What are the MUST things to buy in Grenada

I Love NC

Just emailed you pics..

my email is

lmen 579 @aol.com

I sent them from my cell phone.

Where are you going??

If you need any info please feel free to email me.

Been to most islands and can give you some info or tips.

Stay warm

Cathy

bedsole2011@gmail dot com

Love to see your pics:)

Thanks

Hi Cathy,

Our ports are St. Croix, St. Maarten, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba & Curacao. Only 2 new ports for us....Grenada & Bonaire.

We are trying to stay warm. Last few days hasn't been above freezing. We are having a late winter didn't really get cold till after the new yr.

[Please read my post about bonaire.

We did http://www.roadrunner-bonaire. It was electric cars we drove around the island

Omg....best excursion ever

I can email you with more info

Twizzy tours...

PQUOTE=bettyboop16;48818461]Hi Cathy,

Our ports are St. Croix, St. Maarten, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba & Curacao. Only 2 new ports for us....Grenada & Bonaire.

We are trying to stay warm. Last few days hasn't been above freezing. We are having a late winter didn't really get cold till after the new yr.

Edited by rjrice1

[Please read my post about bonaire.

We did http://www.roadrunner-bonaire. It was electric cars we drove around the island

Omg....best excursion ever

I can email you with more info

Twizzy tours...

PQUOTE=bettyboop16;48818461]Hi Cathy,

I bet that was a lot of fun!!! We have booked a tour with Woodwind for Bonaire.

No were did a southern cruise 11 days.. but have been to St. Maarten many times....

Grenada was the cheapest place I ever saw for spices... including pure chocolate. (got that too. Will be baking a cake this week...lol)

Cathy

Thanks much. We go yearly to St Maarten and know their prices well. I appreciate the info, as I will hit St. Maarten the second week of cruising. I'll for sure get my spices in Grenada. Did you go to the marketplace to get the spices? --- can you get them without taking a tour?

Yes you can get them without a tour....

Also barter with them.. When I told the girls at the farmers market what I paid

they said ok I will take that price. lol

Enjoy your cruise. I am already having withdrawals and only been home 5 days.

Planning another one already. lol

Yes you can get them without a tour....

Also barter with them.. When I told the girls at the farmers market what I paid

they said ok I will take that price. lol

Enjoy your cruise. I am already having withdrawals and only been home 5 days.

Planning another one already. lol

Thanks much... Will be doing a back to back in a couple of weeks. This is basically the only port we have not been to.

So once we get off the pier, do we just ask someone that looks like a "native" or will they be "asking" us if we want to go around, etc.?

It sounds like items here are very inexpensive???

Can you get vanilla here, and would it be good, if you have ever bought it, or just the spices?

As for the chocolate, is it powder, or the kind that you can melt?

When you get off the ship and walk into the town a tad; you will see tons of taxi drivers asking you ... always barter too. We paid less the others. But they all want money ... we did give a tip as well.

As for the chocolate it is solid round balls... the kind you have to melt/grate

Haven't tried it yet. Need to bake a cake with it.. or some nice hot chocolate.

Yes, the items were very inexpensive too...

Cathy

Edited by rjrice1

Rjrice1, when you mention the chocolate in Grenada, is it just the regular chocolate, or do they have "white" chocolate too? The reason I ask, I LOVE white chocolate. :)

Bettyboop, so you will be in Grenada the first part of February? Yes, please I would like to read your findings, etc. there.

Rjrice1, when you mention the chocolate in Grenada, is it just the regular chocolate, or do they have "white" chocolate too? The reason I ask, I LOVE white chocolate. :)

Bettyboop, so you will be in Grenada the first part of February? Yes, please I would like to read your findings, etc. there.

beshears, when do you cruise?

Bettyboop16, we will be in Grenada on Thursday, April 7th. I believe you said you were going soon, so I am looking forward to reading what you have to say.:)

So far, no one has answered my question about "white" chocolate. Do they sell it, or is is just dark chocolate?

Didn't notice any white chocolate or I would of bought some..

Just the dark chocolate

Bettyboop16, we will be in Grenada on Thursday, April 7th. I believe you said you were going soon, so I am looking forward to reading what you have to say.:)

So far, no one has answered my question about "white" chocolate. Do they sell it, or is is just dark chocolate?

Well, I'm back from our cruise.

We booked a tour with JnJ Tours. Stan is the owner & our tour guide for the day. We started with a short city tour...went to Annadale Falls for about 15 mins. then a spice market not far from the falls & a spice demonstration & tasting. We went to the highest point in Grenada...very windy & cold that day. Headed to Grand Etang Lake & then off to the Fort for a short visit....after the Fort we went to Grand Anse Beach. Some folks wanted to return to the ship, so Stan had another driver to take them back. We stayed for 1 1/2 hr. & others stayed till 3pm before they returned to the ship. Stan was always close by.

