Arcade charges

I have read varying reports that even if you do not allow charging on a child's SeaPass card, they can still rack up charges at the arcade. Is there any way of blocking ALL charges, including arcade charges? I am worried if my child sets his card down or misplaces it, that someone may pick it up and start charging.

There must be a way. I hope someone out there knows the answer :)

This topic comes up fairly regularly and I have not read of anyone posting of a way around it other than the usual "they can't do that" or " I won't pay it" responses.

If there was a way around it they wouldn't post that warning in the compass.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I am worried if my child sets his card down or misplaces it, that someone may pick it up and start charging.

Don't think it's required, but many/most kids seem to have their seapass hanging from their neck on a lanyard. Harder to lose it that way.

You can block all charges but be aware that if you buy them a soda package this "activates" the card again, even if you have no credit card tied to it.

At least this is the only explanation they could come up with when it happened to my daughter.

Don't trust anything you do online or at the pier. If you want to block charges go to the guest services first thing after boarding. Trust me they can disable it entirely for purchases, but for some reason only after you have boarded. Even if you didn't buy a soda package I would check with guest services again.

Don't think it's required, but many/most kids seem to have their seapass hanging from their neck on a lanyard. Harder to lose it that way.

Thanks, I thought of this, but my son does not like necklaces or anything getting in his way when he plays sports.

I will be sure to talk to guest services on board, but even still I have found that the information one person provides is not always 100% accurate.

Thanks, I thought of this, but my son does not like necklaces or anything getting in his way when he plays sports

I can understand that. Get him a pair of shorts/pants that have pockets that close (zipper, velcro) and he can keep his card in there ... :)

How old is he? If he's old enough to be out and about on his own...he should be able to keep his card in a pocket and not lose it! You could attach it to a lanyard, hooked to a belt loop...and kept in his pocket...like a pocket watch!

Edited by cb at sea

How old is he? If he's old enough to be out and about on his own...he should be able to keep his card in a pocket and not lose it! You could attach it to a lanyard, hooked to a belt loop...and kept in his pocket...like a pocket watch!

Haha, thanks for the parenting advice. Yes, he absolutely should be able to keep his card in his pocket, but the reality is that things sometimes mysteriously go missing. I would like to restrict all charges on the card as a precaution. If there is no way to, then I guess my best option is to not give him his card. He really does not need it as he will be in the program most of the time, anyway. I thought it would be wise for him to carry it, but not if I cannot prevent charging.

I hold on to my kid's cards. I don't allow my kids about the ship by them selves (they don't need to gain access to the room without me). So that is the only solution I have for you :(

Put me in the "Royal should not be able to get away with this camp". No charging privileges should mean exactly that. I think it's very dishonourable of Royal to allow anyone to activate a card in the arcade, even though charging has been disabled.

What does that say about all the adults that misplace THEIR cards?!?!? :rolleyes:

We are all imperfect, excited, distracted and out of our normal routines when cruising. These things are bound to happen from time to time.... Better to plan and not need....

I wonder could you make it a cash account and just put $5 or some low amount on it?

I wonder whether that would work. I would expect that not allowing any charging should not allow arcade charges, but it does. If we set up a $5 cash account, it may just default back to the parents' credit card once the $5 is used up. :confused:

You probably don't need 10 of them, but maybe something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Wowlife-Badge-Reel-Lanyard-Retractable/dp/B007TIM6XU

It attaches to your belt loop and has a retractable string for the card to go on.

Thanks for the great suggestion. It's funny, I had one of those at work, and managed to lose my card (it unclipped somehow) so I guess clumsiness runs in the family :o :p

At this point, I would prefer not to work around Royal's odd policy, rather try to find a way to prevent any charging. Otherwise , I don't think it would be a big deal for him not to have his card on him (although my preference would be for him to have it).

To use the machines in the arcade, your child will need to go to a separate machine and load cash onto their sea pass account. They can not just put the sea pass in a game and have the game work. For whatever reason, that machine does not recognize when a sea pass has no charging capabilities and allows for money to be loaded to play games. Once the money is used on games, the sea pass then needs to be reloaded to be able to use the arcade again.

If your child is going to be in Adventure Ocean the majority of the time, there shouldn't be an issue. If the sea pass does get lost, I do not see the cruise line holding you responsible for charges, especially if they see from the history on the account that the child is not a "big spender" in the arcade.

