What to do in Malaga

campolady

In Malaga today. Sitting in a cafe with Internet after our tour. Used a ship tour 4x4 Andalusia to see the mountains and white cities around Malaga. Glad we did the tour...small group in two Land Cruisers. Stopped in a couple of the white towns (once in the morning for coffee and once for lunch) and saw some great views.

Campolady that you for your suggestions. We were in Malaga right after Christmas and had a delightful time. The weather was cool but the city is beautiful. There was a great market along the port area next to where the ferries dock. The main shopping area had tremendous lights out at dark; great photos even. We went to the Picasso Museum and enjoyed it very much. The best part of being in Malaga as well as the other cities we visited was how walkable to city is. We averaged 6-9 miles of walking a day. The restaurants were good and tapas exceptional.

All in all I would recommend Malaga to all as a good place to visit even if not in the height of tourist season.

Campolady that you for your suggestions. We were in Malaga right after Christmas and had a delightful time. The weather was cool but the city is beautiful. There was a great market along the port area next to where the ferries dock. The main shopping area had tremendous lights out at dark; great photos even. We went to the Picasso Museum and enjoyed it very much. The best part of being in Malaga as well as the other cities we visited was how walkable to city is. We averaged 6-9 miles of walking a day. The restaurants were good and tapas exceptional.

All in all I would recommend Malaga to all as a good place to visit even if not in the height of tourist season.

So glad that you enjoyed your time in Malaga wave rider - it is great to get feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Campolady, thank you so much for all your ideas. It has been 24 years since we spent a week in Malaga so we are looking forward to our port day there in October. I've printed out several of your suggestions. We'll make decisions as the date gets closer.

So good of you to help with ideas.

Must admit that this thread really has us thinking. We have been to Malaga about a half dozen times on cruises and a few more times during our extensive driving trips around Spain. We will again be in Malaga in late March for a port day. This time, DW is saying "lets not rent a car" and she wants to just stay in Malaga! For us, this is a novel approach since we normally would be off in our car to Grenada, Nerja, Mijas, Ronda, Marbella, or other wonderful Spanish destinations in the region. But DW has now dictated that we actually spend an entire port day in Malaga. Oh my!

Hank

Of these cities you mentioned, which are closest to Malaga, and which would be the easiest to get to using a bus or train? Any info is appreciated!

For us, this is a novel approach since we normally would be off in our car to Grenada, Nerja, Mijas, Ronda, Marbella, or other wonderful Spanish destinations in the region. But DW has now dictated that we actually spend an entire port day in Malaga.

Of these cities you mentioned, which are closest to Malaga, and which would be the easiest to get to using a bus or train? Any info is appreciated!

Of the places mentioned in Hlitners post:-

NERJA AND MIJAS is the closest - you have details for Mijas and the bus goes from Malaga main bus station.

MARBELLA - You have details for Marbella. The bus goes from Malaga main bus station.

NERJA - You can get a bus to Nerja from by the port gates with a journey time of 60 to 80 minutes depending on the route; for a day trip you need the quickest 'Directo' services - let me know if you would like the timetable. Note that the well known Cave of Nerja is not actually in the town but a further 4 kilometres on at Maro and not all the Nerja buses go that far - for the Cave you need one going to 'Cuevas de Nerja' with the Cave entrance being the final stop/terminus. The 'bus station' in Nerja town is actually just a normal stop so you need to watch for the mass exodus of passengers - it is then a 10 minutes walk downhill to the town centre/coast - and a real pull back uphill lol! You need to buy tickets at the ALSA kiosk before boarding at Malaga - ask for 'Ida y Vuelta' which is a return ticket and saves a small amount of money.

RONDA can be reached by bus or train in just under 2 hours. You need to go to the main bus station or the main Maria Zambrano train station. I would definitely go by train for comfort and ease.

GRANADA can be reached by bus but the journey time is 2 hours and the road is notorious for delays and people have missed sailings due to these. The bus station in Granada is outside the city so you would need to take another bus or taxi into the centre. The bus goes from Malaga main bus station. Personally I wouldn't consider doing Granada by public transport unless you have a very long day in port to allow for unexpected delays. Once again just ask if you would like the bus timetable.