This was a somewhat fast paced tour, but there is traffic & winding roads...some 1 lane. Stan was great with information on the island, plants, trees, & fruits grown there. He brought some fruit from his yard for us to taste. I don't remember the name, it was a little bitter.

Spice necklaces can be bought for 3/$10.00 & you can buy spices everywhere. I didn't see chocolate, but I wasn't really looking for it. Just ask someone...I found people of Grenada friendly. You will see people of Grenada doing almost anything to make a few bucks, from making music, spices of course, jumping from the falls, & having your picture taken with a local balancing fruit bowls?? on their head...I was impressed, at least they aren't just standing there with their hand out wanting money.

Bettyboop, thanks for getting back with us.

In regard to the JnJ Tours, how long were you gone, and how much was it pp? Was it the same cost whether you stayed at the beach for a while, or had someone take you back to the ship?

If you went to the beach, how long did you stay, and I know you said it was chilly, so perhaps you didn't get into the water? I wonder if the water will be any warmer, or the beach itself the first part of April?

You may, or may not know. I was just wondering if the JnJ Tours would be about the same price as just getting a native/Taxi to take us around for an hour or two?

Bettyboop, thanks for getting back with us.

In regard to the JnJ Tours, how long were you gone, and how much was it pp? Was it the same cost whether you stayed at the beach for a while, or had someone take you back to the ship?

If you went to the beach, how long did you stay, and I know you said it was chilly, so perhaps you didn't get into the water? I wonder if the water will be any warmer, or the beach itself the first part of April?

You may, or may not know. I was just wondering if the JnJ Tours would be about the same price as just getting a native/Taxi to take us around for an hour or two?

Our tour lasted about 3 hrs. plus 1 1/2 hrs. beach time. Stan did ask everyone how long they wanted to stay at the beach. He had 2 vans running that day. When we got to the beach there were people who didn't want to stay, the other tour guide took them back to the ship. Stan took us back to the ship at 1:30pm. He went back to the beach for the other folks who wanted to return at 3pm.

Cost was $50pp included water, soda, beer, rum punch I think. Stan didn't charge extra for beach time. It's a very short drive back to the ship.

It was cold on the mountain & hot at the beach. I didn't get into the water so I don't know about the water temperature. There were plenty of people swimming though. Also saw a couple of nice resorts.

I don't have any idea about the cost of a taxi versus a tour. Things you might want to consider. We had a very knowledgeable tour guide who drove safely. Provided us with cold refreshments & paid for entrance fees to sites we visited.

Hope this is a help to you & just let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you.

Everyone says buy spices but I think they are over priced, particularly in the cruise terminal, and who know how long they have been sitting in the store/on the counter?

Old spices lose their full flavor.

Buy from a place like Williams Sonoma and know what you are getting,

IMO

Everyone says buy spices but I think they are over priced, particularly in the cruise terminal, and who know how long they have been sitting in the store/on the counter?

Old spices lose their full flavor.

Buy from a place like Williams Sonoma and know what you are getting,

IMO

It does depend on the spices you want as they are seasonal but as a local from the 'Spice Island' I strongly recommend going outside the cruise ship terminal, ask a price of any of the shop vendors and ask when they were picked/processed. I buy my spices locally at the supermarket next to the cruise ship terminal and they are always fresh.

We produce cinnamon, cloves, ginger, mace, allspice, orange/citrus peels, wild coffee used by the locals, and especially nutmeg, providing 20% of the world supply. If you are getting nutmeg from your store in the US it may be ours but more likely it is from Indonesia because.... "Most of Grenada’s nutmeg is sold to Europe as its quality and flavour exceeds that of Indonesia. There has been growing concern in the EU over the quality of nutmeg imported from Indonesia and India due to the high levels of contamination with a naturally occurring mycotoxin called Aflatoxin caused by two moulds. As such our products are exempt from REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemical substances)." :cool:

It does depend on the spices you want as they are seasonal but as a local from the 'Spice Island' I strongly recommend going outside the cruise ship terminal, ask a price of any of the shop vendors and ask when they were picked/processed. I buy my spices locally at the supermarket next to the cruise ship terminal and they are always fresh.

We produce cinnamon, cloves, ginger, mace, allspice, orange/citrus peels, wild coffee used by the locals, and especially nutmeg, providing 20% of the world supply. If you are getting nutmeg from your store in the US it may be ours but more likely it is from Indonesia because.... "Most of Grenada’s nutmeg is sold to Europe as its quality and flavour exceeds that of Indonesia. There has been growing concern in the EU over the quality of nutmeg imported from Indonesia and India due to the high levels of contamination with a naturally occurring mycotoxin called Aflatoxin caused by two moulds. As such our products are exempt from REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemical substances)." :cool:

Interesting. Thank you. :)