What to do in Malaga

campolady

Is the best way to get to el Pimpi - go a couple streets over from the cathedral and then left (north ?) for a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My suggestion would be to give el Pimpi a miss.

It may have been a great local bar in the past, but these days it is just a typical disappointing tourist trap.

Campolady, thanks for all the info you posted..very helpful. I'm interested in buying a few small decorative tiles while in Malaga the end of the month. Can you advise the best places to find those?

Before taking the train out of town, try the Main El Corte Ingles store. El Corte Ingles in the largest department store change in Spain and they have everything: on a visit to Madrid a few years ago we purchased Lladro sculptures, canta flamengo recording and souvenirs all at the one store!

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I first want to thank Campolady for all her great information. We should have you in every port forum.

We will be in Malaga on Sunday, February 11th on NCL Spirit. We are a group of 4 and hope to do the following but need your advice:

-10:00 am Mass at the Cathedral - Is the Cathedral within walking distance from where the ship shuttle drops us off? Or should we take a taxi from the ship, especially since there are 4 of us?

- Is there a cafe nearby after mass to have Churros?

- Castle - are there taxi's near cathedral to go up to castle? If so, do you know aprx. fare?

- Walk down from Castle or take taxi

- Visit Alcazba and Roman Ruins (how close are they from each other)

- Visit the plaza where Picasso's statue (don't know where?) can you help?

- Visit some local jewelry stores (if open on Sunday)

- Tapas

- Wine tasting at Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia

After mass, what order should we do above? Thanks so so much for all your help. You made our trip so much easier!!!

Laurie

We will be in Malaga in October of this year for one day on a cruise ship. We wanted to be able to walk around Malaga to see the sights but also experience some of the culture. After a little research and some very positive reviews, we booked the Walk & Taste Malaga tour with WE LOVE MALAGA. It looks like we will still have time to walk around after the tour and visit some shops. I am very excited about it and hope we made the right call!

Now as long as we can find the meeting place once we get there, we will be all set! :D

Hi Campolady,

I was wondering if you could help with our itinerary when we arrive by cruise ship for a day. My husband has issues with more than a few stairs and hills as well as walking more than three blocks. It sounds like the castle would be a lot of stairs, so that might be out. I would prefer to take some type of transportation to most places and when we have to walk, find places to stop for a drink/snack. We do like shopping, eating and ancient architecture. Can you make suggestions for us? Appreciate your help!

CampoLady...

Sorry if you have answered this, but I noticed you were on line so I am trying to be so lucky as to catch you.

We will be in Malaga on a Sunday. Will everything be closed, or will many things be open?....Thank you so much as always.

Doug

CampoLady...

Sorry if you have answered this, but I noticed you were on line so I am trying to be so lucky as to catch you.

We will be in Malaga on a Sunday. Will everything be closed, or will many things be open?....Thank you so much as always.

Doug

Campolady is posting ok, but seems to have stopped responding to this thread!

Most things will be closed on Sunday in Malaga. Restaurants and cafes will be open, but most shops will be closed. Picasso museum is open and Gilralfaro is open also (free from 2pm).

• 3 weeks later...
CampoLady...

Doug

As previously said, although museums, bars and restaurants are open on Sundays most shops are closed apart from in December. The city buzzes on Sundays though as it is the day that local families go for lunch and a walk in the park or along the seafront.

Hi i did it two weeks ago with Play Granada company. They offer 2 packages according your needs and your time.

First one longer from 9 am and return at Malaga port about 7:30 pm and the other shorter from 9 am and return to the port at 4:00 pm.

