??? Shore excursions help please

river525

OK we are leaving in a couple of weeks for our first cruise and I am having a fit over shore excursions. We are doing the Western Carribbean with Carnival. So we will be in Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman (I have booked and excursion here), and Cozumel.

I'm a night owl so having to wake up early to have to be off the ship for an excursion just isn't sitting well with me. BUT on the other hand I don't want to miss seeing the place we are docked at.

If we don't book an excursion can we still get off the ship and just kick around? Should I book the beach excursion for Roatan and Cozumel just to be safe?

Belize is the one place I'm really struggling with b/c it appears there are no beaches and we are not interested in the cave tubing.

There seems to be so much to "learn" with cruising and I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before we leave. This message board has been a life saver!!!

Yes, you can get off the ship and just hang out even if you don't book an excursion. When we were in Belize last year, we did the Belize City and Zoo tour. It really was very interesting and we enjoyed it. I have read a lot of people say they didn't like Belize but it really is a beautiful country. It's just not as 'touristy' (in my opinion) as the other ports.

In Cozumel, we did the Sea Trek Helmet Dive and the Atlantis Submarine. I HIGHLY recommend both. Even if you dont book an excursion here, you will find there is a lot to do as there are TONS of shops to wander in and out of.

We did the Stingray City Sandbar in Grand Cayman, which is AWESOME.

Regardless of what you decide to do, you will have a great time. We cruised Valor last month and had a wonderful time. Have a great cruise!

We booked the "jungle buggie" in Belize. It was a bit pricey but we loved every minute! A long and sometimes bumpy bus ride into the forest with a tour guide explaining the various points of interest and then a ride thru a private forest reserve on top (yes, on top!) of a big military style truck. We had a grand time bouncing thru various ecological zones and mud puddles. This may be too much activity for a person who is very frail. Check the climate, you may not be able to do this in rainy season. BTW... Belize City is one of those ports that has tender service to the big cruise ships. Most of the lines hire fast local boats to move people back and forth to the ship because of the distance to shore. I sort of recall hearing that it was 4 miles from the ship to shore.

Cozumel is a fun place! There is a big international pier and lots of shops right at the end of the pier. That is where you get picked up for excursions or just grab a cab, there are lots and lots of cabs. You might go into town to shop and stroll around. Cozumel is also a great place to just go sit on the beach. Pick a beach club you like, get off the ship a grab a cab. Very easy to do. The beach clubs have clean restroom facilities, nice places to eat and bars for refreshments. Many of these place run $10 - $20 per person and offer nice relaxing days at the beach. I never had a day on Cozumel that I didn't enjoy. I hope this is helpful.

River525,

I would try and book something for Belize - when you are tendered into the port area it is a gated shopping area - not a real big one. WE did the cave tubing here which I no you have no interest in doing - but just try and have something to do you are in the city and I don't know how far to beach area.....

Cozumel we just took a taxi to Paradise Beach and spent the day relaxing and then did some shopping in the late evening!

Good luck picking your excursions and have a great cruise!

Grand Cayman has a lot in the way of "must -see" excursions (snorkeling, stingrays, hell, turtle farm), but the town is also great to walk around in and 7 mile beach is fabulous for just wandering and relaxing.

Belize, unless you want to stay in a small gated shopping area right at the dock, you will need to book an excursion or stay on the ship.

Cozumel is probably your best bet for wandering around town and shopping/eating/drinking/bargaining and just hangin out. Fun little town to hang out in for the day. Beaches are also nice here. You can easily do Cozumel without an excrusion.

Roatan, I haven't been there in about 6 years, but I am assuming it has changed little since I was there. Not much to do at the dock. This is the kind of place where an excursion is necessary as well. If I am not mistaken, the beaches and reefs are at the opposite end of the island from where the ship docks. Maybe someone else can help here, but I don't think there was much right at the dock area.

I know you said that you were not a morning perosn, but you should really try and get up for the docking in Cozumel or Roatan. Its pretty cool to watch the islands come into view and see the ship maneuver to the port. In Belize and Grand Cayman, you will be at anchor and have to tender in.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and ideas on the excursions. I am feeling relief in knowing a little on what to expect at each of the stops. Everyone's ideas are great and very helpful. Thanks so much!!! Now......if someone can just promise that the weather will be perfect :D .

I welcome anymore ideas as I'm making notes. Thanks again everyone

Hola amigos,

I must agree with fuzzmo. Belize is one place where you need to have a tour or stay on the ship. The Caymans and Coz can be done on your own. There are a lot of taxis and plenty of things to choose from. You need to do a little research and have a slight idea of what you want to do in each port. Honduras is a new one for me. We have not been there, YET. I am a night owl too, but when it comes to exploring new worlds and seeking out new lifeforms, I am ready and able. That is why they call me, " Captain Curt".;)

Cozumel-grab a cab and go to Chankanaab park or Paradise Beach. Chankanaab has snorkeling,botanic gardens,restaurants-very clean $10 admission fee

Paradise Beach has wonderful relaxing atmosphere and great food.

Grand Cayman-swimming with the stingrays was one of my all time favorite things to do

Belize- we took a boat trip out to the reef and swam with a small brown shark and a very friendly stingray. he played in the water with us the whole time we were snorkeling. We stopped at Caye Caulker for sardines and had time & lunch on Ambergris Caye.Great day.

Roatan-try the zip-line. It goes down about 11 platforms and ends at a beach. I'm 42 and 'fluffy' and it was work but really fun.or go to Tabyana beach-great snorkeling.lots of buses that take you back to the port. we wish we had more time here.

I agree that Belize & Roatan should be purchased excursions. do not wander off on your own other than the small shopping area near the ship.

Cozumel-grab a cab and go to Chankanaab park or Paradise Beach. Chankanaab has snorkeling,botanic gardens,restaurants-very clean $10 admission fee

Paradise Beach has wonderful relaxing atmosphere and great food.

Grand Cayman-swimming with the stingrays was one of my all time favorite things to do

Belize- we took a boat trip out to the reef and swam with a small brown shark and a very friendly stingray. he played in the water with us the whole time we were snorkeling. We stopped at Caye Caulker for sardines and had time & lunch on Ambergris Caye.Great day.

Roatan-try the zip-line. It goes down about 11 platforms and ends at a beach. I'm 42 and 'fluffy' and it was work but really fun.or go to Tabyana beach-great snorkeling.lots of buses that take you back to the port. we wish we had more time here.

I agree that Belize & Roatan should be purchased excursions. do not wander off on your own other than the small shopping area near the ship.

I just booked with Coral Breeze Limited for the Shark/Ray Snorkeling & Caye Caulker exploration. It was recommended by a number of people on here and I've only spent $69.00 for it.

Thanks Jamiski :) -- I just contacted Reggie and am hoping to hear back from him soon. The cave tubing doesn't interest me but he offers other tours and I'm hoping he can help us out on just driving us around for the day showing us Belize, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed. thanks again for your suggestion

Thanks Jamiski :) -- I just contacted Reggie and am hoping to hear back from him soon. The cave tubing doesn't interest me but he offers other tours and I'm hoping he can help us out on just driving us around for the day showing us Belize, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed. thanks again for your suggestion

Glad to help. My sister and I went with Reggie and had a great time. Since then it seems he has branched out using family members to run other tours. I hope he can help you out with a tour, I think the only way to see Belize is with a honest local. Otherwise I wouldn't get off the ship, the area the ship tenders to (at least when I was there) wasn't very nice at all.

Archived