What to do in Malaga

campolady

There is an excellent little Tapas bar immediately opposite the entrance to the Picasso Museum called Bodeguita El Gallo - try to make time for at least a short visit there.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have a little time before the Picasso Museum opens and a little time after the WE Love Malaga tour.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the number of the HOHO Bus stop closest to the port & how do you get there?

I took the HOHO in Malaga several years ago & as I recall I first had to take a shuttle to the edge of the port to reach the HOHO. My notes from the trip say "Stop #4" but not sure if that is the shuttle stop # or the HOHO stop number.

I know there are 2 HOHO companies in Malaga but I believe the one I took was City Sightseeing.

What is the number of the HOHO Bus stop closest to the port & how do you get there?

I took the HOHO in Malaga several years ago & as I recall I first had to take a shuttle to the edge of the port to reach the HOHO. My notes from the trip say "Stop #4" but not sure if that is the shuttle stop # or the HOHO stop number.

I know there are 2 HOHO companies in Malaga but I believe the one I took was City Sightseeing.

The HOHO stop is right by the port gates - no bus or stop number, just look for the ticket booth. You can walk to the port gates in 15 minutes from the cruise terminal.

MALAGA PARK/PARQUE DE MALAGA

Oops - only just realised that I missed the lovely Malaga Park off my list of 'Things To Do'.

Situated just across the road outside the port gates this is an oasis in the city. Paraqueets, Tropical Trees, small childrens play area and peace + quiet make this a lovely place to relax.

http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tourist-resources/detail/parque-de-malaga-malagas-park/56

VIDEO http://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-city/articles/malagas-parks-el-parque-de-malaga

Edited by campolady

Campolady. So many fabulous ideas for Malaga on this thread that as well as stopping here in September on Eclipse, I've booked a long weekend in April to take up more of your suggestions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Campolady. So many fabulous ideas for Malaga on this thread that as well as stopping here in September on Eclipse, I've booked a long weekend in April to take up more of your suggestions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You will love your long weekend - Malaga is brilliant during the day but absolutely buzzes at night. Have a wonderful trip.

Campolady do they do bull fighting at La Malagueta on Jul 26/16? Can't figure it out on their website? If so what time?

I cannot find any 'fights' scheduled yet for Malaga in July. The Summer fight festival is during Feria month in August http://www.taquillaoficial.com/entradas-toros-malaga-la-malagueta/p-6-venta.html

Edited by campolady

Campolady thinking of doing our own walking tour starting with > MALAGA PARK > CATHEDRAL >ROMAN THEATRE > ALCAZABA > GIBRALFARO CASTLE > La MALAGUETA BEACH.

How much time would this take and how much would it cost?

Campolady thinking of doing our own walking tour starting with > MALAGA PARK > CATHEDRAL >ROMAN THEATRE > ALCAZABA > GIBRALFARO CASTLE > La MALAGUETA BEACH.

How much time would this take and how much would it cost?

If you walk from the cruise terminal, and take the bus up to Gibralfaro (but walk back down), I would expect you would need around 3 hours plus however long you want to stay on the beach plus a further half hours walk back to the cruise terminal. You could cut 40 minutes off by taking the shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to the park and back. If you want to walk up to the castle - a steep walk - add an extra half an hour.

If you are in Malaga in high Summer allow extra time for drinks stops.

Cost wise:-

Cathedral (interior plus museum) - 5 Euros per person

Alcazaba/Gibralfaro - buy a combined ticket for both places at 3.50 Euros p.p.

Roman Theatre - no charge

If you are Seniors there are reduced rates available on production of age ID.

All places (except the museum in the Cathedral) have free entrance on Sundays from 2 p.m. although access to parts of the Cathedral won't be available during Mass times.

Bus fare up to Gibralfaro - approx. 1.30 Euros p.p.

I hope this helps - feel free to ask again if you require any further information.

campolady, we will be on a cruise and in Malaga until 11:59pm in May and would like to have dinner in Malaga before the ship departs. Any recommendations?

You will be spoiled for choice as Malaga is a Foodies paradise! A lot depends on what type of food you want to eat and how high in price you want to go.

One place we particularly like is 'Meson de Cervantes' on Calle Alamos http://www.elmesondecervantes.com but, if you tell me what you are looking for, I can make other suggestions.

If you only want a short walk from the cruise terminal this place is literally within the port area http://www.toromuelleuno.com/ - great food but without the atmosphere of the old city.

Edited by campolady

Meson de Cervantes looks good. Looking for local cuisine, not too fancy, mid to upper end price wise, no Michelin stars, seafood but meat also available, possibly outdoor seating. My wife is a somewhat picky eater and is gluten intolerant.

You may also like La Reserva 12 just off Calle Larios http://lareserva12.com/. Sadly the menu suggestions are not showing up on the English site but, if you click to swap to Spanish, they are listed. We regularly meet Spanish friends here for dinner; prices are higher than Meson de Cervantes.

To be honest, the old city area around Calle Larios/Plaza Espana/Plaza Merced/Cathedral has so many places that would suit your criteria that you may be best just wandering around and look at all the menus to see where suits you best.

Of course, to really experience Malaga at night just follow the locals into several different Tapas bars - usually far better quality food than found in many restaurants and much better atmosphere. Your wife could then see all the Tapas and choose what she really fancied. One of the most famous bars/restaurants in Malaga 'El Pimpi' - one of our all time favourite places and a great place to people watch - has an Allergy Menu on its website https://www.elpimpi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/PIMPI_ALERGENOS_ING.pdf With unbeatable atmosphere and typically Andaluz décor including an indoor courtyard and outside seating area overlooking the Roman Theatre which is floodlit at night this could be the perfect place for you.

Edited by campolady

How much would a cab cost from the pier? Would I snack there or stop at a place near this . Thank you

Taxi fare should be no more than 6 Euros. Many places to eat in the Plaza Merced and its surrounding streets - from snack bars to high end restaurants.

Edited by campolady

Campolady,

Thank you and all the other posters so much. We'll be in Malaga at the end of October and are looking forward to touring. We spotted a flamenco museum among other unusual sights. However, my post has to do with getting some good quality olive oil to take back to the States. Anywhere to recommend and any particular brand?

Also, are there plenty of places scattered around to pick up a couple of six packs of water for the TA?

Once again thank you.

Campolady,

Thank you and all the other posters so much. We'll be in Malaga at the end of October and are looking forward to touring. We spotted a flamenco museum among other unusual sights. However, my post has to do with getting some good quality olive oil to take back to the States. Anywhere to recommend and any particular brand?

Also, are there plenty of places scattered around to pick up a couple of six packs of water for the TA?

Once again thank you.

The food hall of El Corte Ingles has a good selection of Olive Oils. However, for far more Andaluz atmosphere - plus the opportunity to sample local hams, meats and cheeses as well as purchasing Olive Oil - go to Mallorquina who have 2 shops; the first is at Calle Sagasta number 1 and the second at Plaza Felix Sanz number 7. You will be spoiled for choice - we particularly like the oils from Los Romanes, Periana and Mondron or branded oils such as La Velena and La Flor de Malaga. Mallorquina will also vacuum pack hams and cheeses if you want to take some home with you.

Plenty of shops to buy water.

Edited by campolady

Can you get a taxi right from the ship to the Castle? How much would this cost?

Yes - the fare should be around 7-8 Euros.

If you are Seniors don't forget to take some form of date ID to get a reduced admission charge at the Castle. You can also buy a combined ticket for both the Castle and the Alcazaba,

Edited by campolady