They provided me the transfer (that was optional) from the port, they picked me up at 9:00 am, was a people carrier i think Mercedes Tourer so for maximum 8 people (we were six that day) and than we arrived at their office in Granada about 11:30 and started 2 hours city tour through the arab quarter and gipsy quarter. Could choose between walking tour max. 12 people and segway or e/bike which were for maximum 6 people (i chose e/bike). After the city tour (from 12 to 2 pm) which i really recommend you, the receptionist gave me the alhambra ticket, so i ate something and rested a little bit and than about 3:30 i went to visit the Alhambra (just 10 minutes distance from their office) until 6:00 pm (the company offer you the possibility to have guided tour in the alhambra). After that at 6:00 pm the driver pick me up just outside the Alhambra and bring me back at the Malaga port about 7:30 pm. I passed a great day. They always have Alhambra tickets available but recommend you to book in advance.

As i have told you before there is also half day Alhambra from 9 to 4 pm for the cruisers who don't have a lot of time (i think skipping city tour).

Before booking i checked the reviews on tripadvisor and noticed they have 2 company (Granada and Nerja) both of them are first in the table in the respective cities.

They organize also other trips like Ronda passing by other fantastic villages as el Chorro and Seteñil de las Bodegas or Alpujarra, Sierra Nevada, Nerja and tour in Malaga as segway ebike ecc..

The emails are: info@playnerja.com and info@playgranada.com. I hope that can help you. Bye

• 1 month later...
The shuttle bus is offered by the cruise ship. €5 for the return tickets, day pass. The ticket booth is set up inside the cruise terminal. You pay cash and they give you a ticket. The coach bus waits at the parking lot near the entrance/exit area.

We didn't buy the tickets and we walked straight to the town centre. It was a nice walk and we took photos along the walk. We saw the museum (glass building with different color square) and took photos there with marina view in the background. Then we walked to the bus 35 stop and took the bus 35 to the castle. After we were done, we took the bus 35 to the town centre. We went to the market first. Bought some Malaga nuts and Malaga figs. They were so tasty. The market can't compare with the one in Barcelona and please don't miss the market in Barcelona. Then we walked to the square where Picasso statue is located. Then we stopped to have tapas and free wifi. After that, we walked to the roman theatre area. We forgot the Cathedral in our path. We just visited two small ones. On our way, we walked through the park. Before we went back to the cruise terminal, we stopped at the beach nearby and took some photos. It was a relaxing day. Just take your time. When you feel tired, just pick a bench and sit. There are many benches set up in Malaga.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you remember how much time this took you? We will be in port from 7-4. Looks like a good plan!

• 2 weeks later...
No problem - glad you got it sorted and apologies for me not understanding your post.

You can't come to Spain and not try Tapas! Most bars have a Tapas cabinet on show and, if you don't know the name of a particular Tapa, just point; some places actually have a Tapas Menu to peruse. The odd bar still gives a Tapa free with each drink but most charge a nominal sum nowadays - anything from 50 cents (as at our local bar) to €2-3 at more pretentious places. As you will have found out from your google search, Medio-Raciones and Raciones are just larger portions of Tapas - medios generally cost around €4-5 each with full raciones around €6-8. It is quite normal to have just one drink and tapa in several different bars rather than making a full meal of it in just one place; Tapas are generally available throughout the day from mid/late-morning onwards. Some bars only offer Tapas to people sitting at the bar but most now also serve them to people sat at tables inside or outside.

Every bar has its own selection of Tapas. It would be impossible to give a full list - the options are limitless - but most places serve at least some of the following more common choices:-

Patatas Bravas (hot) - fried Potato pieces often served with spicy Tomato Salsa and/or Mayonnaise

Calamari Romana (hot) - battered Squid Rings

Croquetas (hot) - Deep fried torpedo shapes filled with Béchamel Sauce mixed with Ham, Cheese or Fish

Queso Manchego (cold) - slices of Spanish Cheese

Jamon Serrano (cold) - slices of Mountain Ham

Pulpo - Octopus with potatoes and paprika (hot) or cold in a vinegrette

Tortilla (usually warm but can be cold) - Spanish potato and onion omelette

Gambas - Prawns - served Cocidas (cold), Plancha (warmed on a griddle), Pil Pil (hot with olive oil, paprika and garlic)

Sardinas (hot) - Sardines

Chorizo (hot) - Spanish spicy sausage

Paella (hot) - Rice with vegetables and usually meat and/or seafood

Mejillones - Mussels - hot either griddled or steamed or cold in a vinegrette

Callos (hot) - Tripe stew often with chick peas

Hope this helps

LOVE this little cheat sheet!! Can't wait to be in Malaga for the day with all your tips in hand!!

