Magical cure for ships cough

Victoria 82

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say, thankfully, we have never had a cough but 3 years ago I got a terrible cold on Oceana. (I think I got it from the plane though to be honest, as the person infront of us was streaming with cold and sneezing all through the flight). It was the worst cold I've had for a long time but was amazed that the ship did not sell tissues ! Had to walk around Montecarlo looking for a supermarket for supplies to take back onboard (Can recommend one near to the motor museum if anyone needs one!!!!)

We always reminisce about the 'hidden sites of Montecarlo'

Having said that, always made sure that any used tissues were packed away / tied in a bin liner / carrier bag and that we kept the cabin as clean as we possibly could for others. Avoided being with lots of others too as much as possible …… knuckles in lifts too. Just hope I never passed it on......

Yes we had a box in our cabin and steward kept bringing us more boxes.   We all share air on our ship floors as cabins are compartmentalized.  First or second night I heard our neighbor cough.  I thought oh know.   But yes did get the cold going around:( But now  I will be immune to it before my next cruise in FEB 2019!

43 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

There are tissues in the cabin surely?  When my friend had a bad cold, she just asked her cabin steward to bring more tissues.

There were none honest .... I needed more than one box and they needed to be the nice balsam soft ones to keep my nose nice and soft .. rather than resemble Rudolph. 😉 Good excuse for a brandy or 2 though..... 

I got sick on the third day.  I'm convinced it's the recirculation of the air since the cabin are in blocks and share HVAC.   I heard the person next door coughing...thought oh, know......and i got a cold 2 days later....there were two people that were sick on our bus going to airport and i asked what floor they were on they said 8th...we were on 8th...so maybe my theory is true?

I always spray the air vent with a bit of dettol spray every night...seems to work ( I also wipe the remote control with anti bac wipes as that is the dirtiest thing in the room and I wipe the telephone and the door handles )

On 11/8/2015 at 5:30 PM, Victoria 82 said:

Well those of who have been on a few cruises know that the chances of getting the dreaded ships cough are high, especially this time of year, exacerbated by the air condition operating throughout the ship. Worse time is when you go to bed and the punter is blowing out 'processed air' often directly above your bed. We know we can't switch the a/c off and they don't like us to keep our balcony door open, difficult if you are in an inside or porthole (I know, picture window). So what is the answer.

Well on our last few cruises, prior to going to bed we have put a light smear of Vaseline in the lining of our nose. Not great gobs, just a good smear and the results have been that we have not had any trace of the dry throat which is often the precursor to the ships cough. I understand this is also good for air travel, which we don't.

Fair to say another way is to avoid those fellow passengers who think nothing of having a good sneeze or cough into their hands as they make their way to the buffet area. And, when there, using their fingers, try a few chips which look so inviting.

If you have any other tips please let us know.

Vicky

114 P&O cruises and 10 in the pipeline. Don't you just love it.

Doing the same with Tea Tree oil works well.

• 3 months later...

We just got back from a 44 day back to back to back on Celebrity Solstice and until the last leg we were both fine.  I was taking Echinacea and I thought it was working great for me.  Well during the last leg I got the cough,  During each leg there was no coughing at the beginning but as time went on you could hear the coughing during any gathering of passengers.   Washing hands and using the disinfectant helps, but I do feel that the cruise lines have a lot of skin in this by disinfecting their ships.  The other point is to not touch your eyes, mouth or nose with your fingers that have touched any part of the ship.     

• 3 months later...

update - thought i had cruise cough, turns out that it was ramipril tablets for blood pressure.  according to my doc, 1 in 10 people get a cough and bronchitis from ramipril.  she put me on some different tablets and the problem slowly went away.

On 11/9/2015 at 11:28 AM, tartanexile81 said:

Thanks you for these tips. We're cruising in Feb on Oceana which probably has the worst air-con of any ship and my OH has underlying health conditions which mean he picks up chest bugs very easily. I'll definitely be trying the saline spray and always have Vaseline with me for my lips anyway.

The access to the outside space and fresh air is one of the main reasons we have a Balcony cabin. Especially in the time between afternoon activities and going to dinner we enjoy getting out reading having coffee etc and breathing in all that lovely sea air!

I too have a balcony cabin, and like to use it as much as possible even though I am muffled up to the eyeballs.  I go down the road “I’ve paid good money for this and am going to use it even though I may freeze”. It helps to sit on a cushion which I wrap up in a towel to keep it clean.

If leaving the balcony door open at night only increases the flow of air out of the cabin and increases air con, how is it that when I was on Oceana earlier this year and had the balcony door open the curtains blew INTO the cabin. Sure looked like air entering the cabin, rather than leaving, to me, well unless curtains blow the opposite way to any draft or breeze.

Edited by Pentlands

On 5/11/2019 at 3:02 AM, Old75boat said:

We just got back from a 44 day back to back to back on Celebrity Solstice and until the last leg we were both fine.  I was taking Echinacea and I thought it was working great for me.  Well during the last leg I got the cough,  During each leg there was no coughing at the beginning but as time went on you could hear the coughing during any gathering of passengers.   Washing hands and using the disinfectant helps, but I do feel that the cruise lines have a lot of skin in this by disinfecting their ships.  The other point is to not touch your eyes, mouth or nose with your fingers that have touched any part of the ship.     

Actually washing your hands will do nothing against a cold.  The infection is airborne not by touch.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Actually washing your hands will do nothing against a cold.  The infection is airborne not by touch.

Stomach acids will see off any cold germs. Impossible to catch cold, by ingesting them. Otherwise, we would have a constant cold by swallowing the germ laden phlegm, and other fluids that result. 

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

We've been having a lot less problems since we started staying in inside cabins more often.  We have found it is a lot easier to maintain a comfortable air temperature in these cabins and usually don't have to reset the air con for the entire cruise once it is right.  I have put this down to the fact that the cabin is never heated by the sun outside.  In outside and balcony cabins you usually get the full sun either in the morning or afternoon which tends to overheat the cabin, the air con then has to be turned up to combat it then it becomes too cold when the sun goes away and you have to turn it down - hard to ever get it quite right.  Anyway, we haven't got a cold or cough in any of our inside cabins so far but on the other hand we have been sick in virtually every balcony cabin.  

When we first enter the cabin we spray everywhere, with dettol.

Then every night before we go to bed;

We hang a very wet towel from the air con box on a wire coat hanger and lay another on the floor to catch the drips, also we put water in the ice bucket

May seem extreme to some, however after suffering very seriously on our very first cruise, we needed to find a solution that worked for us.

This seems to do the trick.