Qsine, what type of food?

wendyatpml

...If one is hung up on traditional dining then Qsine should probably be avoided. But if you sometimes want to think of dining as an adventure, like to try lots of different dishes, and want to think of dinner as a place to have fun....then Qsine is a great choice.

I'm actually more hung up on the idea of paying a $90 surcharge (for a couple) for whimsy. Besides, just eating in the Main Dining a room can provide adventure and fun at no extra charge..:D

Seriously we usually find great variety of dishes in the restaurants, new ingredients and preparation vs what we find at home. We try lots of different things on every cruise without paying a specialty surcharge.

When we do go to a specialty, I like to experience fine dining, elegance, table side cooking, quieter and more spacious atmosphere, etc.

As other posters said, many either love Q or hate it. I'm kind of indifferent to it. I'd try it again for $10 pp, but $45 seems excessive for what it delivers.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Have to agree that $45 pp is too much for Qsine...or any other restaurant. Personally, we would not pay that price (and never have). If we are able to "negotiate" more favorable terms then we usually enjoy dinner in Qsine during our cruises. Otherwise, we just enjoy Blu.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm actually more hung up on the idea of paying a $90 surcharge (for a couple) for whimsy. Besides, just eating in the Main Dining a room can provide adventure and fun at no extra charge..:D

Seriously we usually find great variety of dishes in the restaurants, new ingredients and preparation vs what we find at home. We try lots of different things on every cruise without paying a specialty surcharge.

When we do go to a specialty, I like to experience fine dining, elegance, table side cooking, quieter and more spacious atmosphere, etc.

As other posters said, many either love Q or hate it. I'm kind of indifferent to it. I'd try it again for $10 pp, but $45 seems excessive for what it delivers.

We felt the same way, until we dined there.

We were upgraded to a suite and received two free specialty meals each. We ate both in Qsine.

The restaurant is quiet and no problem with the atmosphere. It is probably not what you would call fine dining, however, if you like variety and high quality, this is the place.

You can sample an array of dishes from American seafood to Mediterranean, Indian, Chinese and more in one meal.

Some posters have said that $45 pp is too high. Usually on the first night, you can get a special deal of 2 for 1 at the speciality restaurants. Other nights, go to the speciality restaurant early in the day and you can usually get anywhere from 25-40 percent off depending on their reservations for the day. It doesn't cost anything to ask!

On my last cruise (Infinity in Sept.) my wife and I were at the Martini Bar at 5pm when a waiter from the SS United States restaurant came by and was offering 50 percent off dinner that night just to fill up the restaurant.

Some posters have said that $45 pp is too high. Usually on the first night, you can get a special deal of 2 for 1 at the speciality restaurants. Other nights, go to the speciality restaurant early in the day and you can usually get anywhere from 25-40 percent off depending on their reservations for the day. It doesn't cost anything to ask!

On my last cruise (Infinity in Sept.) my wife and I were at the Martini Bar at 5pm when a waiter from the SS United States restaurant came by and was offering 50 percent off dinner that night just to fill up the restaurant.

Whether you can expect discounts in the specialty restaurants depends a lot on the type of trip. We did a transpac last spring (Solstice) and had no trouble getting discounts; same for Caribbean on other trips. But in Europe this fall (Silhouette) it was next to impossible.

Regarding Qsine and the type of dining it is, IMO the terms Tapas and small plates really doesn't capture it, nor explain why some just don't like it. To me the main difference is that, in most restaurants, the courses follow a common pattern; first the appetizer and/or soup and/or salad, then a main course of protein with one or two sides of starch and vegetables, then desert. Qsine is not like that at all. There are several choices, many of which have multiple preparations within the same item (e.g. several curries each with one or two bites). Some are very unusual, some less so. But you order and consume them in any sequence at all. There is no appetizer, main course, salad, etc. It's all mixed up and in whatever sequence you choose. Personally I believe that many folks find this too wacky to get their heads around, have a negative reaction, and won't go back. But the food tastes good -- you just have to throw caution to the wind a little bit, and go with the flow.