Karambole Tours

Nebr.cruiser

30 minutes ago, NorthernLite said:

For those who took her tours does her bus look like it could accommodate a wheelchair if the person transferred into a regular seat? We are more into history and food and volcanos (DH) than beaches and my wheelchair tears down some for stowing but does not fold. Thanks for any information. We will be there Saturday, January 12, 2019.

I think it would depend on two things. How full her tour is and how much your wheelchair breaks down. She has a Mercedes van that holds 8 customers. There were 7 of us and 8 would be very tight in my opinion. There were supposed to be more people in our group that backed out at the last minute but Christelle had a larger bus like an airport shuttle lined up. If there are more than 8 on your tour she would probably line up the same van and then there would be plenty of room. If your group was around 5 people than I would say that it would work as well. 

Thinking of the tour, you would have trouble in Saint Pierre as there are stairs in the ruins and I didn't see any ramps. The waterfall stop also has stairs but she has virtual reality goggles so that you can enjoy it. I would suggest sending her a message because she is a very accommodating person and will make it work if she is able. 

John 

Thank you for the fast reply, John. I took a good look at the 8 person van and it looks like it really should be a 6. I cannot see anyplace really to stow the chair even with wheels and arm and foot rests removed. We did this one in Romania in a mini taxi and my husband wound up with most of the chair in his lap. And the higher shuttles no longer work. We have decided we are both past the age where "wife throwing" is a sporting event. I can transfer over at grade but not upwards. This is our first time stopping in Martinique so will explore Fort de France instead. Thanks again.

Sue from Westport/Madison 

11 minutes ago, NorthernLite said:

Thank you for the fast reply, John. I took a good look at the 8 person van and it looks like it really should be a 6. I cannot see anyplace really to stow the chair even with wheels and arm and foot rests removed. We did this one in Romania in a mini taxi and my husband wound up with most of the chair in his lap. And the higher shuttles no longer work. We have decided we are both past the age where "wife throwing" is a sporting event. I can transfer over at grade but not upwards. This is our first time stopping in Martinique so will explore Fort de France instead. Thanks again.

Sue from Westport/Madison 

You're welcome, sorry that it won't work because it's a great tour. 

Small world, we live in Lake Geneva and will passing through your area tomorrow on our way to Richland Center. 

Not a big problem. We are doing a back 2 back of 12 day cruises to get out of the cold so even a good creole lunch in town will be great. We have a couple other cruises including the D-Day beaches for the 75th anniversary to look forward to and tours already arranged followed by over a week in the London area. I am really looking forward to that Azamara cruise and the London stay. I have seen 3 ports and Heathrow so to actually explore will be great. My Father In Law was conscripted solely to be at Normandy on day 2 setting up the temporary docking facilities. So just strolling in the heat is good for both of us. 

Do be careful driving tomorrow. The weatherman is saying rain but we know how that goes. And hunters did not take enough deer if you are driving near dawn or dusk just north of Lake Mendota.

On 12/25/2018 at 9:09 PM, Grimster said:

We went on the tour with Christelle last week and all 7 of us had a great time. It was so nice to have a guide that spoke English and Christelle really enjoys educating her customers on the history of Martinique. The treats and drinks were great and the drive around the island was very relaxing. When paying with a credit card we didn't have an opportunity to tip so make sure that you have some cash on hand. I like taking island tours to learn about the history of the island and see as much of it as possible and this is one of the best that I was ever on. 

John 

We took this tour couple weeks ago when on a HAL cruise and everyone just loved it.  There were about 16 of us(our roll call was quite active and we ended up with a larger group) so she used the larger Mercedes van but it was comfortable and everyone really said they enjoyed it.  One of the best island excursions we have ever done.  The virtual reality glasses at the waterfall were awesome for those of us who  couldn't make the trek down.  Highly recommend this tour.

Jane

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, cruisegus said:

Used Karambole Tours in January 2018. To say it was great is an understatement. The guide, Christelle speaks excellent English. The food tastings are various island pastries, fruit and drinks, nice, but the tour doesn't focus on food. Christelle is very knowledgeable about the history and culture of the island. The tour lasts 4+ hours and included the following stops.

Sacre-Coeur de Balata, Replica of a famous monument in Paris

Alma River

Saut Gendarme waterfall

Ruins of the theater in Saint Pierre

Depaz Rhum distillery

Short stop at the grey sand beach (20 minutes)

Christelle was very easy to locate when departing the ship and her van was modern and in good condition. It is a small group tour and she is able to take US Dollars, Euros and credit cards.

Highly Recommend this tour. our rate was now at 65euros pp

Cruisegus, which of Christelle's tours was this?  On her site it lists "Rock and Sip",  Glouglou Fresh, Pile Et Face, and Cabesterre?

In Jan 2018 we took the Pile et Face tour, again I found her to be a fantastic guide and really enjoyed our tour.  I would not hesitate to suggest her tour.

Just a general thanks, to all cruise critic posters that provide their experience.  I usually try to find the most popular tours for an island and book one of those, after dozens of private tour as suggested on cruise critic, I have yet to be disappointed.

Edited by cruisegus
misspelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, NorthernLite said:

For those who took her tours does her bus look like it could accommodate a wheelchair if the person transferred into a regular seat? We are more into history and food and volcanos (DH) than beaches and my wheelchair tears down some for stowing but does not fold. Thanks for any information. We will be there Saturday, January 12, 2019.

