Shore Excursion Questions through HAL-Rome

cormike1

We are doing a Med cruise next Sept. I was looking on the main web page of HAL's shore excursions and saw that there was a train with a car for HAL people going from the port to the stop near St. Peters. The tour is 10 hours, a guide gives you a bit of info, you are on your own, you are told what time to meet back to get the train back to the ship. Has anyone done this through HAL as it sounds like what we would like to do.

I am going to have to phone HAL because although on the main excursion page it shows this and is called "On Your Own in Rome by Train" when you check-in for your own booking it does not list this excursion. There are 2 that sound the same..."Rome On Your Own" and "Transfer to Rome" and both are the same price but 1 is 7 hours and 1 is 10 hours. Both are by motor coach...no train is mentioned. I will call and see what is up.

I wish the cruise lines would really proof read their web sites when it comes to the itineraries, etc. There have been a few mistakes that have happened to us with having wrong info given. We actually cancelled a Med cruise with another sister company because it said going to Rome, Venice and Florence but was completely missing Rome when we got the intinerary with our confirmation e-mail. We cancelled and came to HAL. It can be quite disappointing.

Anyone have this happen?

Thanks for any answers to my first question about taking the train.

The special "tourist train" to Rome from Civitavecchia is only offered when there are enough ships in port to make it reasonable.

It may be that for your particular cruise, it is not offered. Best to call HAL and try to get some more information. (But be prepared that you may also get wrong info, or no info, as they are not always fully aware of HAL's shoreside operations.)

Thank you cruisemom42 for that info. It makes sense what you said about ships in port. Unless more get scheduled in for next year, there is only 1 other than the HAL ship.

Sometimes you can call and get different answers for simple questions also. I guess they can't train everyone on everything.

I might have to look at taking the train on our own...hate to be stuck in traffic on a bus lol as I have read that most of the time you are.

Thanks again.

I might have to look at taking the train on our own...hate to be stuck in traffic on a bus lol as I have read that most of the time you are.

Thanks again.

Taking the train on your own is not too hard. If you want a lot of good info, or help in putting together a plan, pop on over to the Italy board. :D

The shore excursions listed on the home page for HAL for a given port are not available for every single cruise going to that port. The one you saw may have been available for another cruise stopping in Rome. You have to check your specific booking for which cruises are available. For example, Hawaii ports will show "whale watching" as a general shorex. If your cruise does not go there during whale watch season, that excursion will not be listed.

Edited by PSR

HAL is constantly negotiating, adding and deleting shore excursions and as a courtesy, they list some on the general website so people can get a feel for what would be available. HAL has strict requirements for excursion agencies including insurance so may drop an agency now and again, the local tour agency may change or they may change their offered tours, so much can happen with 2nd party contracting.

Only the tours offered for your specific cruise will show up under your account's reservations where you can pre-book if you like. Also know that have seen excursions added closer to sailing time so check back now and again. There can also be added excursions offered when you board and these will be in the provided literature.

I've been to Rome many times, but either on land vacations or as an embarkation / debarkation port so had more time.

I'm glad you're looking into this so know all the details. I want to add that if you really want to see St Peter's and the Vatican, it's best to do it with a tour. If you try to do Rome on your own, you'll find that the lines form very early, and can take hours.

If you're not on the tour, and just take a Rome On Your Own type of train from Civitavecchia to Rome, you have a few options - 1) buy the tickets online ahead of time. You will bypass the line to wait to purchase tickets, but still have the line to get in. 2) do a local tour once you're there, like Walks of Italy. Normally I would highly recommend them, but since you're coming all the way from the ship with limited time I would stick to the ship's tour.

I realize that's what you're trying to do, the ship's tour - just confirming why I think it's a good choice, and giving you other information as you are probably evaluating options.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

You might want to consider that just taking a regular Regionale train will get you to Rome faster, cheaper, and with more options. You can simply purchase a 5 zone BIRG ticket (at the train station (and they are also sold by some merchants) which will cost you about 12€ ($13.50). That one ticket will get you round trip train to Rome (for the Vatican you could get off at the S. Pietro Station which is where that tour train goes) plus that same ticket is also good for unlimited use of all Rome's Metro and bus system (not including HoHo buses). There is also a free port shuttle bus which will get you from your ship to outside the port's entrance from where you can either walk (about 1 mile) to the station or simply grab a local bus.

When they do run that tourist train it usually does not leave until after 8:30....but if using the Regionale trains you could be well on your way (or even in Rome) before that tourist train ever moves.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I've been to Rome many times, but either on land vacations or as an embarkation / debarkation port so had more time.

I'm glad you're looking into this so know all the details. I want to add that if you really want to see St Peter's and the Vatican, it's best to do it with a tour. If you try to do Rome on your own, you'll find that the lines form very early, and can take hours.

If you're not on the tour, and just take a Rome On Your Own type of train from Civitavecchia to Rome, you have a few options - 1) buy the tickets online ahead of time. You will bypass the line to wait to purchase tickets, but still have the line to get in. 2) do a local tour once you're there, like Walks of Italy. Normally I would highly recommend them, but since you're coming all the way from the ship with limited time I would stick to the ship's tour.

