Bad knees?

beachbum53

3-week mark today after TKR. Finished my home PT and started out-patient PT. Still only at 80 degrees flexion. My new PT vows that we'll get to 120 degrees in six weeks -- or sooner. No problem putting in pain for muscle strength exercises but the flexion stuff is a bear to endure.

All about how much pain to put into it.

Still taking six 500mg Tylenol daily and two 50mg Oxycodone at night to help me sleep.

I second (or third!) the use of Glucosamine and Chondroitin -- either with or without MSM. Move Free, Osteo BiFlex, or Kirkland's brand -- all seem to work the same way. I had a severe tibial plateau fracture about 25 years ago, and have arthritis in that knee. The Glucosamine/Chondroitin takes the stiffness (and pain) away right away. Way better for you than an NSAID, I think.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I use Deep Blue Cream and/or Deep Blue Oil from DoTerra. I tried lots of other products with little relief. Deep Blue works and smells great (like peppermint). DoTerra products are all natural so no side affects and very rarely sensitivity. Other products contain medication like aspirin and acetaminophen which can interact with prescription meds. Check out DoTerra.com for more information and search for a Wellness Advocate near you. A friend introduced me to this product and it has made life so much better. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have severe arthritis in my left knee, result of a motorcycle wreck.  When it really acts up I put Capsazan on it. Works great. 

My doctor put me on Nebumetone which helps keep the inflammation down.

I also always wrap my knee with Tommy Copper sleeves, work great. I don’t leave home without them.

Edited by BigMickHare
Add

Tomorrow, I'll be nine weeks post op on my TKR. 110 degrees flexion -- a bit behind schedule. Surgeon is threatening to put me under total anesthesia and doing a forced manipulation. Insurance will allow 75 PT sessions a year, so I think that I will stick with PT until I get 120 degrees or better. Good thing I sort of enjoy PT.

Surgery pain is pretty much gone and I can walk fairly well without a cane. But I keep the cane around when walking in the open. PTs know my surgery pain is fading and they're adding some PT stress to get flexion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 5:40 PM, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Tomorrow, I'll be nine weeks post op on my TKR. 110 degrees flexion -- a bit behind schedule. Surgeon is threatening to put me under total anesthesia and doing a forced manipulation. Insurance will allow 75 PT sessions a year, so I think that I will stick with PT until I get 120 degrees or better. Good thing I sort of enjoy PT.

Surgery pain is pretty much gone and I can walk fairly well without a cane. But I keep the cane around when walking in the open. PTs know my surgery pain is fading and they're adding some PT stress to get flexion.

Just  saw this 

I had the same issue 

mine was caused  from muscle spasms  that kept my knee from flexing further

I took some OTC muscle  relaxers before PT  it helped a bit 

5 mths  after  surgery  we flew to AMS  something happened on the flight  &  by the time we arrived  I was fully mobile ..even walked 6 k  the 1st day

Hope you have more movement now

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Just  saw this 

I had the same issue 

mine was caused  from muscle spasms  that kept my knee from flexing further

I took some OTC muscle  relaxers before PT  it helped a bit 

5 mths  after  surgery  we flew to AMS  something happened on the flight  &  by the time we arrived  I was fully mobile ..even walked 6 k  the 1st day

Hope you have more movement now

Thanks for your comments.

BTW, which brand of OTC muscle relaxer do you use? Is it a pill or topical cream?

I'm somewhat stalled at 110 degrees after 12 weeks. Very slow going but I can walk without pain.

31 minutes ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Thanks for your comments.

BTW, which brand of OTC muscle relaxer do you use? Is it a pill or topical cream?

I'm somewhat stalled at 110 degrees after 12 weeks. Very slow going but I can walk without pain.

I think I just used the Walmart brand  it has been 6 yrs  sime my KR

it was  a pill but also use Voltaran cream ( no smell)

It took me 5 mths  to  get to the 120 degree  but  when I went in the the surgeon to pop it  he said as soon as the anesthetic  went in my knee went to 130  on it's own

being pain free is  good

Hope  you get  full flex  soon

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, LHT28 said:

I think I just used the Walmart brand  it has been 6 yrs  sime my KR

it was  a pill but also use Voltaran cream ( no smell)

It took me 5 mths  to  get to the 120 degree  but  when I went in the the surgeon to pop it  he said as soon as the anesthetic  went in my knee went to 130  on it's own

being pain free is  good

Hope  you get  full flex  soon

Voltraren cream is anti inflammatory (ie, pain reliever) , not a muscle relaxer.  And it's prescription only in the US, OTC in other countries.

47 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

Voltraren cream is anti inflammatory (ie, pain reliever) , not a muscle relaxer.  And it's prescription only in the US, OTC in other countries.

Yes

I used the Voltaran  creme  to easy  some of the pain/swelling  that happens  

DH uses it on his  broken ankle  joint that still gives him trouble after 4 yrs

• 4 weeks later...

I developed pretty bad left knee pain several years back and attributed it to that knee being injured pretty bad in a car accident just after getting my driver's license at age 16. Shortly after my knee pain began I happened to have a routine exam with my doctor and she had ordered lab work done prior. My doctor happened to test my Vitamin D level along with other routine labs and she found my level severely low and put me on high dose Vitamin D for a couple of weeks and then onto a daily maintenance dose which I have taken ever since. Within a few days of taking that high dose Vitamin D my knee pain went away. And I can tell you if I become lax with taking my maintenance dose for a week or so boom my knee pain comes back and then goes away again when I restart taking Vitamin D again.

