Wine Package

Agua-azul

I remember reading in the past about wine packages being available but now can't locate anything on the Princess website. If memory serves me, there were/are various packages (platinum, gold, silver,) and you prepaid for a number of bottles at a discount. Is this still being offered? We are sailing on the Star in a couple of months. I've contemplated the AIBP, but have concluded this package really doesn't make sense for me as I would have to start drinking specialty coffees, bottled waters, and soda, all things I've never really purchased in the past, to make the package work in my advantage.

Edited by Agua-azul

The AIBP is not cost-effective for me but I've had them tell me the wine package was unavailable & wanting to sell me the AIBP. :( Thankfully my dining room waiter said the wine package was available & we purchased it.

My experience has been that wine packages are available on cruises longer than 7 days as long as they have sufficient wine inventory.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations but not from bars or room service.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference (no additional tip for the extra cost). For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would like to thank the participants in this thread for their contributions. On a few 14-day cruises I have seen the display table where some of the waiters are signing people up for this bottle program. Maybe it's been my bad, but I could never get an explanation of the program as clear as I now understand from this conversation.

My wife and I have wine with every dinner. When we are on a cruise we will often (at least 50% of the time) order two bottles: a white and a red. Of course, we love the fact that the staff will cork and store the unused portion of our bottles. So, on a 14-day cruise, it would not be at all unusual if we were to order ten bottles of wine.

Using the numbers that were provided above, I did some playing around with a little spreadsheet and convinced myself that I would save money if I used this program. I used the tier that cost $290, had an upper limit on the cost of a "free" bottle of $45 and allowed a maximum of 10 "free" bottles. The plan most rewards the purchase of bottles that cost more than $45. If you ordered ten bottles of wines that each cost more than $45, the dollar savings would be $160. Odering bottles that cost greater than $45 allows you to reach the the "break even" point quicker. If you ordered only $30 wines, you would have to order 10 bottles in order to break even. If you ordered only $50 wines, it looks like you would break even on your seventh bottle..

Very interesting. Thank you.

Using the numbers that were provided above, I did some playing around with a little spreadsheet and convinced myself that I would save money if I used this program. I used the tier that cost $290, had an upper limit on the cost of a "free" bottle of $45 and allowed a maximum of 10 "free" bottles. The plan most rewards the purchase of bottles that cost more than $45. If you ordered ten bottles of wines that each cost more than $45, the dollar savings would be $160. Odering bottles that cost greater than $45 allows you to reach the the "break even" point quicker. If you ordered only $30 wines, you would have to order 10 bottles in order to break even. If you ordered only $50 wines, it looks like you would break even on your seventh bottle..

Very interesting. Thank you.

It works well for us to get the 12 bottle gold wine package which averages $28/bottle for wine costing up to $45. We find wine we want to try in that price range & if a bottle costs a couple of $ more than $45 it's still worthwhile for us.

It's sad that Princess fails to promote their wine packages anywhere on their website. I made a post cruise comment about this situation & they contacted me with an explanation. Since it's not always available (not on 7 day or less cruises & is subject to sufficient inventory) they are not advertising it. :eek: I don't agree with that policy because I know that RCI has figured out a way to even have wine packages on 7 day cruise.

So it's doable & I cannot understand why Princess fails to advertise the wine packages & why they cannot offer it on 7 day cruises...just like RCI. :confused:

If you generally order wines that cost less than $38 (menu price), it is more cost effective to buy a Silver package than a Gold one.

EXAMPLE

The Silver 12 package costs $240, or $276 with the 15% gratuity. That is a cost of $23 per bottle.

The Gold 12 package costs $336, or $386.40 with the 15% gratuity. That is a cost of $32.20 per bottle.

The difference between the Gold and the Silver package is $110.40 total, or $9.20 per bottle. Note that the per bottle difference is the same whether you buy a 7, 10 or 12 bottle package.

The Silver package allows you to buy a wine of up to $29 (menu price) at no additional charge. If you buy a wine that is more than $29, you only pay the difference--no gratuity is charged on the extra amount.

Therefore, for any wine that is less than $38.20 ($29 + $9.20), it is less expensive to use a Silver package and pay the difference.

There are lots of possible variations though. For example, you could buy 6 bottles at $45 and 6 at $31. Even paying the extra $108 (6*$16 + 6*$2), you would still be ahead with the Silver compared to the Gold.

Obviously, each person must consider his/her wine buying pattern to determine whether the Silver or Gold package would work better for him/her. On your next cruise, it might be worthwhile to keep track of what you actually buy and see which of the packages would have been the better deal.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

This I great info! And thanks to the poster who did the math with the $160 savings. We are on a 15 day panama cruise in December and I'm going to sign up for the package.

The OP mentioned a platinum package. Does it really exist? I would imagine it would allow a higher max price per bottle.

TIA

The OP mentioned a platinum package. Does it really exist? I would imagine it would allow a higher max price per bottle.

TIA

I've used the wine package several times (most recently in April) & it's only been silver and gold packages. I rechecked to pamphlet and it only shows silver and gold packages.

Can you take an unfinished bottle from the dining room to your stateroom ? Thanks

Yes...or you can have them store the remaining wine & drink it another day even in a different dining room. It helps them find it better when telling them where you previously dined (including table #) or some passengers posted receiving a "receipt".

You can also get a full bottle (corked or uncorked) to take to your cabin but we drink the wine we bring onboard in our cabin.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Can you take an unfinished bottle from the dining room to your stateroom ? Thanks

Yes, you can. You can also order a bottle 'to go', and take it, unopened, to your room, or to another venue, to drink.

This I great info! And thanks to the poster who did the math with the $160 savings. We are on a 15 day panama cruise in December and I'm going to sign up for the package.

TIA

ALB, enjoy your canal cruise. I am envious.

