Dining room screaming baby

lprime60

"Racist Pensioners" I need to know what ship you will be on so I can avoid you! Unbelievable :(

There's a small clue in my sig.

Not sure what bits unbelievable about the line. There's a definite attitude from some older people that because they've spoken/thought/acted in a particular way for a long time then it should just be accepted. It absolutely should not.

You can see it here in some replies - its not ok to hang on to offensive "traditions".

Not sure what bits unbelievable about the line. There's a definite attitude from some older people that because they've spoken/thought/acted in a particular way for a long time then it should just be accepted. It absolutely should not.

You can see it here in some replies - its not ok to hang on to offensive "traditions".

On the other hand, it might be asked whether it is ok to criticize others who do not unthinkingly jump aboard the latest politically correct bandwagon.

Didn't you just do that in your post with your comments about seniors?

I don't think so - I criticised the behaviour. Unless you think the OP (way back in the thread) was belittling babies, rather than complaining about noise.

On the other hand, it might be asked whether it is ok to criticize others who do not unthinkingly jump aboard the latest politically correct bandwagon.

Not talking about any particularly 'out there' bandwagon.

Particular examples of what I'm on about would be:

There's far too many capricorns^ on this ship. They don't wash often enough.

So glad we don't have any Aries^ at the table - their food is revolting

Don't even know how those Leos^ can afford to be on this cruise.

Our housekeeper is Saggy^ (My own custom offensive term for Sagittarians) so we've had to hide my perfume

I've gone with star signs^ instead of the words actually used.

Maybe it's different on sailings out of the US but I doubt it.

Which particular "PC bandwagon" folk do you think it's ok to offend ?

The comments here seem to be about the current parenting generation being selfish, self-absorbed, bad parents, too connected to their electronic devices. I disagree. In 1984 when we were on vacation with our almost 3 year old, we experienced a screaming baby in a highchair all through dinner every night.

It's not a new thing: bad parenting is a constant. If you experience it, then it's either talk to the manager or remove yourself. No way would I sit through that, and I don't on a daily basis. We eat all our meals out, and if there's a screaming baby in the room we cannot get away from, then we leave (before our order is taken, of course).

I even keep ear plugs in my purse if we can't get away!!

From Merriam-Webster: Bigot: a ​person who has ​strong, ​unreasonable ​ideas, esp. about ​race or ​religion, and who ​thinks anyone who does not have the same ​beliefs is ​wrong

From Oxford: Racist: A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another

Everyone has tolerance levels. Someone may not have any issues with a baby vocalizing during a meal, some may want all children banished from the MDR when they are dining. Just like everything else, to each his own. If you sign up for a vacation in a confining environment, you gotta take the good with the bad.

Still not sure which fad you're referring to. Can you post. An example of when you think here's a good reason ?

Sure -- the current PC fad over "sexism" forced Lawrence Summers to resign as president of Harvard because of a purely speculative comment he made - wondering if the lack of women in the fields of math and science might be because of differences in "wiring of the brain" between men and women.

At the same time, few people dare to challenge the feminist contention (see Mika Brezenski of MSNBC and Ariana Huffington) that women are more collaborative than men and are thus inherently better at team management.

Without taking either side, I merely note that the two contentions are mutually exclusive: but anyone interested in adhering to principal must surely see that there is good reason for taking exception to one or the other.

Sure -- the current PC fad over "sexism" forced Lawrence Summers to resign as president of Harvard because of a purely speculative comment he made - wondering if the lack of women in the fields of math and science might be because of differences in "wiring of the brain" between men and women.

At the same time, few people dare to challenge the feminist contention (see Mika Brezenski of MSNBC and Ariana Huffington) that women are more collaborative than men and are thus inherently better at team management.

Without taking either side, I merely note that the two contentions are mutually exclusive: but anyone interested in adhering to principal must surely see that there is good reason for taking exception to one or the other.

This is apparently something that's been kept pretty much stateside, not a situation I'm familiar with over here in the UK.

Nothing here on either side that would fit the racist tag I used, so not sure how it's relevant.

And just who gets to determine what's "offensive"? You, me, young people, old people, etc..... Based on my upbringing, half of the threads here on CC are offensive to me but you don;t see me out with a picket sign in my hand stealing TVs and shooting cops. :rolleyes:

We were recenty on a cruise and had the 6 pm dining and the table next to us had a baby that would just let out a loud scream several times during dinner. Nothing was said by any of the the staff to the parents and this happened every night. Why is it that we saw people being put out on formal nite for wearing shorts. And no one cared about babys screaming.

I don't think so - I criticised the behaviour. Unless you think the OP (way back in the thread) was belittling babies, rather than complaining about noise.

See this is what the problem is. You see the OP (which I reposted for you to reread) as belittling the baby itself instead of belittling the behavior (in your opinion). I find that ridiculous as the OP clearly states the problem is the child's "screaming" which is the behavior.

From Merriam-Webster: Bigot: a ​person who has ​strong, ​unreasonable ​ideas, esp. about ​race or ​religion, and who ​thinks anyone who does not have the same ​beliefs is ​wrong

From Oxford: Racist: A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another

Everyone has tolerance levels. Someone may not have any issues with a baby vocalizing during a meal, some may want all children banished from the MDR when they are dining. Just like everything else, to each his own. If you sign up for a vacation in a confining environment, you gotta take the good with the bad.

Actually, this is what shows for me on the Webster dictionary:

: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

So, as an example, I highly dislike the color brown. Based on the the highlighted portion of the definition, I am a bigot as I have no reason for the dislike (unfairly) and it is strong. So as I stated, everyone here is a bigot and there is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about that no matter how much it may piss someone else off. To be racist or sexist is a completely different thing and are covered by laws.

And no, you don't have to take the good with the bad as long as there are legal alternatives.

Edited by Who Cares?

See this is what the problem is. You see the OP (which I reposted for you to reread) as belittling the baby itself instead of belittling the behavior (in your opinion). I find that ridiculous as the OP clearly states the problem is the child's "screaming" which is the behavior.

I don't - I was trying to show that it was behaviour I was criticising (racism) and not the group (pensioners). I meant that it was clear that the OP had a problem with the screaming rather than the baby being there.

Actually, this is what shows for me on the Webster dictionary:

: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

So, as an example, I highly dislike the color brown. Based on the the highlighted portion of the definition, I am a bigot as I have no reason for the dislike (unfairly) and it is strong. So as I stated, everyone here is a bigot and there is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about that no matter how much it may piss someone else off. To be racist or sexist is a completely different thing and are covered by laws.

And no, you don't have to take the good with the bad as long as there are legal alternatives.

Sorry - but that's nonsense. Disliking a colour doesn't meet the dictionary definition at all. It's neither a person nor an idea, and there's no 'brown' group for you to hate the members of. To consider not liking a colour as being bigoted is absurd.