I just saw this post, my friend who I cruised with back in Dec., she was on a scooter and did not go, it was definitely a wise decision, Christelle has very nice vans but a wheelchair or a scooter(no way) could  ever do this tour. The Pile et Face Tour is pretty much the whole day it's quite a drive throughout the island, my friend had it booked and like I said ended up not going because a scooter wasn't going to work. Hope that helps Todd

Just to add another recommendation for Karambole tours. Christelle provides an excellent tour of the island coupled with unique food and drink tastings. It was a fabulous introduction to Martinique and I look forward to returning and taking another one of her tours.

(We visited in January 2019).

On 2/2/2019 at 2:48 PM, Grimster said:

Just as a FYI, Christelle now accepts US Dollars

Really!! I certainly hope that's the case, and I certainly hope it's permanent(for Christelle's sake). We took the tour 2 months ago, I handed her a $100 bill and she looked at me like I was kidding. Then went on for about hmmm 4 maybe 5 minutes about how she" no longer" accepts US currency, and on and on about the exchange rate, her bank, that she had told everybody she no longer accepted US currency. I knew she accepted Euro's as well but I didn't know she didn't accept US dollars. 

Sound's too me like she was losing too much money by NOT accepting US dollars(unlike what she told us that she was losing to much $$$$ accepting US dollars, may want to get you a new bank Christelle) Christelle got smart and found her a new bank!!

I've been to basically every island in the Caribbean countless time's, in the 25 years I've been travelling there I have never once been told "I don't except US currency" that was a new one, sounds like Christelle is figuring it out. They have that French thing:classic_blink: going on in Martinique, the French for those of us who are familiar with them, never did and never will get it. She's shaking it off hopefully for the last time and ready to move her business forward without all that sillyness. 

Actually just between the zillion of us here on Cruise Critic, you show me a business anywhere on this planet that does not accept US currency I'll show you a business at the end of a VERY LONG day, that didn't pan out, I'm being nice. 

Thanks for the info Todd

• 9 months later...

When I checked out the website for Karambola Tours, I'm seeing only a mention of 2options being currently offered - a food tour and Pile et Face. Pile et Face is probably the one for us but I have some concern regarding how much time is spent in the bus travelling along winding roads rather than making stops. My husband and I are seniors but pretty active and more interested in seeing the sights rather than going to beaches.

Also, on the site, there is no mention of the guide Christelle? Does she have a different webpage or email?

Thanks for any advice

On 2/5/2019 at 6:16 AM, TTEllis said:

Actually just between the zillion of us here on Cruise Critic, you show me a business anywhere on this planet that does not accept US currency I'll show you a business at the end of a VERY LONG day, that didn't pan out, I'm being nice. 

Thanks for the info Todd

The planet includes a few more countries beyond the Caribbean where your US dollars mean nothing to almost all businesses.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 11:48 PM, RTLS said:

Thanks so much for setting my mind at rest.

I will contact Christelle.

She is the owner so why would she have to mention herself?

I am confused why with all of the great reviews in this thread you would need to have your mind put at rest.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, Mitwif said:

I have been to Martinique before, but never did a tour. After reading these reviews I booked this tour for our cruise in Feb 2023. So excited!

You won't be disappointed my tour with Christelle of Karambola was one of the highlights of my cruise top shelf tour. We all had a blast I couldn't imagine being on Martinique on not spending the day with Karambola. Can't wait to do it again. 

On 3/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, Mitwif said:

I have been to Martinique before, but never did a tour. After reading these reviews I booked this tour for our cruise in Feb 2023. So excited!

BTW I would be excited too. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 2:23 PM, jabcruiser said:

We took this tour couple weeks ago when on a HAL cruise and everyone just loved it.  There were about 16 of us(our roll call was quite active and we ended up with a larger group) so she used the larger Mercedes van but it was comfortable and everyone really said they enjoyed it.  One of the best island excursions we have ever done.  The virtual reality glasses at the waterfall were awesome for those of us who  couldn't make the trek down.  Highly recommend this tour.

Jane

Hey, stranger!!  How goes it?  🙂  Hope you're both doing well and staying healthy.  So, which tour did you do with Karambole?  We'll be there on December 29th and looking for something to do.  Barb

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just did the Pile et Face Tour today.  You will not ever spend a day touring on any Caribbean island with a tour company owner & guide (also a teacher educated in France) who will better inform & educate you with insight & understanding of her island’s culture & history.  Cristelle is a gem! We will be back and will book any available tour with her. Her van was comfortable, and the snacks/drinks at each stop were the perfect accompaniment to learning about Martinique’s food without having to stop for a full meal allowing more time to tour.  Fabulous day!  

Edited by Islander500
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:06 PM, Islander500 said:

Just did the Pile et Face Tour today.  You will not ever spend a day touring on any Caribbean island with a tour company owner & guide (also a teacher educated in France) who will better inform & educate you with insight & understanding of her island’s culture & history.  Cristelle is a gem! We will be back and will book any available tour with her. Her van was comfortable, and the snacks/drinks at each stop were the perfect accompaniment to learning about Martinique’s food without having to stop for a full meal allowing more time to tour.  Fabulous day!  

Agree, we did that tour 4 years ago and it is very good. Great way to see the island

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 6:21 PM, Freckles_51 said:

Hi, I have booked this tour for March.  Since the snacks are not lunch and the tour is quite long, are there any places at the stops to buy lunch or at least more snacks?

We just took this tour and Cristelle is as sweet as the come!  She was such a joy to talk to.  There are several stops but most are not in town where there are stores.  I believe there may have been one place to buy a snack but we didn’t need it.  Some of her “tastes” were small but there were small sandwiches and a couple other heartier things too.  We were not starving when we returned to the ship.  Our driver was a little late so we met her at 9 and returned to the ship around 2:15.  The tour was wonderful!