Please keep un mind that my calculation of a $160 savings is based on two assumptions:

1. The Gold 10 Package
  2. Purchase of 10 bottles all of which are priced on the menu at $45 or more

My observation of the Princess wine list is that the markup on the higher priced wines is much less than the markup on the lower priced wines. For example I know that wines listed on the Princess wine list for about $35 can be found in my local retail stores for $17-18--half of the Princess price. A 2 X retail markup for wines in a restaurant is pretty normal, and I am, pretty much, OK with that. A 3 X markup is used in a lot of restaurants. (Wine in a Las Vegas restaurant is a complete rip-off.) However, the Princess markup on the higher priced wines is never 2 X. As I recall, I ordered a Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon on the Crown last January for $135. This is a wine that at retail usually runs about $100. So, the Princess markup was about 1.35 X for that wine, not 2 X. My point, here, is that I am OK with ordering the pricier wines--i.e., more than $45. For some reason or other I take pleasure in denying Princess the additional profit margin.

:D

If you generally order wines that cost less than $38 (menu price), it is more cost effective to buy a Silver package than a Gold one.

EXAMPLE

The Silver 12 package costs $240, or $276 with the 15% gratuity. That is a cost of $23 per bottle.

The Gold 12 package costs $336, or $386.40 with the 15% gratuity. That is a cost of $32.20 per bottle.

The difference between the Gold and the Silver package is $110.40 total, or $9.20 per bottle. Note that the per bottle difference is the same whether you buy a 7, 10 or 12 bottle package.

The Silver package allows you to buy a wine of up to $29 (menu price) at no additional charge. If you buy a wine that is more than $29, you only pay the difference--no gratuity is charged on the extra amount.

Therefore, for any wine that is less than $38.20 ($29 + $9.20), it is less expensive to use a Silver package and pay the difference.

There are lots of possible variations though. For example, you could buy 6 bottles at $45 and 6 at $31. Even paying the extra $108 (6*$16 + 6*$2), you would still be ahead with the Silver compared to the Gold.

Obviously, each person must consider his/her wine buying pattern to determine whether the Silver or Gold package would work better for him/her. On your next cruise, it might be worthwhile to keep track of what you actually buy and see which of the packages would have been the better deal.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

It's too bad the way gratuity system works - based on price of the bottle. Would be better assessed like a flat corkage fee - or 15% with a cap. It's not as if the waiter does anything different in fetching, opening, and pouring a $20 bottle versus a $6o bottle, but we are expected to tip 3x as much?!?

ALB, enjoy your canal cruise. I am envious.

Please keep un mind that my calculation of a $160 savings is based on two assumptions:

1. The Gold 10 Package
  2. Purchase of 10 bottles all of which are priced on the menu at $45 or more

My observation of the Princess wine list is that the markup on the higher priced wines is much less than the markup on the lower priced wines. For example I know that wines listed on the Princess wine list for about $35 can be found in my local retail stores for $17-18--half of the Princess price. A 2 X retail markup for wines in a restaurant is pretty normal, and I am, pretty much, OK with that. A 3 X markup is used in a lot of restaurants. (Wine in a Las Vegas restaurant is a complete rip-off.) However, the Princess markup on the higher priced wines is never 2 X. As I recall, I ordered a Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon on the Crown last January for $135. This is a wine that at retail usually runs about $100. So, the Princess markup was about 1.35 X for that wine, not 2 X. My point, here, is that I am OK with ordering the pricier wines--i.e., more than $45. For some reason or other I take pleasure in denying Princess the additional profit margin.

:D

The markup is markedly higher on the lower priced stuff because they need a minimum mark-up value per bottle so you really get hosed when Princess is buying a lot of $10 wine and selling it for $30+.

Attached is my detailed analysis of the most current wine list, including all pricing I could find online (I used Total Wine in FLL as my on-shore price basis for anything they carried and then searched elsewhere to find a price range for other labels they don't carry).

The purpose was to compare cost of buying wine ashore and bringing it on board, paying the $15 corkage fee. But it can also help analyze a wine package. (Too bad no packages for 7-night cruises of either 3 or 4 bottles).

But as you will see from the Excel file, it's better to bring your own on if you can.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Spring.xls

The markup is markedly higher on the lower priced stuff because they need a minimum mark-up value per bottle so you really get hosed when Princess is buying a lot of $10 wine and selling it for $30+.

I agree with you 100% on the different pricing strategies, Steelers36. I should add that the Princess strategy is not unlike that of any restaurant.

Thank you for posting the spreadsheet. That is outstanding. When I first cruised on Princess in 2011, they had the Ornelaia for $140--an excellent bargain. I saw last January that it was over $200 as your spreadsheet reflects.

It's sad that their list of whites is not very good. They used to have some Chassagne-Montrachets that my wife just loved. The only white Burgundy on the list, now, are those Macons and Chablis.

We are leaving, tomorrow, on a 7-day California Coastal cruise. We are taking 4 of our own bottles along. I should probably take more.

I'm with you on the reduced markup for the best wines. The prices on the good bottles are very fair.

A few times I've found that they have some good bottles stashed away that are not on the wine list at all. Once I found a a really nice Super Tuscan that according to the Sommelier they boarded for a special customer who didn't drink it all. You might get a blank stare asking about unlisted bottles in the MDR - and if you do, ask again in one of the specialty restaurants. You might be pleasantly surprised!

We are leaving, tomorrow, on a 7-day California Coastal cruise. We are taking 4 of our own bottles along. I should probably take more.

You're welcome (for the spreadsheet). 4 bottles would be plenty for us for a 7-nighter.

I'm not happy either with the selection. IMO, they've really dumbed it down to a bunch a plonk they are peddling for $30 and up (approx).

Edited by steelers36