What's the best thing you've done in Aruba

PGCRUISERS

The best thing we did in Aruba was to catch the local bus from the Oranjestad cruise terminal to Palm Beach (for $2 roundtrip) and simply walk the beach. It was fabulous!

http://aruba-island.com/palmbeach/

We just got back and I would second this. The local bus terminal is across the street from Diamonds Int'l as you walk out of the port parking lot. The private buses are the little vans and are not airconditioned. They want $5 each way. The local bus is a large transit/Greyhound type airconditioned bus. The price 2 weeks ago was $2.50 one way or $5 RT. You pay your fare at the ticket booth (wooden booth with the window facing the fence - kind of easy to miss) and they give you a card to swipe. #10 bus loads right beyond the ticket booth.

This bus stops first at Eagle beach then proceeds to the hi-rise area and Palm beach. It stops at the beach access that leads to the pier and Bugaloe bar. There were men offering chairs and umbrellas for $15. We weren't fond of the area - water rentals, overpriced bar, lots of people.

We walked right and went farther up the beach and put our towels down in a shady area behind the Royal timeshare papayas and chairs. This is a lovely spot with both sun and shade (the Royal beach bar is there - just a shack with bar stools and a foot wash on the side which we used when we left). The malecon is directly behind.

After we got settled we walked around a bit. It you cut through the Playa Linda resort a little farther up the beach or we walked on the malecon, there is a convenience store attached to the front. My son bought beer for I believe $18 for a 6pk. He bought IPA's so reg. beer may be cheaper. We spotted a dunkin donuts attached to the back of another hotel on the walk back and I got an iced coffee. They also gave us ice for our beach bag full of beer.

We exited the same way we came, waited at the sidewalk bus shelter (across from a I <3 Aruba sign) and took the bus back to the port. Super easy!

Edited by tinlizzy

We just got back and I would second this. The local bus terminal is across the street from Diamonds Int'l as you walk out of the port parking lot. The private buses are the little vans and are not airconditioned. They want $5 each way. The local bus is a large transit/Greyhound type airconditioned bus. The price 2 weeks ago was $2.50 one way or $5 RT. You pay your fare at the ticket booth (wooden booth with the window facing the fence - kind of easy to miss) and they give you a card to swipe. #10 bus loads right beyond the ticket booth.

This bus stops first at Eagle beach then proceeds to the hi-rise area and Palm beach. It stops at the beach access that leads to the pier and Bugaloe bar. There were men offering chairs and umbrellas for $15. We weren't fond of the area - water rentals, overpriced bar, lots of people.

We walked right and went farther up the beach and put our towels down in a shady area behind the Royal timeshare papayas and chairs. This is a lovely spot with both sun and shade (the Royal beach bar is there - just a shack with bar stools and a foot wash on the side which we used when we left). The malecon is directly behind.

After we got settled we walked around a bit. It you cut through the Playa Linda resort a little farther up the beach or we walked on the malecon, there is a convenience store attached to the front. My son bought beer for I believe $18 for a 6pk. He bought IPA's so reg. beer may be cheaper. We spotted a dunkin donuts attached to the back of another hotel on the walk back and I got an iced coffee. They also gave us ice for our beach bag full of beer.

We exited the same way we came, waited at the sidewalk bus shelter (across from a I <3 Aruba sign) and took the bus back to the port. Super easy!

that sounds like something we would be interested in. husband cannot take much sun so thanks for the shade tip. do the buses go to the Arikok Nat'l. Park? interested in going to the Conchi Natural pool.

None of the buses can go to the natural pool. That can only be accessed by a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It is a very rough ride.[/quote

thanks for the info. looking at jeep rentals and tours. looks like jeep tours typically leave before we come into port at 1pm. thanks again.