I would just keep an eye on the charges on all accounts. We make it a habit of checking our accounts on the tv in our cabin once a day. We have also always allowed our child to have charging privileges as we used it as a learning experience. He knew what he was allowed to charge each day and anything above that, he was responsible for reimbursing us. It really depends on your child's age and whether you feel they can be trusted or not as we all know some kids need to be reigned in a little more than others.;):p

To use the machines in the arcade, your child will need to go to a separate machine and load cash onto their sea pass account. They can not just put the sea pass in a game and have the game work. For whatever reason, that machine does not recognize when a sea pass has no charging capabilities and allows for money to be loaded to play games. Once the money is used on games, the sea pass then needs to be reloaded to be able to use the arcade again.

OK, this is new information altogether! Are you saying that the sea pass on its own does NOT allow arcade charges? Rather, you have the ability to load cash onto the sea pass for use in the arcade? So, if we load $10 on the sea pass, he can use $10 in the arcade and after that no charges will be incurred?

I wonder whether that would work. I would expect that not allowing any charging should not allow arcade charges, but it does. If we set up a $5 cash account, it may just default back to the parents' credit card once the $5 is used up. :confused:

I know you don't want to go to the hassle of finding out, but now I'm curious. What if I was taking someone else's kid with me and their parents had given them cash? I wouldn't accept having them switched over to my credit card. Obviously if it was for medical or something important is cover it, but not willy nilly spending.

OK, this is new information altogether! Are you saying that the sea pass on its own does NOT allow arcade charges? Rather, you have the ability to load cash onto the sea pass for use in the arcade? So, if we load $10 on the sea pass, he can use $10 in the arcade and after that no charges will be incurred?

Correct, someone has to physically load the sea pass by putting it into the machine, that on the ships we have sailed on, is at the entrance to the arcade. Your child or any other child can not just stick the sea pass in a game and play away. However, if a kid found a lost card, they could stick it into the machine, load it, and then go play games. If this were to happen, I would ask for security to pull surveillance tapes and find the critter who did it.

I understand that you are trying to be safe but depending on the age of the child we are talking about, they are liable to be with you in the arcade if they are younger so there shouldn't be an issue.

If your child is going to be in Adventure Ocean the majority of the time, there shouldn't be an issue. If the sea pass does get lost, I do not see the cruise line holding you responsible for charges, especially if they see from the history on the account that the child is not a "big spender" in the arcade.

I would just keep an eye on the charges on all accounts. We make it a habit of checking our accounts on the tv in our cabin once a day. We have also always allowed our child to have charging privileges as we used it as a learning experience. He knew what he was allowed to charge each day and anything above that, he was responsible for reimbursing us. It really depends on your child's age and whether you feel they can be trusted or not as we all know some kids need to be reigned in a little more than others.;):p

Exactly. Just keep an eye on the card charges. If the child loses the card, I'm sure they will know in a reasonable time frame. Heck, I check my charges at least once a day on a card I haven't lost. :D

Correct, someone has to physically load the sea pass by putting it into the machine, that on the ships we have sailed on, is at the entrance to the arcade. Your child or any other child can not just stick the sea pass in a game and play away. However, if a kid found a lost card, they could stick it into the machine, load it, and then go play games. If this were to happen, I would ask for security to pull surveillance tapes and find the critter who did it.

How do they load the sea pass at the arcade? With cash?

There is a separate machine. Insert your Seapass card in it and transfer money from your Seapass account onto the card. It's the same card but uses 2 different sections of the magnetic stripe.

Once you have confirmed the transfer (in effect authorizing the use of the card in the arcade) then the card will be good for whatever amount that you authorized it for by simply inserting it into any of the games.

They use that machine I mentioned to load the card with money to be used in the arcade. If you load $20, a $20 charge will be made against your sea pass account. I do not know if the machine will take cash, maybe someone else will know. They can then use the sea pass in the arcade to play $20 worth of games.

Oh I see. So back to the original question, but rephrased... If charging is not allowed on a child's sea pass card, can they use that card to load arcade credit? Or rather, would an adult need to use their card to load arcade credit on to a child's card? I am hoping it is the latter.

Oh I see. So back to the original question, but rephrased... If charging is not allowed on a child's sea pass card, can they use that card to load arcade credit? Or rather, would an adult need to use their card to load arcade credit on to a child's card? I am hoping it is the latter.

Yes they can load the card with money to play in the arcade. That is what they are issuing the warning about in the compass.

A poor situation but one that the parent needs to be aware of.