I realize that's what you're trying to do, the ship's tour - just confirming why I think it's a good choice, and giving you other information as you are probably evaluating options.

If you purchase your Vatican museum tickets online, there is not much of a wait at all. There is a separate line for these people and the only other line is for the security check (which everyone has to go through, no matter which tour....)

There are also a couple of tours that can be booked directly through the Vatican. They include admission. Suggest you look directly on the Vatican website for more info: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

You may also want to wait - for it's a long time until September. HAL may add to your shore excursions or take away.

That said - there are NO shore excursions listed for our particular cruise - yet. As it's in July of next year.

so, be patient. . .

Pat

If you purchase your Vatican museum tickets online, there is not much of a wait at all. There is a separate line for these people and the only other line is for the security check (which everyone has to go through, no matter which tour....)

There are also a couple of tours that can be booked directly through the Vatican. They include admission. Suggest you look directly on the Vatican website for more info: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

Yup. I think that's what I said as well...you can purchase your tickets in advance and bypass the line for tickets. You may or may not have a wait to enter, but it's definitely nothing compared to the line to buy tickets.

You might want to consider that just taking a regular Regionale train will get you to Rome faster, cheaper, and with more options. You can simply purchase a 5 zone BIRG ticket (at the train station (and they are also sold by some merchants) which will cost you about 12€ ($13.50). That one ticket will get you round trip train to Rome (for the Vatican you could get off at the S. Pietro Station which is where that tour train goes) plus that same ticket is also good for unlimited use of all Rome's Metro and bus system (not including HoHo buses). There is also a free port shuttle bus which will get you from your ship to outside the port's entrance from where you can either walk (about 1 mile) to the station or simply grab a local bus.

When they do run that tourist train it usually does not leave until after 8:30....but if using the Regionale trains you could be well on your way (or even in Rome) before that tourist train ever moves.

Hank

Agree it's absolutely cheaper to do on your own with the train. If the Vatican and St Peter's are a must see, that will require some real advance planning. Rome has so much to offer, I have often wondered how people manage with just a day in port. If it were me, I'd take one of two approaches. 1) If I didn't have any "must see" missions of something like the Vatican, I would take the tourist train in, and do some wandering on my own, taking in as much as I could, for example strolling Ancient Rome, seeing the Pantheon, and you could reasonably see the Colloseum and Forum this way as well. But 2) if my point of going was to see the Vatican or some other interest that was a destination in itself for me, I would just plan to take the best tour for that I could. Whether that is a ship sponsored shore-ex, or using transport to Rome and doing an independent tour once there would be on whatever the person is most comfortable doing.

I'm not sure if TOS allows us to post tour provider names here? We took an independent tour a few different times, and on that tour we had a small group of less than 10 people, and it took is into the Sistene Chapel early, ahead of the standard opening time. Without that, you are usually wall to wall people looking up. That expereince was one of those experiences of a lifetime, having the chapel to ourselves. The challenge with that and a cruise is it's too early in the am to be able to get there from port.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

We chose to do this tour in September of this year, it was absolutely perfect for us, a quick transfer to a special (old) train station which is no longer is normal use. Then the transfer which was a direct non stop journey with as mentioned info and a map from the guide. To make it even more interesting to us the jorney was in an old railway carriage, the train stops very near The Vatican and from there we were able to walk to all the sights. Our meeting time at the station was 17:00 which gave us a very long time in Rome and doing it on your own you would never ever have been able to leave it that late.

Rosalyn

I highly recommend getting a private tour group together with a guide who picks up and drops off at the port. You roll call may already have one. On our last visit we counted twenty five private tour guides holding up signs looking for their booked passengers, they stand near the gangway and whisk you away before cruise buses board.

We used Rome Cabs on our first visit. Stefano was waiting when the ship was cleared for departure and we were whisked away. Morning was Ancient Rome, the afternoon was papal Rome. Stefano handed us off to a Vatican guide , you need help trying to see the most important sights in a few hours. The Vatican guide is paid separately. We visited so much in one day, Forum, Colliseum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, look out points, sites,Vatican, etc.

Rome is our favorite city, so many landmarks. If you pick one port to do it big I say Rome is the one.

Since our first visit we have spent days in Rome hotels as well as taken DIY day trips from a cruise. Purchase Rick Steve's Mediterranean cruise port book for DIY train trips. His book drills down basic navigation steps, where to take cabs, when to walk, which train is on what track, etc.

Hey everyone....thanks so much for all of those wonderful suggestions and information. I called HAL's shore excursion number and spoke with the rep. She said that our particular cruise does not offer the train in to Rome. She said the 10 hr. bus excursion will give you about 6 hrs. on your own. I should have probably said that we are only doing the Vatican this time as we will be staying in Rome for 3 days at the end of our cruise. We end in Venice, stay 3 days there and then take the train to Rome and stay 3 days there before we fly back home. So this is the way we figured we would do it. As far as I know the excursions are ready for booking but of course I haven't gone right in to book quite yet. Our roll call is not very good so far but I am going to look into some private tours that have been suggested. Again thanks so much everyone.....I know I can get answers to whatever I ask on CC....such a great site!