Food & Booze Budget - 3 days in NOLA

jdemps

We had a great time at the Famous Door bar. Its on Bourbon St. They had really fun house band and a great DJ between sets. We stayed out in the Garden District and took the trolley all over the city. We drove to New Orleans and the hotel we stayed at had free parking, and free parking while we were on our cruise.

We are driving to NO in February for the first time....would you share with me which hotel you stayed at in the Garden District?

We are driving to NO in February for the first time....would you share with me which hotel you stayed at in the Garden District?

In January we stayed at the Prytania Oaks, next month we are staying at their sister hotel, Prytania Park. Its one block St Charles and the trolley. We took a taxi to the pier, I am not sure, but I think it was about $20.

Can you order a hurricane with better rum in it at Pat O's or just the cheap stuff?
This is one of those times where you are better off just ordering it the way it comes. They are sickly sweet and one is enough. I always say to order the hurricane at Pat O's as a novelty, not because it is such a yummy drink.

We have a Jazz Brunch ressies for the Court of Two Sisters, has anyone been there?
I personally really like Court of Two Sisters and if you have limited time in town and want to try a variety of NOLA favorites. They are well prepared. Are they the singular best at all these dishes, no, but they are all very good examples. Also since it is buffet, if you find something you don't care for then you can just switch to something else.

This is one of those times where you are better off just ordering it the way it comes. They are sickly sweet and one is enough. I always say to order the hurricane at Pat O's as a novelty, not because it is such a yummy drink.

I personally really like Court of Two Sisters and if you have limited time in town and want to try a variety of NOLA favorites. They are well prepared. Are they the singular best at all these dishes, no, but they are all very good examples. Also since it is buffet, if you find something you don't care for then you can just switch to something else.

Thank you!! When we were in New Orleans in January, it was just my husband and I, this time there are 12 of us!! We cant wait.

If you like seafood then you need to try Denies Seafood 841 Iberville in the French Quarter their food is fresh right out if the gulf. Also if you like to drink my favorite drink is the Voodoo Juice it has like 5 different rums in it but is is so good. Also the Clover Grill 900 Bourdain is open 24 hours it is a little hole in the wall but after I night of drinking and have the munchies you will enjoy their food. Enjoy your trip

If you like seafood then you need to try Denies Seafood 841 Iberville in the French Quarter their food is fresh right out if the gulf. Also if you like to drink my favorite drink is the Voodoo Juice it has like 5 different rums in it but is is so good. Also the Clover Grill 900 Bourdain is open 24 hours it is a little hole in the wall but after I night of drinking and have the munchies you will enjoy their food. Enjoy your trip

Sounds like I will have to try the Voodoo Juice!!! Thanks for the tips!!

Deanies is good if you like all your seafood deep fried. The food n New Orleans iis so fresh it seems like a sin to just dump it all in a vat of fat. I certainly enjoy a good fried shrimp and oyster poboy for lunch but I would expand beyond that for dinner.

Deanies is good if you like all your seafood deep fried. The food n New Orleans iis so fresh it seems like a sin to just dump it all in a vat of fat. I certainly enjoy a good fried shrimp and oyster poboy for lunch but I would expand beyond that for dinner.

I noticed the same on Deanie's menu so I crossed it off the list. I would like to try charbroiled oysters, steamed crawfish and maybe a grilled lobster. We're going on a cruise to the carribean so I might just get the lobster in the ports.

ok. I'll trust you. I typically find cheap well liquors taste terrible in any drink but if it's basically sugar syrup, I guess it covers it up. maybe we'll share one. lol I'm a vodka soda girl so sweet drinks are not my thing but when in NOLA......

Everyone's taste for drinks is different but I don't find Pat O'Brien's hurricanes to be too sweet. Most people I take there for the first time say the drink is too strong until they get halfway through it. Then the second half goes down much faster.

After that they can't wait to order a second one. I discourage everyone from getting a third one because the sidewalks in New Orleans are awful hard when you hit them. ;)

This is not a culinary suggestion but a practical one.

After a night of bar-hopping, top off the evening with a Lucky Dog, sold be vendors on Bourbon Street. Besides tasting good, they go a long way towards waking up the next morning feeling relatively good.

• 3 weeks later...
We have a Jazz Brunch ressies for the Court of Two Sisters, has anyone been there?

I did this almost 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. As BudgetQueen pointed out, it's nothing super fancy or anything over the top, but I did really enjoy sitting under the grapevine canopy outside listening to the jazz quartet and the food was delicious. It was very relaxing for me and just a NOLA thing that I'd always wanted to do when I lived there.

Edited by olemissreb

I did this almost 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. As BudgetQueen pointed out, it's nothing super fancy or anything over the top, but I did really enjoy sitting under the grapevine canopy outside listening to the jazz quartet and the food was delicious. It was very relaxing for me and just a NOLA thing that I'd always wanted to do when I lived there.

Thanks, really looking forward to it!!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app