Will we make 10 am flight?

Whiterug

I've seen others asking to make an early flight be told they'd make it, so it seemed doable.

"Doable" is an interesting term: it certainly does not mean "a sure thing", or even "probable". It simply means that you might be able to do it if things work out all right.

It might make sense to take that sort of risk if there really are no good alternate options (which is very unlikely), and if the cost to you of not making the flight, after committing to it, is not going to be significant (which is only slightly less unlikely).

"Doable" is an interesting term: it certainly does not mean "a sure thing", or even "probable". It simply means that you might be able to do it if things work out all right.

It would provide for the reverse of the "Pier Runners"...

Go back to read Shorex's post (#17). Explains a lot. I'd say that 90+% of the "early flight" questions are because of the significant cost savings. Take a minute to think that one through and it all makes sense.

I've seen others asking to make an early flight be told they'd make it, so it seemed doable.

There are a number of very experienced travelers/cruisers on this forum. Seems there is just about 100% agreement to not book at 10 A.M. post cruise in San Juan. It is rare to have this much agreement about anything on any of the cruise forums. :D Perhaps they know of what they speak?

In the end, of course, the decision is yours. If you choose to book that early flight, please let us know how lucky you got ..... or not.

Edited by sail7seas

It would provide for the reverse of the "Pier Runners"...

Go back to read Shorex's post (#17). Explains a lot. I'd say that 90+% of the "early flight" questions are because of the significant cost savings. Take a minute to think that one through and it all makes sense.

Right - that explains the motivation to shoot for an early flight; but for it all to make sense there needs to be a reasonable prospect of success.

Right - that explains the motivation to shoot for an early flight; but for it all to make sense there needs to be a reasonable prospect of success.
I probably didn't elaborate enough.

When are there cheap flights? Early in the day.

Why are the flights cheaper? Because people aren't booking them.

Why aren't they booking them? Because it is too early when getting off a ship. So demand is down. (There is residual demand from those not getting off the ship, to fill out the picture.)

Should I book it to save money? Do you know something that "the market" doesn't? What's your risk tolerance?

Strange paradox: The OP posted this three places. this forum, nearly everyone said 'don't do it'. San Juan Ports of Call forum, everyone said 'don't do it'. On the Royal Caribbean board, nearly everyone said 'go for it'. HMMM...EM

Strange paradox: The OP posted this three places. this forum, nearly everyone said 'don't do it'. San Juan Ports of Call forum, everyone said 'don't do it'. On the Royal Caribbean board, nearly everyone said 'go for it'. HMMM...EM

Interesting. The generalists (who might be thought of as having wide experience) on this forum advised against it as did those on the San Juan forum (who might be thought of having experience re: San Juan).

Either Royal Caribbean fans are wiser, or more experienced, or else they are risk takers.

Which do you think it is?

Interesting. The generalists (who might be thought of as having wide experience) on this forum advised against it as did those on the San Juan forum (who might be thought of having experience re: San Juan).

Either Royal Caribbean fans are wiser, or more experienced, or else they are risk takers.

Which do you think it is?

My guess is that most are much more familiar with FLL and Oasis/Allure debarkation and are basing advice on that experience.

Oasis and Allure to not debark end of cruise in San Juan. OP is talking about catching a flight home at cruise end. Oasis and Allure sail out of and back to FLL where they have a special terminal built for them.

Oasis and Allure to not debark end of cruise in San Juan. OP is talking about catching a flight home at cruise end. Oasis and Allure sail out of and back to FLL where they have a special terminal built for them.

That was the point.

What does disembarking in FLL from Oasis and Allure have to do with someone wishing to disembark in San Juan from a different ship?

Careful reading of the post suggests that broberts was saying that those on the RCCL forum who said the flight was not a problem were more familiar with ships debarking in FLL than in San Juan. EM

That IS strange! :confused: The three times I've flown out of SJ post-cruise were all RC cruises -- and I most certainly would NOT recommend anyone trying to make a 10:00 flight. As others have pointed out, any ship can have immigration/customs delays. The airport is not all that close to the cruise port, and traffic can be troublesome. Then, when you get to the airport, you have to clear the ag/inspection, before checking in for your flight. If more than one ship is docking that day, or it's the height of tourist season, you can encounter some very long lines at that airport. :eek: