Value of booking a suite ?

padgman1

So I'm trying to decide if booking a Sky Suite for the Caribbean in 2017 is worth the extra money over a balcony for a 7 day cruise ( have stayed in both previously)...

DW and I are NOT heavy imbibers....she may have one drink a day at dinner MAX while I normally order wine by the bottle at dinner ( $40-60 selections) and make it stretch 2 days and occasionally have a beer 2-3 times that week...I do like my lattes in the morning, DW would like smoothies..

DW would GREATLY like to have Internet access while I could care less...

We normally eat in MDR with friends...would probably go this trip "alone"....we like the specialty restaurants, esp. Murano, but probably would only go once or twice on a 7 day cruise...we have found the food quality in both MDR and Ocaenview Café to be very good for us on previous cruises...

Extra room in Sky suite is NICE but not tremendously important...bathtub would be VERY NICE for DW but again not an absolute necessity...

In looking at suite perks if booking now, I see

FREE Premium Drink Package $65/pp/pd..........$455 for 7 days

FREE Unlimited Internet Package $299 (pp?)..........$299 for 7 days

FREE Gratuities $16.45/pp/pd......$115.15 for 7 days

On Board Credit ($300 per cabin) $150pp...............$150 for 7 days

FREE Specialty Restaurant(Murano) $50pp.................$50 for 7 days

------------------

$1069.15 total pp

In addition, Sky Suite passengers get use of Luminae for dinner and Michael's Club for concierge services and free drinks, at least during dinner hours..as well as priority services at embarkation, disembarkation, theater seating, etc. ( and I cannot forget the new Daily Delectables in the afternoon)...and butler service for needs...

In comparing prices for 7 day sailings on Reflection in 2017, veranda cabins start at $999 while Sky Suite cabins start at $2099 and go up depending on timing of cruise..........

Looking at this, since we do NOT drink that much, the drink package is mostly wasted, and this is ~50% of perks monetarily....rest of perks would be utilized.........so I guess the REAL question is, is it worth double the price for the extra room, Luminae, and Michael's Club and the utilized perks ( CC points do not matter at this time for me)?

One other question comes to mind..........does Michael's Club offer other spirits that the rest of the ship does not? Could see this as a BIG perk if JW Blue or Pappy were in Michael's Club but not anywhere else.......

Yes, I know I am being (anally) analytical......just trying to weigh everything out here....

You're likely to get two dozen different answers but really you're already doing more analysis than most. The current offer is attractive if you want an all-inclusive experience. Weigh whether or not you think that is important vs. the price and what you're comfortable with paying.

None of really know what MC will offer by 2017. In the past, if there was a bottle on the ship, they would bring it to the MC guest.

imo, it comes down to personal expenses. Is the extra money a lot for you, or neglible?

We have a suite booked for 2016. I can't imagine going back to the smaller space. But that's me.

Premium Drink package is actually valued at $76.70 pp/pd as you forgot to include the gratuity that's included.

I would only "value" 1 internet package, you can share 1 between 2 people so long as only 1 person uses it at any 1 time,

Michaels Club Lunge will have drinks all day, not just dinner hours (that rumor has been dispelled by the Official Celebrity rep in these threads).

Only you can decide if you want the extra space and pay for it. For me the best thing about the butler is having him deliver and drop breakfast pastries and coffee every morning while I sleep so it's there whenever I get up. A sky suite doesn't allow this since it is only 1 room.

I'm usually one to say food is subjective and enjoy it all over the ship, but have to say my last cruise, I did very much enjoy Luminae so do place value there. Maybe it's just because of so many cruises the MDR menu has become stale to me as it hasn't changed since summer 2013.

I look at a cruise vacation as If I stayed at a Ritz Carlton on a beach someplace, it'd be $400 a night plus my meals and drinks, about $150-$200 pp/pd. So if I find a suite for $800 a night or so, It makes sense ($400 + $200 +$200). You're looking at $4100 or $585 per night. I'd take it.

My wife & I did our first suite (S2) in Feb. on the Silhouette. It was a treat as my bonus was pretty good and the suite was not that much more than an Aqua Class cabin (about $700 more per person). The new suite restaurant was not finished so we had unlimited speciality dining. The other nice perk was having the "Suite Beach" at Labidee.

We were back on the Silhouette in October for a Med cruise and went with a 2C balcony. I thought it would be a big disappointment after the suite but, given the long excursion days and cost the regular balcony was fine and the increased cost for a balcony was not justified.

