What to do in Buenos Aires until departing flight

KSinMex

We will be departing the Marina in Buenos Aires December 22. We have purchased the airport transfer package from Oceania, so that would be taking us to the airport at 9 AM or so for our 9:15 PM flight :rolleyes: We are considering checking our luggage at the airport "Left Luggage" facility and maybe taking a cab back into town for a tour or lunch or whatever, then returning to the airport about 4 PM.

A previous cruise ending in BA (Norwegian) offered a full day tour that ended at the airport. Apparently there is no such offering with O. Alternatively we would consider a day room at a well located hotel, but I'm not sure how to find this information. I think the timing (a few days before Christmas) might be a factor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You would be much better off locating a local tour company that can also take your luggage and have a private tour of the city and then have them drop you at the airport. Would probably be less expensive that the transfer you bought and should now cancel with Oceania.

Oceania transfers are usually extremely overpriced. Have you checked to see if there is a place at the airport to store your luggage?? Not available at all airports.

This way you can enjoy a tour of the city with a late lunch or early dinner. Don't believe they will allow you to checkin for your flight until about 6 PM. By the time you pay the excessive price for the Oceania transfer and then 2 taxi rides from and to the airport, you will be money ahead with the tour and after lunch how are you going to get around before heading for the airport??

Good luck and don't think it is to late to do what I suggested. Probably otherw with sign in with the same suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions.

According to the BA airport website and other forums I've read, there is a "left luggage" facility at the airport. Unusual, yes. We're not really excited about booking a tour of BA, given we did that last time (about 5 years ago), so that was the reason we were thinking of possibly just going to a popular location where we could walk, shop, dine, etc to kill time. Yes, the cost of round trip taxi from/to airport may be more than what makes sense. To me, a day room, if there is such a thing at a nice hotel would be worth it.

As to the transfers, despite the cost, we do like the convenience, especially upon arrival - in this case Rio - after an overnight flight with jet lag. We will be flying in the day of departure - O's transfers give us that added feeling of security (whether real or imagined). Worth it to us.

I guess I'll check into a private tour and see what's available.

Not all your transfer choices are announced before the cruise. I can only speak from experience leaving Rio, but O arranges many more options besides the immediate trip to the airport. Maybe someone with other cruises which ended in BA will chime in.

We were traveling with another couple and did a Tigre River Delta cruise with a private guide. It was an interesting day; our luggage was with us in the van; and we were dropped at the airport in plenty of time to have a bite to eat and to make our flight. The tour was about 6 hours and got us outside of the city. (Had been there before so did not want to do that touring.) Am sure you could set up something and go on the roll call for your cruise and find others who would join you.

If you want guide contact info, email me: margnewman "at" aol "dot" com

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We ended-up booking a 1/2 day city tour with a private guide, dropping us at the airport. I had no problem cancelling the return transfer with Oceania. OK, now I can breathe easier.:D

We will be departing the Marina in Buenos Aires December 22. We have purchased the airport transfer package from Oceania, so that would be taking us to the airport at 9 AM or so for our 9:15 PM flight :rolleyes: We are considering checking our luggage at the airport "Left Luggage" facility and maybe taking a cab back into town for a tour or lunch or whatever, then returning to the airport about 4 PM.

A previous cruise ending in BA (Norwegian) offered a full day tour that ended at the airport. Apparently there is no such offering with O. Alternatively we would consider a day room at a well located hotel, but I'm not sure how to find this information. I think the timing (a few days before Christmas) might be a factor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The airport doesn't open till 6 pm for the flight.... left luggage is a huge risk as crime in rampant. You will see people bringing in suitcases wrapped in plastic and sealed with bands....its bad...

Don't leave your luggage with any one...left luggage is NOT secure....

The ship will have some tours and airport transit....take them.. or arrange with a local tour company that does this... one that keeps you and your luggage together... The club for UAL opens at 6pm too. Checking in take 2 hours+ its a zoo.