B2B and Extra Gratuities

colliercruiser

We have a cruise coming up in November, I will remember to ask our steward how many cabins he is responsible for. Now you've piqued my interest. :)

There are many differences between a maid at a Marriott and a cruise cabin attendant. Just off the top of my head: 24 cabins, cleaned twice a day, getting the correct informational papers, invitations, disembarkation information to the right people, filling my ice bucket twice a day, remembering how many towels I want, taking my bags of laundry to the laundry, putting my cleaned laundry back into my closet, greeting me at the start of the cruise and asking for my requests, and more. A maid in a Marriott is mostly cleaning vacated rooms but cabin stewards have cabins filled with clothing, food, electronics, people (popping in and out), etc. to work around...can't be easy.

There are many differences between a maid at a Marriott and a cruise cabin attendant. Just off the top of my head: 24 cabins, cleaned twice a day, getting the correct informational papers, invitations, disembarkation information to the right people, filling my ice bucket twice a day, remembering how many towels I want, taking my bags of laundry to the laundry, putting my cleaned laundry back into my closet, greeting me at the start of the cruise and asking for my requests, and more. A maid in a Marriott is mostly cleaning vacated rooms but cabin stewards have cabins filled with clothing, food, electronics, people (popping in and out), etc. to work around...can't be easy.

"stay over rooms" are a housekeeper's dream. They take no more than 10 minutes to clean. Marriott housekeepers clean a lot of stay over rooms during the week, Fridays and Sundays have a far larger percent of vacant rooms, but most people tend to stay 3 nights on average. At my properties, on a Wednesday and Thursday, we'd have just about 20 checkouts typically in a 183 room hotel. Sunday and Friday, we'd have 160 checkouts. So These days, housekeepers worked a typical 8 hour day, while weekdays they'd only need to do 7 hours or so. This is why I have their weekly hours as only 35, not 40 in my analysis.

Also Marriott housekeepers don't have assistant maids to help them, where cabin stewards do have assistant stewards. Marriott does provide "housemen" to run dirty laundry and restock carts, but they do not assist with guest rooms directly. X staff also have house and porters running these things for them.

Turndown should take no more than 3-5 minutes per room. Pop in, replace used towels, straighten bathroom, sheets down, place the daily, close the curtains, restock the ice (from the bin on the maid cart), move to next cabin.

I've cleaned hundreds of rooms myself, and inspected thousands of rooms, perhaps even into the ten thousands of rooms area.

A cruise cabin is half to 1/3 size of a normal hotel room, so vacuuming is far simpler too, and bathroom is much tinier as well.

Laundry, they stick it in the hall, and a porter gathers them all and take it. Porters also deliver the mail and such (I can confirm this as I once asked for invitations to be delivered, and they called the porter to do so). Cabin steward does place the Celebrity Today at night.

Edited by cle-guy