I did purchase the unlimited internet on the October cruise and I think it was less than $250 with the Elite discount. I don't think it will be $299 for 7 nights.

Have a great cruise!

I did purchase the unlimited internet on the October cruise and I think it was less than $250 with the Elite discount. I don't think it will be $299 for 7 nights.

\

Good point, it's $199 up to 9 nights and Captains Club discounts do apply.

In looking at price differences keep in mind that if you book the veranda cabin you would have a choice of 1 of the perks in the Go Big pricing. If the beverage package wouldn't be a benefit the $300 OBC would pay for your gratuities and a dinner in Murano.

We started booking Suites years ago. There were no perks with Celebrity in those days. We booked for space. Closet space, drawer space, etc.

Evaluate what is important to you and your wife and then decide.

I suspect that the use of Michael's Club to be included for Sky Suites going forward will add a new dimension to the argument. Which of course is exactly what Celebrity want!

Phil

I suspect that the use of Michael's Club to be included for Sky Suites going forward will add a new dimension to the argument. Which of course is exactly what Celebrity want!

Phil

You're right. Those Suites will sell out out fast now.

I'd go for it for the following reasons:

1. This might be the only time you cruise without friends, so it's a perfect time to try Luminae. I love Luminae and would probably book a suite again primarily because of it. In the future, unless your friends book a suite as well, you probably won't eat in Luminae if your friends are in the main dining room.
  2. The Michael's Club concierge can be really helpful, doing anything you might normally have had to do yourself at Guest Relations or on the phone.
  3. The delivery of snacks and desserts by the butler in the afternoons is nice.
  4. The included internet is really nice to have if you have a tablet or laptop; you might actually decide you want to look at the news first thing in the morning, or check some sports scores. We used the internet much more than we expected when it was included with our suite.

We are booking on Reflections in March 2016 7 day Eastern cribbean. I booked a A1 cabin for the cost of a A2 while on a cruise with the all in 123go perk. The price difference is $1000. Being that we have the all in 123go and are Elite plus. It just does not seem worth the price. So then I checked out our May 2017 Hawaii cruise. We only got 1 perk with that booking. They wanted double the price we are paying for our A1 cabin. Our other two cruises the suites are all gone.

For us the drink package is of little value, since we are elite and benefit from the happy hour. The internet onboard ship is just a pain to use, so we usually don't even use our free minutes.

The other bennies are small compared to the huge price difference.

We were upgraded to a suite on Millennium and it was nice, but frankly, not WOW, BANG kind of difference. We did enjoy eating in Luminae.

Stayed in our first sky suite this past summer and loved it. Luminae was outstanding and we really enjoyed the priority lines. We bought our own premium beverage package and utilized it well. Next year we are booked on a deluxe balcony on princess, but we booked our 2017 cruise in a suite with celebrity. The price in comparing the princess balcony to the suite in celebrity is about 1000 more. However. Our experience from this year convinced us the suite deals in celebrity are tops with luminae and now Michaels club.

padgman1 maybe I missed it but what ship?

The Skys on Solstice class are basically bigger sized balcony cabins with a nice tub and shower.

On Millennium class while not as quite as big in square feet, they are a nice design IMHO

The BEST part of them is Luminae. One of the best surprises I have had in a long time on a cruise. It is indeed spectacular.

2qcm82d.jpg

qoyurb.jpg

Thanks to all who have replied so far, very honest and favorable comments...

Cle-guy, thanks for updating prices where I had not taken gratuities or CC discounts into effect...

Brenda J, we may be going into this cruise "without friends," but usually come out of them with newfound friends that last...we have travelled with one couple we met on an RCI cruise on Rhapsody in Alaska for several years now, have scheduled another RCI cruise with them to New England/Canada next fall, and met really nice people from Australia on a TP cruise from Honolulu to Sydney on Solstice( need to take this one, Cle-guy !) which we met up with in Seattle last year after they got off their Solstice Alaska cruise....

Tangerinebunny, the money is not a big issue, just wanting others' opinion on the value....although I usually don't stay in a Ritz-Carlton ;)....

Sounds like the suite may be the best choice if only to experience Luminae and Michael's Club, along with keeping perk of 1 specialty restaurant option by booking before 3 January....now to find one...