Vitamin D has many functions and is very important in maintaining joint and bone health along with maintaining strong immune function. Not surprising when my level was low, in addition to my knee pain I had been experiencing one respiratory infection after another which I believed was related to my high exposure to all types of germs working in healthcare. Once my Vitamin D level maintained normal range for awhile those frequent respiratory infection became very infrequent.

For those suffering with joint health issues especially those living in climates with long winters like I do where we get minimally sun exposure which is where the bulk of our Vitamin D comes from, it would be worth your effort to have your doctor check your level and then treat if your level turns up low which may help improve your joint health and in turn lessen or possibly eliminate your joint pains.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

After twenty years of trying to get relief from knee pain (cortisone shots, creams, nightly icing, scoping, so much Tylenol my body was a mass of bruises), and of having my life very limited in what I could do, I finally had a serious face off with my GP and demanded a referral to an orthopedist.  The orthopedist asked why I had waited so long to look into getting a new knee.  I was scared, so scared. But going ahead with the surgery was the BEST thing I have EVER done for myself.  I was up walking the afternoon of the surgery.  Doctor gave me oxycodone for pain but I never needed it.  I was in physical therapy three days after surgery managing stairs, recumbent bike and lifting a ball between my ankles and raising it up and down.  I think a successful recovery is largely due to a positive attitude.  I was able to drive within five days.  (Left knee/automatic transmission).  Staples out at three weeks.  I am having the right knee done in April.  Take back your life, get moving the way you dream of doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jean,

that is so so good to hear. I had very similar results with both of my knee replacement surgeries and experienced the exact difficulties before my first surgery. Now I tell everyone who says they have knee issues to just find a good orthopedic surgeon and have the replacement. 

James

• 1 month later...

After four months post total knee replacement in my left knee, I'm stalled at 110 degrees flexion (target was 120 degrees). My physical therapist said he didn't want me to leave but intimated that there was no progress in the last two months. So I have stopped going to therapy.

Orthopedic surgeon offered a manipulation under anesthesia (MUA) but I can't stomach the thought of a forced tearing of scar tissue.

Otherwise, the operation was a success -- no problem walking 10K steps per day over moderate terrain without pain. Main obstacle is finding a parking spot where I can open my car door all the way so I can get in. 😉

On my exercise bike, looks like 110-115 degrees flexion, so I'll continue that along with my usual home PT.

Advice for prospective TKR patients, work a LOT harder than I did at PT!

I had a partial right knee replacement in mid 2012 and at that time the doctor said the left knee was bad enough to be done at any time.  I limped around for years and used a cane.  It got bad enough that I sold my beloved stick shift van. 

Since I live alone now, I didn't want to burden someone with helping me recover.  About a year ago I decided to try walking more rather than less.  I started slow on a treadmill and now I am up to 2 1/2 miles a day at a 5% slope.  My last cruise, I was able to use the stairs about 1/3 of the time.  Usually whichever I thought was quicker.  I don't go up or down quickly and with heavy use of the handrail but I was able to go from the 6th to the 15th deck a few times.  My knee can and does get sore sometimes but it recovers fairly quickly and I have walked over 5 miles at a medium pace.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:55 AM, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

After four months post total knee replacement in my left knee, I'm stalled at 110 degrees flexion (target was 120 degrees). My physical therapist said he didn't want me to leave but intimated that there was no progress in the last two months. So I have stopped going to therapy.

Orthopedic surgeon offered a manipulation under anesthesia (MUA) but I can't stomach the thought of a forced tearing of scar tissue.

Otherwise, the operation was a success -- no problem walking 10K steps per day over moderate terrain without pain. Main obstacle is finding a parking spot where I can open my car door all the way so I can get in. 😉

On my exercise bike, looks like 110-115 degrees flexion, so I'll continue that along with my usual home PT.

Advice for prospective TKR patients, work a LOT harder than I did at PT!

I had my first TKR July '16, second TKR on Dec 13th '17 and due to a deep tissue infection had to undergo a revision Dec. 12th '18.  I don't know what the temperature where you live, but please try and find a pool to exercise in,  Water PT is the BEST way to achieve perfect results.  good luck

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lynne2fl said:

I had my first TKR July '16, second TKR on Dec 13th '17 and due to a deep tissue infection had to undergo a revision Dec. 12th '18.  I don't know what the temperature where you live, but please try and find a pool to exercise in,  Water PT is the BEST way to achieve perfect results.  good luck

Thanks for the pool tip. Yes, we have access to YMCA heated indoor and outdoor pools.

What specific knee flexion exercise did you use in the water?

16 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Thanks for the pool tip. Yes, we have access to YMCA heated indoor and outdoor pools.

What specific knee flexion exercise did you use in the water?

I m sure your PT guy can give you some suggestions.  I personally found that straddaling a pool noodle and doing a pedaling movement was great, marching, and putting your back against the pool wall with the "bad" foot and knee bent as far as possiable and then lowering the good leg really helped alotamd of course swimming.  I found the breast stroke was the hardest to relearn.  I also swear that last September when we were snorkeling for lobster I kept going in a circle becasue the one leg was stronger  lol.  Keep up the good work

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2016 at 12:02 AM, easyboy said:

Where did you have the acupuncture? I take Indomethacin when the pain is to much for walking.

I tried acupuncture on a ship the first time, just for laughs! I have been committed to it ever since! I can go 4-6 weeks between treatments.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have had arthritis in my knees for a while now. I do find that walking helps. When my doctor recommended walking, my first reaction was "what's he thinking?" I also do some exercises which are designed for arthritis relief. Hot tubs and saunas are also good. I am also not above taking a hit or two from a joint if needed. 

• 4 weeks later...