Icelandair's pricing is crazy!

sevigny

Just checked one way from Chicago to Amsterdam at end of June. Cost is now 3036.00 usd. RT for same date and returning mid July is about 2800.00! That's just crazy for saga class. Really hope this is just a momentary screw up on their part, but all pricing one way in June is now that price. Crazy!

Just checked one way from Chicago to Amsterdam at end of June. Cost is now 3036.00 usd. RT for same date and returning mid July is about 2800.00! That's just crazy for saga class. Really hope this is just a momentary screw up on their part, but all pricing one way in June is now that price. Crazy!

Why are you concentrating on Icelandair? There are several other options for 1/2 of that price. Is this for economy or business? Here is what I am seeing ImageUploadedByForums1445810655.357467.jpg.0687a045abb3548dda9f8773dbdbac77.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1445810644.541641.jpg.f493e5d94f1c34145c403089bc7f86c6.jpg

Edited by Photojunkie_I_am

American Airlines is currently having a sale on purchased frequent flyer miles. You can buy 53,000 miles for $1026 or 110,000 miles for $2124, and turn around and redeem 50,000 miles per person, plus $107 in fees and taxes, for one-way business class flights on American to London then British Airways to Amsterdam. There are seats available from Chicago to Amsterdam every day of the week for the last week in June.

Sign up for the program if you're not AAdvantage members already, then you can put the seats on hold while you buy the miles, so you don't need to risk losing them in the meantime. https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift

• 2 weeks later...
Prices have gone up crazily! I booked our flight to Copenhagen for next year back in September. Now it's an extra $500 each. That makes a $1,000 difference on two tickets just over two months. Glad I booked Icelandair (still a fan) when I did.

I feel the same way! Our tickets are about $350 pp more than they were when we booked them. There are three of us, so that's $1000 difference. I'm hoping to become a fan, as this is our first trip on Icelandair.

• 5 months later...

In January, 2016 I booked Saga Class for a round trip in August, 2016 (Boston to Amsterdam with a layover in Iceland). It cost $2,200 but now it's costing $3,300! That's just 3 months later. They're busy in summer and price is often a reflection of supply/demand.

A couple years ago, in January, my friend tried to book a flight for July but all the flights were already sold out. I love flying Icelandair, for many reasons, so I always book as early as possible.

Why are you concentrating on Icelandair? There are several other options for 1/2 of that price. Is this for economy or business? Here is what I am seeing [ATTACH]366269[/ATTACH][ATTACH]366270[/ATTACH]

It's the one way. Has been crazy all the fall and winter. Just hard to believe and it is every airline in the same price range.

I went United and bought points on their half price sale then used those for an economy ticket award. One way ended up costing us about $600 that way. You are really late buying tickets so in today's air market I would get something if you can. Planes flying so full -- not so much competition.

Some suggest buying a rt and ditching the last half. Perhaps try going to another entry like Frankfurt or Brussels.

Good luck. Hope you find something good.

In January, 2016 I booked Saga Class for a round trip in August, 2016 (Boston to Amsterdam with a layover in Iceland). It cost $2,200 but now it's costing $3,300! That's just 3 months later. They're busy in summer and price is often a reflection of supply/demand.

Actually business/first class demand is softer in the summer on transatlantic routes. The big carriers such as BA have huge sales covering pretty much all TATL routes for that reason. Last year I bought a combo BA First/Club World tickets for July in May. Prices do go up when you get much nearer the time of travel. I don't know how Icelandair work because their demographic is pretty different to your average business traveller (I assume!) but on BA you can easily pay $10k return last minute for Club World, double that for First.

$2200 for the Saga Class product is a really hefty price, it's a really lousy product more on par with premium economy than anything else. At $2200 you're easily within the fare sale range for real, flat bed business class non-stop across the Atlantic. Even close to half that with BA's Chase Visa and AARP membership.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/08/20/icelandair-business-class-saga-class-review/

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but Condor Business is a reasonable one way option. I would not fly their economy, Prem Econ & Business are well priced and good products.

Just a slight word of caution. Condor is not a regularly scheduled airline but it is a charter airline. If the one plane that goes every other day on a route is cancelled or changed then you can end up missing the first day of your cruise. This happened to a person on my roll call. For her, the flight from BWI to FRA that she bought would have given her plenty of time to arrive for her embarkation the day before. With the new schedule she would arrive one day after sailing. :eek: She had a horrible time getting her money refunded since there was no other alternative to allow her to reach the ship on time -- that plane or none since Condor is not in alliance with anyone. Also recommend that if in economy note the reviews of the seating arrangement being amongst the tightest in the industry.

I have had enough experiences traveling to leave more time than I need and to have several back-up possibilities/plans thought out so can start to take action while others are standing in line to talk to airline agent. Never not a risk of missing cruise but trying to make that as unlikely as possible.

Both my experiences with Condor involved flying home from Europe so missing my cruise was never an issue. Both Frankfurt to Seattle flights left on time and arrived early. Thought their Business Class product a good product (for the $1200 I paid) and no one way pricing as the other airlines wanted $$$$ for one way coach (not even Prem Econ).

Condor has horrible reviews for Coach so I would not do that. JMHO