The easiest places to reach are the resorts of Torremolinos, Benalmadena and Fuengirola - buses to the first 2 can be picked up at the mini bus station by the port gates or you can take the much quicker train from Alameda station a 10 minute walk from the port entrance. Note that the train stop for Benalmadena is actually at Arroyo de la Miel a good 20 minutes walk from Benalmadena Costa - downhill going but a heck of a climb coming back; the bus goes to Benalmadena Costa.

Edited by campolady

Of the places mentioned in Hlitners post:-

NERJA AND MIJAS is the closest - you have details for Mijas and the bus goes from Malaga main bus station.

MARBELLA - You have details for Marbella. The bus goes from Malaga main bus station.

NERJA - You can get a bus to Nerja from by the port gates with a journey time of 60 to 80 minutes depending on the route; for a day trip you need the quickest 'Directo' services - let me know if you would like the timetable. Note that the well known Cave of Nerja is not actually in the town but a further 4 kilometres on at Maro and not all the Nerja buses go that far - for the Cave you need one going to 'Cuevas de Nerja' with the Cave entrance being the final stop/terminus. The 'bus station' in Nerja town is actually just a normal stop so you need to watch for the mass exodus of passengers - it is then a 10 minutes walk downhill to the town centre/coast - and a real pull back uphill lol! You need to buy tickets at the ALSA kiosk before boarding at Malaga - ask for 'Ida y Vuelta' which is a return ticket and saves a small amount of money.

RONDA can be reached by bus or train in just under 2 hours. You need to go to the main bus station or the main Maria Zambrano train station. I would definitely go by train for comfort and ease.

GRANADA can be reached by bus but the journey time is 2 hours and the road is notorious for delays and people have missed sailings due to these. The bus station in Granada is outside the city so you would need to take another bus or taxi into the centre. The bus goes from Malaga main bus station. Personally I wouldn't consider doing Granada by public transport unless you have a very long day in port to allow for unexpected delays. Once again just ask if you would like the bus timetable.

The easiest places to reach are the resorts of Torremolinos, Benalmadena and Fuengirola - buses to the first 2 can be picked up at the mini bus station by the port gates or you can take the much quicker train from Alameda station a 10 minute walk from the port entrance. Note that the train stop for Benalmadena is actually at Arroyo de la Miel a good 20 minutes walk from Benalmadena Costa - downhill going but a heck of a climb coming back; the bus goes to Benalmadena Costa.

Thank you so much for this information, campolady! :)

from the port,how far is the Gibralfaro castle and Alcazaba...are cabs an option??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Plenty of cabs by the cruise terminal - journey time up to Gibralfaro around 10-15 minutes depending on traffic with a fare around 8-10 euros. Gibralfaro is also one of the stops of the HOHO bus that goes from the port gates.

Edited by campolady

I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your posts. Amazing information. Our ship (Seabourn Quest) will be in port on 27 April & we're thinking of doing a walking food tour. Fortunately we're in port until 11 pm. Have you, or have any of you done one here & would you recommend it? We did the "Devour Barcelona" one last fall & LOVED it. They are going to start one in Malaga but not in time for us. I would appreciate your recommendations. We've been in Malaga a couple of times...amazing city.

Does anyone know how to find out which other ships are in port?

Thanks to all for your posts.

I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your posts. Amazing information. Our ship (Seabourn Quest) will be in port on 27 April & we're thinking of doing a walking food tour. Fortunately we're in port until 11 pm. Have you, or have any of you done one here & would you recommend it? We did the "Devour Barcelona" one last fall & LOVED it. They are going to start one in Malaga but not in time for us. I would appreciate your recommendations. We've been in Malaga a couple of times...amazing city.

Does anyone know how to find out which other ships are in port?

Thanks to all for your posts.

Thank you so much for your nice comments. I hope this may help you:-

I haven't done it myself - I just wander from bar to bar as the fancy takes me lil - but I know this tour is very popular http://www.welovemalaga.com/product/malaga-walk-and-taste-tour/

Here is a link to see what other cruise ships are in port each day - scroll down the page to find what is scheduled throughout April http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/malaga-port-75?month=04-2016#schedule

Edited by campolady

I haven't done it myself - I just wander from bar to bar as the fancy takes me lil - but I know this tour is very popular http://www.welovemalaga.com/product/malaga-walk-and-taste-tour/

Here is a link to see what other cruise ships are in port each day - scroll down the page to find what is scheduled throughout April http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/malaga-port-75?month=04-2016#schedule

We (just DH and I) have taken a tapas and walk tour with Victor of We love Malaga. It was excellent. Would definitely recommend:)

and Dutch for your great suggestion. It appears there will be several ships including a big Celebrity so I'd better get busy. You really are a treasure!

