Allure of the seas

nmu1991

Our family of four, 2 adults and 2 boys ages 15 and 12 will be taking our first trip ever seeing white sand beaches. It was my choice going on a cruise verses an all inclusive. I'm nervous whether I made the right choice. We will be leaving Fort Lauderdale on February 14th thru the 22nd. With stop at Naussau, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. My questions are what restaurants are included, activities for the kids. I know they have and Ice rink, skydiving, ziplining, rockclimbing and so on but is there a charge for the use of any of these? Any feedback would be great.

Our family of four, 2 adults and 2 boys ages 15 and 12 will be taking our first trip ever seeing white sand beaches. It was my choice going on a cruise verses an all inclusive. I'm nervous whether I made the right choice. We will be leaving Fort Lauderdale on February 14th thru the 22nd. With stop at Naussau, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. My questions are what restaurants are included, activities for the kids. I know they have and Ice rink, skydiving, ziplining, rockclimbing and so on but is there a charge for the use of any of these? Any feedback would be great.

Would suggest posting on the RC board for more specific information.

To the best of my knowledge there is no skydiving on the Allure.

No charge for rock climbing, ice skating, zip line, flow rider, etc. most have specific requirements for dress, e.g. Long pants for ice skating, closed toe shoes for zip line. They will need complete waiver forms, which can be done ahead of time.

Lots of other free activities like table tennis, sports court for basketball, soccer, etc., shuffleboard, mini golf, pools.

Numerous free restaurants including main dining room, Windjammer buffet, cafe promenade, pizza spot, just to name a few. Again, check on RC board. Some restaurants are free at certain times of day - Johnny Rockets for breakfast, again as an example. Haven't been on Allure since 2013 and things do change.

We were on Allure last March. Allure is a gorgeous ship with so much to do for all ages that you cannot do it all in a week. In fact, the first time my husband and I sailed her sister ships Oasis, the day we got off, we looked at each other and said, "Let's do that again!" So don't worry as to if you have made a good choice or not. You have made a great choice. Just be certain to reserve your shows in advance and your restaurants for dinner as well.

Here is the link to Allure on the RCCL website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=OA&shipCode=AL&br=R

The included restaurants are:

Windjammer

Sorrento's pizza

Park Cafe (great for lunch!)

Wipeout Cafe

Solarium Bistro (breakfast and lunch) In the evening this turns into Sabor Brazilian Churrascaria (fee Specialty dining).

Silk

Chic

The Grande Restaurant (always formal attire)

American Icon

Johnny Rockets (breakfast only)

Boardwalk donuts

The Dog House

Cafe Promenade

Vitality Cafe

Jade sushi

The extra fee specialty restaurants are:

Chops

Sabor

Izumi

Giovanni's Table

Rita's Cantina

150 Central Park

IMO, the specialty restaurants are well worth booking. I like 150 Central Park best. Rita's Cantina puts on a fiesta at least once a week that is fun to go to. It will be advertised in the ships newsletter in the schedule. There is also a Prohibition Party one night - fairly late. You dress up in 1920's clothes and go to it - but you must pre-book. Typically, there is some celebrity or reality star onboard hosting this party. On our cruise it was Les Gold from Hardcore Pawn. He was aboard with his family making this a working vacation.

The shows on Allure are absolutely spectacular. Don't miss the diving show and people rave about the ice show and acrobatic show. The comedy club is also great. Be sure to take your sons to the kid's club on the first day and get them enrolled as this will be an opportunity for them to make friends onboard and meet kids their age to hang out with. The clubs are great and your sons will have a lot of fun and age appropriate things to do if they join in.

I will tell you I have done both all-inclusive and cruise ships and I overall prefer to cruise since we get to go to different ports every day. Allure is the largest ship in the world right now. You are truly privileged to be sailing on this magnificent ship. It really is a sight to behold and so very spectacular. I don't think there is any reason for you to be nervous about going on this cruise at all.

My main advice is to buy some Bonine and bring it along just in case anyone gets seasick - you are more likely to have a problem on a small boat going out to snorkel than on Alure itself, so always take Bonine on the morning of when you might be on a small boat.

My expectation is that you and your family will have an amazing first cruise and be spoiled for life!

Hello nmu1991, you have picked a great cruise to go on with a 12 and 15 year old, they will not be bored! I went on the sister ship ( Oasis ) last year with a group of friends. I prepared an information book about the ship and ports. It will be the same as the Alure with a few of the restaurant names changed and the main theatre show is different. If you would like the book I can send you a PDF copy just send me your e-mail. My name is Steve and my e-mail is smbradley283 at gmail dot com.