I feel spoiled. Taking my second cruise soon with my sister who has never cruised. Currently booked on Navigator in a balcony cabin side aft (could not get full aft) 7378. Thought since I loved aft the first time I should try to go as far back in the ship as possible. There is a room on the "hump" available right in the middle, but near elevators/stairs? Which is better? Is the noise level worse near the elevators and stairs? Thank for any insight!

Hump cabins are great..I've stayed in one on the Navigator and loved it..no noise coming from the elevator ..sometimes drunks can be noisy around the elevators, but in 34 cruises, I have had few problems..if you can book the hump cabin, go for it!!

Big Al

I'm not Big AL, but I can say from past experience in hump staterooms, that we have only had a problem once being near the elevator. Some kids kept ringing our door buzzer. I caught them at it and put a stop to it. Otherwise it's a good location.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I'm spoiled - even when I can't afford to be - I still pay more for that luxury.

The only way I would ever do anything less than balcony would be a cruise of 8 nights or less that has a port of call every day so I could get off and walk around.

We are taking a Southern Caribbean in 2018 that spends over 2 days at sea before we pull into Aruba, then after the last port of call, it's over 2 days back to Miami. You better believe we got a balcony, and further, we are splurging on a Royal Suite, because we are spending more than half of the cruise at sea. I am going to enjoy that balcony and the comfort of a living room and balcony hot tub. Now...if I could only get used to the idea of having a butler and that butler unpacking and packing my clothing and delicates.....

Too new to cruising to understand all the "lingo". What is a hump stateroom?

A "hump" cabin is one that "sticks out" over the side a bit..if you look at a picture of the RCI Oasis, Allure, or Harmony of The Seas, or the MSC Divina, you will notice some cabins seem to stick out more than others..these are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..the advantage is that the view is better ( unobstructed both ways) , and often the square footage is a little bigger, which everybody wants...hope this helps...

Big Al

I'm spoiled - even when I can't afford to be - I still pay more for that luxury.

The only way I would ever do anything less than balcony would be a cruise of 8 nights or less that has a port of call every day so I could get off and walk around.

We are taking a Southern Caribbean in 2018 that spends over 2 days at sea before we pull into Aruba, then after the last port of call, it's over 2 days back to Miami. You better believe we got a balcony, and further, we are splurging on a Royal Suite, because we are spending more than half of the cruise at sea. I am going to enjoy that balcony and the comfort of a living room and balcony hot tub. Now...if I could only get used to the idea of having a butler and that butler unpacking and packing my clothing and delicates.....

Good for you! As I mentioned a few times earlier in this post, if we can't afford a balcony, we don't cruise, OR we find a way...I'm not spending my vacation in a cabin where I cannot see & feel the sea..wow, a balcony hot tub! And we had a butler on Princess when we got upgraded to a mini-suite in 2000 ( before 9/11 and after that they stopped the butler stuff due to security..)..she was from Liverpool, England..name was Linda, and she brought us appetizers every day & booked our excursions over the phone..and YES, I got used to her in about 30 seconds, lol... That balcony hot tub is soooo cool! Enjoy!!

Big Al

First cruise...porthole (only discovered on day 3 when I finally pulled back the curtain on the wall and found it wasn't just for decoration! LOL)

What is a 'hump' cabin?

Thanks,

Mooph

whoops. just saw someone answer this above.

Edited by mooph

What is a 'hump' cabin?

Thanks,

Mooph

whoops. just saw someone answer this above.

Correct... A "hump" cabin is one that "sticks out" over the side a bit..if you look at a picture of the RCI Oasis, Allure, or Harmony of The Seas, or the MSC Divina, you will notice some cabins seem to stick out more than others..these are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..the advantage is that the view is better ( unobstructed both ways) , and often the square footage is a little bigger, which everybody wants...hope this helps...