What's the best thing you've done in Aruba

PGCRUISERS

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody do the Segway tours in Aruba?

Not a lot of current info out there. We did see them out and about both times a few weeks ago that we drove the northern part of the island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064869

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...35&postcount=6

They get very good reviews on CC's sister website

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...tad_Aruba.html

Anybody do the Segway tours in Aruba?

We took an off road tour through Segway Tours Aruba (http://segwaytoursaruba.com/) in Feb. 2015. We took the Lighthouse North Coast Tour. They picked us up at the ship and brought us back. They even offered to let us have some beach time (Moomba Beach) before we went back. Great tour and lots of fun! Well worth the $75.

Vicki

I am kinda surprised no one has mentioned jolly pirates....they have an awesome pirate ship that has 4 hour water trip that includes lunch, snorkeling, rope swing and rum punch all day. We were in Aruba in 2010 and it was the highlight of the cruise. We are going in March and I quickly booked the trip!! Afterwards we had time to shop. And we also just took the local bus to get to there location...it was nice meeting the locals.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise. While there we went out on the Black Pearl sailboat for a sunset snorkel and sail. It was amazing. http://www.Aruba-Sailing.com It was only a $12 cab ride from the port (four of us in a cab) and I think it was $70/person. We were out for over three hours. This included a lot of drinks, fruit, tomato/cheese sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. It also included snorkel gear and two snorkel stops. The boat is very comfortable and we had a blast. We plan to go again when we are back in Aruba.

Just did the Trikes last month....so much fun! I'm not a big beach person so this was definitely an awesome way to see the island. If you've got any questions about the Trikes...let me know!! :D

Which company did you do trike tour with?

We enjoyed land resort vacations in Aruba and a number of port calls there but of the many great times and wonderful memories, dinner with Officer friends from the ship at Flying Fishbone is one of my warmest, most fond memories. We have known that couple for many years and when we knew we would be aboard with them, we planned that dinner in advance and it was a very special evening.

Some new restaurants have popped up since you were there that are really good. If you go again, let us know and I'll give you some new recommendations.

We are going in May for a week. We have been on a cruise before but this will be our 1st extended stay. I would appreciate any recommendations that you may have.

We are going in May for a week. We have been on a cruise before but this will be our 1st extended stay. I would appreciate any recommendations that you may have.

Where are you staying? That will help me determine restaurants close by your area. My favorites are Barefoot, Chalet Suisse, Azzurro, Ricardo's, Pinchos, Barneys, for different reasons. There are lots of others that we like, but these are my can't miss. Carte Blanche and Two Fools and a Bull are rated as the top two restaurants in the Caribbean, but they are extremely pricey and not in my budget.

Where are you staying? That will help me determine restaurants close by your area. My favorites are Barefoot, Chalet Suisse, Azzurro, Ricardo's, Pinchos, Barneys, for different reasons. There are lots of others that we like, but these are my can't miss. Carte Blanche and Two Fools and a Bull are rated as the top two restaurants in the Caribbean, but they are extremely pricey and not in my budget.

We are Bluegreen owners so we will be staying at their resort. I am sure their concierge will have recommendations but I appreciate your recommendations.

We are Bluegreen owners so we will be staying at their resort. I am sure their concierge will have recommendations but I appreciate your recommendations.

Then you will be staying at La Cabana. You will need to take a taxi or a car to these restaurants. You can walk to Chalet Suisse from there. You are very close to Passions, at Amsterdam Manor. It is a good restaurant, set right on the beach. I don't know when you are going, but it would be good to make most of your reservations in advance. I make them online, about a month before I go. You may be able to get into some of them once you get there, but probably not the day or time that you want. The restaurants that I mentioned are extremely popular, and book up quickly. There is a great pizza place right behind La Cabana called Pizza Bob's. Also, there are two restaurants next door at Paradise Beach Villas, Carambola, which is good, and a new roof top restaurant, La Terraza. We just ate at La Terraza two weeks ago. The food is good, but the service is slow. They just opened a few months ago, and are still working out the kinks, but it is worth a visit. Another restaurant within walking distance is Tulip. I haven't been there since they revamped their menu, but I heard that it has improved. La Cabana has a restaurant called Las Ramblas. I haven't eaten there, but I hear that it is good. You will love La Cabana.

• 2 weeks later...
After a few times in this port, we now do the following each visit....

Walk to the Renaissance Hotel, book a day pass on their private island for ~ $100 pp (I know, not cheap. Their boat literally picks you up in the lobby. It makes one stop at their time share and then whisks you off to their private island.

There are two beaches on the island:

1) A family beach near the restaurant

2) beach where children are not allowed

The adult beach has flamingos roaming the beach. Beautiful and tranquil. Lunch is included in your price and one drink.

Paylady, I am interested in any other info you can provide about the day pass at the Renaissance Hotel on their private island. How were the amenities? Do they have a pool, how is the beach, food, chairs readily available? Shade? how were the drinks, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paylady, I am interested in any other info you can provide about the day pass at the Renaissance Hotel on their private island. How were the amenities? Do they have a pool, how is the beach, food, chairs readily available? Shade? how were the drinks, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I spent a week at Renaissance two weeks ago. We went over to the private island every day. Prior to that , we spent two weeks on Eagle Beach, so we were there for three weeks on this trip. My thoughts on Renaissance Island - It is very nice, but much smaller that I expected. The chairs are lined up side by side like they are on a cruise ship, so some days we didn't have a lot of privacy. There are palm trees planted along the beachy areas, providing some shade, and a few palapas, which go very quickly. The restaurant burned down a few months ago, but they have set up a make shift bar and grill, and offer a handful of lunch choices, like salads and sandwiches. Everything we had was good. They have a few servers that come around to take drink orders on the beach. There were tons of flies everywhere the entire week. This seems to be an ongoing complaint. We didn't see many mosquitoes, but they can be bad at times, especially around dusk. The island is very brushy. There is a nature trail, but they warn people that it can be full of mosquitoes. The beach areas are small, more like a lagoon. There is no pool on the private island, but there is at both of their resorts. I'm not sure if the pass includes the pool. Frankly, for the money, I would rather go to Eagle or Palm Beach for the day. If it was not included in our stay, I don't think that I would pay to go there. The flamingos are nice, but not worth paying to see, in my opinion.