What is your all time favorite ship that no longer exists?

M/V Atlantic, Homeric...Was only on those two Home Lines ships but nothing has ever compared to the cruises on the Home Lines....

You are so right. I was on Home Line's Oceanic eight times (at least). Just loved that cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...

NORWAY

REGAL EMPRESS

OCEANIC

we sailed em all once each! Norway was the all time fav, I think I liked the regal empress just a tic better than oceanic, but, regal empress was my favorite ship to shoot pics of in port for years after sailing her

and we did the oceanic as the big red boat, so although we saw her in the heyday of the white ships in Bermuda we didn't sail her till she was a gaudy old bird!

has she been scrapped finally? or sunk? I kind of thought she was back in service recently?:confused:

• 2 months later...

they had a shell game going

Europe has lots and lots of laws, treaties and regulations on paper regarding chemicals materials, oil disposal, asbustus! and everything else a ship has in that makes it go and float

so, after taking the Norway back to france they couldn't then, take it to alang directly as the Norway so they had to tow it here there and everywhere finally renaming it the "BLUE LADY"

then run it aground in India and cut it up

Cruise Travel magazine had some pics and a neat article on it years ago. There are peeps that will rent a container, and venture into Alang and other breaking yards for treasure like bar fixtures, furninture and whatnot to ship back to the states.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=blue%20lady%20ship&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=blue%20lady%20ship&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

this thread has some of the scrapping pics down a bit

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=blue%20lady%20at%20alang&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=blue%20lady%20at%20alang&sc=0-15&sp=-1&sk=

:(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Definetly the "Oriana" from 1961

She had an unusual design. Some said ugly - my own opinion - she is beautiful.

You can say she was a "World Liner", because - with her open and glas enclosed promenades for both classes - she was able to be used on every line service - also theoretically for northern transatlantic if needed in these times.

From the 70ths until end of 1981 - every year she made a line voyage in autumn UK - Australia via Bermuda, Florida, San Francisco, Vancouver, Hawaii to Sydney - and in spring sam, the same route back.

Liked her more than her more popular running mate "Canberra".

1749359.jpg

• 4 months later...
Rotterdam V is my favorite.

Royal Viking Sky shares many fond memories for many different reasons with S. S. Montery of Pacific Far East Lines (she was a former Matson ship) as a number 2. Both are drastically different ships with quite different cruise experiences. Both were "gems" in their own right.

Just wanted to tell you that two of the ships you mentioned are happily still with us! I thought you might want to know about them. :)

Rotterdam V is still around. It is preserved as a hotel/museum ship in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Royal Viking Sky is also still around and in service as the Boudicca for Fred Olsen Cruise Lines.

The Monterey is sadly gone but sounds wonderful and I am glad you got to experience it.

She may still exist, I don't know... but it was the " SS Independence" a beautiful ship that sailed around the Hawaiian Islands with the American Hawaii Cruises.

Darn...she was scrapped in 2009... :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Independence#/media/File:SS_Independence_1951.jpg

She unfortunately broke in two under tow and was scrapped on the spot near India: http://maritimematters.com/2010/06/brokeback-platinum/

I know I posted this upthread somewhere but the Norway was one of our favs and we only got to crusie it one time!

but it was super special, the old timey promenade, just everything about it exuded class, except for some tiny rooms! but we had a great room upper and lower and a double bed I think, we had our two kids with us:loudcry:

I know I posted this upthread somewhere but the Norway was one of our favs and we only got to crusie it one time!

but it was super special, the old timey promenade, just everything about it exuded class, except for some tiny rooms! but we had a great room upper and lower and a double bed I think, we had our two kids with us:loudcry:

How wonderful that the whole family got to experience it! I bet it's something you all will talk about for a long time.

NORWAY

REGAL EMPRESS

OCEANIC

we sailed em all once each! Norway was the all time fav, I think I liked the regal empress just a tic better than oceanic, but, regal empress was my favorite ship to shoot pics of in port for years after sailing her

and we did the oceanic as the big red boat, so although we saw her in the heyday of the white ships in Bermuda we didn't sail her till she was a gaudy old bird!

has she been scrapped finally? or sunk? I kind of thought she was back in service recently?:confused:

The Oceanic was sadly scrapped in 2012. I shouldn't complain as the ship had an enviable service life of 47 years and all of those years operated under steam power (a truly dead art of transportation) but I never even got to catch a glimpse of that Italian beauty from afar, let alone sail her. It's a wonderful thing you got to sail her, though, and as I said, 47 is a good life for a ship, since on average, a ship is really only designed to last for 25-30.

SS Seabreeze but at least she's at the bottom of the ocean instead of the scrappers in India

What was Seabreeze like? I've been fascinated by the old liners operated by Premier though I've heard both horror and love stories of the Premier product. I saw a video of the Seabreeze on Youtube and remember reading about its sinking in a book when I was young(er). It looked like a perfect retro and vintage liner to sail on. I saw your comment and thought I'd ask what stuck out to you about the Seabreeze.

What was Seabreeze like? I've been fascinated by the old liners operated by Premier though I've heard both horror and love stories of the Premier product. I saw a video of the Seabreeze on Youtube and remember reading about its sinking in a book when I was young(er). It looked like a perfect retro and vintage liner to sail on. I saw your comment and thought I'd ask what stuck out to you about the Seabreeze.

By today's standards, it was small and intimate. She was a classic liner (built in 1958- under the name Federico C.) and it felt like you were truly going on a journey instead of a hotel like today's modern large ships.

Don't take me the wrong way....I love cruising on the mid to small size ships but there was something about those cruises. It was the first cruise I took DH on. He loved it and has a collection of items he has acquired from E-bay!

You could tell the crew loved the ship and you could see that by the way they acted.

Research Dolphin cruises because it was a better product under that company name than under Premier.

Either way, I shed a tear when I think of her at the bottom of the sea. Although, I would rather her be where she is, instead of being broken by the ship breakers in India.

• 1 month later...

hi queenie!

we missed the mardi GRASS and tropicale, though we saw them often, we did take our first carnival cruise on the carnivale but not a fav of ours

young and going on the cheep! my wife working for the airlines we did one of those close in deals offered in the good ole days and were ENTOMBED don't on main I think, main 11 for some reason rings a bell?

my bathroom here at the house is bigger than that cabin we had! back in the day many may remember the old threshold doors you'd always trip over to get in the room, and when the door was shut and the lights off, you might have thought you were in the tomb waiting for someone to roll the stone away, ZERO ambient light!

somewhere, here in the close proximity, is our original credit card receipt and booking info for that very cruise booked thru hallmark travel - HAH! feb 1987 booking for a march 17 sailing date 3 nt cabin M-118 almost had it right!?! paperwork is the book mark in my cruising logbook....

they had great cheese, stiff drinks, pushy waiters and lots of woodwork on that ship!