Buying tickets--one way at a time?

PBNJ620

book two one-ways as these have always been much cheaper than booking one ticket as an "open jaw". Ex. SFO to Rome and return Fort Lauderdale to SFO has always priced out for me much lower as two one-ways.

This is what we will probably do next 5 October 2016. We are flying BOS to Rome-FCO and back from FLL, which brings me to the Important Question for people familiar with DUB & its connections...

Aer Lingus has a flight from BOS arriving Dublin 05:05. Layover is only 1h 25m with the Rome leg departing 06:30.

All thoughts or opinions welcomed. (Princess air quotes are not yet open. We will decide after we get their info.)

Thank you, Steve

Have never flown through DUB (will next August), but all I read about is that it's a fairly easy airport, so would probably risk that connection. Of course, you could always take the 8-hour connection and visit Dublin for a few hours, but that all depends on how you're affected by jetlag.

Also, don't discount Turkish airlines, which are about the same price as Aer Lingus for your dates. The shortest connection is 5.5 hours, but you could always take one of their overnight connections and visit Istanbul.

• 2 weeks later...
I always buy my airfare round trip at the same time. This time, however, the return flight is up (it had been down a week ago but just went up) and the flight to the cruise is great ! I really want certain seats on each, but really want to wait for the return trip to go down a bit.

Have you ever bought one way at a time? OR is it just best to wait and do it all at once? Only reason I am questioning this is that we are flying the weekend after a holiday on a Saturday morning.

Thoughts?

I buy airline tickets like this quite often, if not always. I watched Virgin America for weeks before buying my flight for my cruise on Dec. 7. I noticed the flight from LAX to FLL would go between $179 to $139 and the return flight was consistent at $139. I waited to see if the airfare would go down just a bit more, then one day the LAX to FLL was $139 and the return flight jumped to somewhere around $500 (!!!), so I bought the one way from LAX to FLL a few weeks ago to lock in that price for myself and crossed my fingers in hopes that the return flight would go back to a more reasonable rate. Last week, the return flight went down to $129 and, needless to say, I snatched it up.

I'm going to Houston for a conference in January and have only purchased my return flight because it was $54. Waiting for the flight there to go down from $184. Some friends I'm meeting there got tickets from LAX to HOU for about $75, so I'm hoping that price comes back around again. :-)