I think we all place a different value on how we spend our money. Some of us cruise three four or more times a year, others take one vacation a year or maybe every two years. That changes one's view....the big splurge vs how do I want to travel vs leaving money to the kids vs how we live at home vs our cars and so on. Yes, there are the fortunate few (2%ers) who don't care about an extra $1-2000 on a cruise. Everyone sets their own values. We certainly would enjoy Luminae based on reviews, we already enjoy aqua...that seems to be our comfort level. We really don't put much value on extra space on board...we have plenty at home. We certainly don't need a butler..we have cruised in suites (a deal is a deal) but we're pretty self sufficient and just don't need that kind of hand holding....and so on. Others have different views.

Celebrity is currently focusing on (IMHO) the splurge cruisers and to some extent, the 2%ers. Seems to be doing ok on their bottom line....as long as they can fill the rest of the ship with things like good, better, best and similar promotions.

Only you can decide if you want the extra space and pay for it.

I look at a cruise vacation as If I stayed at a Ritz Carlton on a beach someplace, it'd be $400 a night plus my meals and drinks, about $150-$200 pp/pd. So if I find a suite for $800 a night or so, It makes sense ($400 + $200 +$200). You're looking at $4100 or $585 per night. I'd take it.

At these prices, I would consider one of the more upscale cruise lines (Oceania, Crystal, etc.).

If you can afford it and it wouldn't put a strain on your finances, I say go for it.

You said you that you wouldn't get much value from the drink package, but you would drink lattes and smoothies, plus some alcoholic drinks. So even if you wouldn't get full value, there would be SOME value there.

There are other benefits of a suite that don't have monetary value - things like priority boarding (it can be hit or miss, but when it's hit, it can be definitely worth it.) The balcony is also bigger and if memory serves from my one sky suite, the table is a bit bigger, which made eating on the balcony easier. You get foot rests, which for me is a big deal with relaxing on a balcony. Champagne in your room (yes, it's a cheap bottle, but I LOVE sitting on my balcony and watching the land disappear as we drink our champagne on our balcony.)

each to their own. only stayed in a suite once.

differences for us compared to a balcony

slightly bigger room - only sleep & shower on it so no big deal

Butler - not really necessary for us

Luminae - not worth the fuss

2x spec dining . great and saves curca $100

priority embark etc - nice but no big deal

Back to steerage for us as no great value ( TO US !) for the extra£K's[emoji32]

We started booking Suites years ago. There were no perks with Celebrity in those days. We booked for space. Closet space, drawer space, etc.

Evaluate what is important to you and your wife and then decide.

Agree; to me the biggest factor is still space. Even the nicest standard cabin is quite small. Having something that approaches the size of a standard hotel room is much more comfortable.

Everyone wants different things out of a cruise.

For us, we like a really nice room and balcony, fine dining, excellent service and a pleasant place to enjoy a quiet pre and post dinner drink. We like the big ships for their facilities and the pleasure of strolling around but love then to have a quality room to escape to and a more intimate dining experience.

We enjoy suite cruising on Celebrity. I am not saying I wouldn't enjoy cruising X if I wasn't in a suite but the additional space and the additional facilities do add to the overall cruise experience.

What ever you decide to do, have a great cruise.

I think some people that cruise are more ship people while others more focused on the ports. We would fall into the ports group. We still enjoy the ship, but didn't find the extra space that much of a benefit.

Luminae was great, but we have enjoyed the MDR on many other cruises. Before booking a cabin I look at the bottom line.

For example, to book Agua, you might wind up in a cabin in a poor location, but still get Persian Gardens and BLU. Bottled water means nothing to us, since we drink the tap water on the ship. The 14 day cruises that I have booked in the past couple of years, I find that Aqua costs about $1000 more per couple for the cruise. Sorry, the benefits are just not worth that cost.

The Drinks Packages are outrageously expensive for us, since we are elite and have happy hour and outside of happy hour only drink a glass or two of wine.

Suite travel has Luminae and the space, along with a few other minor benfits, but generally at the cost double of a veranda. The difference between $5000 for a cruise and $10000 for a cruise. Again, the benefits are just not there for the difference.

I think some people that cruise are more ship people while others more focused on the ports. We would fall into the ports group. We still enjoy the ship, but didn't find the extra space that much of a benefit.

I'm a definite ship person. My TA to rome, I stepped on the ship in FLL, and next touched soil 13 nights later in Rome.

The ship is my destination for sure.

Re 'port people' or 'ship people' I think this is an important point.

I guess we are a mix! We love itineraries where we have some new ports of call but I also love sea days. On recent cruises I have also enjoyed being in ports often visited and enjoying the empty ship whilst everyone else is sightseeing.

So I guess if your cruise is port intensive and you will be out for long excursions your room/suite is of a lesser value to you.