Any suggestions for Cartahenga?

Cartagena is a lovely town and I would just wander round trying the many excellent Tapas Bars. Also, a visit to the Amphitheatre is a must. Ships dock right by the town centre so it is a great DIY port.

By the way, there is an excellent little bar just inaide the indoor market - looks a bit scruffy but great Tapas!

Edited by campolady

Muchas gracias, Campolady, for all your helpful information!

Here's another question for you. When we were in Barcelona and in Pisa several years ago, in late April, both were exceedingly crowded (like the pictures of Times Square on New Year's Eve). I heard that it was because of the May Day holiday a few days later. Are we likely to experience such crowds in late April in Cadiz, Malaga, and Alicante this year?

Muchas gracias, Campolady, for all your helpful information!

Here's another question for you. When we were in Barcelona and in Pisa several years ago, in late April, both were exceedingly crowded (like the pictures of Times Square on New Year's Eve). I heard that it was because of the May Day holiday a few days later. Are we likely to experience such crowds in late April in Cadiz, Malaga, and Alicante this year?

I can't speak for Cadiz or Alicante (although I would expect them to be similar), but, although slightly busier than usual, excessive crowds in Malaga are unlikely. The May Day weekend (29th April to 2nd May) is a 'Puente' (Holiday weekend), and many Spanish visitors do come down to the coast, BUT most stay in the resorts rather than the cities.

The crowded period in Malaga - and an awe inspiring time to visit - is Semana Santa (Holy Week leading up to the Easter weekend) when the amazing processions take place each day and night.

Plenty of cabs by the cruise terminal - journey time up to Gibralfaro around 10-15 minutes depending on traffic with a fare around 8-10 euros. Gibralfaro is also one of the stops of the HOHO bus that goes from the port gates.

sounds good!!:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Campolady you have so much information - it's great. I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place but we are intending to tour Malaga on our own for our day in port in September, but were wondering if there are any audio tours at the Alcazaba Fortress - do you get enough information without a tour guide? From all the posts it seems as if Malaga is very doable as DIY but were concerned about the Fortress.

Campolady you have so much information - it's great. I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place but we are intending to tour Malaga on our own for our day in port in September, but were wondering if there are any audio tours at the Alcazaba Fortress - do you get enough information without a tour guide? From all the posts it seems as if Malaga is very doable as DIY but were concerned about the Fortress.

There are no guides/audio guides at the Alcazaba but you are given a map with some information. Yes, Malaga is very doable as DIY.

Thank you! What a wealth of information! We will be in Malaga on April 19th (this year :)) and I have already printed all your suggestions. I think it will be a great DIY port.

One question for you, what type of weather do you think we will have during that time of year? I know it's unpredictable but I'd like your best guess:D

Again, thanks for taking the time to post and answer all the questions!

Thank you! What a wealth of information! We will be in Malaga on April 19th (this year :)) and I have already printed all your suggestions. I think it will be a great DIY port.

One question for you, what type of weather do you think we will have during that time of year? I know it's unpredictable but I'd like your best guess:D

Again, thanks for taking the time to post and answer all the questions!

April can be a bit hit and miss but you are likely to get plenty of sunshine with temperatures in the low to mid 20s - can feel even warmer in sheltered spots. Rainfall is possible but this tends to be in sudden short, very sharp, showers rather than prolonged rain with the sun coming out again as soon as the rain stops.

Here is the predicted forecast for April this year based on historical data http://www.accuweather.com/en/es/malaga/306732/april-weather/306732

Hope this helps and that you have a great time in Malaga.

Edited by campolady

OP, thank you for the wonderful info you provide in this thread. much appreciated.

I have 'We love Malaga' booked in April. Looking forward to it. Also plan on visiting the Picasso museum before.