LOVE this little cheat sheet!! Can't wait to be in Malaga for the day with all your tips in hand!!

Can't believe I missed off some of our favourite Tapas!!!

Anchoas/Boquerones (cold) - Anchovies in Vineger

Habas con Jamon (hot) - Broad Beans cooked with Mountain Ham

Higado con Cebolla (hot) - Liver with Onions

Carne con Tomate (hot) - Meat (usually Pork) in a Tomato Sauce

Ensalada Rusa (cold) - Diced vegetables in Mayonnaise often topped with grated egg

Chorizo Inferno (hot) - Spicy Sausage on a skewer served over a dish containing inflammable alcohol

Morcilla (hot or cold) - Black (blood) Pudding

Calamaritos (hot) - Deep fried tiny Squid

Patatas Ali Oli (cold) - Diced Potato in Garlic Mayonnaise

Can't believe I missed off some of our favourite Tapas!!!

Anchoas/Boquerones (cold) - Anchovies in Vineger

Habas con Jamon (hot) - Broad Beans cooked with Mountain Ham

Higado con Cebolla (hot) - Liver with Onions

Carne con Tomate (hot) - Meat (usually Pork) in a Tomato Sauce

Ensalada Rusa (cold) - Diced vegetables in Mayonnaise often topped with grated egg

Chorizo Inferno (hot) - Spicy Sausage on a skewer served over a dish containing inflammable alcohol

Morcilla (hot or cold) - Black (blood) Pudding

Calamaritos (hot) - Deep fried tiny Squid

Patatas Ali Oli (cold) - Diced Potato in Garlic Mayonnaise

I just finished reading all 19 pages and am now fully ready for our DIY day there next month during our cruise :-) I took pictures of both pages of the tapas and know it will guide us throughout many stops in Spain!! What a joy it would be for my husband and I to meet up with you for a drink and some tapas at YOUR favorite place. It would be a treat to repay you for all the work you have done for so many on this thread!!!!

What a joy it would be for my husband and I to meet up with you for a drink and some tapas at YOUR favorite place. It would be a treat to repay you for all the work you have done for so many on this thread!!!!

What a lovely thing to say - thank you so much for your kind words.

Have you seen my other thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968022 that has some similar/some different info on Malaga. I actually thought I had closed it when this thread started but it has recently been resurrected!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you Campo Lady!We've just arrived here for a months stay and will certainly be referring back to these pages. We visited on past cruises and decided worthy of an extended stay...(even brought along the little dog)...

Not quite over the jetlag...but we'll be out and about soon..rainy today anyhow.. thanks again!

Dave & Yoli. .and Pixy

Thank-you Campo Lady!We've just arrived here for a months stay and will certainly be referring back to these pages. We visited on past cruises and decided worthy of an extended stay...(even brought along the little dog)...

Not quite over the jetlag...but we'll be out and about soon..rainy today anyhow.. thanks again!

Dave & Yoli. .and Pixy

Have a wonderful stay - and hope the weather improves.

We will be in Malaga for one night next week prior to joining our cruise ship at Malaga port the next morning and are looking forward to visiting some of our favourite places and, hopefully, finding some new treasures..

• 11 months later...

SEMANA SANTA - Anyone sailing into Malaga during Semana Santa (Holy Week) starting 7th April this year try to see one of the many emotional and dramatic processions that take place every day in Malaga.

Here are pictures from last years processions https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJRCBuW6Bc9ykAsVZLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=malaga+semana+santa+2018&fr=yfp-t

Edited by campolady