What is the "old" pizza?

hpugirl27

Question: What year did Carnival change from the "old pizza" to the "new pizza?"

No specific year. The "new pizza" ties in to the Cutback 2.0, err... Fun Ship 2.0, program, which started back in 2011. Ships that have been heavily 2.0'ed (like Glory or Breeze) should have the new pizza. Non-2.0 ships (Fantasy class ships, for example) will generally have the old pizza.

Supposedly, the new pizza is more authentically Italian, that is, the kind you'll see in Mediterranean cruise ports. But most American tastes seem to prefer the thicker crust found in old pizza.

Thank you for both replies. I've been trying to remember a thicker, American style pizza, but don't. I've been sailing with Carnival since 2004, but do not remember anything being served except the thinner, more Italian style pizza. Either I've simply forgotten the thicker pizza, or was lucky enough to have only sailed on ships with the thin crust pizza. I say "lucky," because thin is my personal preference, not because it is objectively superior. It all boils down to personal preference, as most all food does.

Edited by Towel Critter

Thank you for both replies. I've been trying to remember a thicker, American style pizza, but don't. I've been sailing with Carnival since 2004, but do not remember anything being served except the thinner, more Italian style pizza. Either I've simply forgotten the thicker pizza, or was lucky enough to have only sailed on ships with the thin crust pizza. I say "lucky," because thin is my personal preference, not because it is objectively superior. It all boils down to personal preference, as most all food does.

The thin crust "new" pizza did not come out until end of 2011 or in 2012. Had it for the first time on the inaugural Breeze sailing. So I think you just forgot.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

The thin crust "new" pizza did not come out until end of 2011 or in 2012. Had it for the first time on the inaugural Breeze sailing. So I think you just forgot.
Apparently. Either that or the difference between the two isn't as pronounced as I'm assuming it is, based on posts in this thread. Perhaps when posters are saying "the old, thicker pizza," I'm thinking something closer to a deep dish pizza than what was actually served before. At any rate, I'm happy with what is being served now. I very much enjoyed the pizza on both the Glory and Breeze in the last year and half, or so.

Thanks for your replies!

The old style wasn't necessarily thick either like pizza hut pan pizza just thicker and softer than the current pizza. The old pizza was the equivalent to new york hand toss in thickness.

The old style wasn't necessarily thick either like pizza hut pan pizza just thicker and softer than the current pizza. The old pizza was the equivalent to new york hand toss in thickness.
Oh, okay. Thanks. I like both hand tossed and thin and crispy, though I've found myself gravitating toward thin and crispy in recent years. This certainly explains why the change didn't make a big enough impression on me to lodge in my long term memory.